Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Absolutely. He saved a very very average movie. But while I marvelled at his performance I felt it wasn’t enough to make it a great film.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    Perhaps I've just missed it but McAvoy deserves serious credit for Split. Incredible performance.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    23. Split - 6

An average M.Night movie, saved by a stellar performance from McAvoy. There is an amazing close-up scene where McAvoy doesn’t say a word but is responding to a character off screen, but the camera never leaves his face as he transforms from one character to another. Should absolutely be taught in acting classes. And the spoiler? 
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Elysium  Enjoyable scifi yarn based around the old elite/downtrodden storyline that's been around since Metropolis that requires the brain to be disengaged somewhat despite having someone like Jodie Foster on board.  Slick entertainment and credit is due to the design of the world and the old bashed up tech on Earth. A satisfying baddie to take down too.
    I loved this film. Even with Matt Damon

I quite like Damon. He's all right.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    Perhaps I've just missed it but McAvoy deserves serious credit for Split. Incredible performance.

It is a superb performance and it makes the film. Or perhaps I should say saves it.

I watched Split and Glass in quick succession. They were fine but I hope that storyline is left alone now.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, definitely a performance that saves a mediocre film rather than making it great. Glass was unnecessary but McAvoy was probably the highlight again.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    33. Force Majeure

This is one of the most awkward/painful films I've seen in a long time. Family drama ensues on a ski holiday when the dad doesn't react in the expected manner in a critical moment. The tension builds following that as the couple don't fully address it and it starts to affect others close to them. There's one scene in particular where they are discussing the incident with friends and the second hand cringe was almost overwhelming. There's a spot of dark humour, though not enough to act as a release. Generally it's engaging but emotionally exhausting. [6]
  • That's the one they recently remade with Elaine and Will Ferrell right?
  • 33. Dinner in America
    I genuinely hated this movie at first and then by the end it made me cry. Fuck you DS. Would an extra point if it was 10 minutes shorter at the start.
    [8]
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes lad! That intro is ao jarring, we almost turned it off too, then it turns into the most wonderful thing.
  • We did turn it off but was watching with my folks. I keep intending to go back to it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Watched dump.

23. The Football Factory
    I think I watched this out of some morbid curiosity knowing full well I'd dislike it because of the obnoxious subject matter. Fackin' cant of a film. 5

24. Along Came Polly
    Pretty slim early 00s, Ben Stiller, Jennifer Aniston rom-com. Hank Azaria's French 'scoobaa' instructor probably the highlight. 6

25. The Tinder Swindler
    Cringey but weirdly watchable doco. More for the bemusement that somebody could fall for such a greasy prick. The false lure of glamour and wealth can never be overlooked I guess. 7

26. Pig
    Prime Nic Cage performance as a swine loving truffle hunter whose curly tailed one is snatched, prompting a return to his past in order to retrieve the porky pet. 8

27. Obsessed
    Thin but watchable psychological thriller. Ali Larter's sexy but psycho temp attempts to interrupt the happy marriage of Idris Elba and Beyonce. 6.5

28. PIN
    Slightly bizarre Canadian 80s horror. A strict doctor uses ventriloquism and an anatomy dummy to educate his two kids. The unstable son however, allows the dummy to take on a life of its own. 6

29. The Undertaker
    That guy Joe Spinell is the highlight as a nutjob undertaker in this 1988 slasher that wasn't actually officially released until 2010 to DVD. Notable for being Spinell's last film before his death in 1989. 7

30. The Outpost
    A well shot, realistic account of the Battle of Kamdesh, which occurred in 2009 during the war in Afghanistan. Starring Scott Eastwood, who at times I can't tell is actually trying to act like his dad, or is just putting in a natural yet enjoyable performance. 8

31. Halloween: Resurrection
    Pretty poor follow up to the enjoyable H20, the theme of an internet reality show and hidden cameras a particularly painful and dated conceit. I would love to have been in the negotiations that saw Busta Rhymes make it through proceedings and best Michael. 5.5

32. Old
    An interesting premise, a group of people stranded on a beach that rapidly ages them. No doubt let down by having Shyamalan as the director, producer and scriptwriter, as evidenced by the odd script and uneven acting. 6

33. Cujo
    Aww nice doggy gets bitten by rabid bat and turns into apeshit psycho hound from hell. Pretty respectable film version of Stephen King's 1981 novel. 7

34. The Killing of a Sacred Deer
    A modern retelling of the Iphigenia in Aulis Greek tragedy. Colin Farrell's surgeon must make a difficult decision when the true motive of a befriended young man becomes chillingly clear. 8

35. Amsterdamned
    Actually quite enjoyable 1988 Dutch slasher. A detective must stop a nutjob apeshit diver who uses the canals of Amsterdam to stalk his victims. Part slasher, part black comedy, part Bond film (Vic Armstrong was a stuntman), this was an entertaining watch 7.5

36. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
    I thought I wanted to see more Borat but after half an hour I decided I didn't need more Borat. Not technically a bad film but just one where the joke was well worn after the first film. 6

37. The Changeling
    1980 haunted house horror that didn't really provide me with the old school scares and suspense I hoped for. 7

38. One Man and His Shoes
    Doco focusing on the cultural phenomenon of Michael Jordan and the Nike Air Jordan sneaker line. An interesting account that ends on a rightfully dark tone as it explores the tragic deaths that have occurred from the fervour to have the latest Jordan shoe, and the relative silence from Nike and Jordan himself to acknowledge this. 7.5
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The Changeling is an all-timer for me, it's been a favourite for years. Pin was entertaining too.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    That's the one they recently remade with Elaine and Will Ferrell right?

Yeah, that's it. Don't know much about the remake but can't imagine it has the same atmoshphere.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    36. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm I thought I wanted to see more Borat but after half an hour I decided I didn't need more Borat. Not technically a bad film but just one where the joke was well worn after the first film. 6

I had a similar vibe as I hovered over the play button so decided to skip it. Sounds like the right choice.
  • 36. House of the Devil
    I think the build up is better than the payoff but it's quite the build up! He's good at the tension that Ti West
    [8]
  • Yes lad! That intro is ao jarring, we almost turned it off too, then it turns into the most wonderful thing.

We're All Going to the World's Fair is showing at a film festival soon. Tempted to see it again but on the big screen!

Can you have a look at this DS and tell me if there's anything else you've heard of that I should see
    https://www.fantasticfilmfestival.com.au/films/
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Changeling is an all-timer for me, it's been a favourite for years. Pin was entertaining too.

I went in wanting something akin to The Omen but didn't get it. I think I was more drawn in by George C. Scott's interesting slacks and sports jacket combos. The scene where he wears turn up Lee jeans and a sweater really threw me.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Cos wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    36. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm I thought I wanted to see more Borat but after half an hour I decided I didn't need more Borat. Not technically a bad film but just one where the joke was well worn after the first film. 6
    I had a similar vibe as I hovered over the play button so decided to skip it. Sounds like the right choice.

Aye, I had put it off for long enough. I plunged out of a lack of inspiration and boredom but it didn't remedy either.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I really like The Changeling too. Classic old school horror.
  • Just not chilling enough for my hardened soul.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    70s folk were easily scared.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes lad! That intro is ao jarring, we almost turned it off too, then it turns into the most wonderful thing.

We're All Going to the World's Fair is showing at a film festival soon. Tempted to see it again but on the big screen!

Can you have a look at this DS and tell me if there's anything else you've heard of that I should see

Ultrasound is absolutely amazing. Complete mindfuck.

All My Friends Hate Me is awesome too., solid performances, not horror as such but has that atmosphere.

And The Northman is my most wanted film of the year.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    23. Split - 6

An average M.Night movie, saved by a stellar performance from McAvoy. There is an amazing close-up scene where McAvoy doesn’t say a word but is responding to a character off screen, but the camera never leaves his face as he transforms from one character to another. Should absolutely be taught in acting classes. And the spoiler? 
    Spoiler:

Not only announced, it's been out for years.
    McAvoy is incredible.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yeah that’s what I meant. I knew at least part of the outcome.
  • Yes lad! That intro is ao jarring, we almost turned it off too, then it turns into the most wonderful thing.

Ultrasound is absolutely amazing. Complete mindfuck.

All My Friends Hate Me is awesome too., solid performances, not horror as such but has that atmosphere.

And The Northman is my most wanted film of the year.

Yeah I'm super excited for Northmen. I'll try and get to the others too
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    We're All Going to the World's Fair is showing at a film festival soon. Tempted to see it again but on the big screen! Can you have a look at this DS and tell me if there's anything else you've heard of that I should see https://www.fantasticfilmfestival.com.au/films/
    Ultrasound is absolutely amazing. Complete mindfuck. All My Friends Hate Me is awesome too., solid performances, not horror as such but has that atmosphere. And The Northman is my most wanted film of the year.

Ultrasound is majorly on my radar.  I’m also keen to watch Offseason.  Reviews haven’t been especially good but it sure does look nice and has about it a Silent Hill vibe.
    Get schwifty.
  • 37. Saint Maud
    Got to see this in a cinema and show some friends who hadn't seen it. Definitely held up to repeated viewing. Amazing film.
    [9]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Body of Lies Well made but by-the-numbers double crossing in the Middle East. The excellent cast makes it watchable.
  • 37. Saint Maud
    Got to see this in a cinema and show some friends who hadn't seen it. Definitely held up to repeated viewing. Amazing film.
    [9]
    I feel like the only person on this forum who was disappointed by this film. Went in expecting a great horror film and just felt... Bored.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!