Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I was really impressed by the multiplayer stuff on the Wii U Mario game... Ninty should have made more of that.
    It's just a shame the the Wii U is shi*...

NVM.

*I don't often catch a page turn, but when I do...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Multiplayer in the new mario games is shit. The only acceptable mario multiplayer is battle mode mario bros.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Multiplayer in the new mario games is shit. The only acceptable mario multiplayer is battle mode mario bros.

If you take it as it's intended then it's fun. There is little scope for too much skill in the main game because of the general chaos that ensues but as long as you accept that it can be fun- that really only applies consistently in a family setup I'd say.

The multiplayer Coin Battle mode is pretty good.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I can see it being fun to grief your friends but I don't see what it really adds to the game that's good. Boost mode is nice because it helps rubbish Mario players (while the original multiplayer just shows up the difference in class between two players in a game that's meant to be a jolly romp)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My guess is that multiplayer is what people in focus groups asked for. I suppose though that the experience of multiplayer SMB shows why it has been kept a single player game since its inception - can't only have been technical constraints.

It's a pity different characters with different moves weren't used - Having Wario in there would have been good.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I can see it being fun to grief your friends but I don't see what it really adds to the game that's good. Boost mode is nice because it helps rubbish Mario players (while the original multiplayer just shows up the difference in class between two players in a game that's meant to be a jolly romp)

By Boost mode, you mean the ghey screen stabbing shit, right? 

Yeah... That's the stuff I was lauding. I thought that was cool.
    Not the 4 players on screen thing, cause' that's frustrating (but the addition of the boost mode made it funny when I tried it).

Still... That Wii U...

It's shi...
  • Midnight Resistance

Finished this yesterday, it's quite short - only took around an hour with save states.  This was an absolute nightmare without decent diagonals, so it really is time I upgraded my Caanoo.  I thought it was good, but not close to the quality of say, Contra III, Gunstar Heroes, Rolling Thunder 3 etc - probably more on par with ESWAT, which was great at the time but not astounding to replay today.  The music was catchy and I thought the controls were well implemented on the MD.  It's a shame there's no two player mode on this port as the game would clearly suit it.  I liked the weapon upgrade system and didn't think the game was hideously unfair (which is what I thought for the whole of the second half of Robocop Vs Terminator when I played through it recently), although the spinning saw bosses, specifically when all three are on screen, were a massive difficulty spike for me. 

It seemed similar to Shinobi in that your best chance of clocking it would be to do so on your first credit (first life for Shinobi on MS in fact - lose the gun/chain and you're fucked), as losing your weapons really sets you back when you continue.  All in all a good rather than great game.  I'll check out the MAME version tomorrow for the sake of comparision, but I can't find the Amiga ROM.  I wouldn't have been unhappy if I'd bought this as a kid but I would've traded it in quite quickly - 'rent it first'.

79%
  • Right, now someone suggest me some extra homework to tide me over until Metroid that isn't an official thread game.  Nothing too in depth, so no RPGs, and preferrably no Mode 7 stuff if it's a SNES game as my emulator can't take it.  I'll play anything I haven't played before, but I need to keep my retro fix going.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I thought it was good, but not close to the quality of say, Contra III, Gunstar Heroes, Rolling Thunder 3 etc - probably more on par with ESWAT...

Arcade or Megadrive ESWAT? o_0
  • I've only ever played the MD and MS versions.  I meant the MD one, because the MS version was pretty shit even back when I devoted hours to every cart I could get hold of.
  • Can you do N64?

Space station silicon valley is a nice curio to dabble in.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wasn't aware of the Master System version...

@Live

Yoshi's Story is on the list, so it's viable...
    It's up to the gaffer...
  • I can't unfortunately, I'm emulation only at the moment and (he doesn't know it yet but) I'm just gonna invite myself round Retroking's house when Yoshi's Story week rolls around.  Might as well play that one properly.  8-bit or 16-bit suggestions pls.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Right, now someone suggest me some extra homework to tide me over until Metroid that isn't an official thread game.  Nothing too in depth, so no RPGs, and preferrably no Mode 7 stuff if it's a SNES game as my emulator can't take it.  I'll play anything I haven't played before, but I need to keep my retro fix going.

do a comparitive report on the two alladin games.

That or play super international cricket on snes.
  • do a comparitive report on the two alladin games

I love this idea, cheers.
  • I played some of the MD version of Midnight Resistance today, on the keyboard as usual. The controls aren't ideal of course, but they're not as bad as expected. I found the type B control method better, surprisingly, where you hold the button to make your aim spin round. Other than that it's pretty much as I remember (I played the arcade version a bit years ago) - a solid Contra style shooter. I'll probably finish it next time.

As for other suggestions, I may move on to Mercs after. Another walking arcade shooter, this time up the screen. I used to own it and it's always good for a quick go.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    do a comparitive report on the two alladin games
    I love this idea, cheers.

That's Aladdin on the Megadrive completed then.  Didn't start it until 9.50ish either, and save states were redundant as I racked up so many lives.  An incredible game in many ways - perhaps the most polished videogame I've ever played - but 35 minutes of gameplay is a fucking pisstake.  I remember getting this for £44.99 when it came out, and voluntarily pressing reset whilst fighting Jafar as I didn't want to complete it on my first go.  So I finished it on my second go.  I love it, it has so many nice touches (from the mouse ear extra life to to the way knives split your apples) and while it lasts I can't fault it, but it's painfully easy up until the final level and pretty short.  Those graphics and tunes though, wow.  85%
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Right, now someone suggest me some extra homework to tide me over until Metroid that isn't an official thread game.  Nothing too in depth, so no RPGs, and preferrably no Mode 7 stuff if it's a SNES game as my emulator can't take it.  I'll play anything I haven't played before, but I need to keep my retro fix going.

Easy... go back to YI
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:

Easy... go back to YI

I can't argue with that. I'll finish it off when I've done Aladdin on SNES. I have completed it before though, before anyone thinks I gave it such a gushing review based on the first half. There's an integrity to my reviews, honest guvs, even if most of my recent playthroughs are save state assisted.
  • I understand the comparison between midnight resistance and contra. And contra is the better game but apples with apples please in terms of timing. Midnight resistance came at at time when turrican was out. It's a much older game.

Also love the weapon progression. This was I think the 2nd or 3rd game I ever clocked. Batman was 1st this and chase hq
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    I understand the comparison between midnight resistance and contra. And contra is the better game but apples with apples please in terms of timing. Midnight resistance came at at time when turrican was out. It's a much older game.

It's older, but I wouldn't call it much older. 2.5 years in arcade form, half that for the MD port according to the dates I've found online. We've been comparing YI to SMW etc, which were almost five years apart. Things moved pretty quickly back then but I think it's fair to compare games to others from the same console generation within the same genre. Incidentally, whilst digging around for the release dates I discovered that the bad guy in this is called King Crimson.

Which Batman did you clock, the NES one? I'll definitely be playing that for the Batman week.
  • It's a bit older than Contra 3, but came after the first Contras (Gryzors).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    That's a point... Given the Snes/MD thread, the Contra games offer the best possible comparison of the two systems...

The Megadrive version was qualitatively worse... 
    Agreed?
  • Why is Contra the best possible comparison, DR? Why not Catlevania? Sparkster etc?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Everything should hinge on the score that I give the SNES version of Aladdin this week...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Why is Contra the best possible comparison, DR? Why not Catlevania? Sparkster etc?

That's true...

I suppose I'm happy to use Contra as an example, as it was one of the last custom built games for the Megadrive. Created by a prestigious devco too... And it was still no where near as good as the Snes original.

With Castelvania, that was also released late on the Megadrive, and early on the Snes, but I was never a big fan of that game. Dunno' much about Sparkster though.
  • The rondo of blood hack vampires kiss was released at the late end of the snes life.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Castlevania IV was top notch. Level 1 was a bit uninspiring but after that it really kicks in. Marvellous level design. Technically I'd guess that the MD could have done it apart from some boss scaling effects and the odd section like the rotating room and the swinging chandeliers that was done with the hardware trickery.

Doubt the MD would have supported the soundtrack either but most of the game would have been intact.
  • I'm finishing work in half an hour, then it's a quick dog walk followed by a trip to the Catford Bridge Tavern to drink porter and play Midnight Resistance on their arcade cab. I've got eight 50p's; first level boss here I come.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't stood in front of an arcade cab in years. I miss arcades. Pubs in Belfast see floor space as something that holds people with drinks in their hand and nothing else. No room for pool tables, fruit machines, arcade cabs etc. It's something I liked about English pubs when I lived there for a while.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!