Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • I watched Flatliners again recently. Shouldn't have tbh, used to like it (interesting premise for that sort of thing) but it's a mess.
  • Aye been a while since I've seen it. Doesn't hold up, I watched it for the nostalgia. Could have been much better but seemed to get wrapt up in its star power.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • It's no Top Gun.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    60. The Father
    I was not prepared for that. The intimate look at living with dementia was possibly one of the most terrifying films I’ve seen in some time. The way it’s constructed is incredibly clever so plenty to appreciate. Hopkins is superb, heartbreaking to watch at times and that last scene fucking ruined me. A fantastic film I will never watch again. [9]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. That film wrecked me. Anyone in government in a role connected with care should watch it. Elderly care is so much more than physical.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Prometheus then.

I was really put off watching this by the hate it got from some parties. I have seen the odd snatch of it toward the end when it was on TV.

So watched it last night. One cannot fault the cast - dear me - what a collection of splendid folk. Theron was scorching. :) I thought it was OK. It had some interesting ideas and all that and it seemed well put together to me. It moved along at a decent pace and kept me interested. Maybe that's because I wasn't expecting much (I rarely do nowadays from anything from Hollywood).

It's biggest problem is that it tries to explain things. Alien should have been left alone. While I liked Aliens I still think the original should have been left alone. 

How did that aborted alien get so bloody big in that med bay on its own?!!!??!!.  And how did the hero do all that with a stapled belly? Heh. Daft.

Still. I thought it was OK but it gets by trading off the strong world created in the original. I actually thought about it this morning which is one of my tests. And I'm surprised it passed that test. Actually...I think I liked it. No strong desire to watch it again though.
  • It's a bit silly/shit in places but 'OK' is a fair assessment imo.  I assume a lot of the hate is due to dashed expectations from viewers daring to believe/swept up in the hype.  Like how Terminator 3 is probably my most hated film of all time, but it's kinda OK on the whole...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    T1 and T2 only exist to me.   3 was just about OK but I've decided it didn't happen. :)
  • I enjoyed Prometheus in the moment, but it's an incredibly stupid film which is very, very badly written. For me, the biggest issue it has is the characters making very, very dumb decisions that are the opposite of their motivations to that point. It's gorgeous to look at though.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Aye. That film wrecked me. Anyone in government in a role connected with care should watch it. Elderly care is so much more than physical.

I had similar thoughts on that. It's the type of care you'd pray for if anyone you knew were in that situation.
  • Gremill wrote:
    For me, the biggest issue it has is the characters making very, very dumb decisions that are the opposite of their motivations to that point.

Same here. Prometheus built a believable world but populated it with unbelievable characters doing things without believable motivations. Left me thinking it was rubbish.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    For me, the biggest issue it has is the characters making very, very dumb decisions that are the opposite of their motivations to that point.
    Same here. Prometheus built a believable world but populated it with unbelievable characters doing things without believable motivations. Left me thinking it was rubbish.

That was my consensus. Don't get me started on the stupid xenobiologists.
  • Prometheus is a stunning looking film an stunningly dumb. Saw it at IMAX 3d and it was gorgeous. Shame about the rest of it
  • Alien Covenant makes it look like genius and a masterpiece.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 68. Cast Away
    A classic. I was surprised at how much I got drawn into it again. Not many directors could pull it off I think and zemekis shows how good he can be throughout. The plane crash is a master class in thrilling action set piece filmmaking.
    [8]
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Alien Covenant makes it look like genius and a masterpiece.

Worth it for the flute scene
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    68. Cast Away A classic. I was surprised at how much I got drawn into it again. Not many directors could pull it off I think and zemekis shows how good he can be throughout. The plane crash is a master class in thrilling action set piece filmmaking. [8]

Love that film. One of those I will pretty much always watch to the end if I find it on TV.
  • The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

It's Nic Cage playing Nic Cage in a buddy style comedy that really leans into the love of everything Nic Cage.

Pedro Pascal steals the show, it's great fun!
    The whole
    Spoiler:
    had me in fits of giggles.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dashcam

Yea that was awful. In so many ways.
    Feels like some students got pissed and thought"yea, we can do a found footage style horror!"

A shame as I liked the directors last one, Host.

Kinda feeling like it was all one big
    Spoiler:

But (big ending spoiler now)
    Spoiler:

One of the first films in ages I've really not enjoyed at all

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Alien Covenant  After watching Prometheus I thought I'd give this a go.

Oh dear.

The ship was clearly crewed by the remedial class of the space academy. A load of old tosh. I only kept watching to make sure they all got killed.

This IP needs putting to sleep.
  • It’s terrible. Really bad. Nothing to recommend it whatsoever.
  • What about the flute scene?
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I preferred the flute scene in The Boys
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    What about the flute scene?

If they had started playing London's Burning together I would not have been surprised.
  • I preferred the flute scene in American Pie.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I found myself more interested in the "engineers" plot. There is a decent story there trying to get out. But again, like Prometheus, explaining everything spoils it.  The mystery of those ancient alien tech scenes in the original Alien are what added so much to the basic idea. They generated a real sense of awe in me back then.

It's best left alone.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tremors. Yep. Never saw this one. Only the occasional snippet. Rip roaring fun. This has aged really well and the characters are all likable. No mean feat.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's a classic
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    61. Top Gun: Maverick
    Opening with jets taking off from a carrier to the sounds of Kenny Loggins was a strong move, I was on board straight away. It doesn't really let you down from that point on. There are enough nods to the original to get the nostalgia flowing but still manages to be its own movie, a better one than the original even. I'd love to see a making of/behind the scenes for this as the aerial footage is incredible throughout, genuinely thrilling and impressive. The story keeps things moving and Cruise is as solid as ever. Definitely one to experience on the big screen and already looking forward to watching it again. [8]
  • If I recently watched the original and thought it was gash, will I still like it?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!