Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • I've now played the first level of the story mode too, and noticed that there are minor changes to the pickups and enemy vitality, making it slightly easier (although you start with less lives).
  • Nobody playing GTA this week then? ;)

I'm away anyway, so no games for me atm.
  • Actraiser (SNES)

Half action platformer half god simulator, there are better examples of both genres on the SNES but being someone who's not into the latter, the relative simplicity of it meant I got more out of it - less is more as they say. The platform levels aren't amazing but it plays solid enough and yeah the music is superb.

4/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I did finish Soul Blazer too before leaving. Still love it, simple as it is. And the music is even better than Actraiser's btw.
  • Whats Soul Blazer like?

I've never played it. Just done a quick Wiki search and it says its an Action RPG. Is it quite Zelda/Secret of Mana 'ish?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Back from the US middle of last week and haven't picked a controller up. The flight back from Vegas totally wrecked me (8 hrs time difference) and had headaches accompanying the jetlag.

I have GTA 2 for the Dreamcast which was still implemented in the top down view which I actually find more appealing than 3D yawn-around - will give that a pop.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Whats Soul Blazer like?

I've never played it. Just done a quick Wiki search and it says its an Action RPG. Is it quite Zelda/Secret of Mana 'ish?
    Mildly Zeldaish. Quite simple and not too lengthy. More based on combat than puzzles.

• Ah, forgot about this.  Will update the OP to GTA tomorrow, but I'm supposed to be selecting two of four tracks for various parts of my wedding next month, and I've spent over two hours fretting about it.  Plus ordering the invitations took ages.  And Breaking Bad. 

I got to level three on the arcade mode of Actraiser, which was pretty damn tough I thought.  The spikes on level two kill you instantly, for example, whereas Youtube suggests they only take one bar of health on the original mode.  I'm going to continue playing this on my handheld this week, whilst playing the original GTA on my PS3, so will hold off on my score for a couple of days.  At the moment, I'm thinking I really like the simplicity of that mode, although there are clearly far better examples of the genre on the 16-bit machines once you strip it of the God mode.  Which I shouldn't have done. 
  • Play the full game, ffs man.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Play the full game, ffs man.

Yeah - playing both bits is kind of the point of the game - otherwise you are left with a humdrum hack and slash,

• I know, I know. Been busy/lazy.
  • Forty (fortnight): Grand Theft Auto (PC, Playstation)

Where it all began.  Rockstar's controversial top down, city-based, open world (according to Wikipedia, although was that phrase used for games in 1997?), action crime adventure.  Various missions are set for completion, such as bank robberies, assassinations, and Dity Harry style phone box relays.  The game was originally due to be named Race 'n Chase, and was nearly cancelled due to troubled production.  Was awarded a BBFC 18 rating in the UK, if my memory serves me correctly.

gtaretrogta.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

(07/10, week): New Zealand story (various)
    (14/10, week): Bitmap Bros free choice
    (21/10, week): Vectorman (MD, compilations)
    (28/10, fortnight): Free choice Megaman
    (11/11, week): PC Kid 2/Bonk 2 (PC Engine, VC)
    (18/11, week): Wonderboy week
    (25/11, week): Kirby week

(02/12, fortnight): Solstice II/Equinox (SNES)
    (16/12, week): Fantasy Zone (MS)
    (23/12, fortnight inc. Christmas break): Pinball free choice
    (06/01, fortnight): Blackthorne (various)
    (20/01, week): Pilotwings Week (various)
    (27/01, week): Atari 2600 High-Score Challenge Returns
  • Non-interesting fact:  I recorded the title theme onto an audio tape once.
  • Three or four (occasionally five or six) of us play a game for a designated amount of time - two weeks for this one - then discuss it.  Occasionally we do scores and stuff.
  • gta1 has an awful scoring/progression mechanic, there is little to distinguish between missions, it's too hard to lose wanted level and the maps are unwieldy. Basically its a nice idea done badly.
  • I played a bit of GTA2 last night. Really not as enjoyable as I remember and I was never a huge fan of the series even back then.

I'll give it one more go and have a quick go at the first but I doubt I'll be getting much enjoyment out of them.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wasn't the Playstation version a pretty shoddy port? I remember some slowdown, and I also remember thinking they should have done better given the hardware. Something like Crimewave on the Saturn, a console not renowned for its polygon pushing, looked a lot better.
  • No idea, I played it on PC.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I finally got round to playing this today, and was quite shocked with how poor the graphics are.  There's really no reason why a Playstation game should look this bad, and I'm reasonably confident I'm not misjudging the machine's capabilities in my head.  The controls aren't great either - I'd forgotten that you 'drive' your character around even when you're not in a vehicle.  X to go forward, traingle to reverse etc, which felt slightly odd.  The vehicle controls are fun, especially with the handbrake, and cars like the Dodge Viper and Cossie are amusingly uncontrollable due to their speed.  Shooting is quite poor, on account of the on-foot controls, but it's certainly not a bad game from what I played, and I remember liking it years ago (although I do agree with the lack of mission variety - I didn't get too far through it even in the 90s).  The PS version really was a shitty port though.

Back to business from tomorrow, with the wonderful NewZealand Story - I refuse to let this thread die; I would've barely played a thing this year without it.
  • I meant to do this, I've had the disc sitting in my PS2 in the bedroom, but I've never gotten to it.  Sorry.
  • No probs, just jump in if anything else takes your fancy (and if not, feel free to suggest some).
  • I'm looking at the Bitmap Brothers week and thinking about Speedball 2.  Did I not read something about The Chaos Engine recently, too?  I never played that.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    I'm looking at the Bitmap Brothers week and thinking about Speedball 2.  Did I not read something about The Chaos Engine recently, too?  I never played that.

the chaos engine were excellent.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Chaos Engine and Gods are two of my favourites from the Bitmap Bros

Will give GTA2 on DC a quick blast tomorrow and then it's onto my MD copy of New Zealand Story.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Back to business from tomorrow, with the wonderful NewZealand Story - I refuse to let this thread die; I would've barely played a thing this year without it.
    Me too. It's been a fantastic year of reliving memories for me, and this thread is what kicked it off. However, I have now returned from the UK with a bunch of new 360 games so I'll probably be busy with those for a while.

I'll still try and get involved with the games that I'm most interested in. NZ Story would be one. Is the MD version the best to try? I seem to remember the arcade game getting tough very quickly.
  • I remember reading that the Megadrive version was excellent (Sega Power used to give it 5 stars in The Hard Line), but I think it was only available on import over here. I might play that, but if not I can fall back on my trusty Master System copy, which was a great conversion (that also got tough quickly).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - the MD cart I have is the JPN version - no idea how it ended up on a shelf in a Belfast Ca$h Converters...

If memory serves me it is not a straight arcade port - the levels have different layouts - and I think I remember reading that the same remixed layouts were used in the DS version - I have access to that too.

• Forty one (week): NewZealand Story (various)

Originally an arcade game, developed by Taito and released in 1988, this received numerous ports (of varying quality) to home consoles.  The player controls Tiki, a kiwi who must save his lover, Phee Phee and her kiwi chick friends (this is from the Wiki description and I guess they don't mean chick the way I read that at first). 

The goal of each level is to safely get Tiki through the level, avoiding enemy fire and spikes, and rescue one of his kiwi friends at the end. The weaponry starts out as arrows, but pickups can change these into bombs, lasers or bouncing fireballs. These act a little differently, and what is useful depends upon the player's location. A distinctive feature of this game is the ability to ride a variety of flying vehicles, including balloons, blimps and UFOs. Vehicles can be found ready for use or can be stolen from an enemy.

The game features four main zones, each with four rounds, the fourth round featuring a boss fight at the end. Other features include the many secret areas and shortcuts hidden throughout the game, accessed using special hidden "warp" portals. On certain later levels, if the player loses their last life due to being killed by a projectile weapon, they will be sent up to a special "Heaven" round. Here, they can either receive a special ending or find the secret route out of Heaven and continue playing the game.

gfs_15561_2_1.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

(14/10, week): Bitmap Bros free choice
    (21/10, week): Vectorman (MD, compilations)
    (28/10, fortnight): Free choice Megaman
    (11/11, week): PC Kid 2/Bonk 2 (PC Engine, VC)
    (18/11, week): Wonderboy week
    (25/11, week): Kirby week

(02/12, fortnight): Solstice II/Equinox (SNES)
    (16/12, week): Fantasy Zone (MS)
    (23/12, fortnight inc. Christmas break): Pinball free choice
    (06/01, fortnight): Blackthorne (various)
    (20/01, week): Pilotwings Week (various)
    (27/01, week): Atari 2600 High-Score Challenge Returns
  • Played up to 1-4 on this, just a brief go so far. It does get tricky quite quickly - I think maybe I need a pick-up to get through an underwater section without running out of air? Anyway, I suck at it, and I've died loads, but it's still great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!