52 Games…1 Year…2022
  • I always pronounced it loom-ins, but vita version pronounces it loom-in-es on boot up.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Shit Davie. Threw me straight under the bus!
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I’ve always said loo-min-ehzz, because I’m sure that’s how we were told it was pronounced when it first came out. I don’t have a source for that. But neither does this article.

I’ve always said it that way too ever since I first got it with my import PSP.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Andy posted whilst I was, I was referring to the way I said it in the video.
  • Actually just booted it up there and it sounds like luminous!
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Shit Davie. Threw me straight under the bus!

Beep beep!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Charging the Vita tomorrow
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Charging the Vita tomorrow

Beep beep!
  • 10. Invisible Inc. - Switch/PS4 (roughly 10hrs across two consoles)

This has always been something I intended to find time for despite struggling with it when I initially played on PS+, and I hoped the portability of the Switch version would give me a helping hand.  Much like Darkest Dungeon (which annihilated me after 12 painful hours of trying to love it), Shadow Tactics (threw the towel in after two sessions) and Frozen Synapse (limped away after 4hrs) it's definitely a game I want to like that I'm not really built for.

I'm a blooterer, and it's high time I admit it.  None of the games mentioned suit the natural Leeroys of this world.  'He who dares, Rodders' *smash cut to Game Over screen*.  I (re)started it with the best of intentions, but after a few hours it was painfully obvious that I'm not cut out for tactical espionage with anywhere near this many systems to learn/plates to spin.  So I headed towards the safe glow of the accessibility options.  After adding the power of veinites (99 rewinds, more money, more starting power) I had a good go at cracking it....and failed.  Well, I succeeded insomuch as I reached the credits after becoming au fait with the general gist of it, but I used around 20 rewinds on the final stage (default setting allows you 5) and didn't feel remotely close to taming it properly.  

Is it a good game?  Yes, definitely.  I'm not convinced it's a great one (JonB vouches for it I believe), but I saw enough to know that there's an ungodly amount of depth and a hell of a lot to take in.  Characters blocking doorways annoyed me, as did the view (no matter how often I rotated it it never felt as user-friendly as a top down game might) and the frankly terrible Switch performance did my head in.  It runs fine until you suspend it, but sleep mode fucks it and you'll need to close the software and restart to drag it out of the treacle.  Poor show.  Still, if you're willing to put the hours in I've no doubt everything can be learned if you haven't got the information retention stats of a goldfish.  [8] feels fair.  I had a good time giving it my best shot, but it strikes me as an incredibly difficult game on any setting other than beginner (which I played with extra assists anyway) that would require around 20hrs of full dedication to reap genuine rewards.  That's one of the biggest noises on my pile of shame silenced at any rate. 

872762711188950926.gif
  • 4. Aladdin (SMS) - 1hr

I was never a massive fan of the two 16-Bit Aladdin games, they're both decent but I never got the huge hype.

I booted this ROM up as a curio and ended up seeing it through. Like the MD game the graphics and presentation are stunning for the hardware, it follows the plot of the film really well.

The game is made up of auto scrolling platform levels, not a million miles away from a modern mobile style game. The rest is Prince of Persia style platforming, with simple switch puzzles and key collecting sprinkled in.

It's great that the Master System got a unique version instead of a quick and dirty port like the NES received. In a way I'm more impressed with this than its bigger brothers, but they're obviously far superior. Still for what it is, this is a decent little game.

6/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 11. NiGHTS into Dreams Remastered - Xbox 360/Series S (2hrs)

Spotted this in the current BC sale for £2ish and quickly decided there was nothing in the world I fancied playing more.  There was a time when this was jostling for no.1 on my all-time ever list.  Can't resist I'm afraid, in 1996 my top 10 would've been something like 

1. Virtua Fighter 2 
    2. NiGHTS
    3. Landstalker
    4. Dynamite Headdy
    5. Red Zone
    6. Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 3
    7. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
    8. Shining Force II
    9. The Secret of Monkey Island
    10. Wonderboy in Monsterland

The Remaster is passable.  It's an odd mix of loving update and lazy gloss-up.  I bought it on PS3 at the time, but the omissions wiped their feet and I cut my nose of to spite my face by barely touching it.  The level music is locked in, which means the wonderful evolving soundtrack of the original has been stripped back to its out-the-box form.  Such a shame, because the implementation of seemingly organic chiptunes in the Saturn version was utterly superb.  The A-Life changes reset after each level too, as far as I can tell.  Not deal breakers I guess, but indicative of a rush job in my book.  The fact that the view is zoomed in by maybe 20% is a deal breaker though, and meant that I quickly ditched the lick o' paint widescreen Brand New Dreams play mode in favour of the 4:3 boxed out Saturn Dreams option, which replicates the original quite well.   

The score chasing core is probably the best thing Yuji Naka has ever had a hand in, and this is coming from someone who adored the first wave of Sonic games and thinks four player Chu Chu Rocket is about as good as couch mp gets.  If I'm being totally honest, the template is so good it deserved a touch more finesse with some of the layouts.  For every divine course there's one that feels a bit too scattershot in terms of object placement, which is a Naka trademark perhaps.  Still, even with the slight unevenness the overall package is irresistibly good, and outrageously original.   

The bosses are superb, and worth a tip of the hat for how strong they all are despite requiring totally different methods to dispatch.  Even now Puffy would crush most of the competition - was chuffed to get a 1.8 multiplier on my first go yesterday.  Still got it etc.  My highest link during the recent playthrough was 77 though, which is pitiful compared to my Saturn numbers.

It's a game worth gushing over, but I've got other things to do rn so I'll just shout out a few more things I love(d) about it: The deformation of the environment and mirrors in Soft Museum was some nifty Saturn HW electrickery - thumbsupcomputerboy.gif.  The hours I spent trying to create mutant Nightmarian babies.  Nailing a complete link is videogame crack.  Christmas NiGHTS (which is on the collection, minus a few things). My first analogue stick.  Plus the scream of an A-life creature accidentally sucked into a vortex is one of gaming's biggest 'oh noes' moments for me.  Top stuff, absolutely ripe for a proper sequel - there's so much unmined awesome in the gameplay format (the Wii sequel felt flat).  94%

BrilliantInsignificantGrunion-size_restricted.gif
  • 5. RE3 REmake- 4 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

Continuing the series play through (of the ones I want to play). Best Resi currently. Just so f’ing good. Little short but as it’s non-stop mental action that’s fine with me. Tons of weapons, awesome Nemesis, batshit Resi story, perfect.

Onto number 4…
  • Will grab that at some point, never played no.3.
  • It’s short and a lot of people perhaps rightly didn’t think it was worth full price, but it’s awesome. Well worth what you can pick it up for now.
  • Yeah I loved it, completed it last year.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 4. Power Blade II (NES) - 1hr 35mins

Just like the original this is a very good action platformer for the NES, the graphics are improved with more detailed sprites and backgrounds, it has more of a dark tone like the NES Batman game.

Unlike the original the levels are now completely linear, instead the hook is an optional mid level boss in which you gain a suit with a unique ability similar to the Mega Man games, there are four of these in total which will greatly enhanced your character and your chances of seeing the credits.

Like the first game the bosses are a bit hit and miss, it has a bit of a difficulty spike on the last level, with only one checkpoint right near the end. It then does the classic boss rush mode before the final battle, unfortunately does feel a bit cheap here as the last boss is insultingly easy, a better designed tough final fight would have been much more rewarding.

So yeah, its another top action platformer for the NES, something it definitely didn't lack. This series stands out amongst the pack for me though, its not quite as good as Castlevania and Mega Man but its not far behind. It's a shame it never made the jump to 16-Bit.

8/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 12. Gris - Switch (2hrs)

Tilly occasionally dabbles with this and I've thought about another playthrough a few times.  Got most of it done in a cab yesterday and finished it off this morning.  If you haven't played this you should check out the visuals at the very least, it's beyond stunning.  I'm a pixel art fan at heart, can't get enough of it (which is handy given the current crop of indies) but that's not everyone's cup of tea.  It's hard to imagine anyone not swooning over the water colour hand drawn animation on display here though; describe this as the most beautiful videogame ever and I doubt many people who have seen it in motion could muster a genuine scoff.  There's bound to be a name for the art style but phwoooar will have to suffice here.

Thankfully, the game behind the looks is solid.  Nothing spectacular, let's be honest if you stripped the visuals out and replaced them with something horrendous no-one would write home about the gameplay - it averages 'pretty good' over its brief runtime though.  It's a straightforward puzzle platformer at heart, but there are some neatly designed moments.  Score would depend on mood, but an [8] still feels right to me.  I half enjoy the Little Nightmares games, which are equally gorgeous in their own way, but the style/game balance is a lot more even here.  The fact that this is just a footnote on 2018 lists speaks volumes about the state of play right now. Terrific music too.

GRIS-1.gif
  • 2: Catherine: Full Body (Switch) 6/10

This is the third time I've played Catherine, which is only interesting because I've never really loved it or anything.  I guess it's short and novel enough that I don't mind finding time to play it every once in a while.  

I did enjoy this play through the least.  It's down to how I play story based games and puzzle games.  Story games you have to give your full attention to, but puzzle games I generally play while I'm watching the cricket or whatever.  This game jumps between the 2.  I think it does an alright job of marrying the puzzle bits with the story but I'm generally in the mood for one or the other these days.

Might just be a case of seeing them too much, or maybe the new story bits aren't that good but I kept zoning out.  Whatever the case, I don't need to see another cutscene of protagonist Vincent grunting and gurning his way out of another amorous misunderstanding.

Catherine: Full Body (Or Catherine: PAWG Edition as Moot once called it) has a new girl and I figured I'd try and woo her given I'd already seen the other endings.  Probably should have looked up a guide though as I just ended up with one of the endings I'd already seen.  Not sure I can bear to play it a 4th time but I probably said that about playing it a 3rd time too.  Maybe in a few years .

3: 51 Worldwide Games (Switch) 5/10

I don't have much to say.  This is fine.  It needs a bit of pizazz.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I've never actually finished Catherine. That's one I should try and do this year. I got stuck on one of the puzzle stages, went off and played something else then when I went back I couldn't remember how to do it.

Sneaking in just before the day is out, here's my week 3 update.

Suggestions for future thumbnails welcome.
  • 2. Esp RA.DE. Psi (PS4/5) - 23/1 - ???hrs so far
    Not quite Ketsui-level of greatness, but great nonetheless. Took a little longer to warm to it, but it’s a great shmup with a decent scoring system. Usual care by M2 with the overall package and UI and data/info.
    Dangun Feveron next!
    [9]
  • 13. Power Blade 2 - NES (90mins)

Pretty good follow up to the excellent Power Blade.  Even though on paper the linear progress appealed more than the find item, then exit approach of its predecessor,  I thought the first game was much tighter in terms of design.  This one had different suits to collect and swap between, which seems to have a negative effect on the the enjoyment of just being shades wearing crew cut pyromaniac guy - he's just not cut out for certain sections (unless I'm missing something you to need the flying suit to progress past the fans anyway).  The suits are optional as they're tucked behind a mini boss, so don't miss the one with jet booster feet.  I managed to miss the first two completely because I didn't recognise the boss door as a door until level 3. I think I even tried jumping on top of one and wondered why I fell through the platform, facepalm. This is probably why I thought the second boss was a prick both times he showed up, but tbh I'm not that keen on optional pick ups that seem close to essential if you want to get through the game anyway.  

Overall it's good and would probably feel more impressive if it were a year or two older. Quite a few platformers had clout by 1992 though.  It suffers from comparisons to the first game but for an 8-bit action platformer it's still a strong effort.  Good graphics and impressive sound too, although unfortunately the tunes are no match for the first game either.  Cutscenes are fab and the plot has a lightness of human touch androids could only dream of.  It doesn't talk down to the audience and expects you to read between the beats.  Powerful storytelling, John Smith's style.  Spoiler alert: the president of the evil cyborg making company is an alien ('from outer space').

Tl,dr: play Power Blade.  If you want more Power Blade play Shatterhand, and rejoice.  If you still want more Power Blade play Batman. If you still want more Power Blade, play this and give yourself a pat on the back for being awesome.  81%

torch.png
  • 3. It Takes Two (PS5) - 24/1 - 14hrs
    Thoroughly enjoyable co-op game with some good platforming and co-oping and also a little competitive in places. Main characters were mostly annoying though and it felt a little long, but overall I recommend it to anyone looking for some easygoing fun co-op action.  
    [8]
  • Was an 8 for me initially, similar thoughts. Playing through with Tilly now - she's been fully briefed about the elephant in the room - and it feels closer to a 9 second time. Super game, pleased it seems to have done well.
  • Sneaking in just before the day is out, here's my week 3 update.

Suggestions for future thumbnails welcome.

+1 for the MS box art background at the end.
  • 14. Rise: Race to the Future - Switch (5-6hrs)

I sometimes watch a Youtube channel called SwitchUp, which is indie focused and does weekly deals round ups.  Right up my alley.  They recently championed this as one of the top racers on the console, while highlighting how much has been tinkered with under the bonnet since launch.  I hadn't even heard of it, and the £16 OG asking price doesn't scream quality for a racer (a genre that seems to set its digital prices via tombola anyway).  It's down to £8.88 this month and I can't seem to motivate myself with Forza Horizon 5, so here we are.

First up, the visuals need the spotlight for a moment.  I'm not a tech guy - framerates and big Dick Lead aside non-retro Digital Foundry leaves me cold for the most part (and perhaps a little icky too).  I've been around the block enough to know what's impressive though, and for a low price no-name indie racer this is straight fire.  It's hard to get a bead on where the Switch sits exactly, when compared to legacy big boy consoles in terms of grunt, but 'somewhere between an Xbox 360 and an Xbox One' seems near enough.  Modern racing games all look the same to me if you squint, but without squinting (and with my glasses on) I'd say this wouldn't have hit 60fps on an Xbox 360, certainly not as an indie release.  The game looks nifty - in a clean cut kind of way - but it's the performance that impresses most.  It takes a mild hit in handheld, but just a weak jab - it still mostly runs at 60ish.  Mostly.  If you want extra shinies there's even a graphics mode that runs at 30fps with water/bonnet reflections and other nonsense.  I had a quick look and it's neat enough but going from 60 to 30fps in a racer is a nope for me.

So what's the game like then?  Quite good and weirdly addictive.  The handling is very lightweight, which may be and insurmountable turn-off for some, but the more I played the more I enjoyed it.  Cars have a tendency to suffer from what I call Daytona CCE syndrome, where an invisible hand seems to lock your steering and drag the car towards the nearest wall at random intervals.  This should be a deal breaker, but the more I played the less it happened, and after completing the full set of Championship races I learned to adapt (never ever turn the wheel on uneven ground seems to be the answer).  I can't drive irl, so it's quite possible 'duh, just feather the brake and turn into the curve' could be the obvious riposte to the tractor beam issue.  I worked around it by going really slowly at certain points/timing my boosts instead.

Forza Horizon 5 is an astonishingly good looking game and the handling is fine, but the open world format diminishes some of the returns for me.  The courses tend to feel like someone had five minutes to run around placing cones on an orienteering field trip, rather than sucking a pencil while sat at a desk covered in blueprints.  These tracks feel like proper race game tracks for the most part - ones that I actually learned as I played, like in the olden days - rather than makeshift routes, and I welcome the retro racer feel.  I had fun battling with the podium pretenders too, if you're struggling to stay ahead of a certain driver bashing them into a spin so they drop back to 4th is a legit tactic.       

Negatives.  Much like Sonic Racing Transformed I never really warmed to the hovercraft sections.  Aside from the handling change it's often hard to tell where you're supposed to be heading if you're in first place.  Swing and a miss overall, but thankfully most courses don't have the expansive 'here's an ocean, deal with it' segments.  The music is sensationally awful too, especially the one that sounds like a cheap karaoke backing track for Chelsea Dagger.       

An overly long review for a game like this maybe, but I had more of a blast playing this than Cruis'n (which felt like a rails racer to me). A generous [8]. I couldn't put it down for two days.  One for Wario maybe.

10:22 here....

• [justify]Sounds good!  Love a Switch games that punches above its weight, and always looking for an arcade racer on Switch. I’d either forgotten about or never heard of this one.  Purchased; I’ll give it a go over the weekend.[/justify]
  • You don't have to justify your purchases to me m8.
  • LOL!
  • 15. The End is Nigh - Switch (3hrs)

Covered elsewhere, but I've made it through the main set of stages again.  Currently on the second of the dark world equivalents, which is where I left it near launch.  Will persevere this time, won't be aiming for 100% but I plan to get through the Aftermath stages.  Faultless platforming, probably top 10 ever for me on reappraisal. [10]

the-end-is-night.gif?ar=16%3A9&auto=format&fit=crop&q=65&w=720&nrs=40&fm=gif
  • 3hrs, wow, must be a short and easy game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!