52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • 48. Steamworld Heist - Switch (11hrs 23mins)

Impossibly addictive side scrolling grid tactics adventure that still gets my vote as Image & Form's best.  There are deeper turn based affairs out there, but none with such a satisfying battle loop.  The buzz of successfully lining up a headshot kill via a ricochet goes a long, long way.  It's a shame that with so many playable characters and such a tight quest you won't be able to experiment much with peripheral steambots without grinding (levelling up new crewmates to give them acceptable stats takes too long, and means one of your mains will have to be benched), but tbh I pretty much rolled with the same posse I chose when I played this on on 3DS.  Love the heavy hitters, and Sally's kill shot perk is superb.  One of my all-time favourite gridmans, very pleased it holds up.  [9]

zjeeabn3rmi.gif

49. Pang Adventures - Switch (2hrs)

Brief but well made Pang update, lovingly crafted by PastaGames/DotEmu and published by DotEmu, who are pretty much the undisputed masters of faithful updates these days (Windjammers 2, Streets of Rage 4, Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap and the upcoming TMNT: Shredder's Revenge).  Most gamers of a certain age know their Pang, and they'll know if the solo/co-op bounce 'n pop format appeals.  Bold chunky sprites that veer close to cheap but deviate just in time mean that while it won't actually win any prizes for its looks, it's still the pengest Pang around.  Extra points for drop-in couch co-op (according to the website it has online co-op on Switch/Steam too) and a very reasonable asking price.  I've not seen bosses in a Pang game before* and they're good here, despite one sprite being reused four times.  A top quality arcade snack. [7]

bgyj22-1490605156733.gif

*Actually that's not true come to think of it - there's a pretty good shooter inspired by Pang on PS4/XB1/Switch with bosses, but I can't remember what it's called and Google is being deliberately awkward.  Apparently Pikuniku is a similar game to Pang.  Is it fuck.
  • Moot's been on a fucking tear!  Moreso than usual anyway.  

I never knew (or perhaps forgot about) Streets of Rage 2 on Master System.  Dodgy port aside, I'm dirty I never got it for christmas in primary school tbh.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I've been stuck indoors for over a week on (hopefully) full pay. It's been glorious. Need to test negative for two days before I'm back in, today was my first one line result on the covid strip. Just finished Splatterhouse 2 while the moot fam went swimming.

Edit: and now I have two double sausage and egg McMuffins
  • Been tempted with that Pang Adventures a few times.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 50. Batman Returns - SNES (80mins)

Andy kindly sent me a preview of the upcoming Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide To Scrolling Beat 'Em Ups, which I was so keen on I've pre-ordered to enjoy in full-gloss glory.  Me being me, I've made A LIST of games I fancy playing that passed me by.  I think I've played this briefly in the past - probably on a retroking retroday, where he stacked carts that we picked from blindly like someone asking Carol Vorderman for number cards - but definitely not for longer than a level or two.  It's based on the film of the same name, obvs, which I'll allow to interrupt this review quickly: I used to think the Returns was all-the-way great, but on reappraisal a few years ago I decided it's actually a bit of a mess.  A hot mess no doubt (it has so, so much going for it), but it's actually not the comic book classic I mistook it for as a youngster.  It is good fun though, but Batman '89 edges it for me these days.  Superman II is my men in tights sequel of choice. 

Released in early 1993 (or mid '93 in PAL territories), this Konami street brawler is infinitely superior to Sega's frankly terrible platform beat 'em up from late '92, which I made the mistake of borrowing once.  It may even be the best non SOR 16-bit scrolling beat 'em up, even if we include the Mega CD version of Final Fight, as I'm currently thinking it pips the TMNT games (the Final Fight sequels are on the aforementioned LIST).  It lacks a co-op mode, but as a single player example of the genre it's most definitely up there for the era.  Batman ruins perps like a cross between your standard lightweight knicker flasher type, Joe McAveragestats and Verecocha rolled into one, given that he can zip across the screen, brawl with the best of them and literally bash enemy heads together like a proto Floyd from SOR4.  He's a great character to go nuts with.  There are three distinct gameplay types for stages - your standard left to right sidewalk prowler (with additional Y axis movement), a flat plane Vigilante style affair (with projectiles) and a brief playable intermission in the Batmobile.  The flat plane stages can be a little annoying in places, but they're mostly pretty good, and the car section is fine as a one-off diversion, but the standard Double Dragony bits are class.

The music is good, despite the fact that it grates a little as it's mostly variations of the main film score, but the sound effects pack a punch.  Visually it's gorgeous, with some stunning effects like window shadows affecting the lighting on sprites, plus some delightfully whopping characters.  There's a decent repertoire of moves at your disposal and it flows nicely.  It has some minor flaws but for 1993 this is the good shit.  The world's greatest detective has got some pretty good videogames under his belt.  NES Batman, MS Batman Returns, this, The Adventures of Batman & Robin (MD, with save states), Batman: The Brave (Wii) and the Rocksteady trilogy is a pretty good CV off the top of my head, and this might be the second best of the lot (after Arkham Asylum). 92%

a1b57774dbe81269aa1017a9c2fab7fa.gif
  • 51. Splatterhouse 2 - Megadrive (1hr)

I've dabbled with this in the past, but I don't think I made it much further than the infamous hanging devil babies.  For a retro run this is a very specific type of ride, as I spotted precisely zero randomness in the whole thing.  It's very much the Wardner of scrolling beat 'em ups (I know I mention that game a lot these days, but I have a special love for it after replaying it recently).  It's basic, it's extremely harsh in places but if you're willing to learn the patterns it's doable.

It's got chunky sprites, a nice early Megadrive feel to the whole shebang and a weird pose if you press up that makes Not-Jason look like he's weeing.  Good stuff, doesn't really stand up without a specific pair of rose tint lenses, but I had a blast and I'll play no.3 at some point.  78%  

53913dafd3c5dee475e991378320cd3366bc670d.gifv
  • Enjoyed watching this chap play it, if only for the 'this is fucking bullshit' semi-affectionate tantrums towards a the end.  It was refreshing to watch a non D.A.R.Y.L make mistakes on a retro walkthrough for a change.

• Batman Returns is brilliant, glad you liked it.

The MD version of the '89 Batman is meant to be good, although I doubt it tops the NES game.

Splatterhouse 3 is more like a traditional scrolling beat em up if I'm remembering correctly. I think it got a bit of a poor reception from fans because of it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I played MD Batman a couple of years ago, probably in one of these threads. Will try to find it. I remember thinking it would've been great at the time but felt a little ropey in places.
  • From 2019....

Batman: The Videogame - Megadrive

Saw this in the Kim Justice top 100 MD list and realised I'd only ever seen screenshots of it, or possibly played it briefly.  Was surprised to see it looked a bit like a Batman skinned Vigilante.  Turns out there's more to it than than that, chiefly some 8-bit to 16-bit crossover zone platforming, which is a struggle to get used to at first.  The more I played the more I realised it's not as terrible as it first appears but it took a while to retrain myself to be comfortable with the mile-wide nasty streak.  With patience even the trickier sections can be bested by mortals although a couple of stages in particular left me wondering where I'd be without save states (both vehicle bits for a start).  Bosses are simplistic in a good old fashioned 'work out the specific weakness and do that' way.  One stood out in particular as it requires you to face away from it and jump over a flurry of advancing blows before catching it with a batfist on your way down.  Took a while to get to grips with the pattern for that.   Clearly nothing to write home about in 2019 but I'm pretty au fait with the era so I'm happy to hang my hat on this being a minor belter in 1990.  [7].
  • Are you getting to 52 before the end of March?
  • monkey wrote:
    Are you getting to 52 before the end of March?

That's the plan, depends on the back half of Eldest Souls.
  • There’s something about those CHUNKY sprite games that instantly puts me off and makes me think it’s going to be crap. I’ve got no idea why this mental association has formed. Was it easier to do big sprites therefore more likely to reflect a game that had had less effort put into it?

Splatterhouse 2 I remember as being one of those ones I wanted but it got a terrible review in (I think) Mean Machines Sega. Rented it a few years later iirc. All I remember from it is the pissing.
  • Would've been OG Mean Machines Ireckon.  Big chunky sprite games usually were a bit shit tbh, it's not a bad association to have.  If your guy takes up most of the screen it's not likely to play that well.  Case in point: SNES EWJ (not SNES Final Fight, lel)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s possible larger sprites on older hardware means less power left over for the things going on around the character.
  • Yeah.  16-bit power occasionally strayed into Blum territory:

ian-malcolm.gif
  • 10. The TakeOver (Switch) - 2hrs  

Had a scrolling beat em up gaming session round moots a few months back, and out of the dozen or so games we played this was one of the ones that stuck in my head the most.

It’s about as generic as you can get for the genre but you know what, that’s ok by me, the cast of characters are the basic rip offs from Streets of Rage/Final Fight you’d expect. The move set is decent enough, with it’s biggest draw being separate punch and kick buttons that allow you to slightly increase your hit combos. All the rest of the standard stuff is here, specials that decrease your energy, a rage mode and so on.

The graphics are generally quite decent imo. They went for the Mortal Kombat/Killer Instinct digitised look, sure it’s dated but so is every other bloody retro inspired indie game, at least this stands out from the crowd a bit. Some levels look better than others and outside of some dodgy animation I think it pulls it off.

It's ok, but like most of these retro inspired releases it’s a one and done, and the ones I’ll be returning to will still be those late 80’s and early 90’s brawlers.

6/10  

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think I gave that a 6 too. Flawed, but much better than you'd expect.

Got my eye on Mayhem Brawler when it gets a proper discount. Played the demo on Xbox, it's a cheap copycat SOR4. Was doing plenty right.
  • 13: Elden Ring (PS5) 10/10

My first complete game of March, and I now move to within 39 games of overtaking Moot for this year.  The race is on.

Such a great feeling when you're waiting months, if not years for a game and it comes out and it's every bit as good as you were hoping!  This was always gonna be, at the very least, interesting and fun to talk about but it's ended up being a true classic and one of the best things I've ever played.  It's good to feel like this about a game when you're pushing 40 and think you've seen it all.  Even had my first genuine conversation with a store clerk I'd politely spoken with for years at the local EB about Elden Ring.  "have you been to the pink wasteland bit?!" I excitedly asked in hushed tones, not wanting to give too much away but dying to know.

It's Open World Dark Souls.  It's unpolished in many ways (it's a touch choppy at times on PS5 and has some pretty unseemly pop in) but so well put together in other ways.  It's got the BOTW thing where it seems like no matter where you're standing there's something interesting on the horizon to coax you off the main path.  A sword, a boss, a wierdo NPC.  In open world games I usually just go where the GPS says, but From games are famous for hiding interesting stuff, even full blown levels, in places many won't see.  It's cool seeing stuff pop up on Reddit and shit that I had no idea about.  In fact I started a new game last night and just instantly found a bit I never found first time.  Can't wait to read others' adventures, watch Vaati lore videos on YouTube, and play it all over again, trying out a new build to use the weapons I never had the stats for last time.  I love Souls, I love this.  I can't imagine anything better coming out this year.

Is there stuff wrong with it?  Yeah.  Like I can honestly say I only REALLY loved one of the boss fights.  I did miss the boss fights from Sekiro where you've only got the 1 character to work with and they're built around his skills.  In ER it's more of an RPG so it's usually a matter of figuring out how the attacks go and changing your gear and using whatever the hurts each boss the most.  I really do think they've pushed the attack patters right up to breaking point.  IE Like how they look like they're about to attack then pause for half a second to coax you into dodging early.  That and pivoting their attacks on the spot when you sneak around to their side.  It feels a little too cheesy IMO and I'd like for them to figure out something better for next time.  The bosses designs and what little I know of their character are mostly impressive and intriguing and gross, it's just the actual fighting didn't get me going quite like they could've.

I reckon it's good enough that I am cagey about criticizing it for not having a quest log; I really don't fully appreciate how Souls games work and am afraid that adding conventional game stuff will ruin the formula in some way.  With that said, I was lucky enough to score a new job a couple of weeks ago and I was too drained after work to play much, so I had absolutely no chance of remembering what I was supposed to be doing beyond Kill the Large Bad Men.  Maybe it could do with a little something?

Other thing, fucken, dropping a patch that nerfed my character something shocking, right when I entered the last stretch of the game!  The last boss took me like 4 days to beat after my Hoarfrost Stomp was taken away from me.  Admittedly I was really taking the piss with it, stomping around boss fights like Angus Young or some shit, but come on.  I'm not very good.

But yeah, the easiest of 10/10s, all timer, will play again, a game no parent can afford to miss etc  

• A game I'll never play that I enjoy reading opinions on.  If I try a 3D Souls type it'll be Sekiro or a 60fps Bloodborne.  Congrats on the new job.
  • Cheers mate.

Good call on Sekiro - If I had to recommend one soulsbourne I think that'd be closest to your cup of tea.
  • 52. Eldest Souls - Switch (8hrs 3mins, one billion deaths)

Finished this last night and I still can't decide quite what to make of it.  It does many things very well, but the missteps cause massive bleed damage to any sentence that might start with the word 'overall'.  

I love boss rush games.  Furi, Shadow of the Colossus and Cuphead are crackers. I'll include the three home console Punch-Out games as I reckon they fit the bill in hindsight, and they're all fantastic.  I wish Titan Souls was too, but I'll mention it rather than include it as I settled on a pretty mean [7] for that in the end.  This is one of them, but with added SOULS, I guess.  There are a relatively small number of guardians you'll have to beat en route to the credits, with no enemies in the areas between.  To successfully take them down you'll most likely lose a vast number of lives while learning their patterns (or double down on cheese mode, more on that later). 

My route to the end game was as follows: one shotted the first boss like a boss (although it's a glorified training session tbf).  Bested the second one on maybe my 5th attempt.  Got stuck on the third boss for what felt like two full hours, finally beat it.  Got stuck on the fourth boss for another ninety minutes.  Got stuck on the next boss for another ninety minutes.  Decided to tackle them in a different order, beat the new fifth boss in ten minutes or so.  Returned to the ice guy that was giving me gyp, obliterated him immediately.  Found another boss and wrecked it in two attempts.  Struggled a bit with the next boss - for twenty mins or so - then found the final boss and took my wife's name out of his mouth (metaphorically speaking) in three or four attempts.  This now looks like a paragraph where I stumbled around looking for my trumpet for a while then proceeded to blow it for ages; I'm actually trying to highlight the strange difficulty curve/balancing issues.  In graph form, that's an unusual roadblock, no?  As this is my 52nd game of the year, here's one I made earlier:

GPnKjKt.jpg

I'm not convinced that represents a balanced game.  The problem is caused by the fact that every time you defeat a guardian you can add an extra perk to one of three skill trees in the menu (only one discipline can be focused on at a time), buffing your stats in some way.  In theory this makes sense, as the shot in the arm is designed to help you with the presumably tougher subsequent battles.  But for me there was a clear point where the perks stacked the odds in my favour and the finely crafted git gud stuff imploded and opened the door for an outdated Leeroy Jenkins reference.  I even said in the Currently Playing thread how neatly this game handles its difficulty, as you can't brute force anything (and you really can't, early on), but with one particular bloodthirst perk you really can, to the point where it gets a bit silly.  Of course I could have chosen not to double down on what I considered to be a whopping exploit, but without it the later bosses - which are technically trickier - felt incredibly annoying, so I kept using it.  
    Spoiler:
    TLDR: There's a huge question mark over balancing issues in this game, and I think they fudged some of the finer details.  In my head BOSS DIFFICULTY and USEFULNESS OF PERKS are just two sliders on a giant control panel that need to be fiddled with by the devs a little bit until they meet somewhere agreeable, kind of like a good example of a handshake deal in Theme Park.  As it stands they don't converge/complement each other correctly imo.  Or rather they do, up to the point where one starts to massively outpace the other.

Performance-wise this hangs in menus, which is annoying, and the skill trees/item slot stuff is needlessly convoluted (with minimal explanation).  You need a grappling hook to get over this early game gap, but there's no reason to ever use it again.  More annoyingly, character movement is incredibly slow.  Granted, he's carrying a whopping great sword and it's probably heavy, but the in between boss sections are a chore simply because he moves like a church, as my dad would say (which I recently realised isn't actually an idiom, it's just a weird phrase he uses).  You can locate a trinket to speed the character a little but an item hunt to bump walking speed to an acceptable level is a bit much.  

I've highlighted a lot of what I perceive to be faults here.  To the point where I've talked myself down from an [8] to a [7] I think.  Probably reads like a [6], right?  I often find the 'almost' games the most infuriating to play/sum up, and this is the biggest nearly since my Below/Flinthook double whammy last year.  For the most part this is a meticulously crafted boss rush with an extremely individual combat system that works.  Despite my issues with it I really enjoyed it, especially the first half, and the £11 I paid seems reasonable.  With a few kinks ironed out and a couple of knob tweaks it could have been superb though.  Overall it's decent despite half a page of moaning, so I'm going with a final answer of [7.5]

One more thing quickly.  This game has no sense of humour whatsoever.  It's incredibly po-faced.  Which is absolutely fine, but the ending stuck out like a sore thumb.  I'd just spent 8hrs chipping away at a lovely looking pixel art adventure, then WHAM, this Sticklebrick monstrosity appeared.  From 2:26 here.  MASSIVE SPOILER ALERT.

All that was missing was a kid playing the Jurassic Park theme on a recorder.  What the fuck is this about?  It's such a disconnect from the painstakingly odious beauty of the rest of the game.  When did cut-scenes in contemporary games have the pixels that could take an eye out?  What era is that an homage to?  It looks like a Neo Geo Pocket game with mumps.
  • 53. Forza Horizon 5 - Xbox Series S (3hrs 43mins)

A give up rather than a finish really, but Vere sets the rules.  I'm finished with it anyway, for a while at least.  This is up there with the best looking videogames I've played.  In performance mode it's practically faultless.  The series has been swoon-worthy for years, but despite the next gen-ness it still looks like FH3 if I'm not wearing my glasses.  Which is no bad thing, because FH3 was gorgeous too.  

It plays pretty well too.  I think the main reason I'm done with it is that I thought I'd put in at least 8-10 hours since launch, but the in game clock says I've been driving for less than half that.  Whichever way you slice it something's off there, and I'm clearly not enjoying myself as much as I should be. Criticising this almost warrants a first world problems meme, as there's so much here to applaud, but at the same time there's something a bit dull about the whole thing (sorry, I know it's loved on here).  Perhaps dull isn't the word, as the last event I took part in had me racing against monster trucks while a massive plane Jimbo'd me during A Really Big Jump that a Mexican man described as awesome, but there's a distinct hint of beigeness under the hood, despite all the gaudy chutzpah & literal fireworks.  The handling is fine.  The events are quite varied.  The music is superb*.  I finished at least one (of four, I think) Horizon/main story events in each of the zones.  I can't put my finger on the reason why I find it slightly boring, but I clearly do, and will be freeing up the space on my HD shortly.  An undeserved [7], it just doesn't have a moreish core to keep me on the hook.  I think I'm broken, as I played Rise: Race to the Future over three days for twice as long as I've played this since launch.  

giphy-downsized-large.gif

*Thanks to Spotify; it's impossible not to enjoy chucking the Hoonigan around to Waylon Jennings.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You should join an FNF one week, that’s where the game truly shines.
  • I should try online stuff more regularly really. Is FH5 always online? Someone was bibbing me earlier, I'd just stopped for a mission as they overtook me and slammed the brakes on. Realised afterwards it probably wasn't an AI driver.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It defaults to online, but you can switch to offline.

I’ve been doing some of the seasonal stuff tonight, there are a couple of really good tracks that people have made (although one of them may trigger some Hotwheels PTSD).

Did another at random to complete the daily challenge, someone built an entire traditional Japanese village in Mexico for you to race around. I was pretty impressed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    7. Persona 5 Strikers

Finally glad to have completed this journey of the Phantom Thieves. They've nearly, but not quite equalled the 4 gang in my affection for them, and the combination of Persona tactics and Musuo pursuing Lu Bu activities works really well.

The story is a bit of an excuse to get the gang back together, a road trip, but the new character Sophie is a really sweet and naive addition to the group as an AI who is learning what it means to be human. Between pressing Y and X a lot on the Switch, there are some really good story moments, and, to be frank, this is an excuse to luxuriate in the P5 aesthetics and characters again.

I clocked out at 25 hours, defeating a final boss that was an embodiment of something I will not spoil, but like all JRPGs, you're destroying something intangible.

The anime cutscenes are a bit more infrequent than I would like, but they are up to the usual Atlas standard, whilst the tunes are welcome additions to P5's rotation of absolute bangers.

I did feel the game kind of slogged over the last two dungeons, with the penultimate one being a developed maze with warp points that really felt unnecessarily tedious at that point in the game. Whilst the ending and final developments were up to series standards, the grind at the end did put a bit of a dimmer on the game for me.

But it's living in the Persona world, as I am keen to do at any point, whether RPG, dancing game, fighter or Musuo and it only makes me want to go buy a copy of P4 Ultimax for Switch even more.

Best game series?
    Best game series.
  • Good write up, that - should really give Strikers another go.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!