Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Surely more of a case of how many towers the characters were asked to climb?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Feck.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rewatched Carlito's Way and I still think it holds up. Underrated in my book. Great 70s look and soundtrack and some great Pacino scenery eating. Marvellous support cast with Penn standing out and a great old chase scene at the end. The end credits are superb and never fail to squeeze a tear out of me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah I have a soft spot for that movie.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    16. Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

Don't really need to say anything. Fucking banger.

[9]
  • o/
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 5. A Good Day to Die Hard
    Pointless fifth instalment, as far removed from the OG trilogy as it gets. Willis has slipped into his straight to video career nadir at this point and phones in a facsimile John McClane performance, Jai Courtney adds frig all as Jack McClane. I'm only giving it a five as it's my fifth film of the year so far and the fifth and hopefully final DH. 5

6. Scream 3
    Disappointing second sequel sees Ghostface working his way through the cast of Stab 3 to draw out Sidney towards a flimsy and convoluted final reveal. Less memorable than the first two films. 6

7. Scream 4
    A long gap between sequels sees Sidney now a successful writer on a book tour, as Ghostface begins another murderous spree. A better sequel than 3, the horror genres influencing the themes have changed but the tenuous nature of the central plot has not. 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 1. Jungle Cruise
    Without the two leads, this would have been an awful, CGI-bloated shambles of a film. As it is, it's merely a serviceable family adventure with bloated CGI that somehow manages to be both impressive and shonky at the same time. 6

2. Wonder Woman 1984
    I watched the first 45 minutes of this last year but had to turn it off because it was so unutterably awful. Turned it on the other night and caught the last 45 minutes, which were almost as bad. I might watch the middle third at some point if I find myself in need of a reason to jam cutlery into my eyes and ears. Appalling shite.1

3. Miss Congeniality
    Great fun, Sandra Bullock is funny and looks amazing and Michael Caine and The Shat shamelessly ham it up. 7
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 5. The Rock
    Just the right amount of Bay. Dumb as a bag of rocks but fun all the same.
    For added fun pretend its a Bond sequel.
    [7]
  • 8. Intruder
    Apeshite nutjob retail wanker stalks and slices late night supermarket staff, including Raimi's Sam and Ted, in this not at all bad 1989 slasher. Clean up on aisle 4... and 7, 13, 21... 7
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Surely you're running out of slashers by now Webbo!
  • Shudder keeps on giving, Shabs!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Amityville Horror (1979)

I read the book on which this based in the late 70s in my early teens and it was a hair raising tale; particularly at the time because it was claimed by the author to be true and based on his own experiences. The book is hokum but gradually builds one weird event upon the other escalating the tension - some of the ideas were particularly unsettling - such as the pig that walked about on two legs and sat in the kid's room in a rocking chair that only the child could see but left hoofprints in the snow in the garden. The book in the right hands could become a rather taught horror story.

This film adaption is very loose. It starts off well enough and has a great cast. But it soon diverges from the book (which is fantastical in itself) and descends into a load of preposterous rubbish, which is a pity. The story soon loses focus and lurches about all over the place - raiding bits from other successful horror films of the 70s while it does so - but chucking them into the script with no structure. This may have entertained somewhat in '79 off the back of the book hype but even that is a stretch. I avoided this in the day because I heard it was bad. It's bad all right. Not worth it.

If a film overdoes the hokey old trope of mysteriously locked doors then this is it. It even has someone going back to the demon populated house to get the damn dog.......A load of old tosh.  And what a waste of a talent like Rod Steiger who is overacting to the max. I was barely paying attention in the last third.
  • Is that the Margot Kidder one? I haven't seen it since I was first allowed to rent from the horror section in Ritz (1992ish) but I remember thinking it was quite good. Not a patch on The Changeling, but a decent house horror.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is that the Margot Kidder one? I haven't seen it since I was first allowed to rent from the horror section in Ritz (1992ish) but I remember thinking it was quite good. Not a patch on The Changeling, but a decent house horror.

Aye. Kidder and James Brolin are the leads and there are good performances from them trying to get out. I had forgot how attractive Kidder was too.

It's a patchy film - it lurches from ridiculous sections to stuff that could be part of a good film. A real waste of an IP.

The Changling is a cracker - one of my favourites of that era.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Piggy's eyes in the window freaked me right out at the time.
  • Eternals
    The first Marvel film to be dull. Emotionless performances, flat imagery, and worst of all it takes itself way too seriously whilst tackling ridiculous themes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I enjoyed it enough, but then I was enjoying snooker earlier today, so probably best not to trust my Covid-impaired critical faculties.
  • Join us, snooker is the game of kings.
  • The sound of the balls hitting each other, hitting the back of the pocket then sinking into the net, the hushed tones of the commentators. Game. Of. Kings.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The weirdest part of it all was me sitting there thinking “go Trump!”
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Caught the end of the Wilson win. Enjoyed it.

I miss the occasional frame, haven't played since the pre-times. Might need to line something up.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Eternals
    The first Marvel film to be dull. Emotionless performances, flat imagery, and worst of all it takes itself way too seriously whilst tackling ridiculous themes.

Halfway through and it’s like Marvel have lost their confidence. The jokes are very tame and the characters are forgettable which is a crime in any film. It’s not dark like DC but it does feel extremely average like DC.

• acemuzzy wrote:
    Caught the end of the Wilson win. Enjoyed it.

I miss the occasional frame, haven't played since the pre-times. Might need to line something up.

I dislike Kyren Wilson not because of his absurd, made up first name, but because he always looks like he's about to burst into tears.
  • Kyren sounds like a bloody star wars character ffs
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I carefully avoided it and now look what you've done. Twice!
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Halfway through and it’s like Marvel have lost their confidence. The jokes are very tame and the characters are forgettable which is a crime in any film. It’s not dark like DC but it does feel extremely average like DC.

It’s not a good sign when you reach the end of the film realising you still don’t know the names of some of the central characters.
  • They're all called Geoff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!