Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • In Bruges is a bloody masterclass in swearing as poetry. Both script and delivery are things of sublime fucking beauty.
  • Ralph Fiennes was really good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Ralph Fiennes was really good.

Knowing nothing about the film it was a great surprise to see him pop up. A real treat of a performance from him.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Good acting all round in that film. Cunt kids, Lollypop karate man. Even Colin F was good.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If you are going to watch The Father, make sure it isn't the last thing you watch before going to bed. This is a very clever portrayal of a man succumbing to Alzheimers or a similar distressing condition , played masterfully by Anthony Hopkins with equal support from Olivia Colman and others.

It plays like a psychological drama presented in a way as to confuse the viewer, placing them in the position of the protagonist, but, it's all a set up for the last 5-10mins which is absolutely heart wrenching and drew tears from me. Anyone who is in a position of influence about elderly care provision must watch this. It shows what the people (or angels) who are in that role are really there for, and corners cannot be cut.

This will stay with me for a long time. Likely until the end of my life.
  • Thor Love and Thunder trailer is up

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Layer Cake

Had only seen the last 20mins of this before but I had forgot everything except for the very end. Decent Brit crime caper still worth watching.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    39. Sonic the Hedgehog
    Daft but fun would be a fair summary. Even by kids' film standards there's some lazy writing - the whole escape in the truck section was trash even if the highway sequence looked great. Anyway, Sonic is cool and funny, and Carrey does some solid villain work with a spot of classic gurning. [5]

40. Ninjababy
    I knew very little about this going in but that worked out really well. A funny, touching and frank film about a woman finding herself unexpectedly pregnant. It covers several themes with characters who (mostly) feel grounded and genuinue, and doesn't make the mistake of being preachy or overly sentimental. Some great laughs along the way and a few surprising but effective touches. Lovely stuff. [8]

41. A Single Man
    An incredible performance by Colin Firth in a stunningly beautiful film. Heartbreaking to watch his loss and there isn't a wasted look or gesture. A few small parts where it felt a bit 'loose' given the tight running time and I just didn't like the ending, but that could just be me. Worth watching for Firth alone still. [7]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Le Mans '66 isn't as pure and realistic as the 1971 Steve McQueen film but it's a great big slab of entertainment. Splendid stuff and as good a race film as you'll get. Quite a story and true too (Miles drove in the '65 Le Mans - he didn't miss it as in the film which is a departure from the truth for dramatic reasons no doubt). Worth a watch.
  • 22. The Northman - 17/4
    Brutal, gory, and unrelenting. I tried my best not to let that put me off as I can be quite squeamish. In the end, this was a thoroughly enjoyable revenge movie with ponderous scenes also thrown into the mix with the savagery and violence. Great to look at although not the same level of artistry as Eggers's previous.
    [8]
  • Yeah, The VVitch is still his best.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The VVitch

This plays off those fears we modern people have of old forgotten knowledge - of dark nights and simpler times that The Wicker Man and Midsommar utilise so well but in modern settings. This winds back the clock and is a brilliant take on that subgenre of horror and its hidden, ambiguous threats make it all the more effective.

Enjoyed The Lighthouse a few weeks ago. Bring on The Northman.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The Witch is spectacular.
    Get schwifty.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    42. Operation Mincemeat
    Disappointing. It started out strong but seemed to get worse the longer it went on. The most annoying part was they had a great story about this operation but the film-makers felt they needed to almost drown it in a nonsense romantic sub plot that took up large chunks of the film. When things started to happen, some of the most interesting parts were reduced to a series of sharp scenes that practically erased any notion of tension or intrigue. There were a couple of other storylines that went nowhere and they generally fumbled a promising start. Read about it on wikipedia instead. [4]
  • 42. The Northman
    Eggers once again shows his skill in crafting a world and shooting it well. Very physical and gutteral feeling although it did tend to keep me at arm's length mentally.
    [8]

43. Everything, Everywhere, All At Once
    Did I just see the greatest movie ever made? What a fucking achievement in filmmaking.
    [10. 11. 15. Just all the fucking numbers. Just give it all of them]

This was quite the day at the cinema!
    Glad I saw Everything at IMAX.
  • 42. The Northman ...although it did tend to keep me at arm's length mentally.

I hear ya!

Re: EEAAO, just found out it's getting theatrical here in May I think.  Gonna book as soon a I possibly can.
  • I felt similarly with Lighthouse too. I really enjoyed it and appreciated it but I was never really got absorbed into it
  • FFS still no tickets on sale, only at PCC.
  • Weird that the release is so delayed for you guys. Been out here for over a week.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The entire premise of the film has already been fatally undermined.
  • 42. The Northman
    Eggers once again shows his skill in crafting a world and shooting it well. Very physical and gutteral feeling although it did tend to keep me at arm's length mentally.
    [8]

43. Everything, Everywhere, All At Once
    Did I just see the greatest movie ever made? What a fucking achievement in filmmaking.
    [10. 11. 15. Just all the fucking numbers. Just give it all of them]

This was quite the day at the cinema!
    Glad I saw Everything at IMAX.

Oh man I'm so excited for Everything, Everywhere, All at once.

Can't wait
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I’m on that hype train too.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I’m really looking forward to see Everything, Everywhere, All at Once too. Looks amazing, and that’s a god-tier title.
    Get schwifty.
  • Remember - the 600+ VFX shots in EEAAO were done by just 7 people.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Sounds like one of them thar passion projeks.
    Get schwifty.
  • djchump wrote:
    Remember - the 600+ VFX shots in EEAAO were done by just 7 people.

For realz?
  • You - main team of 5 plus I believe 2 part time artists. (My mistake - 481 shots): https://mobile.twitter.com/dunkwun/status/1510436479591280640
    NB - probably spoilers in this article: https://www.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-vfx-team-all-at-once/
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home
    One fun idea stretched out over two hours. Not sure I get the hype over this one. I enjoyed Doc Strange being tetchy though.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah it was definitely diminishing returns at this point. It was… ok.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!