52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • I took it for a test drive this evening, so far so good. It's doesn't look much better to FH4 to me (1080p, 60fps on Series S), but that looked incredible too.

Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon

Non comfort zone gaming. Or more specifically, when a champion of my comfort zone decides it'd side hustle time, ups sticks and moonlights in a genre I don't particularly dig (:eyes:). I'm a huge fan of all things Shovel Knight, so I would've been powerless to resist even if he'd relocated to a game called Clockwork Tower Defence or Craft & Survive: Dougless Edition. Fortunately - after initially floundering for an hour or two - I ended up really enjoying it, which suggests to me that people who actually like screen filling gem match puzzle games might view this as something extra special, rather than 'surprisingly good'. Bust a Move 2, Baku Baku Animal and Mr. Driller are the only jewel poppers/block arrangers that I've really latched onto over the years. I know Tetris is an all-timer but I admire it more than I enjoy it. Anyway, Pocket Dungeon reminded me of when a friend of mine told me there was a Watership Down themed band called Fall of Efrafa and sent me a load of pics of the lush dark rabbity artwork from a record store. Then when I got it on the turntable it was part instrumental death metal, part devil screamo death metal, rather than the fetlocks blowing pipes of pan I was expecting/hoping for, and I was ever so sad. But then I ended up liking it anyway.

Back to the game, it really is rather good. It's Impossible not to compare it to Crypt of the Necrodancer/Cadence of Hyrule, so I won't try, but it's a match 'n pop game at heart. You'll get nowhere without focusing on arranging chains, which has always been where I struggle with the genre (no wonder I'm not a fan eh?). The Necromancer influence is present in the way you attack enemy types from an adjacent tile to whittle down their health, but there's a designated HP trade off for hits here. Unless it's the final hit a creature can withstand, in which case you don't catch a wallop in return. If an enemy is touching more of the same type they all receive the same amount of damage. Couple this with the fact that time moves slower when you're standing still, then factor in the fact that a depleting gem multiplier presents a sense of urgency that encourages faster play. If you survive long enough the level exit will appear, which must be unlocked with a key to pass through. If you run out of health you die. If the screen fills up you die. Even when I got good enough to finish a run* it always felt like I was in a sort of controlled fluster. Thankfully, it's hugely moreish and the characters you unock as you progress spice things up nicely. It's almost comparable to a vs fighter with how different each knight is to use, which is possibly the game's biggest achievement - it's hugely impressive how such a tight game isn't ruined by switching up so many fundamental rules. Thus far Treasure Knight, Shovel Knight and Polar Knight have been my guys, but I think I'll be ready for Shield Knight and/or Propeller Knight soon.

It's a roguelike and a successful run will take around 30 minutes. You can pay a toll to skip directly to unlocked areas, but the artifacts are so essential to me at my current skill level that doing so seemed like a fool's errand. Would I have played this without the cast of Shovellers? Definitely not, but I wouldn't have played Cadence of Hyrule without the Zelda trappings and couldn't stomach the thought of deck builders until Steamworld Quest offered me a familiar inn. Happy to be that guy here.

For £17.99 there's not an over-abundance of content. If you're willing to master the full roster it could eat up 30+hrs no problem, but for anyone looking to dabble rather than immerse themselves in the pocket dungeon 30% off might be a better biting point. [8]

Accessibility
  • 49: Forza Horizon 5 (PC) 8/10

This 'completed' means I've done all the big events (I think).  Obviously haven't done all the races and challenges, and will still pop in once a week or so to keep an eye on what's new.

Horizon is very reliably good at this point and they can probably put the game out on a new map every couple of years and I'd be fine with that.  Have to admit I was hoping for more though.  The racing is great, the variety of shit you get to go keeps things relatively fresh from race to race, even getting to races is really fun, going cross country with very few genuine obstacles in your path.

It looks pretty good but was hoping for more.  My computer had a fair bit too much shrubbery popping in and textures that were slow to load.  Pointy elbow stuff but still.  I'm not sure this is miles better than like FH3.  Even though this is a game about cars, aurally it is a bit pedestrian.  No new songs caught my attention and the story is mostly just good natured bland people being alright to each other for a bit too long and you can't skip it.  I think racing culture needs a brooding emo makeover I'm a bit sick of this happy good times bright party stuff

It's a good game just hoping for a little more.

• Yeah the bar's definitely really high.  I'm also at 1080p @60fps.  On a budget plasma screen from 2011, so I'm not exactly digital foundry level with my complaints.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 125. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - Xbox Series S (roughly 7hrs)

I briefly owned this on PS4, thinking I'd snaffled a bargain at £12.99, but binned it after an hour or so.  I've embraced easy modes in the interim though, so I thought I'd give it another bash as it's on Game Pass.  Turns out dying a lot was my main problem.  I'm happy to play Halo on Legendary (or at least I used to be, I expect I'll be less/more heroic for Infinite), but most other FPS games wind me up, chiefly because 'git gud' feels like it would be a waste of time as most of them don't play all that well, imho.  Once I nerfed the difficulty to Daddy, Can I Play?, with zero fucks given, I started to enjoy this a lot more.  Mechanically it gets a passing grade.  Shooting fleshy enemies always adds a +1 in my book, but the basics aren't much better or worse than the the majority of your modern era COD/Battlefield types.  Which means I found myself playing it as a campaign - and not skipping the cut scenes! - rather than a straight shooter punctuated by tedium.  The massively OTT cinematics are excellent.  I guess some would describe it as try-hard, but they'd be wrong - the quality is pretty high throughout.  It feels like a cross between Inglorious Basterds (one of Tarantino's lesser efforts for me) and the sort of never-heard-of-it graphic novels one of my mates often insists I read.  Even the 'that's unnecessary!' bits are necessary to keep the tone on a level, but I've no doubt the non shooty bits are Martmitey. 

Things I liked: The neat choice between abilities midway.  The heft of the power weapons.  The visuals (did previous gen games really look this good in 2017 or is the Series S doing something to it?  How the actual fuck is this available on Switch??). The brutal playfulness of your motley crew of Nazi hunters.  The boldness of certain storytelling choices.  The use of music.  The voice acting.  The mission where you're looking for a particular detached thing near the end.  The collectible records (not that I found many). 

Things I didn't like: The map (and the glitch that prevented it from opening without scrolling through tabs).  Dying - yep, even on the lowest difficulty one particular checkpoint took four or five attempts.  Having to press X on things to pick them up, and the fiddliness of selecting particular things you want from items strewn about.  I accidentally shouted PICK UP THE FUCKING ENIGMA CODE at least once.  The main weapons don't have a lot of personality - two seem overly similar and one of the pistols is shite.  It's absolutely not DOOM reboot territory in this respect.     

Things I can't decide if I liked or not: The between level base sections.  If wayfinding was less irritating I think they would've been fine.         

As an FPS it's a [6], but overall it's a strong [7] thanks to the huge amount of style points.  Was the first Wolfenstein I've played since the original and I guess I'm now on board for III when it arrives. 

wolfenstein_2_anya_pregnant_gif_by_bondgeek-dbqwjc7.gif
  • Pretty bang on review there!  Hate a shooter making you press buttons to pick up ammo, and I swear every level ended with 5 minutes of just walking around no idea where I was supposed to go, Spinal Tap backstage style.  But that story keeps you going, tremendous stuff.  If you’re gonna do this kind of story, go all in, and they certainly did that.
  • Yeah, I just love the world building to it.  The shooting is fine I guess but I just like the place they’ve taken it.  Small town Americana run by nazi overlords was fun!
  • I swear every level ended with 5 minutes of just walking around no idea where I was supposed to go, Spinal Tap backstage style.

Ha this is exactly what it's like.
  • 126. Rising Hell - Switch (3hrs)

Bitesize deep dive indie roguelike that does little to demand attention, considering the alternatives available, but has enough about it to warrant a look if you're after something cheap & twitchy.  It's an up the screen hack 'n slash, kinda like a less shooty flipped Downwell, where you collect currency from defeated enemies to pay for perks at various points en route to the top.  The levels have branching paths (you'll likely develop a preference for which stages to avoid), mini bosses and a big boss at the end.  Controls are okay, but it would have benefited from one or two more abilities.  A downward plunge wouldn't have gone amiss for a start.  It's all built around a Hellbreak move, a more powerful attack that's activated by timing your double jump within range of an enemy.  It's an odd choice and it almost works, but coupled with the damp squib dash it never quite feels like a joy to play.  Still, it had me on the hook until the credits rolled.  I was playing it on Retribution Mode, which grants you three lives instead of the standard one but slows the gifting of a certain item used for permanent upgrades (it had a name, but I can't be bothered to check - they look like purple diamonds).  My winning run came as soon as I upped the difficulty back to default, because it kept offering me tasty perks.  Roguelikes eh?  

It only has four levels and one of those is just a boss.  A victorious run takes around  20 minutes.  It's an okay game - there's a demo if anyone fancies a bash - but probably not worth your time unless a) you've exhausted all rogues and you demand more, or b) you're particularly keen on the idea of an ultra-light roguelike (or just love the whole demons and metal vibe - one glance at the gif tells you what it sounds like).  [6]

belezebeb-qxzxrmhu.gif
  • Yeah the bar's definitely really high.  I'm also at 1080p @60fps.  On a budget plasma screen from 2011, so I'm not exactly digital foundry level with my complaints.

Is it really 50hrs long if you're just going for the festival stuff?
  • No way, I’m not sure how to see the exact hours but I’d guess between 20 and 30 hours.  It felt about the same as the other Horizons.
  • 37. CoD Vanguard - 9 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox Series X

Another great CoD campaign that’s a big blockbuster movie you play through. Enjoy the CoD campaign every year but was a little wary of going back to face the Nazis as I prefer the modern/futuristic entries but this was a good one. Felt less heavy, serious and gritty and a little more positive and fun, though I doubt that’s really what a game based in and around WW2 should necessarily feel like, it made it more enjoyable…ok maybe that all sounds wrong today of all days in particular.

Anyway, campaign has you play as a few different characters as part of a Vanguard team. Throws in some nice if gimmicky ‘abilities’ for each of them which don’t really add much but with each character it chucks in a little history you might not know about which had me reading in to some elements to get a little more detail which is always nice, not just another beach landing or attack on Berlin.

Did nothing overtly new or special, just another great explosive campaign that looked and sounded absolutely gorgeous. A good 8.
  • 127. Super Crush KO - Switch (2.5hrs)

Very, very good wave based combat game from the makers of (the also superb) Graceful Explosion Machine.  It's another unknown EShop release that was given the nod on some sort of hidden gems list I found online (or possibly a Youtube roundup - I sometimes watch those too).  The closest comparisons are Guacamelee!, as Muzzy spotted when I started playing it, and the fast paced floating killstreakiness of ScourgeBringer.  It's an absolutely banging mix; miles better than the fight screens in Guac and far less demoralising than the painful-yet-brilliant SB.  

There are only 20 stages, including four (pitifully easy) bosses, but it's relentlessly enjoyable and there's plenty of scope for score chasing.  There aren't many games that balance their rules and player skills as expertly as this - it might look like a lolnope (I didn't even think it looked like it played particularly well from videos), but trust me the core gameplay loop is legit.  If you enjoy 2D action it's well worth spinning these plates.  It never felt like anything other than my fault when I got tagged - the player is always capable of being in complete control - and you could easily chuck words like balletic and kinetic at it without being wide of the mark.  

Yes, it's gaudy looking low budget indie side scroller about a sassy gal in a big jacket who's trying to rescue a kidnapped cat called Chubbz, but if you're willing to dive in you'll find a brief yet masterfully executed pure arcade experience.  This is (one of the many reasons why) why I deep dive the digital stores.  [8]

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    16. Unpacking

A remarkable little game that tells a hugely personal story with no on screen characters. I know what has happened in our protagonist's life to the t and know what struggles she has faced, and all I have done it move boxes and objects. Shout out to the best pig in gaming, which also gives one of the best moments in gaming.

What an amazing game. And the chip tune soundtrack is just chef's kiss.
  • 50: Grand Theft Auto V (PC) 9/10

I started playing this so I wouldn't be tempted to buy the GTA Trilogy for Switch until it came down in price.  It sounds like Rockstar looked after me though and made sure I wouldn't buy the trilogy by making it be a bit rubbish.  Anyway 5 holds up perfectly well*.  Much like Max Payne 3 it still looks and runs really well on PC.  It didn't look dated even though I played it before and after Forza Horizon 5.  The shooting is okay, the driving is good.  I wish there was more stuff to do in the water; the ocean swell is really impressive and the diving stuff works well.

The story is all over the place.  Really enjoyed Trevor.  I'm not sure why I find him so likable given he is mostly a vile piece of shit but I played as him whenever possible.  Compared to RDR2 this game doesn't want to make me hang out in its world; it's very well put together but I find a modern city and its outskirts less interesting than the wild west.  I did like cruising around listening to The Highwaymen though, and the story missions are regularly pretty damn good, the heists especially.  Thankfully you can skip bits if you fail too often, which is handy when you have to fly a helicopter under a bridge or some shit.
  • 128. Journey of the Broken Circle - Switch (2hrs)

Reasonably well reviewed narrative platformer about 'love, life and existentialism'.  Nabbed it for 89p as I don't mind this sort of thing on occasion, but it doesn't really do much right.  15 years ago this might've been worth 400 points, but in the modern landscape it's a lukewarm offering at best.  You mostly roll from left to right, occasionally linking up with travelling companions that alter the mechanics while suffering not-particularly-good dialogue, replete with numerous grammatical errors.  It leans into the chinstrokes but it's not much deeper than your average Facebook inspirational image.  Not awful, but it might as well be.  [5]

R.62a35862bd4521f39e2ebe05e50d0a8a?rik=1H%2f1gZVUguzarg&riu=http%3a%2f%2flovablehatcult.dk%2fimg%2fowl_convo.gif&ehk=ufCIyvYmBr%2fRpT%2bLZKqGpcYU%2fRFMIJc6v5QdTe86pVE%3d&risl=1&pid=ImgRaw&r=0
  • Tilly's review:

I thought that it was a beautiful game.  The circle is a bit of a bully.  He kept saying 'no, carry on with me' when the other guy wanted to stop.  The game is really adventurous.  My favourite part was being speedy near the end.  I give it 7/10.

Disclaimer: She gave it 1/10 last night and said it was the worst game ever, mostly due to the ending admittedly, but I guess she slept on it and changed her mind.
  • 129. Downwell - Switch (5-6hrs)

I had some holiday to use up before the end of the year so I've got the whole week off (also 'cos I was 40 on Monday).  It took me ages to select a 'holiday game' - Forza Horizon 5 is nice, but not particularly addictive.  Project Wingman was bizarrely addictive but fuck that game (please add checkpoints).  Yakuza: Like a Dragon got deleted almost immediately as I need real time brawling if I'm Yakladding.  Psychonauts 2 still feels a little like a 6 masquerading as an 8.  I've started Unsighted and Death's Gambit, enjoying both but not in the mood for either. TL,DR: I just played Downwell, for hours, and I'm glad I did.

A very simple down the screen roguelike with 5 stages that have to be beaten with a single life.  I nearly completed it after about an hour, and then spent another four or five trying to replicate the near-perfect run.  Turns out I was agnonisingly close.  I'm actually glad I didn't beat it early on as it would've been a fluke and I probably would've stopped playing.  I thought I'd completed this on Vita but I don't even remember level three so ummm, I guess I didn't.  Anyway, it's brilliant.  The only things I can fault it for are occasionally annoying stomp hit detection and a slight feeling of risk not being worth the reward with combos.  In fact, combo seeking is probably what set me back four hours in the first place - it's just so difficult to wean yourself off it once you've worked out the milestones, partly because chaining bounces is so much fun.  

Along with Hades and ScourgeBringer this is probably my favourite roguelike (with Flinthook not quite worthy of consideration but close behind nonetheless, and the SOR4 DLC in the mix for a runner up spot).  Was massively chuffed when the final boss fell.  Terrific undocked with the FlipGrip too. [9]

Downwell-01.gif
  • 29. Ridge Racer Type 4 (PS) - 2hrs

One of my all time favourite PlayStation games, played it to death back in the day.

This has some of the very best graphics on the system, seeing this next to the original 1995 release is incredible. The PS was one of the systems with the biggest improvements throughout its lifespan imo.

Also, what is it about those old Namco intros? I was never one for CGI intros back then, but even to this day everytime I boot this up I watch it to the end. Definitely up there with the best from the era.

The soundtrack is absolute gold too, one of the best for any racing game for me.

This used to be a stone cold 10/10, but despite being an amazing PS game, that era has aged worse than most. It might not have had the impact of the original, and running at 30fps makes it feel a bit sluggish compared to the later entries, but this will always hold a special spot in my top arcade racers list.

9/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Is that the one with the neat blur on the brake lights? If so it's the only RR I've played for more than a lap or two, was very good.
  • That's the one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Absolutely cracking game, that.
  • Hell yeah, scrubs up real nice on the Vita as well.  I remember kids in high school trying to tell me Gran Turismo had better graphics back in the day.  Madness.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    DOWNWELL YEA
  • 130. SLUDGE LIFE - Switch (2-3hrs)

AKA the answer to the question 'What do you get if you cross Jet Set Radio with a walking sim, add rudimentary first person platforming, teleport it back to 1999 via 1984 armed with self-awareness but oh noes! a Thug Life vid (playing something like Blackalicious or The Pharcyde rather than Snoop at the freeze point) sneaks into the time displacement equipment?'  

I pretty much guarantee this is unlike anything you've ever played.  A distant cousin of Jumping Flash and Outer Wilds perhaps, but the spider diagram is [the opposite of itsy bitsy].  Published by Devolver - literally the only publisher whose games I will automatically buy, as boy they've earned it - it's the sort of experience that can be accurately described with words adults mustn't use, like chill and vibin'.  It has a chillaxed vibe, and gives zero fucks daddio.  

The whole thing is over in a couple of hours - less if you stumble on one of the three endings earlier - and rather than write a load of bunk about how much games should cost (trust me, as an uncool cat I'm tempted) I'll recommend it at any price.  Currently 30% off though, FYI, so less than a tenner for one of the wildest rides of your gaming life.  

I don't want to describe too much as it tells you nothing when you start - it just shoves you out the door with a spraycan in your backpack.  Heavy recommendation to @afgavinstan, possibly @regmcfly and @yourfavouriteuncle too.  Someone play it pls!  The platforming is clumsy, especially with my misbehaving Switch sticks, but falling to your death is a minor inconvenience unless you're going on a hundo hunt.

Barmy, amusing and and definitely one of the peak power cards in curio Top Trumps.  I loved it and finished in one sitting.  [8] 

geigl94ucsgtxlj7xsxu.gif
  • A trailer, because it doesn't give much away:

The humour isn't as crude as this suggests either, please understand.
  • I’m on that. Just looks like my side of curio.
  • 131. Boomerang X - Switch (3-4hrs)

Moar Devolver.  This one landed an [8] in Edge iirc, one of the reasons why it's been on the watch list for a while (40% off atm).  It's a gravity defying first person arena shooter with one weapon and a handful of supplemental abilities.  Part Gravity Rush, part Otogi (on speed, obvs), it struts its feet-off-ground stuff admirably until an unexpected difficulty spike brings it back down to earth.  It's pretty impressive for an FPS to successfully transplant what feels like it should be a 2D game into three dimensions - for the most part the gameplay is very good - but the missteps damage it significantly.  Landing on the health regen zones is cumbersome at best and the button mapping isn't ideal for the boomerang recall.  I got hand cramps playing it with an over-reliance on the bullet time ability (ZL), and pressing L in tandem just felt finicky.  It's a shame the devs didn't have the guts to keep it breezy until the end, Olija style, as the sudden brick wall it hits you with makes the whole thing smack of difficulty mismanagement.  

It feels great for ages, I just can't forgive the last two checkpoints taking me just as long as everything that preceded them.  I expect resistance in games like this of course, but it has to feel right when they kick you in the teeth, and unfortunately this doesn't. Earns brownie points for keeping the visuals neat and tidy in order to keep it all running smoothly.  I did experience numerous freezes, but I have to assume that's just my over-worked Switch now as it's happening with so many games that don't appear to have issues based on feedback online.

In summary, it's a mostly well executed idea that feels like a missed opportunity as it's tantalisingly close to being much better than it is.  Was on course for the [8] for a while, then large oof'd itself down to a heavy-hearted [6]

boomerang-x.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!