Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Gremill wrote:
    It's so rare to get a decent romcom

Yeah it's a shame there aren't as many as there used to be. Every now and then a gem will come out. I liked Always Be My Maybe and really liked the To All The Boys movies although the latter is less com.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    45. Legend (1985)
    Somehow I never saw this as a kid so I don't have any nostalgic ties to it. Thought it was fine overall. Looking back it certainly suffers from other fantasy films at the time being on a bigger scale or perhaps having more budget. Apart from Tim Curry's demon (which still looks impressive, go practical effects) the rest of it looked quite bland and it felt like not much actually happened. A few good moments but a lower quality effort from Ridley. [4]

46. Adult Life Skills
    Comedy drama about a woman struggling to deal with the death of her twin as she approaches her 30th birthday. Another pretty average effort, not funny enough to support the paper thin story and not enough depth on the dramatic side to make up for the sparse laughs. There were a few laugh out loud moments but mostly it hits every beat you'd expect and doesn't do anything original. A pleasant enough watch. [5]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Legend when it came out on VHS. Didn't impress me then.   I was 19 or 20 by then so there's that.  Came across as an unfocussed mess.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, I expected more just because it was Scott directing. I actually think I was being too generous with a [5] so knocked a mark off.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    There are two versions of Legend, both different edits with completely different scores. The more widely available one is scored by Alan Silvestri, so it’s highly likely that’s the one Cos saw. The other one is scored by Tangerine Dream and, while it’s been some time since I had the opportunity to watch it, that’s my preferred version. Overall I like the film, and the sets are amazing even to this day.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a looker all right. I saw a snatch of it recently on TV. Had forgot Tom Cruise was in it!!!!

I just remember being underwhelmed by it - but I think I was expecting something more "80s VHS horror flick" - purely based off the cover as one did back then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Grave of the Fireflies This is a rewatch after seeing it a long, long time ago. 

I knew the basic story but had forgot most of the detail. Why do I do this to myself? I found this heart breaking.  A wonderful piece of art though. It's beautifully made. I'm not sure a "real life" version of this would be as effective.

One of the few pieces of animation I really rate (Akira and maybe Spirited Away* are there too).

* It's wonderful but slightly too whimsical.
  • Aye, one of the best. In my top 3, probably.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's good but it's no The Plague Dogs.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When the Wind Blows is another. Havent seen that in a long time. Probably for the best as it's stark.  Haven't seen Watership Down.
  • davyK wrote:
    Haven't seen Watership Down.

Treat yourself, Davy.  It's the greatest story ever told.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So I hear. Haven't read the book even.  Criterion have done a BluRay/DVD so it must be a special film.

I stayed away from it as a kid as I used to weep at bloody Lassie films!!  :)  Anything with an animal getting hurt. I teared up at end of Breakfast at Tiffany's in my teens!!!

Just checked it out on IMDB......what a cast!
  • Watership Down is legit.
  • It's a lovely condensed version of the book (top soundrack/score too) but in fairness reading it first is the way to go.  It's been my favourite novel since I was 10, and the only thing I'll reread regularly.

Just don't watch the BBC/Netflix version.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - think I'll read the book first. Just scanned a synopsis on wiki but don't want to spoil.   The author hated "Bright Eyes" apparantly.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    47. The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
    A mixed bag of highs and lows. It starts off pretty strong and there are some great scenes and sequences in the first half but then seems like it dries up, turning into a pretty average buddy film. Tin summed up the self referential aspects pretty well and I have to guess they're aiming for some meta commentary but it's wide of the mark so ultimately feels like a 'what could have been' experience.

The big plus point for me was it has one of the funniest sequences I've seen in a good while. It's just a shame that felt a bit isolated in the context of the rest of the film, though overall I'd still say it's fun and worth watching. [7]
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a lovely condensed version of the book (top soundrack/score too) but in fairness reading it first is the way to go.  It's been my favourite novel since I was 10, and the only thing I'll reread regularly.

The book is incredible.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I still have my copy from like 30 years ago.
  • 50. Dreams on Fire
    Lady moves from the countryside to Tokyo to be a dancer. Story is very slapdash and too meandering to be a good film but the dancing is great and I loved spending time in the Tokyo nightlife.
    [5]

51. All My Friend's Hate Me
    Gaslighting: The Movie. Or is it? I'm not sure. Quite well done really. Funny and uncomfortable in equal measure.
    [7]
  • Gremill wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a lovely condensed version of the book (top soundrack/score too) but in fairness reading it first is the way to go.  It's been my favourite novel since I was 10, and the only thing I'll reread regularly.

The book is incredible.

I had a hipflask engraved with a quote when we lost Bramble. My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today. Bit much maybe, but it helps make the whisky taste good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

The book is incredible.

I had a hipflask engraved with a quote when we lost Bramble. My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today. Bit much maybe, but it helps make the whisky taste good.

That's lovely.
  • 52. Dr Strange: Multiverse Madness
    Hard to watch a multiverse movie after Everything Everywhere as nothing will compare to that. This was a bit scrappy at times but enjoyable enough. I thought it would be bolder.
    [6]
  • Dr Strange
    Spoiler:
  • 35. The Shawshank Redemption
    I'd forgotten just how great this film is. Everything about it is proper. 10
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Taxi Driver Better than I remembered. Has been a long, long time since I watched it. The Netflix print of this looks tatty in places. In the same places I remember the DVD being so I don't think it was a streaming thing.

De Niro's act in this has been meme'd to death. But it doesn't take anything away when you go back to it.
  • A GoaT, that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's no Taxi
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Drive Ryan Gosling really is a class act. This is a brilliant film with a great cast and soundtrack. More than just the usual crime related film fare here.  Not sure how I managed to miss this for 20 10 years. But I'm glad I caught it now. It's a layered film showing the complexities of the crime life while remaining entertaining. One that will stay with me I reckon.

I can see why Gosling was picked for the Bladerunner sequel based on this.

Highly recommend this if you haven't see it yet.
  • 53. Wild Indian
    A film about generational trauma. I think. Was fairly good but not great. Was interesting to watch a film in a setting that isn't seen often.
    [6]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!