Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • 26. Predator - 27/5
    Now this is how you do big dumb action movie! The best. One of my most-watched movies and one of my favourites. One that my friends and I quote on almost a daily basis.
    Looks good in 4K and sound and action and one-liners and everything all still great. Hasn’t aged a single bit. Any ropey effects are completely overlooked cos who fucking cares.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 40. Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
    Decent enough entry in the ongoing marvel behemoth, but it was lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. It is however very entertaining for most of its run time (but could have done with some more judicoud editing to reduce the length) and is easily the most horror tinged of the marvel movies. It's worth seeing just for the sheet amount of Sam Raimi's trademark insane directorial flourishes - there's hints of Evil Dead in there for sure. It actually gets more and more bonkers as it goes and the last 45 minutes is at times truly inspired. 7

41. Ghostbusters Afterlife
    Went into this with very low expectations but had a whale of a time - a proper old fashioned kids adventure movie with a side order of nostalgia/tribute to the original that works brilliantly. I can't believe quite how great it was - it's only real crime was under using Paul Rudd, but focussing on the great cast of kids was the right decision - it's their movie. Really, really great stuff. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    40. Dr Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
    Decent enough entry in the ongoing marvel behemoth, but it was lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. It is however very entertaining for most of its run time (but could have done with some more judicoud editing to reduce the length) and is easily the most horror tinged of the marvel movies. It's worth seeing just for the sheet amount of Sam Raimi's trademark insane directorial flourishes - there's hints of Evil Dead in there for sure. It actually gets more and more bonkers as it goes and the last 45 minutes is at times truly inspired. 7

41. Ghostbusters Afterlife
    Went into this with very low expectations but had a whale of a time - a proper old fashioned kids adventure movie with a side order of nostalgia/tribute to the original that works brilliantly. I can't believe quite how great it was - it's only real crime was under using Paul Rudd, but focussing on the great cast of kids was the right decision - it's their movie. Really, really great stuff. 8

So glad you enjoyed Ghostbusters as much as I did :) it was really quite good fun
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I loved it.
  • 65. The Hidden
    Is this a hidden gem or was I just out of the loop? Great car chases, very blood squibby action and Kyle MacLachlan. A lot of fun.
    [7]

66. Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers
    Even though Disney owns everything I think the legal team must have worked extra hard on this for all these characters. Just a shame the script isn't that great. With a better told story and writing this could have been the new Roger Rabbit.
    [6]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Might check out Chip n Dale. That was one of my favourite shows as a young un.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    58. Downton Abbey: A New Era
    More of the same would've been a better title. If you like Downton, you'll likely enjoy it. The French villa is a nothing storyline even by these standards and it unravels previous happy endings to create more drama, which is a pet peeve of mine for these type of films. Still, the cast are great as always and there are some good laughs. A few more stories get wrapped up and I'm sure fans will appreciate that. [6]
  • 65. The Hidden
    Is this a hidden gem or was I just out of the loop? Great car chases, very blood squibby action and Kyle MacLachlan. A lot of fun.
    [7]

OMG! I loved that film as a teenager - seen it so many times. Top tier B-movie fun. Where'd you watch it?
  • Cos wrote:
    58. Downton Abbey: A New Era
    More of the same would've been a better title. If you like Downton, you'll likely enjoy it. The French villa is a nothing storyline even by these standards and it unravels previous happy endings to create more drama, which is a pet peeve of mine for these type of films. Still, the cast are great as always and there are some good laughs. A few more stories get wrapped up and I'm sure fans will appreciate that. [6]

What is wrong with you
  • 27. Top Gun - 31/5
    Found this to be boring and pointless and just badly made/delivered. Some fun in the dogfights and I like the sound and look of those fighter jets. That's about it.
    [5]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Cos wrote:
    58. Downton Abbey: A New Era More of the same would've been a better title. If you like Downton, you'll likely enjoy it. The French villa is a nothing storyline even by these standards and it unravels previous happy endings to create more drama, which is a pet peeve of mine for these type of films. Still, the cast are great as always and there are some good laughs. A few more stories get wrapped up and I'm sure fans will appreciate that. [6]
    What is wrong with you

Had it marked down as a 10 did you?
  • Gremill wrote:
    65. The Hidden Is this a hidden gem or was I just out of the loop? Great car chases, very blood squibby action and Kyle MacLachlan. A lot of fun. [7]
    OMG! I loved that film as a teenager - seen it so many times. Top tier B-movie fun. Where'd you watch it?

Rented it through Apple Store. That opening car chase is a banger. They must have had crazy access to filming locations.
    Cos wrote:
    Might check out Chip n Dale. That was one of my favourite shows as a young un.

Definitely worth a watch for a bit of fun. There's a few good laughs in there.
  • I had The Hidden on VHS. Won it in a magazine competition - so it was the full rental tape, complete with ‘RRP £75’ sticker on the front. I loved that film. Kyle MacLachlan and Claudia Christian both brilliant in it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cathy Come Home Harrowing, depressing. And, while in some aspects we have improved our lot, one can't help but see this as a possible bleak future if certain forces remain unfettered.

The I, Daniel Blake of the 60s.  This was filmed in the year I was born.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • poprock wrote:
    I had The Hidden on VHS. Won it in a magazine competition - so it was the full rental tape, complete with ‘RRP £75’ sticker on the front. I loved that film. Kyle MacLachlan and Claudia Christian both brilliant in it.

75 pounds?!

• 42. Moonrise Kingdom
    I stopped keeping up with Wes Anderson films after being so disappointed by Darjeeling Express, but this was an enjoyably odd little film with a great cast and some gorgeous visuals. It's absolutely peak Anderson, quirk factor 11, and whether or not you like this is entirely predicated on whether you find that endearing or insufferable. My kids didn't have a fucking clue what was happening to them - but the eldest came out the other side having really liked it. 8
  • 75 pounds?!

That’s apparently how much the rental shops used to pay for their copies. This was long before you could buy movies for yourself at home on video. Wasn’t Batman the first of those?
  • Yea I remember Predator was like £80 or something.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    27. Top Gun - 31/5
    Found this to be boring and pointless and just badly made/delivered. Some fun in the dogfights and I like the sound and look of those fighter jets. That's about it.
    [5]

Ban request pls.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 67. Kimi
    A solid, Hitchcock style thriller in the vein of Rear Window except with added Alexa. Was entertaining although it didn't really feel like it did anything to make it stick in the memory.
    [6]
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It’s weird how people love Top Gun so much. It isn’t a very good film. Is it a nostalgia thing?
    Get schwifty.
  • It's the perfect mix of speed, one liners, cheese, Kenny Loggins and accidental homoeroticism that just makes it an all time classic.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Top Gun + “all time classic”

I’m sorry, but no. I’m old enough to have been caught up in the initial hype, and there was hype. Take My Breath Away was everywhere at the time. I mean, it’s okay, but let’s not get carried away.
    Get schwifty.
  • You've lost that lovin' feeling.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Raiziel wrote:
    It’s weird how people love Top Gun so much. It isn’t a very good film. Is it a nostalgia thing?

Yeah, it's nostalgia - it's the same attitude that makes everyone fawn over Ghostbusters, which is not the untouchable holy grail of cinema that some think it is. It's better than Top Gun, for sure, but it's aged badly.

Mind you, that's not to take away from people's genuine love for these kinds of movies - nostalgia is a powerful emotion.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    You’re right about nostalgia, Grem. As I’ve said, I was about for the original Top Gun, but I guess I just didn’t think it was all that good at the time. But yeah, other films of the era, like Ghostbusters, Temple of Doom and—I’m gonna say it—The Never-ending Story, carry massive nostalgia value.
    Get schwifty.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ghostbusters was always overrated. Good theme tune though
  • Never Ending Story has always been fucking awful.
  • No.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!