Pictures thread. It has pictures in it.
  • I dunno. That hardly redresses the balance anyway.
  • I think blanket agreeing with all of Griff's stuff was, on reflection, wrong. I do have a bewilderingly right wing idea of how economics should work (no doubt inspired by my friends who studied economics) so my world view is all shot as I think people should get paid a liveable wage to do what they love but also agree that bonuses and outrageous wages are what drives competition in the banking circles and although they're all fuds for cocking up so spectacularly you wouldn't get a single decent banker without those obscene wages, but then how do you sort the good ones from the bad and argh I need a lie down.
  • The was ONE PICTURE ON THE LAST PAGE. And it was in a fucking quote.

vWwcl.gif
  • We can't all be you.
  • I got nothing for my aggressive red lipped and apparently Spanish sea insect, I'm disappointed too Chump.
  • @ Jonb

To put it very simply, success can be determined by a number of parameters. Success needs to provide a benefit of some variety to the individual otherwise individuals would not be compelled.
  • I got nothing for my aggressive red lipped and apparently Spanish sea insect, I'm disappointed too Chump.

I posted an HILARIOUS selection of animations from arounde the worlde and got not a sniff (except an actual sniff from moody old Fizzace)
  • Is all about proportions. There's "reward for doing well" and then there's plutocracy. 

What's interesting about the current gen of plutes is that they're overwhelmingly starters and runners of their own enterprises, rather than inheritors. 

What's depressing is that the drive those figures have needed to place themselves where they are has demonstrably, with a handful of very public exceptions, narrowed their ability to empathise with the vast majority of everyone else and encouraged a re-vamping of mythologies of self-madeness and its broad application to human life at large. Most people are a bit rubbish at everything. This will never change, but unless you are Nietzsche this shouldn't be so much a cause for alarm as a prompter of humility.
  • We want our rewards for our pictures dammit.
  • brooks buy me a damn figure
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Elmlea wrote:
    I'm more impressed with whoever made their fortune by selling AIDS champagne for $4000 a bottle to idiots who think it's flash.  Reminds me of the episode of 30 Rock where Jack's disgraceful champagne was shifted by associating it with LL Cool J despite it tasting like poison.
    Well it's the same as Beats Headphones isn't it? You look everywhere, every sod has them and they take a look at my tiny sennheiser buds and tell me I've not got a clue and I just laugh.
    People actually do that?  Maybe it's my demeanour, but I've never had someone try that on.
    I've only had one person ever comment to me on my headphones, my Doctor. He was most impressed when he saw the Marshall logo adorning the side of my Majors, in fact he talked about my headphones before getting around to discussing how I'd pulled the muscles in my chest!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    No thanks.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    To put it very simply, success can be determined by a number of parameters. Success needs to provide a benefit of some variety to the individual otherwise individuals would not be compelled.
    But the benefit may be a shared one that only benefits the individual because it benefits everyone - it doesn't have to be competitive or individualistic.

Anyway, sorry - pictures. I won't add anymore unless it moves to No Subject or something.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    No thanks.

Well, I tried.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    ?
    The only thing I think it could have been would be loading the printer at work, some of the rolls are around 80kg which is alright if you just have to move them but when you load them you have to get them horizontal and then put the core into one spindle then slide another spindle into the other end at around 2' off the ground plus the roll is 1600mm long, there is sometimes some swearing involved. Also work do not care that it probably breaks some H&S rule, I've started ordering 25m rolls instead of 50m as it really is a joke having to do this on your own. Even the delivery men moan about the weight and that while the rolls are in a box and can just be moved from the van to the office...
  • JonB wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    But the benefit may be a shared one that only benefits the individual because it benefits everyone - it doesn't have to be competitive or individualistic. Anyway, sorry - pictures. I won't add anymore unless it moves to No Subject or something.

Altruism is commendable.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Fucking post formating
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Teenagers are boring.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    ?
    The only thing I think it could have been would be loading the printer at work, some of the rolls are around 80kg which is alright if you just have to move them but when you load them you have to get them horizontal and then put the core into one spindle then slide another spindle into the other end at around 2' off the ground plus the roll is 1600mm long, there is sometimes some swearing involved. Also work do not care that it probably breaks some H&S rule, I've started ordering 25m rolls instead of 50m as it really is a joke having to do this on your own. Even the delivery men moan about the weight and that while the rolls are in a box and can just be moved from the van to the office...

Man that sounds a shambles, but I knew a pro-printer and it is commendable work, the influence on quality is inspiring.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    People should stop worrying about how rich other people are. Focus on yourself. Strive to be better. Educate yourself. Identify what you are good at and what you enjoy. Align your working life with that and all will come good. Learn to spend less than you earn. Try harder at all things relative to your peers. Understand that you may have to sacrifice leisure time to achieve your goals, although if your goals are associated with something you love doing, it can hardly be a sacrifice. I was once told that the key to success is to find something that you would be happy doing for the rest of your life. Not an easy task, you can start by categorically removing the tasks you hate.

Fuck off. Seriously, the influx of wealth into London means that I can't afford to live in the city that I was brought up in and which I love. There's a huge recession on yet rents are actually going up. The amount of money other people have has a very direct effect on my life. This is without even getting into the point that this is a zero-sum game. There s a limited amount of wealth in the world, the rich can only get richer (which they are doing more effectively than at any time in history)  if the poor get poorer.

Beyond which, there's the argument put forward by The Spirit Level (which I've still yet to read properly) that most issues in society can be traced back to wealth inequality. All over the world, the societies with the most social issues (from crime to teen pregnancy) are the ones with the greatest inequalities in wealth.
  • Aye, wealth is not insulated from politics, quite the contrary - the more you have, the better you can fight your interests' corner. One of the bigger downsides of meritocracy is that those that achieve very highly tend to yank the ladder up after them, usually by having impacts on legislation. Human nature, but writ much larger than life and so problematic.

"Merit" tends to only apply to one or a couple of fields when we're speaking of it as a guidance for organisation. In truth, without a capacity for merit in most fields including social responsibility, it's a damn fudge, and an ugly fudge. If you insist on winner-takes-all structures, winners absolute fucking will take all both because they can and because the implicit message of those structures is that it's Correct to do so. That requires refutation.
  • Fuck off. Seriously, the influx of wealth into London means that I can't afford to live in the city that I was brought up in and which I love. There's a huge recession on yet rents are actually going up. 
    Live further out and commute. Eventually move closer if you want. Rent has increased at a rate above inflation and average earnings. With credit constrained, people fail to obtain mortgages for properties overvalued by 20% relative to historic multiples of national average earnings. Property prices are maintained by the influx of people capable of paying the market price. Rent rates are inflated because (i) people can afford to pay these amounts (ii) housing allowance subsidies have been so high that slum landlords can rack up disproportionally large rates (changes to secondary, tertiary etc property tax, capping housing benefit and capping rents a la Berlin will help the situation).

The amount of money other people have has a very direct effect on my life. 

Why?

This is without even getting into the point that this is a zero-sum game. There s a limited amount of wealth in the world, the rich can only get richer (which they are doing more effectively than at any time in history)  if the poor get poorer.

Do you mean "zero sum gain"? With the global economy deleveraging, the finite pool of "money" is reducing and easy growth is being curtailed by the lack of cheap available credit. Historically speaking, go back 100 or 200 years or more, the distribution of wealth was far worse - not factoring in the "safety net" of the benefit state where relevant (a thoroughly modern concept).
    A question must be asked about the statement "the rich only get richer" regurgitated ad nauseum by individuals of your persuasion. How did they the majority come by this "wealth"? Is it true that their situation only improves? How much of a contribution do they make to society? I would argue that the situation is far more nuanced than you appreciate from your rock throwing pedestal made out of perceived inequality and burgeoning apathy.

Beyond which, there's the argument put forward by The Spirit Level (which I've still yet to read properly) that most issues in society can be traced back to wealth inequality. All over the world, the societies with the most social issues (from crime to teen pregnancy) are the ones with the greatest inequalities in wealth.

I agree that wealth inequality most probably does drive a number of society's ills, however, much like an individual's ability to run a sub 4hr marathon is likely to be constrained by the amount of training they do a person should not expect to reap the benefits of hard work without actually doing the work (and when I say work I don't just mean paid employment and when I say benefits I don't just mean financial gain). There are places in the world - most probably the majority - that are entirely subsistence based in nature and therefore lacking the infrastructure to support those who aspire to differentiate themselves and attempt to extricate themselves from the poverty trap.
  • If it hasn't already happened, might I suggest someone makes a thread for this? And/or take it to no subject, as previously suggested. Either way, good convo, but we need some some pics up in this bitch.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moved to the other thread.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Double post.
  • PICTURES

tumblr_md51qh0P5e1rymm1i.gif

snowball%20headshot.gif
    kzdb2IO.jpgnjruTiT.jpg
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!