Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Descent Fun and games underground. This plays to my natural aversion to the idea of caving. I'm happy to go on a guided tour of them but none of that squeezing through gaps malarky. So I was already on edge before the real horror started.  The shock value soon dropped off with over exposure and it turns into a straight slash and run but it's good fun.

Have heard there's two endings - this viewing ended with the bleak one but I'm not sure the other one would be a barrel of laughs either -
    Spoiler:

Anyhow. Enjoyable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Three Days of the Condor is a splendid 70s espionage thriller with Robert Redford in the lead. I had no knowledge of this until recently when it popped up on a streaming channel.

It looks great - set in 70s New York and there's support from Faye Dunaway and Max Von Sydow. The plot is as classy as the cast with some wonderful 70s analogue technology hacking used to crack the case along the way - toward a proper 70s downbeat ending. Great stuff.
  • 56. Mortal Kombat
    I had a lot of fun watching this with my mates. Exactly what it needed to be. Effects were great, references and included moves were great, Kano added a point on his own.
    [7]
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Always one step ahead! MK was good fun though, exactly as OTT as it needed to be.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    55. Norwegian Wood
    A so-so adaptation of the book. Didn't really capture the right spirit, though that is an admittedly difficult thing to do. The lead actors were decent enough but a couple were not particularly likeable which I'm not sure was the intention. Some fabulous scenery and cinematography helped, and there were moments of real intensity even if occasionally tainted by terrible music. If you like the book, I probably wouldn't bother with this. [5]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    28. Legend - 7

Hardy proving his acting chops in a biopic that just doesn’t quite do it for me. Having not watched the original Kemp brother version since it was originally out I still recall being shocked more by that scene than in this. Hardy is great though.

29. Goodfellas - 9

Missus had never seen it. Still a classic, though the sound mix was a bit fucked on my Sonos system (music too loud dialogue too low) we still enjoyed it. And the “how am I funny?” Scene is still one of the best ever filmed.

30. Tremors - 9

In honour of poor old Fred Ward I had to watch this again. People who make modern action/comedy films really need to watch this. Not a single bit of exposition needed and we didn’t need to know the history of each character dragged out across three hours. You know their lives from how they act. Brilliant fun still.
  • Tremors is an all timer
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hey I watched a movie. Got through The Batman all in a one-er on Thursday night by dint of F and C being in Peebles. I really enjoyed it but it is too fucking long. I wish Sally Menke was still around.
  • 57. Creep
    Fun little found footage thing. I enjoy these later lifespan ones as they tend to do fun stuff with the style.
    [6]
  • 58. The Humans
    Not sure what to say about this other than that it is captivating. Considering the filmmaking choices I would be interested to see what the play looked like.
    [9]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    58. The Humans
    Not sure what to say about this other than that it is captivating. Considering the filmmaking choices I would be interested to see what the play looked like.
    [9]

Such a wonderful film. Those last ten minutes are outstanding.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mike Bassett England Manager - this is a semi regular watch for me, but I was prompted to go back to it after the watching the fly-on-the-wall doc of Graham Taylor's World Cup qualifying campaign. After watching that you realise what a wonderful take the film is on it - with some scenes almost perfect replicas of the documentary.

It's still a great watch (as is the doc).
  • The Lost City

Channing Tatum and Sandy B star in a fun comedy that's perfectly cast and quite enjoyable. Passed a slow afternoon
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 59. Morbius
    Ate some junk food and watched a junk movie. It's not that bad really. Just recalls a time when blockbuster screenwriters cared little for logic or interesting dialogue. Leto was actually quite good.
    [4]
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Leto was actually quite good.

The ultimate defiance of logic.
  • Leto was actually quite good.

No he wasn’t. I haven’t watched Morbius, but…no he wasn’t.
  • He’s good in the WeCrashed series on AppleTV. I think that’s because he’s cast in it as an unlikeable self-aggrandising narcissist who destroys everybody around him.
  • Has he had any decent performances since Dallas Buyers Club? Severely muted and underused in Blade Runner 2049.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    John Carpenter's Vampires

Daft as a brush. Woods over acts but in a good way. Good boss vampire. Over the top gore. Vampires bursting into flames. Cool looking crossbows etc.

Good fun

:)
  • Everything, Everywhere All At Once

That was certainly something.
    I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure what exactly it was that I enjoyed.
    Going to need a few more watches I think to really get my head around it all.
    But oh my, what imagination and creativity.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Going to watch that tonight.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Pro tip.
    Don't watch it with a crying baby in your arms whilst your wife keeps needing to pause it so she can go sort out a nappy change or clean up milky vomit.
  • Yeah, I probably won't do that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Way to rub your milky vomit access in people’s faces wook.
  • Everything everywhere all at once. I remember that phase.
  • 24. Everything Everywhere All at Once - 18/5
    What the fuck did I just watch? A breathtaking and exhilarating rollercoaster of a movie that moves at breakneck speed, full of inventiveness, creativity, and clever editing and camerwork. It's fun and funny, with humour and pathos. It's just... everything.

Minor gripe of it being too much too fast, it doesn't really allow time for anything to truly sink in, and as a result the storytelling suffers from the kind of (over)exposition I dislike - but it could just be my old brain being too slow and in any case, I can't see how else they could do it within the 140min runtime (which incidentally flew by and felt more like 90min).

Needless to say, I will be watching it again in the near future.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 37. Calibre
    Low budget thriller in which 2 old friends go deer hunting in the remote Scottish Highlands. The locals don't take to their city boy ways, tragedy occurs and things quickly spiral out of control. Bleak but beautifully shot, with some great performances across the whole cast. It's a well worn trope of outsiders Vs locals, but this manages to avoid the cliché and become something quite great. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    37. Calibre
    Low budget thriller in which 2 old friends go deer hunting in the remote Scottish Highlands. The locals don't take to their city boy ways, tragedy occurs and things quickly spiral out of control. Bleak but beautifully shot, with some great performances across the whole cast. It's a well worn trope of outsiders Vs locals, but this manages to avoid the cliché and become something quite great. 8

Really good film that
  • The Lost City

Channing Tatum and Sandy B star in a fun comedy that's perfectly cast and quite enjoyable. Passed a slow afternoon
    Aye, it’s exactly as fun as a Bullock/Tatum adventure romcom sounds - I love Tatum’s schtick so had several huge laughs through the film. Decent support from Radcliffe and Pitt, clearly enjoying themselves:-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!