52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • No good piece of media with the word “earth” in the title has ever been good.

Battlefield Earth? Trash
    Another Earth? Just bad
    Earth, Wind and Fire? Ear abuse.

Based on this, Earthwork Jim is not good.
  • Earth Angel is a top tier earworm though.

102. Speed Dating For Ghosts - Switch (<2hrs)

A bit of weird never hurt anyone, and this ploughs its rather odd furrow quite well.  Yes, it's a speed dating game with a cast of deceased characters (think Blind Date in the waiting room from Beetlejuice, perhaps), but no, it's not awful just because you haven't heard of it.  Or maybe you have heard of it, but dismissed it because it's a low budget speed dating game starring ghosts, which is an understandable I guess (just don't expect the more enchanting dead gamers to date you in the afterlife).  It's very good though.  These sort of mini curio narrative choice things never really manage to achieve true greatness for me, but this comes closer than most.  I enjoyed the dialogue (chuckled a few times and would've spat tea out if I'd been drinking it once), thought the characters were well written considering each only has a brief stint in the limelight and crucially, felt that my chosen responses enhanced the natural flow of the conversations.  I didn't always know who I wanted to date, and felt the urge to revisit each room to see how the dates I turned down turned out.  It's £1.79 atm and I reckon most open minded badgers would have a reasonably good to almost great time with it - a nice little game that's littered with deft touches I didn't expect. [8]
  • I won't stand for any Earth, Wind & Fire slander.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dude they suck
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There’s got to be at least one Eartha Kitt album with her name in the title.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just realised you’re including band names anyway, so yeah, Eartha Kitt.
  • Earthworm Jim has the word 'earthworm' in the title, not the word earth :headwobble:
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Dude they suck

What? They have at least two good songs!
  • 5. Uncharted 4 (PS4) - 20hrs

Second run through of this to complete on crushing difficulty. I was a bit disappointed with this on my initial playthrough, and unfortunately I still feel the same.

Don't get me wrong, it's still great overall but the series just feels a little tired for me now. I absolutely loved the PS3 trilogy and played them multiple times to the extent I actually got Platinum Trophies for all of them, something I definitely won't be doing with this.

Maybe that's part of the reason I'm a bit fatigued. Did I expect too much from the jump to PS4, or is it simply too many releases in a short space of time. I've completely bounced off Assassins Creed and CoD for those reasons.

Despite all the moaning I still really like it, is fundamentally the same game as the second entry which is an all time favourite of mine and an easy 10/10, but if Naughty Dog decide to return to the series I hope it's after a long break or a bit of a shake up.

8/10 

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 4 was my favourite as ND really nailed the cinematic side with that one. I'm often a skipper when it comes to cutscenes in games but the balancing act between shooting/climbing/watching is a huge part of Uncharted's appeal.

The only one I can say I didn't like is the Vita entry, with 3 being the most disappointing (despite having some quality sections). Good series but agree it could do with a cooling off period.

You should try The Last of Us 2 retro. I wasn't massive fan of the first one (enjoyed on the whole, probably gave it a 7 or an 8 ) but the sequel blew me away.
  • It's in my Pile O Shame, will get around to it soon.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 6. Sonic the Hedgehog (GG) - 1hr 30min

Game Gear port of the Master System game, and the only Sonic port to be utilised for the system, so no stupidly cropped image unlike the sequel.

This might lack the thrills of the 16-Bit classics but there's still a cracking little platformer here, definitely one of the best of Sega's 8-Bit efforts along with Castle of Illusion.

8/10 

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Honestly, I think it's my favourite Sonic game.
  • I remember being able to hit the first boss on the GG version as he was moving from left to right at the top of the screen, whereas you had to wait for him to descend on the MS version.

More interesting and possibly misremembered Sega funfacts next week.
  • Jungle Zone on 8-bit Sonic is probably the only Sonic stage with actually good platform jumpy bits.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I remember being able to hit the first boss on the GG version as he was moving from left to right at the top of the screen, whereas you had to wait for him to descend on the MS version.

Yeah, that is actually a thing and an unfortunate oversight on an otherwise excellent port. There's an odd glitch jumping off the waterfall in the Labyrinth Zone to, other than that the GG port is meant to be superior. There's a very good comparison video on YouTube covering every single difference.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Honestly, I think it's my favourite Sonic game.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Jungle Zone on 8-bit Sonic is probably the only Sonic stage with actually good platform jumpy bits.

It's the most platformy Sonic game, sounds stupid but I think you both understand what I'm getting at.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I remember being able to hit the first boss on the GG version as he was moving from left to right at the top of the screen, whereas you had to wait for him to descend on the MS version. More interesting and possibly misremembered Sega funfacts next week.

You can hit the boss in the middle on the MS version. It's a matter of timing.
  • I tried it loads as a kid. Guess I never had the timing :(

Also yes to retro's platforming comment. I usually say 'pure platforming' for that sort of thing but there's no specific term afaik. As long as everyone agrees it's better at jumpying than Earthworm Jim we're on the same page.
  • The 8-bit Sonics were decent enough at the time but I don’t get on with them now.
  • I never clicked with that version of Sonic 2. Probably because I never worked out how to hangglide properly. I don't think I've played the others.
  • Sonic 2 was decent. I only played Chaos briefly, couldn't get into it for some reason, probably 90s Sonic fatigue.

There's a few Game Gear exclusives, Tails Adventure is meant to be decent and very different.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Double post
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 7. Double Dragon (GB) - 45mins

For the hardware this is a very impressive version of Double Dragon.

Like the NES game it lacks the co-op, which for a scrolling beat 'em up always sours the experience. Being a handheld this is a bit for forgivable though.

Other than that the only real negative is the lack of check points, death results in starting from the beginning of the level. I guess for a game you can blast through in under an hour needs all the padding it can get though.

There's numerous versions superior to this, but it's about as good the genre can get on GB.

6/10 

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've got Double Dragon II, but have never been able to finish it. Maybe I should try the first one instead.
  • Hey I had GB DD1. Think I even finished it. Good chiptunes.
  • 31. It Takes Two - Xbox Series S (12hrs)

Brilliant split screen co-op platformer that I had at no.3 on my GotY list for 2021.  I'll stand by it after a second playthrough (although if I'd played it in time Returnal would've bumped everything other than A Monster's Expedition down a place).  It's too long and a couple of merely okay sections drag the average down, ergo it would have been a better experience without them, but otherwise it's superb.  Even the appalling cut scenes are magnificent.

I was worried this might not quite be suitable for Tilly but it turned out fine in the end.  Even that bit gave her the giggles.  There were tears when the game was over, but that was because, quote: "I'm just sad that it's over and now I'm never going to be able to go back to not knowing what happens next".  Deep.  She was quite invested in the story tbf.  An [8] turns into a [9], was a joyful experience that she handled with some superskills.  There are some truly top drawer sections in this. 

it-it-takes-two-josef-fares.gif
  • Slowly playing through It Takes Two with a mate. Doing about an hour a week so its slow going but really like it.
  • 9. Spider-Man: The City that Never Sleeps (DLC) (PS4)
    Fine. Three separate episodes here, telling one not great story. Brings nothing new (although the Screwball challenges are slightly tweaked from the main game's Taskmaster ones). Each episode deteriorates slightly in polish and effort. The last one was actually quite buggy. The main campaigns of each, if you push straight through them, are short. But it's still the same very decent game. With the best Spidey action yet coded. Would have liked them to experiment a bit more, rather than squeezing more out of gameplay and systems that the main game had already firmly squeezed.
    72%
  • Never revisit MD Spidey. It's aged worse than EWJ.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!