Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK wrote:
    In a post Sega hardware world that's what they had to do. Wouldn't mind getting a JPN PS2 as Sega pushed out loads of these collections.

Indeed they did - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Ages
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    In a post Sega hardware world that's what they had to do. Wouldn't mind getting a JPN PS2 as Sega pushed out loads of these collections.

Indeed they did - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Ages

Some nice stuff there - pity that the PAL Sega Ages compilation on PS2 was a bordered piece of crap.

I forgot I also have the Sega Ages Columns collection for Saturn - nice wee title that.

I was going on about Wonderboy Redux earlier - but that was a Hudson game for Gamecube - same series as the Star Soldier remake I have on order.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • These weren't perfect ports, but it was a good effort worth tracking down:

1014.jpg

The Ecco/Spinball/Gloden Axe Smash Pack was a bit shit.
  • Played a few levels of Fantasy Zone: The Maze.  It's interesting enough, but turning it into a Pacman clone with weapons was an odd idea.  It does work, but it lacks the appeal of the shooters.  I probably would have got my money's worth out of it as a kid though.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've caught myself on whistling that bloody tune.
  • It's great :)

I wish I could remember the prices of the Master System Fantasy Zone games.  I think the original was £12.99, and the sequel was £24.99, but I can't remember exactly and I put all my mags back in the loft last weekend.  Can't find an answer with Google either.

I just played a couple of levels of Super Fantasy Zone and I think I'm done for the week now.  Decent, but as a 16-bit game it's less impressive than it predecessors.

Scores:

Fantasy Zone: 87%
    Fantasy Zone II: 90%
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It really is splendid on Saturn - it benefits from the heft under the bonnet to render it with ease - sounds great too. I hit a wall tonight playing it - it's effing hard in its arcade form.

I'll be playing on to see what other options get unlocked as there's gaps and space for several more in the menu.

I also want to put it on record that my old 32" Sony Bravia LCD is playing a blinder - this game via RGB SCART on it is stunning. The Saturn 2D stuff actually looks really good on it in general.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's great :) I wish I could remember the prices of the Master System Fantasy Zone games.  I think the original was £12.99, and the sequel was £24.99, but I can't remember exactly and I put all my mags back in the loft last weekend.  Can't find an answer with Google either. I just played a couple of levels of Super Fantasy Zone and I think I'm done for the week now.  Decent, but as a 16-bit game it's less impressive than it predecessors. Scores: Fantasy Zone: 87% Fantasy Zone II: 90%
    £19.99 and £24.99 I think. At least when they first came out.

I played some Super Fantasy Zone earlier. Nice graphics and sound, and some decent bosses, but it was always a throwaway kind of experience after FZ2 for me. It wants to rush you through the levels and there's no real need to think about different tactics beyond the odd special weapon choice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Unlocked another option in the Saturn version called Inflation. When it is set to "disabled" the prices of items in the shop won't increase.

Hiscore nudged up to 115K. The snowman boss in world 5 generates an awful lot of bullets - I suspect far more than the old 8bit versions would throw at you.

I saved one of my runs and the save file is huge - made a big dent in my backup cartridge!! I suspect replay file tech was in its infancy back then. Still - it's a nice thing to have if want to upload a replay as I have a capture device that could be used with my Saturn with a set of composite cables.

• Playing Fantasy Zone 2 for the first time right now, and I'm finding it bloody hard. I'm not very good with shmups, but save states have seen me through to level 3 so far.

Looks gorgeous too.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • Yep, FZ2 is the peak in terms of visuals for me. 

Getting into practice for Super Punch-Out! by playing Wade Hixton's Counterpunch on GBA.  I wish I hadn't got rid of Punch-Out on the Wii, because I fancy playing that again too - an underrated and slightly forgotten update.
  • Punch-Out on Wii is the bloody dogs left one.

Was playing it with Alex a couple of weeks back @Moot_Geeza I forgot how good it is, which is double shocking for me considering how much I love the series.

Definitely NES>Wii>Super imo

Just about to boot up Fantasy Zone...
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Started looking up some stuff on Super Punch-Out!! (will change the thread title etc later), and according to Wikipedia 'It is the fourth game in the Punch-Out!! series'. Can someone enlighten me there please - unless they're counting variations of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out/not Mike Tyson's Punch-Out I thought it was the first sequel.
  • The original was an arcade game

punch_out.jpg

which there was 2 of, then the NES one then SNES.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nudged up to 120K on FZ1 (level 5). I then tinkered with the options to lower the difficulty but even with that I only got to the level 6 boss which is a complete bastard and will require a fair bit of skill and practice to get past. Nice to have played this again though - will return to it for the 1CC which will be no mean feat.

level 6 boss at 1:54

I loved Punch Out on the NES - found it hilarious. I had the later release with Tyson replaced with "Mr Dream" who was, as far as I know, just a sprite swap with the moves kept intact. The original NES game is Mike Tyson's Punch Out - but the Tyson moniker was dropped and his character swapped out when he ended up in the clink.

My big hurdle in the game was Super Macho Man - I actually beat Mr Dream after a couple of attempts without too much pain - but I believe I may have been lucky. Will be interesting to return to it.

The SNES version (Super Punch Out) is excellent too but I got stuck at the old guy with the walking stick - just couldn't get the timing of that one - couldn't even see the attacks coming - so that one is unfinished business. The SNES version has a TT mode with best times kept for each fighter which is nice for revisiting.

Wii version - I completed the 1st run through the career mode - but the 2nd one seems much harder - had diffs getting past Glass Joe even on that. The Wii version is quite brilliant - doesn't seem to have got as much attention as it deserved. There are control options - you can adopt the classic NES style control if you can't be arsed throwing punches - and at the other end of the scale you can stand on the balance board and use that for dodging and ducking.
  • davyK wrote:
    Wii version - I completed the 1st run through the career mode

Same. Intended to go back to it but never did.
  • davyK wrote:
    I loved Punch Out on the NES - found it hilarious. I had the later release with Tyson replaced with "Mr Dream" who was, as far as I know, just a sprite swap with the moves kept intact.

Punch Out was made slightly easier than the Mike Tyson version, not just Mr Dream/Mike Tyson but the game as a whole.

davyK wrote:
    My big hurdle in the game was Super Macho Man - I actually beat Mr Dream after a couple of attempts without too much pain - but I believe I may have been lucky. Will be interesting to return to it.

Definitely! Macho Man is the one I struggle with the most.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Forty five (fortnight): Super Punch-Out!! (SNES)

The fourth game in the Punch-Out!! series.  I knew all about the other three, I was just testing you lot, see?  Released in September 1994 in NA and in Europe in January 1995.  According to the Wiki it wasn't released in Japan until 1998.  The player controls Little Mac, as he fights his way to become the World Video Boxing Association champion. Players, fighting from a "behind the back" perspective, must knockout their opponent in three minutes to win. Players can launch jabs, hooks, and uppercuts against their opponents as well as block, dodge, and duck opponents' attacks.

Superpunchoutbox.jpg
    superpunchout.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

Fantasy Zone Free Choice - Various (03/03)
    Super Punch-Out! - SNES (10/03)
    Jurassic Park Free Choice - Various (24/03)
    Atari 2600 High Score Week Returns (31/03)
    The Firemen - SNES (07/04)
    Powerdrive - Various (21/04)
    Obscure NES Month, 5 games (05/05)
    Wildcard Week (02/06)
    Cool Spot - Various (09/06)
    C64 Week - (23/06)
    Blackthorne - Various (30/06)
    Solstice - SNES (14/07)
    Derivative Platformer Fortnight - Various (28/07)
    R-Type III - SNES (11/08)
    Kirby Fortnight - Various (18/08)
    Wonderboy Fortnight - Various (01/09)
    Chakan The Forever Man - Megadrive (15/09)
    Wildcard Week (29/09)
    Pilotwings Fortnight - Various (13/10)
    Prince of Persia - Various (27/10)
    Pinball Week - Various (10/11)
    Wildcard Week - Master System (17/11)
    Obscure NES Month Returns, 5 Games - (24/11)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still have the cartridge in the box. Will be booting this up and trying to get past the oul git with the walking stick.
  • Used to have the SNES game and enjoyed it plenty. Not sure I ever finished the final tournament. It definitely got very tough.

I still have the Wii game, but haven't played it much. It seemed decent, but for whatever reason I just couldn't be bothered with it.
  • I'm up to the 4th opponent in this. I can pretty much guarantee that this - and the NES installment - would have been firm favourites of mine as a kid. I played Heavyweight Champ for months in 1990, which felt like a bit of a mess when I returned to it recently. The simplicity of the pattern leaning/reactions gameplay in Punch-Out is outstanding. Enjoying this.
  • Dark Souls is basically Punch-out with weapons and interesting ring-side scenery.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Dark Souls is basically Punch-out with weapons and interesting ring-side scenery.

I thought this was a joke, then I mentioned it to a mate who plays Dark Souls and he seemed to agree with it. 

I'm up to the world circuit on this now.  I'm only using save states at the start of each fight, and it's taking me plenty of attempts to beat each character now.  Dragon Chan and Mr. Sandman have been the toughest for me (a certain thee punch combo from the latter was particularly hard to times the dodges for).  I can't find anything to criticise so far - an excellent game.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I can't find anything to criticise so far - an excellent game.

Punch Out games are superb, they undeservedly go under the radar. One of my favourite Nintendo franchises, at least of their b tier games.

Only played this for 10mins or so over the last week but its an easy:
    5/5

and its the worst in the series imo, so that gives you a bit of an idea how much I love the NES and Wii games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Punch-out:

- Spend some time learning the move-sets of your opponent, in a one-after-the-other order
    - Difficulty is high (until you learn said move-set) from the first opponent, with their punches virtually knocking you out in one go vs. your weedy slaps
    - Fuck up the timing, even with an opponent you usually crush, and you'll get K.Oed

Dark Souls:

- See above, but add in weapon and levelling fetishism and some nice walking around between "rings", and take away the charm and whimsy
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Super Punch Out was a great game, but it was as hard as fuck.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It took me ages to work out the block/dodge/block technique for Arran Ryan's combo flurry. Very satisfying once you suss it though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Arran Ryan is an enjoyable fight even once you master him. The TT mode gives you a reason to go back - that's what I like about the SNES version.
  • Yeah I'll give it that, TT definitely added some replay value compared to the NES one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!