Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • djchump wrote:
    The Lost City

Channing Tatum and Sandy B star in a fun comedy that's perfectly cast and quite enjoyable. Passed a slow afternoon
    Aye, it’s exactly as fun as a Bullock/Tatum adventure romcom sounds - I love Tatum’s schtick so had several huge laughs through the film. Decent support from Radcliffe and Pitt, clearly enjoying themselves:-)

Same, Tatum seems to have really carved out a nice niche for himself as the handsome muscular idiot.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • “Charmingly lovable doofus who can dance.”
  • Need to do a watched dump tomoz.

Got Robocop 35th Anniversary 4k viewing at Leeds Vue this Sunday then Top Gun: Maverick at Bradford Imax Saturday after. What a time to be alive!
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Armoured Below par heist film with a brilliant cast that could have been a great deal better. Takes a bit too long to get started while the idea is a good one, the plot isn't all that robust. It's OK.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cape Fear

Use a pen, sideshow Bob.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Need to do a watched dump tomoz.

Got Robocop 35th Anniversary 4k viewing at Leeds Vue this Sunday then Top Gun: Maverick at Bradford Imax Saturday after. What a time to be alive!

Nice, I got the arrow 4k Blu-ray but haven't watched it yet.
    I also underestimated people's excitement for Top Gun with literally all the current sessions at the IMAX pretty much booked out. Not sure if that's off the back of the good reviews or if that many people actually love the original.

I'd like to see it at the IMAX as that's how it was filmed but it's gonna be a long wait for me.

I'm also disappointed I didn't know to see RRR when it showed there. Looks like it would be a great big screen experience
  • Aye I booked a couple of weeks ago as soon as it got announced for my local IMAX. Love the TG, just slightly disappointed they didn't double feature and show the OG beforehand.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 60. Downfall: Boeing doco
    Pretty great doco on the absolutely criminal dodgy shit that Boeing did that caused the two crashed of the 737-MAX and killed all those people. I already knew the reasons and a chunk of the story but it was still an interesting watch.
    [8]
  • 38. The Big Short
    Can't believe I waited so long to watch this. Fantastic telling off the 2008 economic collapse, why it happened, what caused it and who profited. Funny, smart, informative and brilliantly put together. 10

39. Dune
    Woah. Truly epic, visually stunning and flew past. Could've watched another hour of this easily. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Follow the The Big Short with Margin Call @gremill
  • davyK wrote:
    Cheers. Although it's Spacey, so I might not.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Cheers. Although it's Spacey, so I might not.

I know but it's great. It's actually best watched after The Big Short which explains what happens. Margin Call is better enjoyed knowing that.  And of course, Spacey, the bastard, is stupendous in it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Juggernaut starts off looking like a Brit 70s disaster movie. But it's much better than that. Set on an ocean liner in the North Atlantic with 7 bombs planted with a ransom demand. It's kind of downbeat in it's portrayal but it's really watchable.

Richard Harris, Anthony Hopkins and Omar Sharif are the big names, but I have never watched a film with more Brit "that guys" than I have ever seen on one place. I've seen faces from Carry On through to Star Wars in this and they are all brilliant. There are other bonuses like the guy who played the Southern Sheriff in Live and Let Die as one of the passengers. There is some light comic relief - things like deck games in bad weather and the idea of trying to eat on the rolling seas. The comedy is anchored by Roy Kinnear as entertainment officer who veers from clown to dry wit.

The tension builds really well when Harris and his team (including David Hemmings) start trying to defuse the bombs and the ending is a true classic moment that I won't spoil.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    War Dogs true story of two lads who sold arms to the Pentagon for use in Afghanistan. Great yarn well told and Jonah Hill is fast becoming a real favourite of mine.

The hypocrisy of war is on full show - it's almost like The Big Short with bullets. :)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    32. Calibre - 8

Went back and finished this tense drama. Glad I did. One of Netflix best of recent years.
  • 61. The Lost City
    Even though there's some funny moments in this I didn't really like it on the whole largely because it suffers from all of the current Hollywood criminal mistakes. I think 50% of the dialogue is ADR add-on that suggests an unfinished script, there's copious amount of terrible green screen that completely undermines the beautiful locations they filmed in at times. And the majority of the 'comedy' has just constant ad-lib chatter from the characters. It could have been a fun throwback film but it would have needed a complete script and a trust in writing actual jokes.
    [3]

62. Petit Maman
    A beautiful little film about a young girl finding out more about why her mother is the person she is. Really lovely thing.
    [8]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    56. Meek’s Cutoff
    The sense of impending doom is all consuming in this slow paced western but ultimately it was too plodding to really keep me interested despite being wonderfully shot. [5]
  • Gross Point Blank

Still a great watch
  • 63. Spoorlos (The Vanishing)
    A solid little thriller that tells it's story in a different way than many of these sorts of things. Although I was fully gripped throughout it did stay with me afterwards.
    [7]
  • 25. Escape Plan 2 - 26/5
    I was in the mood for a relaxing dumb movie last night. Everything was over 2hrs long but this seemed short enough for my tired mind and eyes and I didn't mind the first one much, or at least that's what my tired brain told me.
    Fuck me. I wasn't expecting the level of dumb and shite that I got with this utterly rubbish sequel - bad acting, bad action choreography, bad editing, bad 'plot', just plain bad all through. I just couldn't wait for it to end, maybe should've just stopped it and not wasted anymore of my time. Pretty sure I nodded off at one point. Utter garbage. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.
    [2]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    57. Everything Everywhere All at Once
    I managed to avoid most of the detail about this going in and so glad I did. I loved pretty much everything about it. Excellent performances all round, full of style and clever flourishes, technically accomplished and bloody funny to boot. It's got real heart too and managed what could have been overly saccharine elements with just the right balance. A few moments towards the end really hit me but admittedly partly because they were reminders of things going on in my own life. I always find that a mark of a great film. A wonderful experience. [9]
  • Aye, truly great.  Loved it.  Alreayd want to watch it again!
  • Also... 57 fucking fims already?!
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    This has been my most prolific year I think. And I still can't keep up with Shabby!
  • Come at me bro!

Helps that my gf works arvos out of the house now so if I'm at home off shift I gotta spend that time watching my spooky/violent/weird stuff. Has forced me to watch more things. I'll be away for almost a month in June though so you can catch up then
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'm at about 100, just forgot to update.

I did watch The Innocents though, Shabby. Fucking wonderful film.
  • I recently watched Dune on Prime and Intruder on Shudder.

I knew very little of Dune - haven't read the books or seen the Lynch effort - but that's a great way to start a trilogy. Might even venture to the cinema for the next one.
  • I'm at about 100, just forgot to update.

I did watch The Innocents though, Shabby. Fucking wonderful film.

I thought you'd dig it. Glad you liked it
    Spoiler:

64. The Worst Person in the World
    I think this story would be quite formulaic if it wasn't for the performances and the character work. It elevated it for me but I also couldn't help but feel I knew where it was going.
    [7]

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Agreed with your spoiler, it works so much better going against expectations like that. The child actors were fantastic, too. Although one scene did make me squirm, can probably guess which.
  • I'm at about 100, just forgot to update. I did watch The Innocents though, Shabby. Fucking wonderful film.

The Innocents is a superb film.  I wrote one of my overly long reviews of it in here a while back after seeing it at a festival. Looking back, the two phrases I used that best sum up my lingering memories of it are "more John Wyndham than X-Men" and "I highly recommend it before the inevitable toothless American remake".  (As well as a one spoilery one I won't repeat.)

Highly recommended.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!