Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Played the first five or so levels of this. At the time of release the market was over saturated with platformers and the like, so this would have been a breath of fresh air, as well as being a few steps ahead of other MD FPS's (this was released well after Corporation, but before Bloodshot iirc, so it's not like there was tonnes of competition either). However, playing it now it's pretty obvious how basic the gameplay is. Monotonous even. It's shifting some nippy visuals for the machine, but that's not enough to keep me interested on the train home. The shotgun is pretty satisfying, but this is really just a poor man's Doom.

I would have liked this at the time for sure, but getting lost in mazes and occasionally firing a gun isn't really my thing.

72%
  • Week nineteen: Out to Lunch (SNES, Amiga)

Pierre le Chef, the gastro guru, has been merrily touring the world preparing le magnifique munch, but his masterplan is being jeapordised by Le evil Chef Noir. The meddling Chef Noir has been 'releasing' Pierre's ingredients, which must be caught in a net, and emptied into a cage within the level. First released on the SNES in late '93, this is an against the clock platform collect 'em up, comprising of 48 levels across 6 countries.

db_41818_0_0_OutToLunch.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce.

Week twenty (28/01): Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine, Virtual Console)
    Week twenty one (04/02): Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive)
    Week twenty two (11/02): Star Parodier (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty four (25/02): Atari 2600 week
    Week tenty five (04/03): Cybernator (SNES)
    Week twenty six (11/03): Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 LOCK-ON! (Megadrive)
    Week twenty seven (18/03): Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Week twenty eight: 25/03): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    Week twenty nine (01/04): Rub you own Rhubarb: Retro Batman week (various).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I loved this game - mainly because of the style of it - it has a sort of Euro-feel to it and there's loads of nice little graphical touches and animations that you spot the more you play it.

One thing about it that will surprise the uninitiated because it looks so cute - it is pretty tough - especially if you select advanced mode which just seems to skip the first two worlds. The first two worlds gently crank the difficulty up by introducing new items and features.

If you don't have a manual you will need to know a few things:
    Spoiler:

The one thing I will say against it is that each world with 8 levels lasts too long. It would have been better to have a 7th world with each world having a level or two less.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cheers for the tips.  I played around half an hour of this today.  So far, so straightforward.  I can see it getting tricky though.  Are there continues on offer?  I'm using save states but still losing the odd life as it's awkward to save on the SNES emulator I'm using.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No continues or passwords which really hurt it even back in the day when we were more tolerant of stuff like that. The only concession is the advanced mode option which starts you on world 3.

I always thought that a 2 player split screen mode would have been great with co-op or Vs options but probably beyond the hardware.

It's the little details - the way the cheese squidges when it bounces along or the way eggs sprout little heli-blades when they fall from a platform. You can even throw a flour bag into a teleporter and it will zap it to another part of the level!

It really cranks up at world 3.

• Ah.  I should probably start again now that I've got the lay of the land then, seeing as I'm not too far in.  I'm pretty sure I only have two lives left on my save.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    there are ways of getting extra lives but I can't remember them all. There are lots of hidden rooms in the game and some of those have 1ups.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I feel dumb for neglecting to check on this thread, but given Moot review of Zero Tolerance, it's probably just as well...
    Still really feeling UN Squadron, despite the flawed learning curve.

What kind of game is Out To Lunch again?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • What kind of game is Out To Lunch again?

A sort of platform puzzle game.  Like a cross between Flicky and Donkey Kong Vs Mario.  

I'm mid-way through the second world now (Greece).  It's got a kind of intuitive simplicity to the gameplay that reminds me slightly of Spelunky.  I could see this as an XBLA hit if it was remade.  There are clearly plenty of secrets - I found an invisible platform next to a cuckoo clock earlier, but I wasn't sure what to do once I was standing on it.  

I like it so far.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If I remember right you can jump onto the clock - think it activates a door to a bonus room....if you hit it with flour bags the cuckoo comes out of the clock -something to do with that - it's been a long time....

The pace really changes once you hit world 3 and it becomes a bit more manic while the level layouts start to become more maze-like.
  • I got up to the third world - The West Indies - on Out to Lunch (which has suitably jaunty steel pan music).  I agree that the worlds should be smaller, and I had a few issues with the responsiveness of the controls (although this could be an emulation issue), but otherwise I thought this was a pretty good game - a forgotten gem, even. 

I mentioned Spelunky earlier, and it definitely has that kind of survival game feel to it, to the point where it also reminded me of Mr. Driller. You get three lives, and you have to make them last, and when you eventually run out you're awarded a chef rating based on your performance.  My not-taking-the-piss-too-much - but still save state assisted - attempt saw my efforts rated as Commis Chef, which according to Wikipedia means:

a basic chef in larger kitchens who works under a chef de partie to learn the station's responsibilities and operation. This may be a chef who has recently completed formal culinary training or is still undergoing training
    ..so quite shit then. 

I played enough of the game to realise that route planning is extremely important.  Whereas at first it's quick dash to the net, followed by some random collecting and a short trek to the cage, by the third world the net, which you have to retrieve first, could be at the end of a teleporter maze, or on the other side of a perilous stretch of platforms.  I only realised there was a run button at the beginning of the second world, which was a bit of a facepalm moment to be honest, but found the game much more enjoyable after that. 

What interested me most about this was the fleeing AI of the enemies.  I'm sure it was relatively simple to programme, but when you approach certain types of foe they turn and run in the other direction - and sometimes even scarper through transporters.  I can't remember seeing that in much else at the time...the boo's in SMW perhaps, although maybe I was just a naive AI-starved Megadrive owner.  Possibly I just smoked too much weed over the next few years and I've forgotten all about 2D AI patterns.  Anyway, the enemies don't just waddle towards you waiting to be caught, which is a nice touch.  Throw the insta-death blobs of doom into the mix, and you've got to stay on your toes. 

Looking at the release date (late '93) it feels like an older game, considering what the 16-bit consoles were chucking around graphically and sonically at the time (Gunstar Heroes, Castleviania IV, Buster Busts Loose, Rocket Knight Adventures), but it's a charming little game and I think I'll carry on with it on quiet weeks.  Miles better than Plok!

84%
  • Week twenty: Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine, Virtual Console - also on PSP as part of the Dracula X Chronicles)

Konami's second 16-bit Castlevania (please correct me if I'm wrong - without saying 'technically the PC Engine was 8-bit').  You control Richter Belmont, in an attempt to save the lovely Annette from the clutches of Dracula.  Make your way through nine stages, with four possible routes.  Wikipedia seems to describe it as a non-linear linear Castlevania - somewhere between the IV and SOTN templates.  Obviously I'm winging it a bit here, as I don't want to weigh in with any massively incorrect facts.  Regardless of the finer details, this is a much loved entry into the franchise, and is seen as the precursor to Symphony of the Night (which the world and his wife are in love with). 

250px-Dracula_x_%28j%29_front.jpg

Play and discuss, or simply reminisce. 

Schedule:

Week twenty one (04/02): Rocket Knight Adventures (Megadrive)
    Week twenty two (11/02): Star Parodier (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty three (18/02): Legendary Axe (PC Engine/Virtual Console)
    Week twenty four (25/02): Atari 2600 week
    Week tenty five (04/03): Cybernator (SNES)
    Week twenty six (11/03): Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3 LOCK-ON! (Megadrive)
    Week twenty seven (18/03): Yoshi's Island (SNES)
    Week twenty eight: 25/03): Midnight Resistance (arcade, Megadrive, Amiga etc)
    Week twenty nine (01/04): Rub you own Rhubarb: Retro Batman week (various).
  • Wasn't it released on PSP too as part of a package? That would be easier than the other two options for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yep, just checked.  Added it to the OP.
  • I forget what the package/game was called, but I have it unopened in some dark corner of the house. Probably easier to fond than the PSP...
  • How different is the SNES version btw?  PC Engine emulation (or at least finding the ROMs) isn't as simple as I'm used to, so I'm stuck with either the SNES version or playing the VC one round a mate's for an hour or so before the end of the week.

Edit: ah, internet says not really the same game at all.
  • Nope, they're not.
  • They both have Richter!

also I really liked this. Probably one of the few old skool type games I can beat and want to play. Must say though that the girl is effectively a cheat character compared to shitter Belmont!

• the psp one is weird in that it is polygonal characters. Also comes with sympony of the night but you have to unlock.it.
  • Can't get this to work on my Caanoo at all.  Looks like I'll have to set the Wii up this week and see if I've got any points left.  I just watched the intro on Youtube, good stuff.
  • the psp one is weird in that it is polygonal characters. Also comes with sympony of the night but you have to unlock.it.

Yeah I didn't like the updated gfx either. However you can unlock the original PC Engine game just like Sympony of the Night. I would definitely recommend that over the 2.5D version.

@moot
    It's worth it, incredible game. Second only to SCIV for me in my Castlevania preferences. I gave the MD game a 5/5 in this very thread so that gives you some idea of their quality. You fancy a Castlevania marathon? I'll happily blitz this with you in an evening.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Curry + Castlevania? Sounds good.

Not sure how I'll be able to play Legendary Axe in a couple of weeks though, I don't think it's on VC.
  • Is the PC Engine emulation not working then? I remember using one years ago that was fine.

Edit: Where is the emu anyway? I just went to the site I got the Sega stuff from and there's no PC Engine there.
  • Yeah, I had the same problem. The site I use seems to have everything but. There's a PC Engine emulator (called Hugo) on the starter kit on my handheld, but I can't find the ROMs. Star Parodier is on VC though.
  • Just tried Hugo and it won't work. There's also Magic Engine, which I'm pretty sure is what I used to use, but there only seems to be a time limited version which lets you play 5 mins at a time. Otherwise that would be great, so if anyone can find the full version.

Just played the 1st level of Legendary Axe on it - seems like good simple fun. Would like to have a proper go if possible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    thought legendary axe was a bit overrated - had the md version but I thought it was far more fun in the arcade.
  • JonB wrote:
    There's also Magic Engine, which I'm pretty sure is what I used to use, but there only seems to be a time limited version which lets you play 5 mins at a time. Otherwise that would be great, so if anyone can find the full version.
    So it turns out the 5 min time limit can be worked around simply by making a save state and then when the timer runs out, escape, and load state. The timer restarts. It seems to be longer than a real 5 mins as well. Very minor hassle really. Best option for PC Engine stuff I think.
  • I'm dl'ing Castlevania atm. Hopefully it works.
  • It doesn't.

Fuck it, I'll play Legendary Axe.
  • I think I've got some VC points left over, I'll probably just bite the bullet. Does anyone know if it has infinite continues?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!