Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Kig was better than the original imo. Graphically sound
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've finally reached what I assume is the final boss.  I found the secret platform/staircase thanks to the safety net of save states and being a bit miffed at the measly drumstick hidden in a nearby candlestick (which only restored my character to 3/4 health).  Will finish tomorrow.  The candles lighting as you approach the boss was a nice touch.
  • They did that again in SotN, the candles lighting. Great music to go with it. 

Dracula is awesome, you killed him yet.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nope.  Was playing it on the train on the way home earlier.  We've both got four or five bars of health left.  Tense stuff (if you ignore my full health save state climbing the stairs outside).
  • Finished it. Will post a review later. I didn't even realise you could do a downward diagonal attack until I saw it during the credits. It really is time to upgrade my Caanoo.
  • Looking back at my Bloodlines review, I gave it 93%, but I was planning on giving CIV 90%.  There's really not much in it imo, but Castlvania IV does edge it, so it shows how nonsensical my scores are.  It's a great game with a few minor flaws, and if I'd played it before Bloodlines/Rondo of Blood, or more specifically back in the 90s, I probably would have marked it higher.  As much as I'm sure I'd prefer the straightforward platforming of the 16-bit titles, I can also see, having played Dust: An Elysian Tale, how the gameplay would be suited to the map-based backtracking/unlocking areas format Super Metroid, so Symphony of the Night is a maybe for me at some point.  I like the way the Megadrive and SNES games had different abilities (diagonal whipping in the Nintendo one, for example), and there's good times to be had with both, much like Ghouls n Ghosts vs Super Ghouls n Ghosts, which lacked the earlier game's multi directional weapon throwing, but included a double jump.   

I feel like I've caught up with the franchise now, and would even consider playing the current gen effort if it wasn't so long.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you have a notion for more linear Castlevania there's Castlevania Chronicles for PS1 which is a port of the Sharp computer game that was a Japan only release.

It's quite nice and there's an original and redux mode which touches the graphics and music up a bit and dispenses with some of the original mode's frustrations such as not being able to change direction mid jump. There's also a time trial mode unlocked on completion.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Perfect
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • @Moot: you not played SotN before? It's only a maybe? You're crazy. Play that game now, you silly man.
  • Thirty five (fortnight): Free Choice Parodius
    (Taken directly from Wikipedia, as it's too hot to put any effort in today):

The Parodius series is a series of horizontally scrolling shooters developed by Konami.  The games are tongue in cheek parodies of Gradius (Parodius is a portmanteau of Parody and Gradius).  It also parodies other Konami franchises, including Castlevania, Axelay, Lethal Enforcers and TwinBee.  One of the most distinctive features of the franchise is the extensive use of classical music and other well-known music, in what could be termed as wacky ramixes.  The are also a number of rehashes of in-game music from Gradius and other Konami games - very little of the series' music was newly composed. 

Motifs of the series include penguins, large women as boss characters, octopodes and excessive amounts of moai. 

parodius-talons.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

(22/07, week): Scrolling Beat 'em up free choice
    (29/07, fortnight): El Viento (Megadrive)
    (12/08, week): Atari 2600 High-Score Challenge Returns
    (19/08, fortnight): Yoshi's Story (N64)
    (02/09, week): Rollergames (NES)
    (09/09, fortnight): Actraiser (SNES, VC)
    (23/09, fortnight): Grand Theft Auto (PS, PC)
    (07/10, week): New Zealand story (various)
    (14/10, week): Bitmap Bros free choice
    (21/10, fortnight): Vectorman (MD, compilations)
    (04/11, fortnight): PC Kid 2/Bonk 2 (PC Engine, VC)
    (18/11, week): Wonderboy week
    (25/11, week): Kirby week

(02/12, fortnight): Solstice II/Equinox (SNES)
    (16/12, week): Fantasy Zone (MS)
    (23/12, fortnight inc. Christmas break): Pinball free choice
    (06/01, fortnight): Blackthorne (various)
    (20/01, week): Pilotwings Week
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    @Moot: you not played SotN before? It's only a maybe? You're crazy. Play that game now, you silly man.

The revisiting of old sections and map/memory-based gameplay never really appealed to me.  It's the sort of game I'd play with a guide, which really ruins the point of that sort of game.  I was gutted when I tried to buy it in an XBLA sale a few weeks ago for 160 points or whatever it was though, only to find that it still said 800 on the final purchase screen.

Exhumed on the Saturn required plenty of backtracking with new abilities, and I thought that was fantastic, but other than Dust: An Elysian Tale I've never completed a (sorry) Metroidvania game.
  • Ah, Parodius. Superbly mad art design, daft power ups, and brilliant use of music. Quite often genuinely funny. But easy to forget that after a few levels there's a viciously hard game in there. Not to be taken lightly.

Definitely give the original a go on SNES or arcade and then seek out Gokujou Parodius on SNES. A larger selection of characters and even more ambitious graphically.

But it's definitely one for save states IMO, since dying and losing all your power ups on a later level is pretty much impossible to recover from.

I've never finished one, maybe now's the time.
  • I've never finished one either. Actually, I only played Super and still have it on my SFC. Wouldn't mind owning the other 2 SNES ones too.

There are a couple on Saturn too. Which others are there?
  • There's an arcade game called Sexy Parodius. I've never played it though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Saturn got 4 Parodius Games...

Parodius Da! and Fantastic Journey are on one disc - Parodius Deluxe Pack which got a PAL release.

Gokujou Oshaberi "chatting" Parodius came next (so-called because of the in-game commentary) and the series ended with Sexy Parodius. The two later ones are exquisite - though the first two aren't shabby either.

Konami made it tough for collectors as pretty much every port has some sort of exclusive content. The SNES version of Parodius Da (Super Parodius) has a one or two extra levels for example.

Most ports also have an exclusive Omake/Lollipop score attack special stage too.
  • Nice. I always wanted to collect Saturn shmups and beat em ups (vs fighters), two of my favourite genres. Already have a few, I might start collecting soon.
  • Just defeated a boss that consisted of mutiple flying lips (first SNES version, I believe).  Unless I've missed it, the game doesn't seem to be split into specifically numbered levels.  There's a brief space section between stages that you use to power-up, but otherwise the single player mode is uninterrupted by such trite conventions.
  • Yeah, I think Gradius was always like that - certainly always had the space section between each themed background.

The flying lips 'boss' is made by the inclusion of can-can music. A stroke of genius.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Starts to get really tough after that boss....think you get a parody of the 1st Gradius level next complete with bean firing volcanoes...

The music is definitely the high point of these games.
  • I'm right in thinking these are super expensive for SNES right? They're on my to get list but I'm sure there's a good reason why I've yet to get it(them).
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK wrote:
    Starts to get really tough after that boss....think you get a parody of the 1st Gradius level next complete with bean firing volcanoes...
    Aubergines?
  • I'm right in thinking these are super expensive for SNES right? They're on my to get list but I'm sure there's a good reason why I've yet to get it(them).

Shouldn't be. Pretty sure I paid peanuts for Super. The third one might be rare and pricey, though. Not checked prices for them.
  • Cool, I'll have to add a search to eBay. I've been slacking with my SNES collection of late.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So Parodius is very much a Japanese thing...

I have a US SNES (with the plactic tabs cut) so the following are available to me:
    Parodius Da! (Also on NES)
    Fantastic Parodius
    Jikkyō Oshaberi Parodius

The latter 2 are also on PSone but I'm limited to PAL with that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Looks like the first 2 of those are available on a PAL PSone collection simply titled Parodius:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parodius-Sony-Playstation-PS1-Complete-/271212415398?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item3f258509a6#ht_1239wt_958

Bit pricey though!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • £33 is pricey?
  • For something I'm only vaguely interested in, yeah. Most I've paid for an old game was Castlevania X on SNES which was about £120 so I'm not averse to splashing the cash. With this though I'd be happy to wait for a steal at a car boot or pass.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Aubergines?

I stand corrected!!

Super Parodius came out quite early on the SNES but I can remember a Parodius game getting a really late PAL release alongside Yoshi's Island - that must have been Oshaberi - probably worth a few bob now as it probably got a limited run and given it was the same price as the mighty YI it probably didn't sell much.

Even though I have a full Saturn set I would still be interested in picking up the SNES versions. The first one is a really good job - looks excellent and the only real difference between it and the Saturn game is the odd bout of slowdown on the SNES.

Interestingly enough the Moai heads on the 1st Parodius intro screens have their cigarettes removed on the PAL SNES version....
  • For something I'm only vaguely interested in, yeah. Most I've paid for an old game was Castlevania X on SNES which was about £120 so I'm not averse to splashing the cash. With this though I'd be happy to wait for a steal at a car boot or pass.

O righty. Pricey as in toomuchforwhatitis as opposed to howcansomethingcostsomuchimightaswellbuywhirloinstead.
  • @davy: I thought Super got a PAL release, but not the other 2? I may be wrong. I think the third one (Sexy?) may be a bit pricey now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!