Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • JonB wrote:
    Tenet - Absolute shite. Maybe it's better if you watch it backwards or something. But fuck wasting another 2.5 hours.
    It was 2.5 hours of my life I somehow got back. Terrible film.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    62. Summer of Soul
    A decent, if somewhat disappointing, documentary about a Harlem community festival in 1969 using footage discovered after 50 years. Perhaps a bit more interest in the period and/or music is needed as I found it engaging in parts but quite unstructured overall. Only a few of the performances caught my attention and generally found it a bit superficial. [5]

63. Never Rarely Sometimes Always
    Low key drama following a teen girl who has to travel from her home town to New York for an abortion without telling her parents. It’s really well done, it felt like experiencing everything from the girls’ perspective so even aspects that might seem mundane to me suddenly were tense or scary. Very natural performances and a few particularly powerful scenes, genuinely tough to watch at a couple of points. One of those films that draws attention to important issues without over dramatising it. [8]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I saw Summer of Soul in the cinema. Thought it was a fantastic documentary
  • 44. Blade 2.
    A lot better than remember it being. Really pulpy nonsense with some great action sequences. Great fun. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Drunk double post
  • g.man wrote:
    Long flight somewhere Shabs?

Hey! Sorry haven't been on the thread much. Yes, over to the states (as you know) but also spent some time in New Zealand before then. Hoped to bump into Gaben so he would gift me a Steam Deck but no luck.
  • djchump wrote:
    I love the sentry guns part, and more wind up where they persuade her to go, but seeing the colony beforehand takes away from the story IMHO. I think it works better left as a “what the hell happened here” mystery only seeing the after effects.
    Also, seeing the Captain from Red Dwarf in there really pops me out of the vibe.

I watched the special editions on the first two recently and I don't think any of the added stuff improves anything. Drags the pacing down for me.
  • It’s nice to see you back on your travels Shabs :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm glad to be back traveling too. Funny to see that all that lockdown has me getting a little homesick for the first time ever I think.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He Got Game Denzel does his stuff to great effect. A suffocating Spike Lee film - about the US sports college system but only on the surface. It paints a background onto which a whole lot more is placed. Maybe a bit too much, but it's splendid stuff.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sicario  Great film.  Emily Blunt just keeps getting higher in my estimations. Benicio Del Toro is superb, and Josh Brolin does his hard boiled thing to his usual high standard.

What is really great about this film is the real sense of danger. Beautifully shot in places with gorgeous vistas and big skies  - but can switch to claustrophobic first person views in superbly realised special forces operations sequences.  Real tension is generated throughout.

Recommended.
  • Second one is very good too. Different director so it has a different feel but it's great
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I was less impressed with the second, mostly due to massively OTT events towards the end as I remember.
  • davyK wrote:
    Sicario  Great film.  Emily Blunt just keeps getting higher in my estimations. Benicio Del Toro is superb, and Josh Brolin does his hard boiled thing to his usual high standard.

What is really great about this film is the real sense of danger. Beautifully shot in places with gorgeous vistas and big skies  - but can switch to claustrophobic first person views in superbly realised special forces operations sequences.  Real tension is generated throughout.

Recommended.

I love tgis film. The score adds greatly. Tge first time you notice it is when they are approaching Jarez

PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really don't want to watch the sequel - I'm too scared it will sully the experience of watching this. It's one of the best films I've watched in recent years and I wish I had seen it in the cinema.
  • Give it a week or so and give it a watch. That's enough time for the first to settle
  • It's a good sequel, just not as good as the original. Like French Connection II.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    64. Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood
    Bit of an odd one. The first half mostly felt like Wonder Years: The Movie, which I was enjoying, but I didn't really get the point of the fantasy element. I also didn't think the animation style entirely worked - I'm sure it was easier for the fantasy sequences but it was quite flat and had the effect of making characters look very bland. I still liked it overall, a pretty chill film to watch. It's just...fine. [6]
  • 73. The Black Phone
    Mmmmmmmeeeeeh. Not scary enough as a horror film, not thrilling enough to be a thriller. A shame really as it could have been alright with a bit more something. Maybe.
    [4]
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    73. The Black Phone Mmmmmmmeeeeeh. Not scary enough as a horror film, not thrilling enough to be a thriller. A shame really as it could have been alright with a bit more something. Maybe. [4]

Oh darn, I was looking forward to seeing this one.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah me too. Just felt like it was missing something to really grab and pull you in. I think Mike Flanagan would have done a better job of it as it's in his wheelhouse
  • Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
    Well, it certainly lives up to its title. Mad as a box of hair. You could fit the plot on the back of a fag packet but they stretch it easily to two hours through layer upon layer of sheer visual exuberance. Forgettable, but fun.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    65. When Marnie Was There
    A solid Ghibli effort, mainly felt under par due to their own high standards. It’s a lovely looking film full of well realised and entertaining characters but I found the core story a bit underwhelming. Having said that, there were a few good laughs and I even shed a tear towards the end so it’s got something going for it. [7]
  • Plane edition no. 2

74. Downhill (USA)
    Didn't have the original on the plane so I watched this. I quite like it. More of a drama than a comedy but was a good watch.
    [6]

75. The Many Saints of Newark
    I'm guessing Chase just wanted to be in this world again because there's no real reason this needs to exist but I really enjoyed it. I think if I remembered all of the show the winks and nods might have been too much but I think I missed a lot. Gandolfini's son nailed young Tony, I wish he was in it more.
    [8]

76. The Outfit
    A neat little mob thriller set in one location. I enjoyed this even though I didn't find it especially gripping
    [7]

77. Nightmare Alley
    I find I don't really connect with Del Toro's newer films. Felt soulless and a bit boring. Also so very very white.
    [4]

78. Burn After Reading
    Man this film is great. I've seen it before but it was just as fun watching it again.
    [9]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Booked to see Eraserhead next week in our local indie cinema. Should be a trip.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Probably not a film to see actually tripping. Might leave lasting scars.
  • JK Simmons is so good in BAR.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    In what?

Edit: oh, Burn after Reading.
  • 79. The Alpinist
    If you've watched and enjoyed Free Solo or The Dawn Wall I very much recommend this. Another interesting person and some amazing and terrifying footage.
    Don't think it needs a rating.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!