Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spent some time on Fantasia....while the gameplay isn't actually THAT hard once you realise you can stomp enemies in the same way as Castle of Illusion, unlike that game it is totally devoid of charm. The levels are dull looking, without any interesting features and are made up of inexact platforms. Add in some dodgy control , headache inducing music and a sparsity of variety (I made it to world 2 and could see just more of the the same thing stretching out in front of me) it is one to avoid.

Not in the "so bad it's funny category" - just really dull and it's a disgrace that a title like aimed at kids has been made so hard so as to alienate them. I doubt anyone ever got value out of this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • lol, you gave Revolution X a 4.5 I'll leave it at that.

I gave Rise of the Robots a 6 or something didn't I?
  • davyK wrote:
    Spent some time on Fantasia....while the gameplay isn't actually THAT hard once you realise you can stomp enemies in the same way as Castle of Illusion, unlike that game it is totally devoid of charm. The levels are dull looking, without any interesting features and are made up of inexact platforms. Add in some dodgy control , headache inducing music and a sparsity of variety (I made it to world 2 and could see just more of the the same thing stretching out in front of me) it is one to avoid. Not in the "so bad it's funny category" - just really dull and it's a disgrace that a title like aimed at kids has been made so hard so as to alienate them. I doubt anyone ever got value out of this.
    I finished it out of sheer stubborness, having spent good money on it. The collision detection is awful and the controls very unresponsive IIRC. That was what created most of the challenge. I think there might have only been 4 worlds, thankfully.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Spent some time on Fantasia....while the gameplay isn't actually THAT hard once you realise you can stomp enemies in the same way as Castle of Illusion, unlike that game it is totally devoid of charm. The levels are dull looking, without any interesting features and are made up of inexact platforms. Add in some dodgy control , headache inducing music and a sparsity of variety (I made it to world 2 and could see just more of the the same thing stretching out in front of me) it is one to avoid. Not in the "so bad it's funny category" - just really dull and it's a disgrace that a title like aimed at kids has been made so hard so as to alienate them. I doubt anyone ever got value out of this.
    I finished it out of sheer stubborness, having spent good money on it. The collision detection is awful and the controls very unresponsive IIRC. That was what created most of the challenge. I think there might have only been 4 worlds, thankfully.

Good for you (!) That's the way it was then - you had to get something out of a cartridge because they cost so damn much - I always avoided licenced stuff back in the day - was always suspicious of it - and this is another example of a shitty tie-in.
  • I suppose I expected it to be a solid platformer like the other Mickey Mouse games of the time. And it looked nice in screenshots. And it hadn't been reviewed yet. Obviously in hindsight it had nothing to do with any of the other games. Stupid boy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have to say i thought the same when I picked it up - only difference being I paid just a few quid for it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    After Fantasia, I had a go at Marko's Magic Football last night (and no - that it is not a euphemism).

It looks really stylish but the control is quite irritating - particularly jumping when there are overhead hazards - the charm of it and the nifty ball kicking mechanic makes me doubt it's a crap game though -undecided - anyone else try this one?

• Yes, I played through it a few months ago after a recommendation from someone here (mistercrayon or gamermike perhaps?).  I thought it was quite good in the end, although once it became tricky some of the levels/obstacles/hazards were annoying.   Not as good as Go! Go! Beckham! but better than Soccer Kid.

Edit: T'was Bollockoff's baby.
  • Master System today.

Alf [3]

Probably not as bad as I expected it to be.  A cross between Bart Vs the Space Mutants, Home Alone and Alex Kidd in Hi-Tech World, which isn't really a great mix tbf.

Cyber Shinobi [4]

Again, not as bad as I thought it would be.  I never played this because it only got 58% in Mean Machines, and it is pretty poor.  The levels themselves are passable but the bosses are awful.

Ace of Aces [1]

I had no idea what was going on whilst playing this.  It seems to be a dog-fighting game where you judge your tilt/ascent/descent by the cloudline, but that doesn't explain how I crashed my plane into a pure white ground.  Probably the worst MS game I've ever played, and I used to own The Flintstones.

Bram Stoker's Dracula [6]

I assumed this would be poor, because it was developed by Probe (who had no qualms producing piss-poor licensed games), and the film didn't fare too well in game form elsewhere (for example the awful Mega CD effort).  It wasn't bad at all in the end.  Apart from the fact that it's criminally short and quite easy, it's probably the best Castlevania type game on the system after Master of Darkness.

Shadow Dancer [6]

This really doesn't deserve a 6, because it's a shoddy, flickery, glitchy mess of a conversion, with ridiculously over-sized characters and unresponsive controls - and one hit kills, btw - but I've got a soft spot for this as a borrowed it as a kid and had an enjoyable couple of weeks with it.  The sprites have an odd digitised look to them, which is unusual for the console, and some of the animation (although low in frames) fools you into thinking it looks ok.  If that makes sense.  Definitely better than Cyber Shinobi, despite its shortcomings, and reasonably playable once you get used to the enemy patterns (of which there are only four or five).  Very short though - four stages and four bosses.  They kept the ninja dog in, but he's completely unnecessary in terms of getting through a stage unscathed. 

ESWAT [6]

Not a great conversion by any means, but I thought this had its charms as a kid looking for Robocop arcade style action at home, and I still do.  Probably only deserving of a 4 if I hadn't completed this in the early 90s, but worth playing just to hear the awful scream sound effect if you hit the indestructible woman tied up in front of the second boss (who reveals his bum crack when he dies).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

C4 this week - best in series as far as I'm concerned before it went Metroidvania.

First I ever played - will definitely be playing through this week. The music keeps getting mentioned but it really is with good reason.

• Yeah, it's pretty great. I had it on SNES and bought it again a few years back on Virtual Console. Not sure if I fancy playing again now. It might be good to play it on emulation just fro save states though, because I'm pretty sure I've never finished it. After a fairly gentle start it gets super tough by around level 8 or 9 IIRC.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Yeah - has a weird password system wherby you have to make note of a grid of symbols that is generated by the level you are at and the name you have entered.

I completed this back in the day and I used to see how far I could get on one life - that's a pretty good sign of how much I liked it as it isn't often I will return to a platformer I have completed -especially a linear one where you have seen everything.

• Will update the OP a bit later.  I've been playing it properly for the first time today (watched mates play through it before but had the sense to only nag them for the pad on the easier levels), and I'm up to a two headed dragon/snake/waterfall boss.
  • Thirty five (fortnight): Super Castlevania IV

Whether you consider this the best of the series, or simply the best of the linear Castlevania entries, most people are in agreement that this is a highlight of a much-loved franchise.  First released in Japan in Oct '91 (just over a year later in the UK), this was Konami's first 16-bit Castlevania title, and almost everything was honed to perfection.  Guide intrepid vampire/vampyre hunter Simon Belmont through eleven stages of nastiness, with the overall aim of slaying Dracula himself. 

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Schedule:

(15/07. week): Free choice Parodius
    (22/07, week): Scrolling Beat 'em up free choice
    (29/07, fortnight): El Viento (Megadrive)
    (12/08, week): Atari 2600 High-Score Challenge Returns
    (19/08, fortnight): Yoshi's Story (N64)
    (02/09, week): Rollergames (NES)
    (09/09, fortnight): Actraiser (SNES, VC)
    (23/09, fortnight): Grand Theft Auto (PS, PC)
    (07/10, week): New Zealand story (various)
    (14/10, week): Bitmap Bros free choice
    (21/10, fortnight): Vectorman (MD, compilations)
    (04/11, fortnight): PC Kid 2/Bonk 2 (PC Engine, VC)
    (18/11, week): Wonderboy week
    (25/11, week): Kirby week

(02/12, fortnight): Solstice II/Equinox (SNES)
    (16/12, week): Fantasy Zone (MS)
    (23/12, fortnight inc. Christmas break): Pinball free choice
    (06/01, fortnight): Blackthorne (various)
  • Missed the D-Headdy section. With Jibs on it all the way. Difficulty notwithstanding a good moan, it's one of the most aesthetically well-realised games of its or any era. Just a shame that I'm too crap at it such that I kind of have to admire it from a distance.
  • Castlevania, much like a few snes games with super but presented as a sequel, feels like a re do of castlevania 1 on the nes. Excellent game though.
  • Best of the series with Rondo of Blood imo, Bloodlines comes a close 3rd.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Amazing game. One of the BESTEST soundtracks ever. I remember recording the music and giving it to my MD owning friend on a tape. He loved it. We used to do that a lot. He gave me taped music for Phantasy Star games and the great music from Thunderforce games.

Anyway, I loved the use of Mode 7, in particular the infamous vomit-inducing (not really) spinning room. And those huge chandeliers were great. 

Anyone remember the guy with dog in a secret room under green floor tiles about 2/3 of the way in? I love the music in that bit, so melancholic, and when you kill the dog and the ghost/guy starts crying. Games need more bits like that. *sigh*
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    I dont remember giving this game much time back in the day. I just downloaded it now, Il have a butchers and see what I missed.
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • It was one off very first games for my SNES along with Mario, Zelda, Actraiser and Super Tennis. Memories. Very fond ones. I still have my copy in the loft, it's seen better days though although most of my other games are in tip top condition. I blame those pesky friends I leant it to.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    I remember owning it but like you I had super Tennis and that was a goto party game. Super Soccer was good in memory but shit to play now. As soon as Killer Instinct dropped though my SNES was used just for that and mario kart with mario world as a chillout game. I still listen to Killer Kuts now!
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • I still own this, it is indeed brilliant and extremely tough - I doubt I ever finished it as a 9 year old. The music is very much engraved into my brain for all eternity.
  • RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    im enjoying the game so far. Feels weird playing with a 360 pad but thems the brakes!
  • You emu-ing it on PC hence 360 pad?

By the way, it's Cuts, not Kuts, but I'll let you off. (Jago's track was the best. I still have the CD that came with the game.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Happy to say I have this complete in box and in pretty good nick. Was shocked at seeing some completed eBay sales - around £80. Cheap cart only of course.

For those playing this cart only or ROM, you can hold the whip button down and then use the dpad to flail the whip around a bit - not that useful but cool - can be effective against certain bosses' fire patterns and those pesky Medusa heads. Think IV is the only version that lets you do that - and there's 8 way whip control too.

Look out for the hooks you can snag your whip on and use to swing across gaps with.....something that wasn't really used enough.

hylian_elf wrote:
    Anyone remember the guy with dog in a secret room under green floor tiles about 2/3 of the way in? I love the music in that bit, so melancholic, and when you kill the dog and the ghost/guy starts crying. Games need more bits like that. *sigh*

hadn't heard of this.

• RetroGam3r
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    You emu-ing it on PC hence 360 pad? By the way, it's Cuts, not Kuts, but I'll let you off. (Jago's track was the best. I still have the CD that came with the game.)
    Yeah my bad, It was late. Yeah im running zsnes. Pad works a treat and I get state save. Im getting back on it in a bit. I havent played a Castlevania for a looong time
  • Ok, couldn't resist. I've started Castlevania 4. Just done a couple of levels so far. That music...

In the meantime I also finished Soleil on the MD. I owned it once many years ago, I think when I worked in Game (or whatever it was then). I bought it, played it loads for a few days, finished it, then took it back for a refund. I can see why playing it again. It's basically Zelda light - absorbing enough action RPG stuff, but simple and not very taxing. If they'd gone to town a bit more on the dungeons, made better use of the items (animals) in the later stages, and made the bosses vaguely challenging it could have been a classic. Still decent enough though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Made a start myself - got to 3-3 before my first "game over" - used to be able to get there with one life....

Doesn't look as nice as I remember though I never rated it as a looker. Plays and sounds as great as ever.The melancholy feeling suggested by the 3-2 soundtrack is excellent.

Would love to see an HD remake that would also deal with the odd bout of slowdown which doesn't affect gameplay but would be nice to be rid of.

password for 4-1.

Name : Davy
    bottle-blank-blank-heart
    axe-bottle-blank-heart
    blank-bottle-blank-axe
    blank-bottle-blank-blank

for emu users - use L & R to select the symbol.

• I thought Story of Thor, Soleil and Landstalker made a pretty good trio as the pinnacle of what used to be known as 'action RPGs' on the Megadrive.  Gamers would have raved about Thor for for decades if it had been twice as long, and I also think Soleil was within touching distance of something great, but Landstalker was THE ONE.  I still don't know whether I prefer it to Zelda III, I honestly thought it was that good.  I tried to play it again recently, but the diagonals are knackered on my Caanoo, as I've mentioned a lot in recent weeks.  Time for a new open handheld console so I can take Nigel treasure hunting again.
  • Just done level 7 of 'Vania. Running through with save states because I've played it so much before. I never noticed how easy a lot of the bosses were before, especially compared to the levels themselves, some of which are already very tough (and some irritating instant death moments). As long as you pelt them with all you've got straight away they don't last long enough to really hurt you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!