52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • 60. Detention - Switch (4hrs?)

Interactive slow burn horror story set in 1960s Taiwan that gradually builds into something special.  A lot of the interactivity is dated, but after an hour or so the clunkiness became increasingly less relevant.  The dodgy monster dodging is mercifully kept at a minumum (which helps me describe the encounters as impactful rather than irritating, in hindsight) and the puzzles are mostly of the find item here/use item here breadcrumb variety.  Which is fine, especially when the puzzles up their game in chapter three. I'd call it a point and click at heart, but there's survival horror here too.  It's reminiscent of Lone Survivor in places (game not film), albeit a more chilling, less ambitious version with a better tale to tell.  As I've accidentally mentioned films, it also reminded me of the Under The Shadow with its effective use of time and place to underpin and intensify the horror element.

I actually started this a couple of years ago before binning it in a huff after realising I'd lost half an hour of play to a manual save system.  I'm glad I never bumped it from the pile of shame as it's one of the most arresting chillers I've played.  Some elements fall flat - I'd argue some of the severed hand/spooky face stuff overeggs things slightly - but on the whole the missteps don't dilute the creepiness.  After finishing I read about a second ending (the 'true ending'), and I'm satisfied that the grounded in real life horror story does enough heavy lifting to earn this an [8].  There should be more titles that nail the elusive 'good horror' vibe this permeates, but much like walking sims the misses and near misses are far more numerous than the games that get it right.  

A haunting experience that's at it's best when it lingers and echoes rather than jumps out from behind a curtain.  Novel, hugely atmospheric and well composed.  Non relevant postscript: it's also  probably the best late night horror I've enjoyed in a caravan since I shouldn't have been watching Long Weekend as a 10yr old.

tumblr_png55qPGyU1uze48zo3_r2_540.gifv
  • 11. TLOU 2 - 22 Hours - 5/10 - PS5

Not sure why I thought playing this again was a good idea. Yes it’s stunning and technically brilliant in every way. But it’s just grim, depressing, horrid and sad in every other way. What a horrible game. Never will I play either of them again. Such a depressing game from start to finish with characters that you have no positive feelings for and make the wrong decisions over and over. Bloody horrid. So much worse when you’re playing knowing it all just gets worse at every turn.

Nob head. 5/10.
  • 61. Demon Turf: Neon Splash - Switch (2hrs)

Low priced spin-off to the supposedly quite-good-really Demon Turf that does away with all the non platforming elements the main game was criticised for.  I didn't play that and don't intend to after this; apart from the odd section where it feels like it kinda works it's pretty fucking woeful.  The haywire camera is the worst culprit, but the floaty controls make this feel like something that would've been worth ignoring on an OPM demo disk in 1999.  It's not a good mix.  We've all played 3D platformers where the camera goes goes astray on occasion (the mostly good Arise: A Simple Story springs to mind), but I don't think I've ever played one where it feels like someone's manually spinning it around in an attempt to hinder your progress.  It's a course based platformer that feels tricky in its easiest sections, simply because you're always one iffy view shift away from falling off a ledge.  You can mitigate the issues by rotating the camera manually, but the best of its peers keep their right stick teasing to a minimum.   

I quite like the Nintendo Life website.  They're not covered by Edge or GTFO game snobs and enjoy low fanfare non-pedigree indies on their own merits, but I just can't even begin to wrap my head around the opinion that this missed out on a perfect score by one point.  It's not a good platformer, and it doesn't do anything else.  I'm halfway through Super Lucky's Tale, which isn't widely considered a great game, but it's a solid effort and comparatively speaking feels like a mini masterpiece.  The decision to allow the player to place manual checkpoints on any safe ground in this is interesting, but I'm calling that as a red flag for the gameplay - there's no disguising the fact that this isn't good enough for the traditional harsh checkpointing of course based platformers.  

There are a few positive things I could say about it but I really can't be bothered.  There are plenty of worse games out there but not many that come with such big recs.  I played an 89p roguelike 3D platformer on Switch called Rogue Singularity a couple of years ago and the core mechanics - y'know, jumping on and over stuff - felt much better than anything on offer here.  Plus (don't let the gif fool you) the juxtaposition of flat sprites and 3D environs is fucking grim. [5]

fba5e594a75679b52e016caea51a80a7ff6265a2.gif
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Ahh Kirbster, there when I need you. That's Kirby done, about 90% done. Still have a last coliseum and some gatchas to find, but what an absolute charmer.

It does the double whammy of hitting you with a new idea every level, in Galaxy fashion, and then getting utterly monstrously hard post credits with the after game stuff. That post game stuff is really some sadistic platforming, and I was absolutely here for it.

Having covid meant I've utterly caned this game and when I close my eyes I just see Meta Knight, but that's been about 15 hours of joyous exploration and platforming. Finding all 300 waddle dees requires some clever thinking and creativity and, man, I needed that.

Well, back to Hollow Knight and Elden Ring after that Ray of sunshine.
  • 12. Godfall Ultimate Edition - 10 Hours - 6/10 - Series X

Wasn’t too keen on this when I played it through on PS5 but got it dirt cheap and heard they’d fixed a lot of things. They haven’t really. It’s still a simple hack and slash needing little skill but it looks pretty and it’s fairly short…

Not a terrible game by any means, just a very simple A-B slasher without any real story or real depth. An easy 6 really, grab it for something to play through if you can get it cheap. 6/10.
  • 62. DOOM Eternal: Curse of the Ancient Gods Pt.2 - Xbox Series S (3-4hrs)

Second round of dlc.  Eternal already does a bit too much for my liking, great as it undoubtedly is, and this one adds a few extra things into the (already slightly excessive) gameplay loop.   They all work well enough but you can have too much of a good thing, and the engrained multitasking starts to feel a smidge overwrought by the time everything's in play (and this being Eternal you'll need to be au fait with your full box of tricks, even on the lower difficulties).  There's a good split between those who prefer 2016 to Eternal and vice versa, and having played both I can see why, but the slightly moar stuff approach of the dlc feels a bit much at times.  Having said that, it's still brilliant when you're bossing arenas and the template is one of the very best updates/reboots of a classic franchise ever.  [7] for this one, which is what I gave the first part, but I'm aware that's a bit miserly.  2016 was nearly a [10], Eternal was an [8] for me.  The double dlc isn't quite as good as either but it's still ace, especially if you want to git gud rather than simply get through it.

Special mention to the amount of things you can tinker with in the settings too.  Options galore.  You can even have the gun sticking out straight ahead of you, like oldendoom.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    8. Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Ahh Kirbster, there when I need you. That's Kirby done, about 90% done. Still have a last coliseum and some gatchas to find, but what an absolute charmer.

It does the double whammy of hitting you with a new idea every level, in Galaxy fashion, and then getting utterly monstrously hard post credits with the after game stuff. That post game stuff is really some sadistic platforming, and I was absolutely here for it.

Having covid meant I've utterly caned this game and when I close my eyes I just see Meta Knight, but that's been about 15 hours of joyous exploration and platforming. Finding all 300 waddle dees requires some clever thinking and creativity and, man, I needed that.

Well, back to Hollow Knight and Elden Ring after that Ray of sunshine.

Just to update, the save file now says 100% and that feelsgoodman.

The post game stuff is proper shit and will challenge even a hardened Ori /whatever the fuck the new hard game is player.

That was some of the most satisfying platforming / bosses I've done outside of Odyssey.
  • 63. Boreal Tenebrae - Switch (3-4hrs)

I can't explain why I played this one, especially with plenty of alternatives either on the go or on my pile of shame, but it definitely had something to do with the trailer. 

It's a bold style that tickled my fancy with the nostalgic synthwave weirdness.  There's also no point in denying that I was intrigued to see what sort of game launched at 75% off (the RRP will eventually settle at £4.99 apparently, but it's currently cheaper than chips), plus it was thumbs upped on the SwitchUp sales watch (an enjoyable channel that can always be relied upon to have seemingly randomised recommendations).  

What if, I wondered, this ultra cheap indie effort was actually a warts & all, unrefined Kentucky Route Zero?  Like a rough demo tape by a teenage Daniel Johnston rather than a stunning late career concept album by Nick Cave.  It turns out that's not a million miles from the truth, but those warts are absolutely gigantic.  To the point where I didn't finish the game, I had to watch the last ten minutes on Youtube as I finally lost an epic running battle with bugs and glitches.  Anyone who attempts this needs to be aware that creating manual saves is the only safe way to get through it, and even then if you use up all three slots post-innocuous glitch (like I did), you're fucked.  The bug that killed my attempt to finish was related to a pocket knife, which eventually has to be combined with another item - not possible if the character keeps exclaiming 'I CUT IT!' when you try to use it correctly.  After much searching I found a reference to the bug online, with two suggested workarounds that unfortunately didn't work.  

So anyway, what is it?, even the one or two people who clicked on the trailer might be wondering.  It's a 90s inspired fixed camera angle 'dream logic' narrative adventure game where you character hop between dark and light zones with a shared inventory.  Strange hypnotic glitches have been appearing in town, and certain townsfolk may have been Carol Anne'd inside the static.  There's talk of strike at the mill and fierce opposition to the unions.  The are also ghosts with umbrellas, talking severed bear heads and giant long necked balloon monsters. 

Despite the bugs, the sometimes awful camera angles, bizarre invisible walls and occasionally nonsensical wayfinding, there's merit in here somewhere.  The game is a bit of a mess, but the minds that made it had some good ideas, some of which have been executed fairly well.  It's impressively non-linear and the mysterious narrative is both intriguing and reasonably well written.  I can't recommend it and I didn't particularly enjoy it, but there's something here that I can't put my finger on.  Maybe the devs will go on to better things?  I don't think I regret playing it...  [5]
  • 17: Ori and the Blind Forest (Switch) 9/10

Great game, I was a little taken aback with it at first.  Hoped it would be a nice breezy metroidvania that I could cruise through and admire the lovely graphics.  It's pretty bloody hard though IMO, you need to learn a lot of skills and, as the game goes on, chain them together to get by.

Doom Eternal's expansion just got a Moot review here, and funnily enough that's what Ori reminded me of quite a bit!  You get a lot of skills in this game and every time I got a new one, I thought, oh no, not something else!  At most points in the game I felt like I was just barely fully in control.  Much like DE it's really well paced though and seems to know the right moment to add that new skill.  By the end you're really quite versatile and can get around around damn near anywhere without many problems.  It does help too at a base level the moving and jumping are absolutely on point.

Lets not beat around the bush the main draw is the lovely graphics and this looks as good as anything on Switch IMO.  Just the loveliest looking map/environments.  Really dense and colourful.  Big shout out to that giant Psygnosis-looking owl too.  Runs a treat.  I guess it would look even better on Xbox/PC, but I can't imagine how!  Top drawer stuff.

There's not much wrong with it!  I didn't care about the text bits that occasionally describe what's going on.  I didn't take in anything.  Also didn't care for the manual save system, where you have to use a little of your energy to save.  I found myself either forgetting to save, or saving too often, then not having the energy to save when it would be handy to do so.  Maybe the fighting could be better?

Keen to try out the sequel soon.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Switch version of Blind Forest is astonishing.  You can't tell the difference really.  More stuff had to be nerfed with Wisps but it's still a magnificent port.  Big love for both games, will be interesting to see where you sit on the Forest Vs Wisps divide.
  • I do have Wisps (got the physical double pack), just thinking of playing something else in between in case I get a bit sick of the formula halfway through.  But definitely playing it soon.

Which one did you think was the best?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wisps improves the combat and the saving and is, IMO, superior in every way.
  • Love a bit of Ori chat.  I'm team Blind Forest.  Preferred the layouts for platforming and thoroughly enjoyed the chase sequences most people hated.  Wisps is amazing at times, especially when you're all kitted out, but the bosses are mostly shite and I dunno, BF edged it for me (fnar).
  • Some good reading there.

I thought the chases were quite good!  Didn't drag on + you get a checkpoint, and quick to restart.  Nice little exams.

lol I was initially looking forward to Wisps adding boss fights to the formula.  We'll see hopefully they click for me.
  • Exams is a great way to describe them.  Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is full of nice little exams too.

64. Katana Zero - Switch (3hrs)

I'm really enjoying revisiting indies of late.  I never touch New Game Plus modes and I've had a tendency to move onto the next shiny thing when credits roll for decades now, but second playthroughs of recent favourites are officially a great way to pass the time.

I think I gave this an 8 when I first played it, although I have a vague recollection of relentlessly complaining about the game's length.  There really aren't anywhere near as many playable sections as you'd expect, to the point where at least an hour of its brief runtime is taken up with cutscenes.  Having played it again, I'm starting to think the length is perfect as it runs out of ideas to an extent.  You can slow time and dodge roll, but you'll only really use the former to deflect bullets (unless I'm missing something).  The core room clearance stuff is fantastic, so I'm not using 'runs out of ideas' as a negative per se, more a legitimate excuse for its brevity.  The 2D Hotline Miami shtick is laser focused and, the (CRIMINALLY!) overlooked Not a Hero aside, it's probably the best side scrolling example of that sort of thing.

Visuals are up there with the best of the previous gen - it's absolutely stunning to look at.  Music is fine but unfortunately not all the way awesome.  Swordplay is on point and this time I'll say it doesn't outstay it's welcome rather than moan about the length.  Brilliant but basic arcade fun with added style; a nailed on [8] that can be polished off in an afternoon.

Edit: Found the young me review, I knew I liked it:
    Spoiler:

1afa4d4cc0e2c99085be0df80fe4731cfefec215.gifv
  • 12. Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 2 (Switch) - 5hrs  

So the original Curse of the Moon was a near perfect homage to Castlevania III.

I was over the moon to hear that they were making a co-op sequel, but unfortunately its not really lived up my expectations.

It's just feels inferior in everyday compared to the first game, its not bad but it just feels like they made a game with the leftovers of what didn't make the cut originally.

On top of that is a real killer blow to the co-op experience. To cycle through your party of characters in this you use the L and R buttons, but doing so creates a slight pause to the action. If one of you is in the middle of some platforming whilst this happens it will often result in death. It really does spoil the fun.

Also it dies the old cheap Ghouls N Ghosts trick of having to completecit twice to see the real ending, I absolutely hate that, so cheap.

So a good but very disappointing sequel.

6/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ooof, that co-op oversight sounds shit. Shame, I quite liked the original and assumed the sequel would be better. Might take it off the watch list.
  • 13. Thunder Cross (Arcade) - 30mins  

Very good Konami shoot 'em up that never saw a home release afaik.

Nothing out of the ordinary for 1988 really, R-Type and Gradius were both out by then but this does everything well.

As much as I like shoot 'em ups I'm not very good at them, this one seems a bit on the easier side than most I've played, actually felt like one I could get good at if I put more time in.

As usual, an absolute blast in co-op. Good stuff.

8/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ooof, that co-op oversight sounds shit. Shame, I quite liked the original and assumed the sequel would be better. Might take it off the watch list.

It really is, it's probably better in single player tbh. Might still be worth checking out but almost all the Castlevanias are superior so I'd go for the Anniversary Collection unless you've exhausted it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Didn’t realise Katana Zero was so short. I had it installed while it was on GP, but never got around to starting it. I would have done if I’d known it could be cleared in an evening.

Shame it’s not on GP any more.
  • I really liked the bosses in wisps.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Didn’t realise Katana Zero was so short. I had it installed while it was on GP, but never got around to starting it. I would have done if I’d known it could be cleared in an evening. Shame it’s not on GP any more.

It's probably 4-5hrs for a first playthrough as it's quite tricky until it gets to the point where everything slots into place.  Worth picking up in a sale for sure.  

65. Pure Mini Golf - Switch (3hrs)

Currently £1.29 (iirc, might've been £1.79). I'm a sucker for disengage-the-brain mini golf games.  I'm convinced there are dozens of mobile titles I'd love if I ever bothered playing games on my phone.  This one doesn't require the ridiculous grinding of (the otherwise slightly better) Pocket Mini Golf.  There are 50 stages, and it's basically 35 stages of mini golf followed by 15 stages that feel a bit closer to the Tomy tabletop AAARGH! game from the 80s.  Power is handled by a ten point power meter that rises as you hold the button, so it's point and shoot stuff.  The holes are mostly well designed, despite the fact that the required shots count (referred to as 'shoots' on screen) rarely has much correlation to the difficulty of the stage.  I was whizzing through at a rate of knots until I hit level 39, which genuinely felt like joke at the expense of the player.  It took me well over an hour to fluke, and the tactics I ended up employing didn't really make any sense compared to the rest of the game.  It may be the worst stage I can think of in a game since the early 90s, including the minigame computer screen section in Battletoads 2020.  @acemuzzy, please buy this and let me know if I approached this hole like an idiot (i.e, there's a vital mechanic I missed).  You can get there in 90 mins easily.  Once I made it through it was plain sailing to the end.  So weird, so shit.  [6].  Ultra-troll stage aside it did what I wanted.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Intriguing
  • Wow. First game I've finished in 3 months.

4. Elden Ring (SeX) - 23/4 - 180hrs
    This will be no news to anyone, but this is an incredible game. Average of 3 hours a day over 59 days, this took over my life for a while, and still does as I tackle NG+. No other game released so far or due to be released this year will come close.
    It's basically open-world Dark Souls 4. That is a good thing. But also ever so slightly a bad thing. While I prefer Bloodborne and Sekiro for their tighter and more refined combat and less bloat (see below), this is now my favourote Souls game - despite Demon's having a special place for me for introducing it all.

I'll just do a list of postives and negatives.

+ Aesthetically, and artistically, this is possibly the most beautiful game I have played. I spent many a moment just looking around and gawping at the beauty of it all. Very early on, I found myself thinking that if they did a big artbook for this (and I'm sure they will), I'll be sure to buy it. And I'm hoping Cook & Becker do some art prints for this. Will happily have nice ones on my wall.
    + The world building is, once again, second to none. It seems to be FromSoftware's USP almost as no other developer does it this well. Individual areas with their own look and feel that seamlessly and cohesively joined to make a believable world, dungeons are mazes and a delight to explore and unravel with their hidden paths and shortcuts, beautiful architecture and surroundings that make you ooh and aah and wonder at the history and events.
    + Abundance of characters with their own stories and quests, again helps toward building a more believable world (within the context of the story and setting). But also gives plenty of distraction from the main quest and helps flesh out more of the lore and narrative.
    + Speaking of which, as always it is a great pleasure trying to piece together the story and history and the lore. FromSoftware give you enough to go on to think and hypothesise and discuss, and hold back just enough to leave the intrigue. Masters of the trade. Can possibly see the GRRM influence and contribution.
    + The moment to moment feel of discovering a new cave, tomb, hidden area, new map and lots more besides. I will never forget the first time I saw some of the things that I saw.
    + Combat and mechanics have been improved over previous Souls games.
    + Huge scope, as always, for repeat playthroughs with different builds.
    + Some great music.

- It's just basically Dark Souls! While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it can sometimes feel a bit too familiar.
    - Suffers from the same bloat, with far too many weapons and items, most of which will never get used. Another reason why I prefer SekiroBorne.
    - Too many bosses and reused ones at that. First time I fought someone, it was amazing. Second time, meh. Third and fourth time? Oh, come on!
    - Some minor UX and UI issues, but not worth getting into here.

The negatives are minor quibbles. An easy [10].
    [10]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Wow, 180hrs!

You've probably got me beat all year for just this one game. Think my Switch and PS4 stats only added up to just over 200hrs for 2021.

Each year I seem to have less and less time to play, hence almost all the games I complete being bite size stuff.

I'd love to be able to play something like Elden Ring, last time I played anything that long was Breath of the Wild and MGSV which were both around the 80hrs mark.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Didn't you play MGSV on PS3? That's going back a bit.

I've bought The Witcher 3 on Xbox, I plan to give it a good go when the (supposedly free) next gen patch drops, but I already know I'll get bored chipping away at one game for months. Different strokes etc, love the abundance of quality short stuff available though.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Different strokes etc, love the abundance of quality short stuff available though.

Unless it costs 18 whole pounds, though, right?!!!!!!
  • At £18, it’s a [0]. If it cost £2, might push it to an [8].
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Hey, it's not easy setting such mercurial paramaters :)

Even I don't understand some of my retro scores.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!