• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eternals then. Frown.

I went into this completely cold with no pre-conception or idea of what it was about. I nearly gave up in the first 20mins. It felt all over the place , overly contrived and po-faced to boot. The exposition bit actually picqued my interest and it became more focussed so I stayed to the end. I like the "science" of it - you can't fault the story for not being ambitous in its scale and scope. The tie in to Greek mythology is pleasing.

Hokum of course, but it diverted me. The creature design was depressingly derivative. Its inclusivity grated at first because it felt forced - but I blame my age on feeling that - how else is it going to improve? The cast are good.

The post credits shenanigans means I may watch the followup - but not in the cinema.  Not a criticism - I only watched the last two big Avengers films in the cinema and have not much interest beyond that. An interesting concept but I guess the comic book author(s) have to take credit for that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    25. The Batman
    A solid, overall enjoyable outing for the bat but with some sizeable flaws. It was at least 45 mins too long, it didn't really need Catwoman (and it was a pretty flat interpretation of the character) plus there were 'twists' you could see coming a mile off. The final set piece also felt massively out of place and unnecessary.
    Thankfully it did a lot well, Dano and an unrecognisable Farrell were great whilst Pattinson did a good line in unsure vigilante. The gritty interpretation and aesthetic worked for the most part, and it was a superb looking film for the most part. Some really impressive looking scenes and technical work definitely helped to keep me engaged. It was more disappointing than bad as the evidence was there for a much better version. [6]
  • 27. Jackass Forever
    I mean people getting hit in the nuts never gets old. Some sections weren't great but the funny stuff was really funny. Must have hurt doing some of this stuff at their age.
    [6]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I had never watched King Kong (1933) start to finish before so took the opportunity offered by iPlayer.

It's hard to imagine the sensation this must have been at the time. One doesn't even have to allow for the technical limitations to say that in many ways this is superior to the modern remake. The number of iconic shots here (that long shot of the Empire State building is simply beautiful), the pacing, the imagination that went into the encounters all go together to make that so. 

Even with the limitations, technically this is impressive stuff and it doesn't hold back in showing deaths...the animation while jerky is superbly done at conveying movement and the action. It makes Godzilla made 20 years later look bad in some respects (although these films can't be compared in all other ways as that is a far more intelligent film - Kong is a ripping yarn).

Fay Wray :)  Cute as a button but she had some lungs on her. Poor old Kong must have felt like he was playing Yoshi's Island with the baby permanently off his back..  

Even the soundtrack which is at times hammy and melodramatic (this is after all a bit of a melodrama really) is at times humorous and atmospheric (thinking about how the music sounded prior to the train attack). And there are even a few places where it's silent (the t-rex fight and the initial bi-plane attack) that make those scenes more effective.

It's hackneyed in many ways too - the cornball dialogue for example. But once on the island there isn't much time for that other than a few snappy sentences to move the plot along. I can't see certain things getting past now either - the Chinese cook, the grass skirted natives etc - there's even a brief scene showing a native lady using 2 halves of a coconut shell as a bra - but of course that is very much of its time. The #MeToo movement would have something to say about he private time Kong has with the lady too..There were other tropes like the infinitely wise sea captain who could speak the native lingo.

For all that this is still rightly considered a classic. Far superior to the 70s remake and stands alongside the over cooked albeit loving Peter Jackson tribute.
  • 20. The Batman - 6/3
    Way too long and the finale was not great, but I liked it. Brutal action, very moody and atmospheric, and RPatz does well. Look forward to the inevitable sequel, although the villain they possibly teased - not sure about that.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

• 28. Drive My Car
    A gentle and beautiful film on love and loss and other things besides. It's long and doesn't mind taking it's time but I didn't mind. I didn't really want it to end.
    [9]
  • Finally got round to watching SW Episode II with Tilly after quite enjoying Episode I last month. Verdict: utter bobbins. It's the worst one by [a dozen parsecs]. Didn't make it past the conveyor belt scene when it came out, turns out I'd seen the best bits. Why is Ewan McGregor so shit in it? He delivers every line like he's auditioning for a small part in the first series of Knightmare.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Look what happened to Liam Neeson after doing Star Wars. The film equivalent of turning to the drink.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Why is Ewan McGregor so shit in it? He delivers every line like he's auditioning for a small part in the first series of Knightmare.

Ooooh. Nasty.
  • Watched The Kingsman on Disney +

No where near as bad as everyone says. Ok yes it has some pure hokum in it, and some bits just don't make sense. However i still enjoyed it. I thought there were some enjoyable performances, pretty good action scenes, one huge shock and some honestly touching moments. And a huge slice of ham from the villian which is possibly the weakest element

A solid 7.
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d say it gets better as it goes on. The Russia stuff was the weakest scene and felt at odds with the rest of the film.
  • I thought it was shit, but still a lot better than the second film. That was really shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yar, it's the second one that's really bad. The first one is watchable, if you squint.
  • KINGSMANS RANKED:
    1 > 3 > 2
  • Cant hack any of them.
    'What if James Bond but written by the editor of Nuts magazine.'
  • I like them. Just feel that they could do without some of the laddish sexism. The whole scene in the second film involving
    Spoiler:
    was utterly unnecessary and the objective could have been achieved in a long list of alternative means.
    The
    Spoiler:
    at the end of the first film just ruined the whole movie, end the film 10 seconds earlier and it's much better.

The third film I didn't have much issue with, I really enjoyed it. And Rasputin was excellent!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Third Man is another iPlayer one I hadn't seen before.  A very slick tale of black market racketeering in post war Vienna. A who's who of British actors alongside Orson Welles and the bewitching Alida Valli (what happened to her? She's a knockout).

Beautifully shot against the post war ruins and with a highly recognisable soundtrack, it's still well worth a watch.
  • I like them. Just feel that they could do without some of the laddish sexism.

They could do without all of it. In the fucking bin with Millar’s constant playground-level sexist shite.
  • poprock wrote:
    Aye. They’re bad.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • poprock wrote:
    I like them. Just feel that they could do without some of the laddish sexism.

They could do without all of it. In the fucking bin with Millar’s constant playground-level sexist shite.

Yes. This is a better argument. I should have said "all" rather than "some".
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Sorry to hammer the point, it’s a bit of a bugbear for me. I’ve worked with the guy briefly, and had beers with him. He’s fucking clever, and he does a massive amount for his home community while also being a mover and shaker on the global stage. But his work always, always includes completely unnecessary parts where he descends into schoolboy sexism … and sometimes goes so deep into it that the work becomes genuinely nasty. I think he must have some deep-seated Mummy issues or something.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Remind me what's sexist about a lass suggesting some anal sex again?
  • There’s nothing wrong with anal. There’s something wrong with a woman being presented as a prize for a man to win. And something insidious about the ‘ladsladslads’ sense of humour it was celebrated with.
  • Just read this looking for an explanation, which seems to be an excuse for whoever wrote it to get a load of (no pun intended!) bum puns in while pulling an isn't it awful face.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/decider.com/2017/09/21/kingsman-anal-sex-joke/amp/

I don't mean to be anal but make your mind up.
  • davyK wrote:
    The Third Man is another iPlayer one I hadn't seen before.  A very slick tale of black market racketeering in post war Vienna. A who's who of British actors alongside Orson Welles and the bewitching Alida Valli (what happened to her? She's a knockout). Beautifully shot against the post war ruins and with a highly recognisable soundtrack, it's still well worth a watch.

Third Man is one of my favourite films, and Orson Welles one of the great cinema villains.

Valli turns up quite a lot in Italian Cinema - in everything from Oedipus Rex through to Suspiria.  I think her relative obscurity owes itself to her decision to buy herself out from a pretty shitty contract with David Selznick, and return to Europe - rather than continue to be exploited as a "movie star".
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    There’s nothing wrong with anal. There’s something wrong with a woman being presented as a prize for a man to win. And something insidious about the ‘ladsladslads’ sense of humour it was celebrated with.

It was her choice. Can't see what's wrong with it. It's actually more sexist to have a problem with it
  • That’s far from the worst example of shitty bits in Millar’s comics/films anyhow. We disagree, it’s fine.
  • I think with kingsman( the 1st two) it was a play on the original bond films level of sexism and fnar fnar innuendo. For some reason the irony is lost on the majority but i can understand why it grates
    PSN - minkymu
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Oh no, they're depicting a consensual sex act! This is wrong, sexist and insidious! Won't someone think of the women/children?!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!