52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • 94. WarioWare: Get it Together! - Switch (2hrs)

Enjoyable co-op focused WarioWare that doesn't recapture the glory days of the series but manages to make its character switching two player gimmick feel worthwhile.  Last time I checked the original was still in my top 10 in Cinty's top 100 thread and I'd learned not to expect anything close from the series since (Twisted was great though), but the demo for this was STRONG.  The finished article is fun - they always are - unfortunately there's not enough flesh on the bones for a £40 console release, even with the smattering of side salad modes.  

It's a series that always felt at home on a handheld console for me.  Granted, the Switch doubles as a handheld, but the focus is on the mp here which means big screen gaming (or tiny screen rooftop party play, I guess).  It definitely feels like a step up from WarioWare Gold, so I'll give it the Orbulon Award compared to post GBA WarioWare titles.  With a little more love this could've been excellent. [7]  

For reference it's a Tilly [10]
  • 95. Chasm - Switch (7hrs 44mins)

Basic but interesting randomly generated Metroidvania that leans heavily into its 'vania side.  It's not a rogue, although it is possible to play it on mortal mode (in which case I guess it is), but each quest will be different as new save files generate new seeds.  It's a neat trick on paper, as my playthrough felt pretty robust, but it's also a bit pointless for such a long game.  I'm sure there are some players who will see the end and decide they'd like nothing more than more of the same but slightly different, but with so many other games demanding attention the procgen schtick falls a wee bit flat.  If it built you a 2.5hr Metroidvania with these mechanics, sure, I can see the appeal of multiple adventures, but as it stands the dangling carrot just feels like...more carrot after an ample helping of carrot.  

Thanks to a recent patch there's an arcade mode now, which sounds interesting as it randomises on the fly if you leave a room, but after spending so long on the main quest I doubt I'll try it.  Fundamentally this is a solid and enjoyable Symphony of the Night clone, presented in strong a 16-bit style.  The platform hack 'n slash stuff is fairly basic - which I expect is what you'll be wanting if the gif appeals, the rhythm of the combat feels good and the simplistic enemy patterns work well.  Plus the zones are knitted together pretty well in terms of backtracking/exploration with new abilities. It's a good game, but also a curious one.  [7]    

8fcfcaaa1c7f9aed16014698bfb088d0e5293ab3.gif
  • 41. Eastward [6]
    This was so nearly a kind of dream game for me. A 90s style action RPG with gorgeous pixel art, a great duo of central characters and some neatly designed dungeons. A heady mix of Earthbound, Secret of Mana and A Link to the Past, but with a style and heart of its own. If only they'd resisted the temptation to go big with the story. I found it to be overwritten, with some tortured humour, and so bloated with dialogue that it slowed the pace right down. 15 hours instead of over 20, and it would have been amazing.

42. Lost in Random [6]
    The opposite problem. Lost in Random is a dark fairy tale with obvious Tim Burton aspirations that's actually pretty well written. The premise of a kingdom where social status is decided by the roll of a die is a good start, each of the six districts is distinctive, and there are some decent characters. It's all a bit bland in the playing, however. The bulk of it comes down to combat, which is real-time but involves stopping the action to throw a die and play cards. It's too slow in practice, and doesn't have the challenge or variety to last the distance. Which leaves the exploration and conversation side of things, and they're too limited to count for much either.

43. Deathloop [9]
    Dishonored but groovy. Deathloop strips out a lot of the fussy complexities of Arkane's previous games and that makes it more fun. You don't have to worry so much about stealth going awry, the music is funky, and kicking one of its dumb enemies off a ledge never gets old. Nor does it come with moral implications, because he'll be there again tomorrow, and that encourages mischief. Good enough, but get into the meat of the game and it reveals hidden layers in its repeating locations that surprise you whenever you think you've got the measure of them. The loop structure is used masterfully, coaxing you to learn, discover and hone your routes organically as you power up and seek out different objectives. Plus there's a solid investigation game beneath the mayhem, and some great characters and writing. Perhaps there's a little too much repetition, even if that's the point, and some minor AI quibbles. But it's hard to fault in any substantial way.
  • I fancied Eastward but I've read a handful of reviews, including this one, and it's been relegated to the sales watch zone.
  • Most reviews are more positive than mine. But they still tend to mention the length and pacing as an issue. I guess it bothered me more.
  • It's a big thing for me too, hate games that outstay their welcome.

102. The Mighty Goose - Xbox Series S (<2hrs)

What the fuck even is this?  It's such a bizarre game.  It's clearly gunning for the description 'Metal Slug clone' but it's absolutely all over the place.  Anyone with Game Pass who for whatever reason doesn't fancy actually playing it after this review should download it (450mb) and check out a) the walking animation and b) the disgustingly flimsy jump.  Focusing on the walking animation for a sec: it's pure Poundland.  There are less frames involved than you'd expect from an 8-bit Badnik.  Dynamite Dux had more going on, I just checked.  It's ridiculous!  The rest of it looks like a half decent run 'n gun in a chunky GBA style, but that character, wow.

The shooting itself is quite fun and the levels are agreeably short with mostly reasonable boss fights at the end.  You gradually unlock perks you can assign (a limited number at a time) and companions with various uses, but the whole thing is such a pushover there didn't seem much need to experiment.  The screen is often too cluttered to demand any sort of finesse, and with four hits before your goose is literally cooked and seemingly random full health drops from defeated foes muddling through wasn't much of a problem.  Even the bosses that attempted to put up a fight fell after one or two attempts thanks to the poorly balanced item drops - at once point there were five full health regens on screen, which remain in place until they're collected, negating all challenge.  I only bothered to use the machine gun drop guy, who was the second unlock in the game iirc, and it's obvious at a glance which perks will prove useful.  

It's not terrible, it's just weird.  There are worse modern shooters around - I know this because I've played some - but it's pure passes the time Game Pass fodder.  In old money it's not even one to rent, unless the game you wanted was missing from the drawers. [5]

One last moan.  It has a roll move, which of course offers a split second of invulnerability, but you can't roll through tunnels from a standing start.  There are two or three tunnels in the game that you have to roll through, but you have to duck first.  Even though the roll animation is identical.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think others loved Warioware more than me. I missed unlocking the little toys so much.
  • 96. SturmFront: The Alien War Übel Edition - Switch (1hr)

Ultra basic twin stick shooter with big Amiga meets Neo Geo energy.  It's an absolute hoot, although objectively speaking it's not very good.  I nabbed it for £4.49, which is half price, but it's got no business being over three quid really.  I blame the fact that Xbox Live was down.  It's very devil horns metal, with a power chords chug-a-chug soundtrack, throaty sampled speech for pick-ups and long-hair-til-I-die dev photos during the credits.   It's also kinda wonky as the bullet hell thing gets a bit silly towards the end considering how immobile your character is, but it scores big on the dumb fun scale.  Think Mercs meets Alien Storm (aesthetically at least - feel free to replace with Syndrome) and you're most of the way there. The button layout screen says it all really - even with sixteen buttons available the complete list of inputs is move, flamethrower and shoot.  I just about scraped through on normal difficulty and enjoyed myself but I'll never play it again.  Loses a point for the absolutely ridiculous lack of co-op.  Heads deserve a wobbling whether they're banging or not. [4]

?imw=268&imh=268&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=true
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    95? You should get out more m8
  • When did you come out?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 44. Death's Door [8]
    It probably doesn't help that I played this in three chunks over a period of months, but in the end I don't think it was quite as brilliant as I thought early on. It doesn't really push beyond its initial quality into anything truly original or extraordinary. That's understandable for a game made by such a small studio, though, and it's still a real achievement that they've got the fundamentals so spot on. The level design is pleasingly intricate, combat is tight, and it's immaculately presented and full of character.
  • 45. Biomutant [4]
    I finished this back in May, but looks like I forgot to add it to the list. It is pretty forgettable, to be fair. It's basically a testament to overambition. A small team trying to make a fully featured open-world adventure and failing to fill it with anything interesting. It does have a certain character, and there's a lot of it. But combat is clumsy and poorly balanced. All the dungeons and hidden areas are bland. And the morality system - which the narrator never stops reminding you of - makes no sense and feels inconsequential. This is a game where you can free someone from a cage, then decide whether to let them run along or punch them in the face. And it's impossible to care either way.
  • 97. Flynn: Son of Crimson - Xbox Series S (7hrs)

Outstanding 2D action game that recently swaggered onto my radar like a Vince McMahon gif.  I spotted it in the coming soon section of the Eshop and banged it straight on my wishlist, hoping it lived up to the promise of trailer but assuming it wouldn't.  A fortnight later it was confirmed for Game Pass for day one, and I was in like someone who wasn't out (who happened to be called Flynn).  I've hammered it since Friday - setting an old telly up in the bedroom to play, as my loft room is out of action - and can confirm that it's one of the very best examples of the ultra specific new game done in the old way wave.  I even hunted down all of the secrets and maxed out the mercilessly simplistic ability tree, which is something I almost literally never bother to do.  There's not an ounce of fat on it, as they say, and it's more than content with being a clever little platformer that adds neat variations/twists from stage to stage.  It's not a 'vania per se, but you will revisit certain areas once abilities are unlocked.  There's very little exploration required for main quest; think Quackshot rather than Hollow Knight.  Numerous stages have hidden exits though, easily identifiable from the SMB3 style map screen, and there's a decent amount of off-piste adventuring to do.  While I'm referencing old games, this has at least some of the following patches sewn onto its sleeves: the Wonderboy sequels, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Donkey Kong Country, Astro Boy: Omega Factor and MS Asterix.  I could break it down and explain how, but that's less fun than spunking out a list of old games and ploughing straight into the next sentence.  As a warning of sorts though (or a temptation, depending on taste), it doesn't just look to the past for inspiration, the whole experience is firmly rooted in The Olden Days.  You can't backtrack within the levels and must progress if you wish to return.  Checkpointing can be harsh.  There are forced scrolling stages.  It has swimming sections, ice stages, forest stages and mines to visit.  You can't run and there's no double jump, so it's a steady-as-you-go jumpmans rather than the pinging and flinging free-flow of something like Ori.  Most importantly, for what it is it feels absolutely spot on.

It also has good fight system with a stun meter and invincibility dodge.  Enemy types are reused ad infinitum, but that goes with the territory.  Combat isn't necessarily as deep as it first appears, and mostly boils down to getting a few hits in before picking your spot to roll behind an opponent to avoid an attack, but it is flexible and fluid - it won't let you down in the occasional wave based segments.  It's good fun, with a decent rhythm, and miles better than most of the retro titles it draws from.  See gif below for confirmation.  The cutscene panels are laughably poor but the standard stage graphics are divine.  Music is a'ight too, with a smattering of highs, a few middling efforts and very few actual duds.  

An irrefutable [9] for me, but it's like my Weird Science game so most players could take a point off.  I mentioned this elsewhere but it really feels like an ultimate form Gameboy Advance game.  Game of the year so far, a stunningly executed vision.   YMMV but Monkey, Nina, Eric and possibly NickMD should take a little look. 

[BASICS]-Flynn-Dex.gif?t=1553038505

juggling.gif?w=696&ssl=1
  • Does it have a downward plunge tho?
  • I’ll have a bit of that at some point.
  • 38: Letter Quest Remastered (Switch) 8/10

This is a very easy game to play while you are half watching television.  It is like one of those matching gem RPG games, but in this case you have to make up words to hurt your enemies.  It's mostly just making up words from 15 letters.  There is a bit of strategy - sometimes you can't use an E, sometimes a letter is poisoned and will hurt you.  Sometimes you have a time limit.  Everything is clear and fair.  It's not that remarkable and looks a bit cheap, mostly because it is cheap.  This game does not need a review beyond 'it's pretty much like you would assume'.

39: Crash Bandicoot 4 (PS5) 8/10

This is quite a good throwback to 32 bit platform games, back before the right analogue stick was a vital camera thingy.  I don't have much experience with Crash.  It controls a bit how the old Tomb Raiders used to, where even though it's 3D everything feels like it's on a grid and there's no doubting whether you can make a jump.  It mostly feels fair.

It's very hard but also generous with it's check points.  That said some checkpoints are more generous than others.  It's a bit uneven.  Like I will die a bunch of times on 1 really long section, then cruise through the next bit.

Aside from jumping you get a few different powers from time to time.  My initial thought was they each made the game slightly less fun, but probably do a good job of helping to mix things up so you don't get sick of it.  You also sometimes get to play as other characters, like a scary, Deviant Art looking bandicoot with a giant ass (if she was an echidna she could have been called PAWGupine).  You can also do like time trials and shit like that and unlock new outfits.

I did get a bit sick of it towards the end and didn't think it was fun enough to wring out all those challenges.  Let's be honest, I'm not good enough to 100% it in any case.  Nice looking and pretty fun game though.  Fine stuff.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I'm not keen on the Crash games but I've got my eye on no.4 for when the price is right, read some good things.
  • Only experience is a few levels of Playstation Classics Crash 1 on Vita, and the Switch trilogy.  Thought they were pretty janky and didn't get much out of them.  4 is really polished though; reckon you'll get something out of it.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it's super cheap like the other PS4 exclusives.
  • I remember sulking that (the then import only) Mario 64 was clearly better than NiGHTS but being pretty chuffed when I played Crash on my mate's Playstation because it wasn't even in the running.  Wooden spoon in the console mascot match up of '96.
  • I too want to play Crash 4.  My only experience of any of the others is being glad I’d chosen the N64 and then sitting on the sofa in U4.  They’ve never appealed but the newest one looks sweet - i just never seem to get the timing right on when I’m interested and when it’s in a PSN sale.
  • Haha

We went from SNES to Saturn so there was a fair bit of backtracking from me in high school.  Forget that Zelda bullshit.  Just wait til Burning Rangers comes out.
  • I too want to play Crash 4.  My only experience of any of the others is being glad I’d chosen the N64 and then sitting on the sofa in U4.  They’ve never appealed but the newest one looks sweet - i just never seem to get the timing right on when I’m interested and when it’s in a PSN sale.

That U4 bit was top shelf.

EDIT

Not sure if this suddenly works out to be like a 1000 dollars with international shipping, but this is where I got it from

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/ps4/259911-crash-bandicoot-4-its-about-time

Balan Wonderworld is still too expensive @ 6.38 GBP

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/ps4/267813-balan-wonderworld
  • Imagine how much Balan Wonderworld would've appealed as an import only Saturn game in 1998.
  • 10. Rive (PS4)

Went back to this after having bought it a couple of years back, currently ill so wanted something fairly easy to play whilst on the sofa under a blanket. It's... fine. I picked things up on mission 5 and can't really remember the start of the game, so I guess this is an appraisal of the back-half.

Things I liked:

- The shooting - they've got a pretty satisfying twin stick shooty going on here and the popcorn enemies get dispatched satisfyingly quick.

- The mobility - felt nice to move around, double jump. Decent weight and feel to the main unit.

- The length - no mission outstayed its welcome at all, whipped along at a fair pace.

- Variety - nice mix of bnb shooting, Gradius style space shooting, Cybernator free-move space shooting, underwater sections. Pretty nice feel of variety from mission to mission.

Things I didn't like:

- The script / humour - just did not land with me at all, full of meta videogame references that fell totally flat for me. The game actually loses a point because of this.

- Deaths - felt too punishing in places, some things insta-kill, some things don't, not always obvious. My respawn point on one mission was directly in line of a speeding train, could not escape, had to restart.

- Jacking - never really felt satisfactory or necessary for the game, a superfluous mechanic.

- Purple slash mark - one enemy, when hitting you, causes a huge purple/pink slash mark to appear on the screen. No other enemy does this, why does this enemy? Why does their attack leave a mark on the camera? Boggles the mind.

- The script / humour - just has to be said again, found it very cringey.

I enjoyed my time with it, although I was ready to be done and dusted by the time I was on the final mission. I'll give it a decent effort but falling short of a solid recommendation 6.5 - if it's cheap in a sale and you fancy an easy-to-pick-up blast, it may be worth a punt.
  • Bedrudingly agree with the hacking, it's not great. Humour/script was ignorable for me, some of it was okay.

I reckon you've dragged the B&B Metacritic average down to a [7].
  • I agree with all those cons but the shooty bang bang stuff was so good, I forgive it almost anything.

The humour is inexcusably bad. If you can’t ignore it like me and moot, I can see how that might be a deal breaker.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!