Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Ah, but looking at the next few titles I won't be participating for a wee while.  Time for me to go back to the original GTA, and play One (not on your list, obv) which arrived yesterday.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'd quite fancy a Psygnosis week next year, so if you don't mind we could use your retrospective as the blurb.

No worries. Hit me up come the time.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    My next challenge is to score 500+ points and not concede in a game.

20io.png
  • I tried playing Xenon 2 (last week's game) but it's nigh on unplayable.
    As a young' un I remember getting stuck at the level3 boss but now I hardly survive level 1.
    Punishing.
    I gave up in the end, my patience is a lot less since I was a kid.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vectorman is beautifully done - really pushes the Megadrive but without looking like it's pushing it. Controls are slick and the presentation is really swish too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 96% possession?  Impressive.

I think some good games age well and some don't, and Xenon 2 falls into the second category for me.  I've played a fair bit of Vectorman this week, and I'm quite impressed with it.  It's certainly one of the best MD platform shooters.  It's also very smooth  and quite stylish looking - an ice level with weather effects looked particularly impressive.  I think I'm on level 7 (which is a rather poor top down change of pace, possibly inspired by Frogger), and although it could do with more impressive bosses it doesn't lack much for me.  In hindsight I should have waited for this and possibly Skeleton Krew, Comix Zone + Ristar instead of begging for my launch 32X + Doom.
  • I was supposed to do this, wasn't I?

Forty Four (fortnight): Mega Man - classic series (NES, SNES, PS1, XBLA, etc.)

From Wikipedia:
    Mega Man, alternatively written as Megaman and MegaMan, known as Rockman (ロックマン Rokkuman?) in Japan, is a video game franchise from Capcom, starring the robot character Mega Man, or one of his many counterparts. Mega Man, released for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1987, began a series of over 50 games on multiple systems. As of December 31, 2010, the series has sold approximately twenty-nine million copies worldwide, making it Capcom's most prolific franchise.
    So, basically there are shitloads of MM games, starting on NES and then turning up in various forms on all sorts of systems thereafter. In terms of the basic numbered 'classic' series, there's 1-6 on NES, 7 on SNES, 8 on PS1/Saturn and 9 and 10 on WiiWare, XBLA and PSN. There are various other offshoots, notably the X series on SNES, but perhaps it's worth saving that for another time.

The basic format remains the same throughout. 8 themed platform-shooter levels, each with a boss, that can be tackled in any order. Defeat the boss and you get his weapon. Each boss has weaknesses against certain other boss weapons, so working those out can make things much easier. After defeating all 8, there's a series of final levels culminating in a showdown with Dr. Wily. Later games introduce extra elements, such as multiple routes through levels, the use of Mega Man's robot dog, Rush, and different power suits that grant alternative abilities.

ev3odi.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

(11/11, week): PC Kid 2/Bonk 2 (PC Engine, VC)
    (18/11, week): Wonderboy week
    (25/11, week): Kirby week

(02/12, fortnight): Solstice II/Equinox (SNES)
    (16/12, week): Fantasy Zone (MS)
    (23/12, fortnight inc. Christmas break): Pinball free choice

(06/01, fortnight): Blackthorne (various)
    (20/01, week): Pilotwings Week (various)
    (27/01, week): Atari 2600 High-Score Challenge Returns
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have MM10 on WiiWare - first I've tried and it is pure old school hard - too hard for me now in my advancing years....

MM10 has a challenge mode with a load of short mini-levels to complete and I'm enjoying that more at the minute.
  • I've not played the recent games, but the difficulty issue isn't usually that bad in MM, once you get how they work. You're not going to race through it, but that's not really the point anyway.

At first, you shouldn't really expect to complete a level in one go, and it's all about trying out different levels until you find one or two that aren't too tough, and then it's about getting the major breakthrough of beating the first boss. With that done, things get easier, as you can use your new powers to help you through some of the harder bits. You'll also get back up energy tanks, which can be very useful.
  • Cheers Jon,

In an internet cafe in Malta, can't believe I haven't been on holiday for twenty years, it's incredible.

I'm near the end of Vectorman, but I struggled with a few of the top-down levels because of the d-pad I was using.  A great game though, I'm gonna go with 88%

Had a good session on Megaman II on the plane, and 30 minutes or so while the wife napped yesterday afternoon.  I'm up to the Dr. Wily levels.

A few thoughts:

1. Wow, this is hard.
    2. That level where you're dropping down and avoiding the horizontal beams took a good few lives to learn.
    3. Are some extra lives red herrings, or am I mis-using the powers?  The excellent lava level with the appearing and disappearing blocks presented me with a life that seemed to place me in a no-win situation after I got greedy and went for it, as I couldn't reach any of the blocks from the ledge that held the 1-up.
    4. The level in the bottom-right was the hardest of the lot imo.  
    5. Once again, it amazes me how much VFM these NES games offered compared to the majority of MS games I was playing at the time.
  • The level with the horizontal beams is an example of what I mean about the difficulty. It's really tough, but then use the time freeze power and it isn't (unless I'm thinking of the wrong bit).

All the extra lives should be gettable without dying. I'm not sure which bit that is, but I don't think there are any traps like that.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Once again, it amazes me how much VFM these NES games offered compared to the majority of MS games I was playing at the time.

Really? Still? I know your an MS boy and thats cool, nothing will ever be as special to you as that console, well maybe the wife, haha

But seriously, NES was probably the most dominant console ever. It had almost ALL the 3rd party support along with Nintendo themselves, which now are the only reason to buy their consoles. NES is a legendary console.

Anyway... Mega Man, I completed the original on VC a few months back and picked up 2 and X knowing this week was coming up. I am a tad busy but will try and get involved before times up.

Thanks @JonB for stepping in and helping out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just found out we got free iPads with our room, so finding the Internet cafe, and possibly charging myself a shitload of mobile fees checking emails was all a bit unnecessary (Blackberry, data services on, roaming off, mobile network off, hotel wifi....does that sound right retro king?). 

Anyway, I went off the menu and completed Alex Kidd in Shinobi World on a boat journey yesterday.
  • I think so mate, not 100% though. So long as your using the Hotel Wifi I think you'll be fine.

Alex Kidd on a boat journey? Weren't you comparing scars with some odd bod?

Robert_Shaw_as_Quint_in_the_movie_Jaws_1976.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The 'extreme fishing' is tomorrow. 

It actually is.
  • OK, I give up. How the fuck do you beat the boss with the lazer domes shielded by destructible walls (that all fire simultaneously every 10 seconds or so)? I know you can destroy the walls and turrets with the rocket weapon, but I run out of that by the time I've destroyed two thirds of them, and I can't seem to danage them with anything else. Megaman II btw.
  • I think I know the one you mean. You have to use the crash bombs to destroy stuff, but you only get so many so there's a specific order you have to it in so they don't run out. I can't remember the order now, but it's a puzzle basically, and it's definitely possible to destroy all the guns with the crash bombs you have.
  • I'll have another go later, thanks. After dying, the crash bomb power still appears to be depleted though, so is that a case of tough luck? Can you use the energy tanks to replenish weapons rather than health?
  • I'm not sure. Certainly if you Continue everything's refilled again, and then use a save state before entering that bit just to make sure. Not very helpful, I know.
  • Going back a few of weeks in the list, I played the SNES Gods the other day. Pretty much reminded me why I always preferred MD/SNES games to ST/Amiga stuff, well action games anyway. I did a few levels and it didn't seem to be going anywhere very interesting. Just not very good when you're used to playing the more solid, imaginative and slick designs of the Jap console devs of the day.

I still like Speedball 2 though.
  • Played most of Megaman X with retroking and another mate yesterday, which was absolutely superb.  I think he said we ranked it 9th in the list of 70+ SNES games we've reviewed.  Three [9]s anyway.  It really is a great example of a 16-bit title expanding on the foundations of the 8-bit originals.  It's also far more forgiving that the others that I've played, assuming you tackle the levels in the correct order, and I reckon we're only 30 minutes or so from the credits, as all but one of the main bosses have been vanquished.  Properly good stuff. 92%
  • Yep, I definitely prefer what they did with the X series, from making the bosses more interesting, to giving them clearer weaknesses, and having the wall jump and dash moves to increases the level design possibilities. The sequels are equally good too, each adding a few new bits and bobs - I couldn't really choose between them.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Played most of Megaman X with retroking and another mate yesterday, which was absolutely superb.  I think he said we ranked it 9th in the list of 70+ SNES games we've reviewed.  Three [9]s anyway.  It really is a great example of a 16-bit title expanding on the foundations of the 8-bit originals.  It's also far more forgiving that the others that I've played, assuming you tackle the levels in the correct order, and I reckon we're only 30 minutes or so from the credits, as all but one of the main bosses have been vanquished.  Properly good stuff. 92%

Seconded, only negative is the slow down every so often, but it's nothing game breaking.
    5/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 4mins15secs.  Look how much the whirlwind gun is fucking up the Flame Mammoth:

We made it harder for ourselves with the lazer.
  • Does whoever suggested Bonk/PC Kid 2 mind if I rearrange some stuff so we can spend a bit longer on some of these?  I'd like another week on Megaman, because I've only played through (most of) II and X so far.  I also think Kirby and Wonderboy deserve a fortnight each.  I'll only bump it by a week or so (which will give me a chance to get a PC Engine emulator working).
  • I'm gonna put this on hold until after Christmas, due to a few modern titles that I want to get through in the next month or so - I'm 8 hours into The Last of Us, want to get stuck into GTAV to see if I can finally get on with a 3D entry in the series, and of course there's Mario 3D Land.  Plus loads more I own that I'm keen on playing, such as Mark of the Ninja and Minish Cap.  I've been ignoring my pile of shame for most of the year and just playing the games suggested in this thread. 

I'll sort the schedule out in early January and hopefully we'll get back on it.
  • Sounds good. I've been playing new games recently and still have a few more left.
  • Currently, the suggested games we haven't played are:

PC Kid 2/Bonk 2 (PC Engine, VC)
    Wonderboy week
    Kirby week
    Solstice II/Equinox (SNES)
    Fantasy Zone (MS)
    Pinball free choice
    Blackthorne (various)
    Pilotwings Week (various)
    Atari 2600 High-Score Challenge Returns

Are any/all of the above still appealing to those who wish to take part? I'd certainly like to play Kirby, Pilotwings and Blackthorne.  Feel free to throw fresh suggestions at me (or vote against any of the above) and I'll arrange them into a list for the year, with a view to starting this up again on 03/03.
  • Also, Megaman X pissed me off so much in the later stages that I'm knocking my score down to 86%.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Open up Fantasy Zone to be multi-platform please - I only have the Saturn version ( I know that's a gen too far but the game was from the previous era really)

The list looks fine to get going and you should have several 2600 suggestions left over from the 1st 2600 week.

Will think of a few more....it's up to the 16bit era isn't it?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!