Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @davyK seems to know his stuff though so maybe his choices will be better, although I'll probably play the lot.

your selections look pretty good too (had considered most of what you list - esp. the like of Jr Pacman etc.) - it's knowing what people's tolerance of the 2600 graphics would be....you REALLY have to like retro to get anything out of a 2600 and not be swayed by the looks of most of the games.

Have you got a Harmony cart? If you don't I can't recommend it enough.

The only one I'd avoid on your list is Defender which really was a poor effort. Defender II is far better and Chopper Command is a good alternative.

Donkey Kong is bit ropey too but it was quite a technical feat back in the day and there isn't really a viable alternative I can think of...

There are some brilliant homebrew efforts made in modern times but they are cheating really as they use far more memory than was commercially viable back in the day..

look at Thrust and Medieval Madness (warlords remake) - both quite brilliant and could pass for 7800 games.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What was the name of the biplane animal rescue one again?  I vote for that.

Edit: Sky Skipper rings a bell on Retro's list.  Google confirms.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - released by Parker Bros. - up until then they made board games - was a funny old time the 80's.

They also did Frogger and a quite good Star Wars game - Empire Strikes Back - not sure if Minter copied it in Attack of the mutant camels or if it was the other way round - worth trying that one actually.
  • Thought I'd have a go at joining in bit can't seem to get my 360 pad working with my PC. Any tips? It loaded the drivers automatically but I can't find it to set it up.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • davyK wrote:
    Have you got a Harmony cart? If you don't I can't recommend it enough.

No whats that?
    davyK wrote:
    Donkey Kong is bit ropey too but it was quite a technical feat back in the day and there isn't really a viable alternative I can think of...

Kangaroo?
    davyK wrote:
    Yeah - released by Parker Bros. - up until then they made board games - was a funny old time the 80's.

Milton Bradley too, I have a few NES games released by them, most notably California Games and Marble Madness

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Harmony cart is a 2600 owner's dream. You copy as many 2600 ROMS as you want onto an SD card - stick it in the harmony cartridge. Stick the harmony into your 2600 (or 7800 - no 7800 ROMS though) and it boots up into a menu that lets you select the game you want to play.

Essential for hacks, homebrews and all those rare games you never got to try back in the day. An astounding piece of work and if memory serves is priced realistically - get one here:

http://harmony.atariage.com/

...and if you do you get one then as a PAL gamer you can avail of the PAL60 versions of games I have been hacking together.

http://www.davykelly.com

You haven't played Kaboom! until you've played it full screen and full speed.

Kangaroo - hadn't though of that - good choice!
  • Week twenty two: Star Parodier (PC Engine/Turbografx, Virtual Console)

Hudson Soft's answer to the Parodius series; a parody of their own Star Soldier Series influenced by Konami's parody of Gradius.  A vertical scrolling shooter, featuring many conventions of the Star Soldier series, albeit with cartoonish visuals and toned down violence.  Choose from three characters: the Paro Ceasar from Star Soldier, a giant Bomberman, or an Hu Card/cd-rom firing anthropomorphic PC Engine.  This title remained unreleased in the west until the Virtual Console release in 2008.

COVER-Star_Parodier.jpg

I'm gonna leave this running for two weeks, partly because I was late updating the OP, and partly because I've got a lot on at the moment and still need to play Rondo of Blood.  So, selfish reasons then. 

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce. 

Schedule:

Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty four (25/02): Atari 2600 week
    Week tenty five (04/03): Cybernator (SNES)
    Week twenty six (11/03): Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 LOCK-ON! (Megadrive)
    Week twenty seven (18/03): Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Week twenty eight: 25/03): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    Week twenty nine (01/04): Rub you own Rhubarb: Retro Batman week (various).
  • Hodge:  Never tried a wired pad on PC myself.  have you tried selecting controllers in the Windows control panel?  Failing that these work a treat if you've got PS2 pads knocking around.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    2 weeks is good Moot - the games run into each other a bit....

I first played this courtesy of VC on the Wii and initially I didn't like it - thought it too easy - but crank up the difficulty from the default which is set too low and it turns into a lovely game. The levels go on a bit for my liking but it's full of charm.

It also features 2min and 5min caravan modes which I really like and find very addictive.

And you can also play as Bomberman or Mr PC-Engine! What's not to like?

This one further underlines my belief the PC-Engine is a truly amazing console that has a really unique feel to it and delivers gaming quality way beyond it's spec.
  • I should probably listen to advice and just make this thing fortnightly anyway.  I often find myself itching for the next game as it is though.  Maybe I'll do a two week thing for the main game, then take suggestions for extra homework that I can get stuck into myself, so I've still got something to play every week.
  • Cheers Moot. Dug around in control panel and device manager to no avail. Thought it was easily done but seems not. I have PS2 pads but prob won't be picking up an adaptor due to varying time available for these side projects!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • So it seems to make PC Engine CD games work on the Magic Engine emulator you actually have to burn the files to a CD. Not sure if I'll bother.
  • Mount to a Daemontools virtual drive?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. Google "virtual drives and iso", it shouldn't be to hard to get it running.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Week twenty three: The Legendary Axe (PC Engine)

The Legenadry Axe is a hack 'n slash platformer, developed by Victor Interactive and released in 1988.  You control Gogan, who is off to bust some skulls with 'sting', his legendary axe (*cough* shameless pilfering ahoy) in search of his woman (named Flare, which come to think of it may have been nicked by Sega for Golden Axe intheir own shameless act of plagiarism).  Reviews upon release were positive, praising the game for its graphics, animation, difficulty level and diverse music.  EGM and Videogames & Computer Entertainment both voted it 'game of the year' in 1989.

The_Legendary_Axe_boxart.jpg

Look at that lovely box art.  

Schedule:

Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty four (25/02): Atari 2600 week
    Week tenty five (04/03): Cybernator (SNES)
    Week twenty six (11/03): Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 LOCK-ON! (Megadrive)
    Week twenty seven (18/03): Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Week twenty eight: 25/03): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    Week twenty nine (01/04): Rub you own Rhubarb: Retro Batman week (various).
  • I've not played anything for the last two weeks, as I couldn't get my head around the emulator I downloaded (it seemed to work/install ok, but I couldn't find the ROM on my desktop from the menu).  Anyway, good luck to those with access to this.
  • *Fortnight* twenty four: Ten Atari 2600 games, as chosen by Retroking and davyk, and whittled down by myself in slightly random fashion:

Sky Skipper
    Pitfall
    Thrust
    Frostbite
    Bezerk
    Medieval Madness
    Chopper Command
    Atlantis
    Frogger
    Yar's Revenge

1.jpg47181657-8295-4283-b354-2332fa75d4daLarge.jpg

Schedule:

Fortnight twenty five (18/03): Cybernator (SNES)
    Fortnight twenty six (01/04): Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 LOCK-ON! (Megadrive)
    Fortnight twenty seven (15/04): Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Fortnight twenty eight: (29/04): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    Fortnight twenty nine (13/05): Rub you own Rhubarb: Retro Batman week (various).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

For those without hardware, Stella is your friend, and Atari Age is your buddy ROMs-wise.

Thrust and Medieval Madness are latter-day homebrew efforts that are eye-poppingly good.

• I've loaded these onto my Caanoo with no problems, they all seem to be working.  Is it Medieval Mayhem rather than Medieval Madness?  I found the ROM for the former anyway.  Lunch breaks are go for retro gaming again.
  • Played Atlantis and Bezerk today.

I thought Atlantis was excellent - ingenious stuff considering the limitations, I was surprised how genuinely great this was. I cut my teeth on LCD games as a kid so this was a touch more advanced than stuff I sank days into in the late 80's. You've got to protect a city from aerial attacks using two diagonal and one vertical gun - the enemy craft gradually get lower as they move from one side to the other, and on the final pass they destroy part of your base. When Atlantis is destroyed it's Game Over. Amazing stuff.

Bezerk was also very good, although I did get killed within a nanosecond on one screen, which I thought was a touch harsh, even for twitch gaming. Once I got used to it I thought this was a something I could have spent some serious time with as a kid. The bouncing face put paid to my third attempt - an iconic sprite I guess?

I missed the 2600, graduating straight from the LCD games to a Master System, but on today's evidence I would have been a fan, for sure.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - meant Medieval Mayhem...and it is rock hard in 1 player. The difficulty is adjusted depending on which castle you control. I think if you control the blue (lower right) corner it makes it easier but it is still really tough. You really need paddles for this but worth a look if you have some sort of analogue control.

I played Atlantis to death back in the day - clocked it many times.

There's an excellent co-op mode with no central gun and each player controlling a side gun which is pretty tough as you would imagine.

Atlantis has a sequel. You see that little ship that escapes at Game Over? You get to control that in a game called Cosmic Ark. You fly through space in the ark to planets and use that little ship with a tractor beam to pick up animals to repopulate a planet or some such guff. It isn't as good a game as Atlantis but is worth a look.

With 2600 games you need to watch out because the default variation (game#1) isn't always the best. For example I'm almost certain game 1 of Berzerk doesn't have Evil Otto. You can get the game variation details from the manuals - they are all at atariage.com.

Also watch out for the difficulty switch settings. There are 2 - one for each player. Setting the switch to "a" usually makes the game harder. It was quite a cool feature then (still is in many ways) as you could use it to handicap matches.

Berzerk is an excellent port and is one of the few that graphically passes as close to the original...played a lot of it back in the day was well. It's a pity there is no diagonal firing though which appears in later levels of the arcade version. Apparantly some code for that is in there but it was never finished. There is also a homebrew version that has the speech which is pretty cool considering it works on the original hardware.

• I'll have to watch out for the switch settings, I wasn't really sure what some of the face buttons were doing tbh, they all seemed to be set to do something.  There was diagonal firing in the Bezerk ROM I played (from coolrom.com).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'll have to watch out for the switch settings, I wasn't really sure what some of the face buttons were doing tbh, they all seemed to be set to do something.  There was diagonal firing in the Bezerk ROM I played (from coolrom.com).

Sorry - meant diagonal firing by the robots. I don't think the difficulty level switch affects Berzerk but there are game variations that definitely will change the aggressiveness of the robots from the start and evil otto.

We should pick a game variation for each game and have a mini hi-score competition for these two weeks - after all - that's what most of these games are about..

With Atlantis you score double if you use the side guns.

• I'm well up for a high score challenge although I fear I've lost the knack when it comes to these sort of games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    worry not - I'll not be stunning anyone with my efforts. Probably best to go for the most difficult variations for quick game turnover:

Berzerk - Game 9 - no extra lives, invincible otto, firing robots.
    Atlantis - Game 2 - no central gun.
    Frostbite - Game 3 - advanced (starts at level 5)
    Chopper Command - Game 3 - commander level - difficulty switch to a
    Yars Revenge - Game 4 - rebounding cannon shots - diff switch a - faster swirl
    Frogger - Game 5 - fastest speed - diff switch a - scroll off screen results in life loss.
    Pitfall - no variations
    Thrust - game 1 - this one is tricky enough without cranking it up
    Sky Skipper - Game 3 - diff a.
  • I might be used to the Atlantis one seeing as I didn't realise there was a central gun for 10 minutes.
  • Atlantis, game type 2: A measly 57601 was my best score from four goes this lunchtime. Once it all speeds up you can get messed up very quickly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's very much a game of rhythm - once you lose it, it's really hard to get back into the groove - will have a go at Atlantis and Berzerk later and post a couple of scores...
  • Will set my Atari up at the weekend. Haven't got many of the games on the list but I'll play what I do have from it, plus Asteroids. Can't set the Atari up and not play that right?

Moot you wanna come up mine for some multiplayer? Combat and Air Sea Battle are musts imo
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Cool, I might bid on Atlantis on Ebay then.  There's an unboxed one for 99p with 3 days left.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!