Ouya emulators?
  • I'm trying to track one of these down for this sole reason. Does anyone on here have one, and if you do, have you tried the emulators and just how good are they? I currently have a silent HTPC built on the Intel Atom D525 1.8Ghz cpu with 4Gb Ram connected to my tv, and I am curious to find out whether the Ouya would outperform my current unit.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I keep reading the title as 'orgy emulators'. I hope that helps.
  • It does. I guess I'd better go polish my joystick.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Or get three or four other people to polish it for you.
  • I like to be the one in control.
  • Don't know how comparable the specs are, but I'm finding the Nexus 7 to hold up very well running emulators. 16bit or less is flawless, PS1 is pretty close.
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Don't know how comparable the specs are, but I'm finding the Nexus 7 to hold up very well running emulators. 16bit or less is flawless, PS1 is pretty close.

There would be few PS1 games I would be interested in, outwith Porsche Challenge. I'd be looking for SNES, Megadrive, MAME, maybe PCE, Spectrum, C64 and some old DOS games. The Ouya boxes seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.
  • i've love a little MAME box that i could plug my sticks into....
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Beano's done this I think.  My ouya is still in itss box :-|
  • AJ_ wrote:
    Don't know how comparable the specs are, but I'm finding the Nexus 7 to hold up very well running emulators. 16bit or less is flawless, PS1 is pretty close.
    Are you using a controller? Any recommendations?
  • Yeah, I use a Sixaxis; works very well. If you want to root your device, you can set it up over Bluetooth with an app that lets you use it for anything, but plugging it in through USB works for most things (certainly all the emulators I've tried) if you're not.
  • Not against rooting, might have to find a second hand pad tomorrow. I'm assuming XDA is the place to go?
  • For the app? Its on the store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller

I generally find XDA to be talking about deep stuff I can't be bothered with and not always that useful for the other stuff. I'm quite happy to plug my joypad in through USB, for instance; rooting sounds like too much of a faff.
  • Sorry, I meant for rooting the nexus.
  • No need to apologize, looking back it's quite obvious that's what you meant. The thought just didn't enter my head 'cause I know so little about it. Yay for my reading comprehension.

When I did have a quick look, everything seemed to end up at XDA, though, so it's probably a fair bet.

Do you have a Nexus, then?
  • I do, eventually plumped for the mobile version, I have Snes9x on it at the mo but touch control is just pants.
  • It really is, isn't it? I'd never tried to play anything other than games made for touchscreen with one before this and was amazed at just how bad it is when I tried to play Mario World. Works alright for RPGs, though.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Attempting to get PSmobile running on Ouya. No idea why, I think I am short on superSU. Anyway, managed to sideload retroarch for example from the off following something not too dissimilar to this. 

http://www.itworld.com/personal-tech/358540/how-side-load-apps-ouya-console.

The getting the n7 version of retroarch extracted. ASFAIK Ouya will run PS1 stuff. A few I've still not tested, GBA, N64, Genesis etc all swell tho. DS3 & 360 pads work:

I run nexus stock jelly bean on the seven and I rooted with the kit:

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

If you want to get PSmobile running on Nexus follow this:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/03/how-to-install-sonys-new-playstation-mobile-for-android-on-any-rooted-device/

(the mirrors are safe)

sixaxis app is swell for android.

You could always run retroarch on the atom, Pidg. There are install is available:
    (fix for windows dll error - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35)

http://themaister.net/retroarch.html

Roms have always been a bit hit and miss on pc /generally/ or maybe it's the roms? Not tested 360 and many others. You could connect various pads various ways.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • If forgotten about PSMobile existing. Is there anything decent on it?

Not sure what you mean about ROMs being a bit hit and miss on PC. The only time I've ever had any trouble at all with anything [ripped from a cart] was a couple of things (mainly in Ocarina of Time) on UltraHLE, which was quite forgivable since it was emulating a current gen console.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
  • Cheers for the replies.

I think the biggest downer for the Ouya is the apparent lack of games for it and the quality of the controller. For one, I'm only interested in it for emulators and the BubbleDS app for controlling my Linn DS. Secondly, I would be using a PS3 or 360 controller which would negate the dodgy reports of the standard controller.

I was so close to buying one of these from Amazon last night, but I just don't know if I will have the time to devote to it. I don't have time for my PS3 or 360 so I'm not so sure about wasting another £100 on this at this moment in time. It's so easy to get caught up in the hazy mist of emulation loveliness.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    I think the biggest downer for the Ouya is the apparent lack of games...
    Not trolling, but I thought the point of the Ouya was that you can play all of the (mobile phone*) games in the world.

* Okay, trolling a wee bit.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ouya shouldn't have been about a closed eco-system. They should've incorporated Play Store. I've not managed to or find anything about installing play services. I mean Play and Amazon survive off of the OS so no reason why Ouya, Play, Amazon and PSmobile can't exist either.

First and foremost Ouya should be about hardware, else they're never going to make money.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!