Dark Souls 2 Beta. SPOILER ALERT.
‹ Previous12
  • There's a Beta on tonight. Between eight and ten.
    If you were lucky enough to be invited then post your thoughts here. Feel free to use spoiler tags as an extra precaution. Should keep the main page safe from ruin people's excitement.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hello thread
  • i'll maybe make an proper effort to get into it this time round, i want videos and graphics
  • I shall be there for the full two hours. I'm quite nervous! I reckon it's gonna be proper nails...
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    Im set and ready to go, I suck at Dark Souls so I expect no change here.
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • Can't wait to hear some of your stories, guys.

Mess some folks up.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    gonna try get my shitty recorder dongle thingy to work then il stream it.
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Wife not back. Kids playing up. Alarm bells ringing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hoe do i politely phrase 'i know ive not seen you all day, but i don't want to see you all evening either'?
  • So what's the deal with this beta then? I've installed and updated but when I boot it up it tells me I don't have the latest version. Anyone else? Hope I can get on right away.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    gonna try ps3 version now
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    downloaded a 105mb patch, Now it says servers not ready yet so im guessing im good to go
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    In!
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    worked for me at 8 on the dot, Had a quick go solo then joined a few others and got to the boss. Looks nice but to me it all feels a lot faster and maybe its cos its a beta, But everyone was in a hurry.

The opening area is good enough albeit small and blocked off. I tried the sorceror build which had a handful of spells and pick ups. Joining games was quick and easy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Very dark souls. Got miles, died, no hope of regaining those souls!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Didn't find odd yet. Ended up in the catacombs killed by a skelly owners fireball! Some phantom sickle dudes there too. Yoiks.
  • I got no where but summoned and was summoned. This is dark souls + really.
    More of what you love with some slight changes.
    And it's a definite day one purchase for me.
    Recorded eighteen minutes of it. If anyone is interested.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Got to the boss. Just like the totg guy. Same skellies and pinwheels. Hope is not TOO similar to the original.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Summoning now keeps failing for me. And no divine weapon :-(. Is there loads more after the boss??
  • Watched someone stream this to the Skellords. He wasn't very good - picked a dodgy build and obviously wasn't much cop at dodging - so it was frustrating.

Seen enough to know I'll pick it up, anyway.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    so I'm kinda out of practice, so gave up at the boss and tried some other classes.  Hope you don't say I just did the beta's prelude and then it got amazeballs.  suspect you will :-(.

Thoughts then:
     - it's not been dumbed down
     - it's VERY derivative from the original, perhaps unsurprisingly.  Not clear how much of that is the bit chosen.  But nearly all the baddies felt familiar, the jumpy guys from the parish underground, the skellies from the catabombs etc.  and even the areas 'felt' the same - catacombs, hint of votd, hint of Demon's Souls 4-2, etc.
     - interesting changes - life ember (or whatever it was called); three slots per hand; 
     - I didn't have a torch, but that dynamic lighting did seem interesting.  in the first room, breaking the windows to see what was going on was a nice touch
     - network code let me down after the first half hour.  or maybe everyone was passed the boss by then apart from me!!
     - stuff like keys to unlock bonfires felt good
     - you could buy humanity!
     - graphics pretty similar really, dynamic lighting aside
     - dual wielding is fun, but frickin risky!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    When's it out?
  • BONE WHEELS ARE BACK...

So, I got in a full two hours play and I can safely say it's fucking fantastic.

It's more Dark Souls definitely. All the stuff is there:- invading with cracked Red Eye Orbs, estus flasks, summoning with soap stones, darkness, etc.

I managed to see pretty much everything that was on offer as far as I can tell. (There is a hell of a lot more to those first sections than you initially think.)

Enemies are far more aggressive now, and much harder to get behind. They jump around loads and can really lay into you if they're not alone. I got a few good parries in but the repostes seem to be harder to pull off. The new back stab animation on some of the weapons is fucking awesome.

Movement is much faster and very slick. Switching from one handed to two handed now takes a little more time to complete the animation. The parry animation is longer and harder to time. Graphically it looks nice, textures didn't seem as smooth but i was on a different tv so hard to tell. Animation is lovely, as are the spot effects. Combat still has that lovely oomph behind it.

The menu system has been refined nicely, although I couldn't find the option for some item descriptions. I played as warrior and the ability to carry three right hand weapons seemed a bit overkill, and didn't appear to have any impact on my equipment load, again, maybe it's just the beta test.

I invaded a few times, (you now turn yourself human with a human effigy, not humanity?) I beat the first two people I met. It all seems fairly normal and can't see any radical changes to the whole system: - even down to the placement of signs and waiting around for an invasion, I was a little miffed that nothing more seems to have been done with this aspect of the game but time will tell. There was a red phantom waiting at the top of the bridge right at the start, anyone else see him?

The whole thing was very solid and it's all very promising. I enjoyed it thoroughly. My only concern was that the whole thing was very easy, even by normal game standards. I died ten times in two hours and three of those deaths were from cliff falls. Also not sure about the life gems - they were in abundance and enemies dropped them regularly. The fact that you can use the scenery like trees to move behind while you heal with them might make them a little OP. I'm fairly certain you wouldn't get that amount in the final release. I finished with over twenty and if uninterrupted, they fill your health bar completely. They are a good idea though, as estus now takes even longer to swig.

So a solid two hours with my most anticipated game of 2014 and I'm impressed. I'm very glad it was only two hours...

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Let's have a look at some of this footage then. I never tried the first one so let's see what all the fuss is about.
  • Try the first one, it's what all the fuss was about and it's usually at most £15 in every shop
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message

Looking good. The upper has put a fair few vids up.
  • Well I've just discovered there were two bosses in the beta! Must've missed something somewhere then. Kind of glad really. I can't be believe we've still got six months to wait, it's agonising.
  • I'm kind of glad I just had a small taste. Can't wait for the release. Both of my brother's have a birthday near release date. Looks like I'll be getting this for them and me I think.
    Plays just like dark souls, interested to see what the different soap stones do.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Looking good. Can't wait to police you scallywags who think they can just jump in a random's game and slap his shit.
  • So here's me up nice and early for the second beta, only to realise after a coffee that the clocks have gone back and I've got another hour yet. Fuck.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    suposedly up today for ps+ members too.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!