52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • 147. Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon - Switch (6hrs 15mins)

Non comfort zone gaming.  Or more specifically, when a champion of my comfort zone decides it's side hustle time, up sticks and moonlights in a genre I don't particularly dig [:eyes:].  I'm a huge fan of all things Shovel Knight, so I would've been powerless to resist even if he'd relocated to a game called Clockwork Tower Defence or Craft & Survive: Dougless Edition.  Fortunately - after initially floundering for an hour or two - I ended up really enjoying it, which suggests to me that people who actually like screen filling gem match puzzle games might view this as something extra special, rather than 'surprisingly good'.  Bust a Move 2, Baku Baku Animal and Mr. Driller are the only jewel poppers/block arrangers that I've really latched onto over the years.  I know Tetris is an all-timer but I admire it more than I enjoy it.  Anyway, Pocket Dungeon reminded me of when a friend of mine told me there was a Watership Down themed band called Fall of Efrafa and sent me a load of pics of the lush dark rabbity artwork from a record store.  Then when I got it on the turntable it was part instrumental, part full-lung scream-rage post-hardcore 'crust metal', rather than the fetlocks blowing pipes of pan I was expecting/hoping for, and I was ever so sad.  Then I ended up liking it anyway.

Back to the game, it really is rather good.  It's impossible not to compare it to Crypt of the Necrodancer/Cadence of Hyrule, so I won't try, but it's a match 'n pop game at heart.  You'll get nowhere without focusing on arranging chains, which has always been where I struggle with the genre (no wonder I'm not a fan).  The Necrodancer influence is present in the way you attack enemy types from an adjacent tile to whittle down their health, but there's a designated HP trade off for hits here.  Unless it's the final hit a creature can withstand, in which case there's no tit for tat blow.  If an enemy is touching more of the same type they all receive the same amount of damage.  Couple this with the fact that time moves slower when you're standing still, then factor in the fact that a depleting gem multiplier presents a sense of urgency that encourages faster play.  Gems can be traded for trinkets to enhance various abilities in mid-stage shops.  If you survive long enough the level exit will appear, which must be unlocked with a key you've collected to pass through.  If you run out of health you die. If the screen fills up you die. Even when I got good enough to start finishing runs* it always felt like I was in a sort of controlled fluster, which is kind of the sweet spot for the whole thing. Thankfully, it's all hugely moreish and the characters you unlock as you progress spice things up nicely.  It's almost comparable to a vs fighter with how different each knight is to use, which is possibly the game's biggest achievement - it's genuinely impressive how such a tight game isn't ruined by switching up so many fundamental rules. Thus far Treasure Knight, Shovel Knight and Polar Knight have been my guys, but I think I'll be ready for Shield Knight and/or Propeller Knight soon, their idiosyncrasies seem particularly appealing.

It's a roguelike and a successful run will take around 30 minutes.  You can pay a toll to skip directly to unlocked areas, but amassing artifacts to beef you up stage by stage felt so essential to me that missing chunks struck me as a fool's errand.  Would I have played this without the cast of Shovellers? Definitely not, but I wouldn't have played Cadence of Hyrule without the Zelda trappings and couldn't stomach the thought of deck builders until Steamworld Quest offered me a familiar inn.  Happy to be that guy here, they've all helped me broaden my gaming horizons.  

It's a got a great look and the remixed tunes did the job for me.  The base camp gets a bit busy after a few hours but that's all part of the charm.  For £17.99 there's not an over-abundance of content.  If you're willing to master the full roster it could eat up 30+hrs no problem, but for anyone looking to dabble rather than immerse themselves in the pocket dungeon 30% off might be a better biting point.  Just over the line for an [8], would like to read opinions from badgers who appreciate the genre more than myself.  I haven't played the vs mode yet but I see no reason why it wouldn't be excellent for two players of similar skill.

potion-v2.gif

*Initially you choose permadeath, infinite or finite lives.  Regardless of your choice, if the screen fills up it's game over.  Permadeath wasn't for me, so I set the life stock to ten.  After 5hrs I never made it through the Clockwork Tower, even though I'd been reaching it on every run for ages, so started messing around with the accessibility options.  You can add things like extra damage or give yourself more hit points, but doing so disables the Feats (basically in-game achievements).  I had a couple of runs with extra damage but it felt too cheaty, so switched back and opted to slow the screen fill right down instead, giving me precious extra seconds to plan my moves.  So not quite scrub tier as Feats were still attainable, but the default settings kicked my arse for sure.
  • As others have said, get a blog going m8, I lold a couple of times reading that. Cracking stuff.
  • Cheers mate, this thread does me nicely as a bit of fun/massive obsession though.  Too many unknown eyeballs and I'd start to get all self-conscious and try to review them with a sensible hat on.
  • 37. Halo Infinite - ? Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

Straight to the top of Halo Campaigns for me, giving you both the intense indoor firefights but now a huge version of the second mission from CE, Halo. The Halo Combat Loop/30 seconds over and over never gets old, add in the awesome grapple combat features, just makes Halo combat its finest ever. You can say the ring isn’t hugely populated with a myriad of things but what’s there makes sense and more than makes it worth discovering, and if you don’t want to you can just go from one level to the next and have your normal Halo campaign mixed in with a tiny bit of travel from each starting point.

The weapons, vehicles, enemies are probably the best mix yet and whilst the AI doesn’t make that jump you’d always wish it would in a Halo game it’s the same as you see anywhere these days and it looks like there’s gonna have to be something out of the blue that drives it forward. Feels like there’s been no significant jump since the time of C.E or Fear.

Personally I loved the story, it’ll help I read all the books and love the universe but I didn’t think it was tough to follow or too weak to care about which I’ve heard a lot of.

The extra ‘RPG’ mechanics are a nice addition but really can again be ignored depending on how you wanna play it. I upgraded everything but only really used two of the additions, and now going through it on legendary maybe others will become invaluable but I’m not so sure. I like the additions though, searching for them and finding other secrets and bits and pieces scattered over the ring was aces too.

I loved the FOB’s, HVT’s and extra missions as they just opened the world too, offered some great weapon customisations which I then used exclusively and they added a little more narrative too.

Co-op would have been nice but considering it’ll be played for years there’ll always be reasons fo go back. Forge I’m not interested in anyway. And a level select in an open world? Is there many of those? I can understand peoples disappointment but maybe I’m lucky that I’m not that bothered, especially when the rest is that good.

Loved it. Absolutely loved it. My game of the year. And that’s saying a lot considering how fucking good Returnal is.
  • 61. White Shadows [7]
    A Limbo/Inside/Little Nightmares linear weird horror type experience, with more than a whiff of knockoff early on. But give it a chance and put up with some rough edges and it definitely forges its own identity. It helps that the black and white scenery is so impressive, and there's some great use of familiar classical music. But also by the second of its three hours the horrific reveals and playful twists start to land, with a few particularly memorable scenes. It still lacks the polish of those games up there, but for a B-tier genre-mate it's a solid effort, and just about scrapes that 7.
  • 62. Genesis Noir [6?]
    Abstract/surreal arty thing with a jazz soundtrack. There's a thread to follow of sorts, a murder mystery to piece together, which somehow weaves together with the history of the universe. It doesn't really matter anyway - mostly stuff happens and you click on things to make more stuff happen. The enjoyment of it is in seeing how the mouse has been put to use in wildly different scenarios - rotating the skyline, piecing together broken crockery - and the frustration is when you don't know what the hell it wants you to do so you just click and move about until the scene shifts to the next bit. What is uniformly great about it is the visual style and the camera work that goes with it. Worth it for that alone, almost, but overall I came away from it about as nonplussed as you are reading this.
  • One of the few indies I successfully ditched this year. Decided to watch a Youtube playthrough instead, then forgot.

Shining Force 2 - Megadrive/Switch (20hrs?)

Probably my favourite 16-bit single player game, I hadn't played it since selling my Megadrive to fund Saturn stuff. Occasional wayfinding oddities aside (characters rately bothered telling you anything twice in 1994) it stands up magnificently. The simple battle system had me locked in for the past fortnight, to the point where my customary Christmas Day nap was ruined by movement grids on my eyelids and booze-fuelled half-snooze images of my favourite characters snuffing it from second attacks by hyrdas. I'd forgotten how long this was, and expected to bash through it in 10hrs or so. Even with the fast forward button offered on the Megadrive Classics Collection - which I've no doubt I'll now miss on every other game for ages - it felt like I was playing for double that. I enjoy assembling a kick-ass crew in games, and I can't think of anything else that rivals this for getting the gang together feels (Mass Effect 2, maybe).

It could do with a few more tunes, levelling sometimes feels a wee bit off and the dialogue is lol, but it's as good as anything grid based from the 90s. The story is nonsense of course (it's a JRPG with a mute character, accidentally unsealed evil, TARDIS/Mary Poppins' bag style ancient caravans and possessed kings making out of character decisions), but at least it leans into the crazy. By the end the barmy has been promoted to BARON BONKERS, which is better than po-faced navel gazing in my book.

Replaying was one of the best decisions I made this year. A '94 96 and a 20/20 hindsight 2021 9.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    61. White Shadows [7]
    A Limbo/Inside/Little Nightmares linear weird horror type experience, with more than a whiff of knockoff early on. But give it a chance and put up with some rough edges and it definitely forges its own identity. It helps that the black and white scenery is so impressive, and there's some great use of familiar classical music. But also by the second of its three hours the horrific reveals and playful twists start to land, with a few particularly memorable scenes. It still lacks the polish of those games up there, but for a B-tier genre-mate it's a solid effort, and just about scrapes that 7.

Saw you post about this on the Twitters. Looks right up my street, will give it a yarr.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    One of the few indies I successfully ditched this year. Decided to watch a Youtube playthrough instead, then forgot.
    I could easily have ditched it early on. I think it was just about worthwhile carrying on in the end.
  • 148. Sparklite - Switch (6-7hrs)

Roguelike Zelda that arrived with something between a whimper and a bang a couple of years ago.  Reviews were pretty mixed yet it made its way onto my watch list anyway, because that's how I roll, and 75% off (£4.99) seemed like a now or never price.  It has a decent level of visual panache and the music is very good, but unfortunately it's all mouth and no trousers as the fundamental gameplay loop just trundles along the middle of the road.  Whenever you die the map rearranges itself, hence the roguelike part, meaning you'll lose some items and keep others for subsequent runs. Aspects of it are enjoyable to an extent but the grind is pretty tedious once you get going.  It's all about (sometimes literally) hoovering up sparklite - the titular gems you buy stuff with - as without regular upgrades everything eventually either hits you too hard or, far more annoyingly, takes too long to kill.  I made the mistake of making a beeline for the bosses as that's the element I was enjoying most, but guardian hopping left me woefully underpowered by the time I reached the final nasty, to the point where I had to double my playtime grinding just to stand a chance.  Even with decent upgrades I still had to wander around for ages before heading for the boss in order to stock up on healing items.  I've beaten him now, hence this review, but he can still fuck off. 

The main issue I have is that the combat is never good, it just seems to lazily straddle the line between passable and functional.  I blame the rocket boots boost - it doesn't cover enough ground and thanks to a delay after boosting isn't any quicker thank walking while exploring.  It's just not much fun to fight or explore, unfortunately, and there's nowt else to do.  The additional weapons seemed pointless past finding the odd chest here and there, plus it doesn't have the balls to offer DIY route planning as the guardians must be vanquished in order.  In some ways it's part A Link Between Worlds and part Cadence of Hyrule, it just fails to do much with the interesting things it pinches from both and ends up being a bit dull.  Not a bad game per se, just not quite worth playing.  

Doesn't read like [6] I'm sure, any lower seems harsh though.  For one reason or another playing this put a piece of music from Soleil in my head for the past few days, so it was all worth it.  

a8c7dfa6add5ec8b8db8f9b1ea2b772ed5088a9c.gif
  • 63. Slay the Spire
    I've played this as much as anything this year, so it may as well count. And since I beat the final boss for once this time, I'll call it a new completion. No need to say anymore. Everyone knows by now.
  • 149. Sonic the Hedgehog - Master System (36mins)

Inspired by the C64 port dynamiteReady linked to elsewhere (which I pointed out looks better than the MS version - it doesn't), I thought I'd smash through this on a quick no emeralds run.  Turns out I remembered where they all were as I zoomed past though, this was definitely one of my most played 8-bit games.  One of the easiest and shortest classic era Sonic releases but it's probably one of the best 'platformers' in a traditional sense - the waterfall sections in Jungle Zone control really well.  The music is excellent too, no dud tracks here, with noticeably faster tunes than the PAL version I played in the early 90s (the gameplay is also nippier).  Koshiro's Scrap Brain Zone is the best Sonic tune ever imo.

Labyrinth Zone is a bit too slow here (with troll bubbles that often refuse to appear in time), it's all over in a flash and iconic items like speedy boots are pretty rare, but this would still make my all-things-considered Sonic top 5.  Would be a major player on my personal all-time 'most important ports' list too; probably just behind Streetfighter II: Special Champion Edition.  90%

tumblr_o1kousAb7X1u6jjy9o1_400.gifv
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    63. Slay the Spire
    I've played this as much as anything this year, so it may as well count. And since I beat the final boss for once this time, I'll call it a new completion. No need to say anymore. Everyone knows by now.

I think I might still be playing Slay the Spire on my deathbed. It's the best game ever made, and I never tire of it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    19. The Matrix Awakens

A gorgeous little tech demo, and not much of a game. I'm a sucker for metatextual stuff so the opening got me pretty good. The car shoot out is some dumb on rails shenanigans and the city explore is gorgeous but ultimately a bit devoid of purpose. The whole thing is wrapped in a beautiful sheen though and as a teaser for the type of city wide generation that UE5 is promising to do easily it is incredibly impressive.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You can't claim a tech demo as one of ya 52 jesus reg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    20. Cruisn Blast

It was £20, it is dumb as hell and I've driven as a UFO and a dinosaur. It's a flimsy little driving game with the best song of the year attached to it, and it's an hour or two of knockabout fun. Not going to set the world on fire but glad I grabbed it and I'll jump back in every now and again for a quick race.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

Watch me
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've already claimed the Radiohead thing.
  • 64. Golf Club Wasteland [8]
    This always sounded like a great idea, and it turns out it was executed really well too. 2D golf around a post-apocalyptic Earth which has become a tourist curio for the super rich elite who legged it to Mars. The golfing is incredibly simple, while the holes get more complex as they fit around greater scenes of devastation. But it's all really a vehicle for the story anyway, which uses the world and an in-game radio station to take square aim at the likes of Musk and his fellow techno-capitalists. If anything, it's a bit too on the nose with some of the satire, but I'll forgive it that, and a slightly wonky putting game, because it nails the core concept so well. Plus the soundtrack is excellent.
  • I forgot that was this year, enjoyed it.
  • I didn't realise, but it was released on Android/iOS 3 years ago. Strange that it took so long to come to PC and consoles.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Pretty sure I claimed that Spider-Man VR thing a few years ago.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    GCW didn't even make my top 10 GOTY reckoning - I kinda enjoyed it but but enough.
    acemuzzy wrote:

Pretty sure I claimed that Spider-Man VR thing a few years ago.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Shameless.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Good analysis
  • 150. The Gunk - Xbox Series S (5-6hrs)

What constitutes a bad game, in the modern era?  It's a question I've been pondering since the first couple of hours of this, and I've decided it has enough unpolished turds under the duvet to classify.  To clarify, it doesn't really shit the bed massively at any one point; it relentlessly pebble craps itself from start to finish.    

My Image & Form credentials: I was late to the party with the Steamworld games, having owned the first one for a couple of years on PS+ before plucking up the courage to play it.  The procedurally generated environments put me off, along with the how low can you go shtick - I just didn't think I'd enjoy it.  As it turns out it helped me cut my teeth on the roguelike genre (lower those tomatoes genre nerds; the rogueness is so lite it probably doesn't really qualify, but it shares similarities with procgen perma-upgrade die-and-lose-swag games, and cracked the door open for me).  I played Heist next, which would probably be one of the first 25 on my teamsheet in Cinty's Top 100 thread.  There are deeper tactics on offer elsewhere, but aiming/lining up headshots never got old and it absolutely nailed what I'd probably refer to as arcade tactics. I rebought it on Switch for £2.69 but I'm too scared to play it with JoyCons. Steamworld Dig 2 was a highly agreeable [8] and Quest was a decent enough My First Deck Builder (oh look, I've already repeated myself loads in this review and contradicted myself with the order I played them, classic Moot).

So I'd been looking forward to The Gunk since it was announced.  Jon's review was a slap in the face, but other sources seemed to quite like it so although expectations were tempered I remained optimistic.  Unfortunately I disliked it more than most, and having made it to the credits I now think Mr. B's score was uncharacteristically generous.  There was literally nothing about it that felt any better than average for me, and quite a few aspects that were well below par - to the point where they would've been unimpressive over a decade ago.  Replace the okay visuals with anything from late era Oldbox to mid 360 gen and it could easily be a retro title in disguise.  Games that sprung to mind while playing were Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Beyond Good and Evil and Enslaved, but mainly in a 'this is worse than all of those' kind of way.  Granted, if this had been an OG Xbox game it would've been very good, but times have changed with 3D adventure games and the robustness of mustard has evolved alongside it - and this doesn't cut it.  Firstly, gunk clearing is dull and unfulfilling, somewhere between rummaging a finger around an empty nostril and trying to suck up a wet cornflake with a half blocked Henry.  Imagine Luigi's Mansion, but replace the cast of mischievous ghosts desperate to avoid capture with pulsating hemorrhoids that either sit still or float limply around a prescribed course.  Hoovering up the gunk piles is slooooow until you upgrade your equipment, then for the rest of the game it's just slow.  Controls are poor, mainly because it's stuck in the aforementioned generation straddling limbo.  It's painfully obvious this is I&F's first 3D game.  You'll get snagged on scenery, stuck in plants and slide awkwardly down rocks you shouldn't be climbing on.  'Combat' is genuinely awful too (especially trying to avoid the creatures that charge you later on) and everything from aiming projectiles to jumping on ledges just feels outdated and annoying.  Even the secrets are irritating.  Games like God of War (2018) did a great job of encouraging the player to search for hidden booty, this just made me grumble whenever I realised I wasn't on the critical path.  It also loads each area like a 360 game, presenting you with an image of your character running on the spot while the cogs turn.  I feel like I'm building up a head of steam here, plus it's more than a little unfair to compare it to AAA titles, so I'll stop after a couple more.  Even the Game Over announcement is pitiful as your character doesn't seem to die, the screen just abruptly fades to black with someone shouting Snaaake! whatever your name is.  Honestly, after the first 45 minutes (which weren't particularly good) I just wanted it to end.  The Columbo complaint: subtitles during action sequences is always a faux pas in my book.  What am I supposed to do, stand still and read translated alien dialogue or play the fucking game?

Jon mentioned Journey to the Savage Planet as a 'here's what planetary exploration should feel like' comparison in his review, which felt spot on - this is embarrassingly short of the competence on display there.  A huge disappointment and also a complete waste of my time. [4]

e0d569a8731d11943697cc2b08ad169114a8d928.gifv
  • On one hand it's a shame this isn't so good.

On the other, I'm not sure what the word is for when you're relieved a Gamepass game is a bit shit and you no longer feel obliged to play it, but I'm feeling that atm.  Can't wait to go home and uninstall it!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 'rummaging a finger around an empty nostril'

Utter disappointment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!