Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Death on the Nile
    Branagh makes a great Poirot, and the cast all pitch in gamely … but this just isn’t as good as his version of Murder on the Orient Express. It feels rushed, even at two hours long, and the characters aren’t given enough depth.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    37. Saint Maud
    Got to see this in a cinema and show some friends who hadn't seen it. Definitely held up to repeated viewing. Amazing film.
    [9]
    I feel like the only person on this forum who was disappointed by this film. Went in expecting a great horror film and just felt... Bored.

I’ll join you Wookie. Very underwhelmed.
  • 31. Death on the Nile
    Not as good as Orient Express, but Branagh is a great Poirot and there's lots to enjoy especially, if like me, you haven't ever watched an adaptation of the source material. Great cast too. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    31. Death on the Nile
    Not as good as Orient Express, but Branagh is a great Poirot and there's lots to enjoy especially, if like me, you haven't ever watched an adaptation of the source material. Great cast too. 7

This but a 6 cos I guessed the MO… some give aways you learn from having watched the previous film.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ad Astra could be crudely described as Apocalypse Now in space. There are strong parallels even down to the narration.  Brad Pitt continues to climb in my estimations. This is practically a one man show - all due respect to the support. But he holds the screen for 2hrs and is never less than engaging.

A thoughtful , very human story that makes great use of the science fiction trappings to set the context. And the universe is beautifully made. There's even a small nod to 2001 in a vehicle design in one particular scene.

It looks great. Some scenes have an almost simple comic book look to them (thinking of Pitt standing before the Mars rocket for one). And the soundtrack adds to the heft of the emotion. This is a slow paced film but the action when it happens is fast and effective. A splendid film. Really enjoyed this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, I really like Ad Astra, it’s score really is excellent.
    Get schwifty.
  • 39. Boiling Point
    Stephen Graham is excellent as the beleaguered head chef in this tense, stressful and claustrophobic, brilliantly made, one shot kitchen nightmare. 9
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I’m looking forward to Boiling Point. Might be one for next weekend.
  • Been meaning to watch that. Might give it a go tonight.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I watched Boiling Point yesterday too, it was indeed very good, but then pretty much anything with Graham in it is pretty much guaranteed to be very good.

According to IMDB, it really was filmed in a single take as well.
  • Graham's performance was excellent and he also brought out the best from his supporting cast too, but if I was to make one criticism - there wasn't much 'story' to this particular drama. Trailer seemed to hint at financial irregularities behind the scenes, but that story element was as thin as the skin on a rice pudding.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    34. The Lighthouse
    I doubt I have much original to say about this but so glad I watched it as initially wasn't sure it would be up my street. It feels like an acting battle at times, Defoe and Pattinson are both superb and watching them unravel is mesmerising. Incredibly well shot and dripping with atmosphere, great stuff. [8]

35. Death on the Nile
    Mostly enjoyable but with a sizeable slice of murder mystery by numbers. Branagh is still the best thing in it and most of the rest of the cast are solid, though with so many accents going on it's inevitable that some are on shaky ground. It won't live long in the memory but it's fun and doesn't outstay it's welcome. [6]
  • Demonic

Neil Blomkamps (spelling?) Latest sci fi horror. Not bad, some good moments but ultimately felt like two different concepts sorta jammed together and didn't really work as well as hoped.
    Still entertaining though
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • CODA ***
    Quite amusing and well made but also heavy on cliche and sentimentality. Perfect Oscar fodder then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hunt for Red October Another one I missed for some reason. Amusing hokum but this could have been brilliant.

Alec Baldwin is impossibly young, slim and dashing as Jack Ryan.
    Sean Connery is impossibly distinguished as the Russian sub captain complete with immaculate grey/white beard.
    James Earl Jones is impossibly rock like as the US Admiral.

There's Sam Neill in there and a young Stellan Skarsgard but it's backed up by the premier league of "that guy"s.  The Russian sub interiors are exquisite.

Problem is there is no real sense of peril. Because it's Sean Connery in that boat - with that beard - no way it's going down. There's also the odd injection of light humour which doesn't help.

It's a fun film, but it's lightweight - it could have been superb.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • 38. Dune
    Glad I got the 4k Blu-ray and very glad I have a sub although my neighbours probably aren't. Stood up to a rewatch. Nice to hear that Zimmer can make a non-working repeat soundtrack if he actually cares, really noticeable when it goes all Batman for a brief moment but the rest is fantastic
    [8]

39. The Tinder Swindler
    I'm really not a fan of docs where someone tells their story as it adds an extra editorial layer to something that already has that in that in that it was made. It's an interesting story though and held my interest throughout
    [5]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bull (2021)

Gritty suburban UK revenge thriller. The things we do real well. Neil Maskell returns to his hometown after ten years to seek revenge on former 'friends' who destroyed his life.

Maskell is fucking insanely good in this. Compelling and terrifying as the unhinged lead. He's always been great as that middle aged, teetering on the edge kinda role (Kill List) but this is something else.

The director's previous work, London to Brighton, was outstanding. Relentlessly bleak, but Paul Andrew Williams excels at these low budget slice of scum Britain pieces.

Incredibly graphic in parts, brutal. Nobody in this is a good person. Proper shades of Dead Man's Shoes at time, although nothing is in that level in the genre, nor will it ever be.

Let down somewhat by an ending which I didn't mind but could see a fair few not going along with, but if you can ignore that last five, it's a fucking great ride. Top film.
  • Sounds right up my street that, what's it on?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Sounds right up my street that, what's it on?

I yarred it. Don't believe its on streaming yet, will be on all the usual sites however.
  • davyK wrote:
    Hunt for Red October … It's a fun film, but it's lightweight - it could have been superb.

It’s fascinating to hear the fresh take of someone who has never seen Red October before, all these years after release. For me it’s an all-timer, top of it’s cheesy genre. The best Jack Ryan adaptation so far. I wonder if I’d think that without it coming along with such fuzzy feel-good member berries?
  • I started watching it last night, it's great!! Never seen it before
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Submarine films in order...

1. K19 Windowmaker
    2. Das Boot
    3. Hunt for the Red October
    4. Crimson Tide

5. U571
    Could have been better if it was accurate and didn't have Bon Jovi
  • I started watching it last night, it's great!! Never seen it before
    Give me a ping....one ping only....

PSN - minkymu
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Submarine films in order... 1. K19 Windowmaker 2. Das Boot 3. Hunt for the Red October 4. Crimson Tide 5. U571 Could have been better if it was accurate and didn't have Bon Jovi

I always thought k19 was about a mountain.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's one of the earlier entries in the series, K2
  • There must’ve been a lot of straight to video sequels in between.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • K2, K-Pax, K19 is the correct watch order.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The one with the dog was canny
  • I’ve actually seen that.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!