Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The jury is out so far.

Fwiw Returnal didn't quite click with me, but I need to give it another go at some stage I guess
  • You’re shit, that’s why it didn’t click with you.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Probably true
  • regmcfly wrote:
    J'disagree

I think I fancy playing it again now. Played a chunk of it as a child on a caravan holiday when I met a couple of kids on the site and we ended up swapping between vans for most of the week. Young enough to keep up the my-console's-better-than-yours shtick but clearly enjoying seeing how the other side lived. Mario 3 was the whopper, undeniable envy. In my head they went home thinking the same thing about Psycho Fox but who knows. Enjoyed on GBA but that was nigh on 20yrs ago now.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The jury is out so far.

Fwiw Returnal didn't quite click with me, but I need to give it another go at some stage I guess

I liked what I played enough to shelve it for a bit. Gonna blast through Miles Morales and Astrobot first so I can give Returnal the full attention it deserves.
  • 5. Steel Assault (Switch)
    I'm sorry to have to break this to you all but Moot was right again. This is really enjoyable. Contra with a whip and an occasionally used grappling hook. It's hard but infinite lives and regular checkpointing mean even scrubs like me can brute force, trial and error through it. Completely opaque nonsense plot that seems to start mid-story and doesn't really end. Some of the best Snes-style pixel art you're ever likely to see. Very short, quite limited in what it does but packed with bosses, explosions and satisfying enemies to whip into oblivion. 
    82%
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    J'disagree

I think I fancy playing it again now. Played a chunk of it as a child on a caravan holiday when I met a couple of kids on the site and we ended up swapping between vans for most of the week. Young enough to keep up the my-console's-better-than-yours shtick but clearly enjoying seeing how the other side lived. Mario 3 was the whopper, undeniable envy. In my head they went home thinking the same thing about Psycho Fox but who knows. Enjoyed on GBA but that was nigh on 20yrs ago now.

Don't you dare talk smack about my son Psycho Fox
  • Toppest tier 8-bit jumpman. Bum skims ftw.
  • 24. AtroBot: Astro's Playroom - PS5 (3hrs)

Just a quick run through the four stages + boss so far, got the artefact hunt/speedruns still to come.  What a splendid little half game to pack in with a new console.  It oozes awesome from every orifice, yet I feel sad for anyone who loved this and hasn't had the chance to check out Rescue Mission on PSVR.  I guess the closest comparison for the point I'm trying to make here would be Superhot - superb with a joypad, insane with a headset.  I replayed Rescue Mission last year, thoughts within thoughts here - it's absolutely the best exclusive Sony has ever offered imo, including the ridiculously exceptional The Last of Us 2 (an experience that left me with residual feelings somewhere between slack-jawed awe, deep melancholy and shellshock).  This is brilliant, and effortlessly trumps all non Mario 3D platformers ever (and some of those), but it's not quite as glorious as its predecessor.  Hopefully this doesn't sound like I'm knocking it as that's not my intention, but man Rescue Mission is nigh on peerless.

Having said that, not a single drop of Astro's Playroom is wasted.  It could well be the best thing I play on my PS5 between now and packing it into the loft/part exchanging it for a PS6.  Brilliant. [9]

giphy.gif
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I played Superhot with a pad and thought it was canny shite. Bullets travel about as fast as you and your enemies can walk, fucking stupid
  • Bullets felt faster in Rescue Mission but it was more of an on rails experience.

All three were better with an optional peripheral.
  • Glad you enjoyed Astrobot!  Was pretty much a given.

Will have to check out the original on PSVR2; hopefully it's affordable (and in stock) within a couple of years.

9: Dr Mario 64 (Switch) 8/10

I only played the story mode for this.  The story is very half arsed, even for the lowly standards of a puzzle tournament mode.  It has cutscenes with no real animation that look terrible and I forget what the plot is about.  I think Wario nicked some medicine or some shit.  Anyway, who cares about that.

I believe it's pretty much the same as the old NES game, but the story mode has you facing off against an enemy.  It's the same principal as multiplayer Tetris or Puyo Puyo where you clearing viruses sabotages your opponent.  Fun stuff and it seems like you can get really good at it.  I improved from Hopeless to Nearly Mediocre over the course of a couple of hours.

Story Mode is short but it doesn't fuck around with the difficulty.  Medium got the better of me and I had to turn it down to Easy in order to see the credits.  I felt good but a message popped up at the end that said 'Congratulations!  Try beating Easy without losing' which I thought was a bit harsh.  Easy is still pretty hard.  

Good game that holds up; I'll hopefully not play it again though.  It's the sort of thing I can lose whole evenings to all too easily.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 25. A Night at the Races - Switch (2hrs)

Another 89p sales jobbie, this one has a whopping two reviews on Metacritic, both 7/10.  It's a short stage twitchy platformer/runner with odd point & click narrative segments punctuating the action.  These in-between bits are genuinely good, but I can't slap a seal of approval on the main game.  You'll be mostly playing an indie platformer called No Berry Left Behind, which is pretty much described as annoying and derivative in the well written emails/forum posts you can access between levels.  How meta.  It's also pretty unique, so fair play to the devs for trying something different.  I can't pinpoint precisely how goodbad the platforming is though, which is annoying me.  I had plenty of 'why am I playing this?' pangs when the wonky gameplay didn't work, but also regular sections of stringing successes together that made me wonder if maybe it was quite good after all.  There are certainly aspects of the design that I like.  Nonsense I know, but I can't give a definitive verdict on the core auto runner as it seemed to exist in an unfathomable state between abysmal and addictive.  Muzzy knows his onions with this sort of thing, and I have absolutely no doubt he'd hate it at first, but I'd be interested to find out if he eventually thought there was something worth playing here.  Or maybe I'm just a loony.  A legit curio. [6]    

gif4_SHORT_USETHIS.gif?t=1605891779

It's worth giving the trailer a watch, even if you have no intention of playing the game:

• 6. New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
    Cromulent but uninspiring. Feels like I've played it before a dozen times. Almost nothing original about it. Still does a solid job and completely playable. Caned the whole thing in an evening. Loads of secrets left untouched but can't be bothered with all of that. 
    77%
  • Yep. That was a shit one.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 7. Batman: The Brave and the Bold (DS)
    Textbook example of how to use a licence. The spirit of the cartoon distilled into a platform beat em up. Full of ridiculous cartoony animation and nonsense. Each level is Bats and some other character and you swap between them to do stuff, use their various abilities to get around obstacles etc. It's not exactly sophisticated. It's like an old 16-bit game with fancy graphics. But then, that's exactly what I like. Batman does a wall jump which is exactly like the wall jump from the NES game, which also happens to be the most satisfying wall jump ever coded. This one isn't quite as good but I appreciate the homage. 
    The whole thing isn't very tight to be honest but its mostly serviceable. Some of the characters don't control that well and everything could do with being a bit nippier and more precise. If they'd have done better there, this could have been something special. It's also really easy. It's hard to die because enemies drop so much health. And if you fall down a hole you start at the same place you jumped from with no health penalty. I'm not sure how you fail a level to be honest and there's 8 of them, so pretty short. Makes a nice change from the ridiculously impossible 16-bit cartoon Batmans. I doubt they had grizzled, 40 year old, platform vets in mind when they were putting it together. Unlockable challenge levels and things which seem mildly more difficult so might do a few more of those.  
    There's so many nice little touches. Plastic Man is so good he could have his own game. At one point, Batman gets turned into a gorilla and Aquaman rides him like a horse while Bat-Man-Gorilla uses Aquaman as a whip to attack other gorillas and sometimes sharks. The final level has Batman running with a giant comedy bomb which is another highly appreciated reference.  
    82%
  • Played the Wii version with Retroking iirc. Was good fun.
  • Yeah, I remember liking that.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    5. Banjo-Kazooie
    I was utterly ready to come storming in here with "it still holds up lads" and put it to a vs on Mario 64. Then the final boss battle had the absolute suckiest use of an already dodgy camera, the egg firing controls on Switch are useless on the analogue stick, and I spent half an hour save scumming my way through it, mostly the final phase.

Much to love, including the music, but I cannot say in any good conscience that it "holds up" these days. As the levels get more complex, the camera shows its creaks and it becomes more and more frustrating.

The opening world and the final world are good, but I'm done with Banjo for probably the rest of my life.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    6. Vampire Survivors

Putting this in here as it can't really be completed but I've put a shift in. This is some good ass Moot gaming if ever there was one. Thanks to DS for gifting me a copy on Steam. Its just a single stick game that becomes more and more insane. Like a slow motion geometry wars with the actual equipment from Castlevania, a banging soundtrack and good unlocks.

I'll keep jumping back in but I really love this one. Don't sleep on it. Its like £3 and if/when it comes to switch it will utterly slap.
  • Never heard of it, will investigate.
  • Yep I'd play that, hopefully it gets a Switch port.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Yep I'd play that, hopefully it gets a Switch port.

If you have a PC with any specs just buy it and try it. It's £3 and would run on a condom
  • It took me an entire first half of football to get the browser running for BT Sport last time I opened my laptop. In theory you're right, but I can't even stand looking at it any more. It's older than the hills.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This game is 400mb
  • You want moot to take up all his usable space for this game?
  • What kind of deviant plays this sort of game sat at a PC anyway?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's gonna be 30fps on Switch

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!