Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • I tried watching Hunt For Red October a few years back. Got bored really quickly and gave up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The one with the dog was canny

I genuinely had the thought process "there's another K movie, what is it, something to do with a dog and a detective, nah that's Turner and Hooch"

I blame that cake programme for rotting my kind.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I tried watching Hunt For Red October a few years back. Got bored really quickly and gave up.

Aye. I nearly gave up on it a couple of times but I had nothing else in mind to do.

Watched The Royal Tenenbaums last night. I first saw this a long time ago on DVD. Must be >15 years. I was kind of underwhelmed by it back then but given that it's well thought of, and I can remember little about it, I thought it worth a go.

Don't think I have seen a more immaculate looking film.  The look of it, while typically Anderson, is almost Kubrickian here. And there isn't a performance that isn't faultless. It's a work of art. Funny in places - don't remember that - not laugh out loud but pleasingly funny.  Reminds me how bloody good Gene Hackman was - such a pity he retired.   And isn't it great when Bill Murray just acts?

Just an exquisite film for people who like watching films and really great, understated acting.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yep, I wasn't keen until I rewatched it a few years later either.
  • I still think The Fantastic Mr Fox is one of Andersons best. Just pitch perfect voice casting and s lovely animation style.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fox is the only good film by Anderson. Man is just a hipster Lynch, overrated shit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I haven't watched much Anderson. The only other one I've seen in Grand Budapest Hotel which Wifey and I enjoyed. But I can see why many wouldn't.

From the two I've seen. Not much actually happens. Like a series of vignettes held together but beautifully made.

But I like Bela Tarr films, so Anderson's are action packed in comparison. :)
  • I am planning to watch The French Dispatch at some point. I don’t expect it to rock my world though.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    36. The Last Black Man in San Francisco
    A slow burner, essentially about the gentrification of neighbourhoods forcing out residents but actual story is pretty thin so doesn't dig too deep into that issue. It is however a stunning looking film, beautifully shot and there are a few powerful scenes dotted throughout. Ultimately felt like it was missing something to elevate it but there's enough positives, including great performances, to make it worth a watch. [7]
  • 40. Malignant
    Slightly ridiculous, massively flawed and not even remotely scary, James Wan body horror. Having said that, I did like the duality of the protagonist/antagonist in Gabriel, just in a better film. 6.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cosmos Nice little film with big ideas. Occasionally a tiny bit corny and the soundtrack is a bit over-dramatic at times - but it's engaging throughout.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ku Bei aka The Sadness (2021)

Thai horror about how a virus hits the country (oohh how topical) that turns people into ultra sadistic violent cunts.

It's one of those horrors that pushes things to the absolute extreme. I don't feel I've watched something as violent since the French New Wave of horror. Its so ridiculously over the top and fucking horrific, but sadly that's not a good thing. Blood and guts and eyeballs and decapitation and torture and come on chill.

I'm all for OTT gore if it's fun. But this just becomes tedious. A Serbian Film goes so extravagantly over the top that it essentially becomes a pitch black comedy. The gore is the only thing in this that ties it together.

Weak central performances, horrible script, by the numbers plotting. It's a shame as the opening 20 minutes or so is actual fun and sets it up well (from the train scene onwards it drops off massively) but it's just blood and guts and a couple of horribly misjudged sexual assault scenes and it's fucking shit by the end.

It's getting a [5] as that opening is a banger, and I have to give props to the creativity. But if you have even a slightly weak stomach for any form of violence avoid this. It will sicken you. If you can stomach these kinda films it's worth a crack as it's by no way the worst of its kind, its just handled so badly.
  • Moonfall

Well that was fun. Very silly indeed but lots of fun.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • All the Old Knives
    A spy thriller boiled down to a conversation between two ex-lovers. Big stars. Slow burn. Subtle. All the things I should like, but it somehow it just doesn’t land. Felt a bit flat, and the twist was signposted a mile off.
  • @DS

So it's widely available now or do you have your sources?
    I was interested to read your write-up as I'd heard that it was over-the-top in a "fun" way but you're suggesting maybe not. Although the other report I heard was from a horror festival so the atmosphere is probably different.

I'll still check it out. Maybe just with headphones on so my neighbours don't think some shit is going down at my place
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's on yarr at the moment. I just found it stupidly gratuitous, and not in a fun way really. Its literally the only thing carrying it, and it goes to all extremes. It doesn't really have fun with it, more like trying to one-up itself with each set piece screaming "look how sick we are" to the point of tedium.
  • Hmmmmm, alright. Well I already committed my brain to watching it so I'll see how I go. Was hoping it would have a more fun tone like a Dead Alive or Evil Dead 2 type thing.
  • I strongly recommend Headhunters which is currently on Disney plus watched it years ago and a rewatch was due.

Loved it. Thats what you call a bad day
    PSN - minkymu
  • Norwegian film?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Norwegian film?

Yes with him off Game of Thrones.

It's brilliant

PSN - minkymu
  • Aye, seen that. Loved it.
  • 32. The Fifth Element
    Hadn't seen this for years and although I did enjoy it at the time I never thought it was the stone cold classic that some think it is. However, I think I actually enjoyed it more now than i did on its release. It's endearingly daft, rough around the edges and as it accelerates towards the end just gets absolutely ridiculous. I hated Ruby Rhod when I first watched this but Tucker is brilliantly unhinged from the moment he steps on screen. Loved the practical effects and production design more now than i did before - it just ask works so well together. 8
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 21. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 9/4
    I somehow managed to sit through this trash. My boy enjoyed every minute though.
    [4]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    32. The Fifth Element Hadn't seen this for years and although I did enjoy it at the time I never thought it was the stone cold classic that some think it is. However, I think I actually enjoyed it more now than i did on its release. It's endearingly daft, rough around the edges and as it accelerates towards the end just gets absolutely ridiculous. I hated Ruby Rhod when I first watched this but Tucker is brilliantly unhinged from the moment he steps on screen. Loved the practical effects and production design more now than i did before - it just ask works so well together. 8

Fifth Element has so much enjoy - plenty of great performances and moments - but I think it needs a 2nd viewing to get that. Oldman is always worth watching of course.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    21. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 9/4
    I somehow managed to sit through this trash. My boy enjoyed every minute though.
    [4]
    Trailer looks amazing. I don't believe you have gone into this without bullshit Mario eyes tainting your opinions.

Sonic 4 life.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sonic [4] life.

QFT
  • I've had too much wine.
  • Fucking fanboys itt stick to watching your Uwe Boll and Michael Bay movies
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I watched a video game movie tonight too, the new Resident Evil one, Welcome to Raccoon City. Was a decent stab at a Resi 1 and 2 combo, some great scenes and sets lifted straight from the games. Fuck knows why it took them so long to get round to it instead of all the piss poor stuff they've been churning out since the first awful stab at it.

Not going to live long in the memory but it was fun enough and did what it set out to do, entertained while tickling my Resi nostalgia gland in a pleasant way

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!