52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • 30.12 Minutes - 5 Hours - 5/10 - Xbox Series X

Really tough one this as there was so much that could’ve been done better and it simply wasn’t intuitive in any sense but I still got a little enjoyment from it and I didn’t hate the story like many others.

Not a fan of the point and click style and really didn’t think it needed to be implemented here, and with the need for quickly achieving things when the loops get busy it’s easy to slip and miss opportunities with said controls. The story and loops whilst interesting are a little daft and are very difficult to work out without a guide as it doesn’t feel natural to guess or attempt the next steps. The only celeb voice addition that’s worthy is Dafoe as the other two I would never have guessed in a million years. But, it’s a little different, it’s a little odd, it’s interesting, has a lot of odd but fun layers to laugh at, and again it’s part of Gamepass and feels like another thing I’d have missed out on entirely had it not been for the service.

All in all it was an interesting if flawed way to spend a few hours.
  • 33: Peggle (PC) 8/10

This hit the spot after not getting along with Arkanoid DS.  A little bit of terror when I thought to myself 'is it too soon to replay this game?', then realised it had been 13 years since I played it.

This game is remembered by me as being the cute casual game that melted the icy hearts of hardcore gamers with its relentless charm.  That charm holds up!  It turns out that all the rainbows, unicorns telling you you're awesome and Ode To Joy zoom in win celebrations never got old.  The only old thing about it is the 640 x 480 resolution.  I wonder if there's an alternate timeline where games like this blew up big on the phone and the match 3 microtransaction games never took off?

34: Saints Row 3 (PS5) 6/10

This game starts out quite strong but the longer it goes the less ideas it seems to come up with.  It's telling that almost everything I remember about the game comes from the opening couple of hours.  There's not much interesting to say about it's shooting and driving; it all works but doesn't do either particularly well.  Surprisingly the aircraft are still fun to fly around in but it's more wondering what whacky dialogue will happen in each mission that kept me coming back, rather than actually enjoying playing the game.

The humour is sometimes good but this did come out a decade ago and it's edgy 00s jokes don't always land.  I think it's heart's in the right place.  I think some of my cringes come from the fact I absolutely was cracking the same kind of jokes back in the day.  I'm not sure the story made much sense even in the context of such a silly game.  I think they used the sillyness as an excuse to wave off the bits that didn't make sense.  They could have done better.  

Word of warning as this game went on it turned into a Cyberpunk 2077 tribute as it crashed my playstation no less than 6 times.  One of the main baddies' face glitched out as well with a weird colourless pixelated texture covering it, and it stayed that way all through the game.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 90. Roundguard - Switch (2hrs)

Replayed Peggle and still want more Peggle?  This might be the jam you need.  It turns the basics into a roguelike and although some of the systems are a wee bit slapdash it absolutely works for the most part.  Instead of clearing coloured pegs you need to kill enemies to clear screens, but there's an HP trade-off as you'll trade hits for specific amount.  Which means healing perks and health potions are a major strategy consideration.  Your character levels up as you progress, and - as expected given the sub-genre - most things reset when you die.  There's a mana bar too, with some interesting character specific special moves, plus plenty of trinkets/perks to get to grips with.  You'll be route planning through three areas with the aid of a map (we're talking three routes max at the bottom of each screen), all of which end with a boss, and it's a lot less budget than a quick glance would suggest.  I've managed to bumble through with the Warrior character, but the Rogue class is far more interesting thanks to a double jump special (fire once, slow time, select trajectory with the stick, dash attack).  I've only had a couple of runs with her so far and it seems to give the whole thing a leg-up into the [8] zone.  Will be playing more of this for sure, Mrs. Moot reckons she's got what it takes to beat my score.  My only real complaint is how long a successful run takes, but you can save & quit so it's not a big deal.  Not as good as Peggle 2, but unexpectedly legit and currently FIVE POUNDS.

RoundguardGIFroguebasic.gif
  • 91. Rive: Ultimate Edition - Switch (<2hrs)

*Dusts off broken record*

Here I go again.  I'll keep it short this time, promise.  This is the third time I've played through the campaign mode and I still think it's fandabbydozy.  I'm basically speed running it at this point now.  One of the best side scrolling platform shooters ever (it's also a twin stick hybrid of sorts), I absolutely love it.  Relentlessly entertaining and happy to provide set piece after set piece in the name of good old fashioned fun.  It jumps all over the place - within the confines of a 2D shmup, obvs - with its varied gameplay chunks bringing top tier quality pretty much each and every time.  One minute it's a twin stick platformer, then it's a gravity bubble shooter, then it's an underwater avoid-em-up, then it's a horizontal shooter and so on.  Magnificent stuff, this is regularly under a quid on the EShop and it's probably in my top 20 games of all time.  If you haven't played it and ever find yourself hankering for the linear shooters of yesteryear you need to pick this up.  There aren't even any secrets to find, it just funnels you through the whizzbangs. @Eric, it'll float your boat I reckon.  Gaming historians would absolutely fucking love this if it had been a JP only Dreamcast Treasure game. [9]

Can't believe JonB rates this as a [4].  Monkey's on team Moot, think he gave it a similar score to me.  Nina and Syph's thoughts sit somewhere in between I think.  Clearly splits opinion but I think it's one of the best indies money's ever been able to buy.  94p guys/gals.

rive-boss.gif
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Gaming historians would absolutely fucking love this if it had been a JP only Dreamcast Treasure game.
    It's like you put that in there just to make me feel sick.
  • Precisely how I feel about the flippin' [4].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I started it. It seemed ok.
  • Need to update this myself.

37. No More Heroes 3 [6]
    More No More Heroes. It's full of amusing homages and unexpected twists, and the basic combat is pretty good. But it doesn't have much to say these days and doesn't move anywhere new, even sticking to the original's repetitive structure, which falls flat the second time around.

38. Hoa [7]
    A short, simple and gentle platform game boosted by lush visuals and soundtrack. Probably the sort of thing kids could enjoy to get into the genre, especially since there's no death. But anyone looking for a nice comfort game to relax with should like it too.

39. The Forgotten City [8]
    Open investigation time again, now with a time loop and ancient Roman setting. It's more dialogue based than the likes of Paradise Killer or Obra Dinn, and not quite as brilliant as either. But there are plenty of clever little ways to exploit the loop and some interesting ideas about morality and history to get your head round.

40. F.I.S.T. [6]
    A substantial and varied Metroidvania with plenty of elaborate level design and tricky platform challenges. Unfortunately, I found it quite annoying to play, with the combat especially sapping my enthusiasm. It's not even difficult really, just niggling in a way that wore me down.
  • Got Hoa in the wishlist but it can wait for half price, sounds like a one and done.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Got Hoa in the wishlist but it can wait for half price, sounds like a one and done.
    Yeah, and in about 4 hours too.
  • 22. Rock N' Roll Racing (SNES) - 5hrs

Was gonna pick up the Blizzard Collection to play this, but then thought sod it, and just booted up the ROM on the SNES mini.

This has actually aged quite well imo. The controls are nice and responsive, it looks the part and the chip tune renditions of classic rock tracks never get dull surprisingly, despite there only being a handful on rotation.

The only real issues I have is the difficulty is a bit unbalanced, and it can drag in places.

It starts off really easy and then gets quite tough as you have to juggle buying new vehicles and upgrading them with your winnings.

Once you have accumulated enough points in a season you can skip ahead, but at the risk of losing earnings from the remaining races. So you reluctantly play on despite not needing the points so you don't miss out on the cash.

Then when you get the best vehicle and have it maxed out, it becomes as easy as the opening few seasons. I maxed everything out with two seasons to go, so I didn't have to grind at the mid point as much as I thought, but I wasn't to know that at the time.

Despite that, it's good fun and I really enjoyed it.

7/10

edit: bumping the score up, was considering an 8 originally and after playing the multiplayer I think its definitely deserved...

8/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If it wasn’t for a couple of things Rive could be a 10.
  • And one of those is only a problem on the switch.
  • I had a go on Rock ‘N’ Roll Racing recently. Still holds up.
  • Pretty much fully agree with that RnR review.  It’s not too bloody far off being a top game and a modern sequel (I’d love to see one) wouldn’t need to change much to get there.  Beautifully presented too.
  • Yeah, part of me feels harsh for not giving it an 8, it's really good.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • monkey wrote:
    If it wasn’t for a couple of things Rive could be a 10.

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand Rive and those who don't.
  • 92. The Art(ifice)ful Escape - Xbox Series S (4hrs)

A bogus journey with enough flamboyance to disguise itself as an excellent adventure; something something time to face the music.  For an hour or so I thought this might be a cheeky contender for the contestable spots on my GotY list but by the time the credits rolled I might've booed an encore.  I didn't dislike it on the whole, so let's get that out the way first, but the foundations of the experience are eyebrow-raisingly creaky and it starts to run out of steam roughly halfway.  It's basically a hugely flashy narrative adventure built on top of a laughably wonky platformer with occasional rudimentary (and largely poor) Simon Says pattern parroting.  There are some lovely touches here and there and the dialogue isn't half bad for the most part, but after a strong opening the plot just kinda noodles its way thorough a series of bum notes.  It didn't help that the folk tunes the main character may or may not be turning his back on were much more appealing to my ears than the kiss the sky while surfing with an alien dressed as Ziggy Stardust stuff. 

It's a vibe, and I'm happy to make allowances for some games with iffy mechanics (see Below on the previous page, or at least my attempt to gloss over its shortcomings), but they have to deserve it.  This just about pulls it off, but I think I'll wrap this up now before I talk myself into a lower score.  [6] feels about right, on a bad day I could go lower.  

The_Artful_Escape_XO19_GIF_6.gif?t=1588183625
  • 23. Aero Fighters (SNES) - 30mins

Decent port of the arcade game, which is your standard early 90s vertical shoot 'em up.

Surprisingly doesn't suffer to badly from slowdown, which tended to plague the genre on SNES, especially in the early years of the console.

Solid co-op fun but criminally short overall. Would definitely have been worthy of another point or two had it had more content.

6/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 24. Rushing Beat (SNES) - 1hr 15mins

Hard not to enjoy a scrolling beat 'em up in co-op, but this pushed it.

Washed out graphics, completely forgettable music and a move set that most 8-Bit entries in the genre would be embarrassed to have.

It really was a dull playthrough overall, which dragged on for at least half hour to long.

But like I said, as long as they're co-op I tend to get some enjoyment from them.

5/10

25. Rushing Beat Ran (SNES) - 1hr 30mins

Another run-of-the-mill scrolling beat 'em up.

Marginally better than the first, but still ultimately lacking compared to its peers.

5/10

26. Rushing Beat Syura (SNES) - 1hr 20mins

More of the same, but has a bat shit story involving aliens. Obviously being a Japanese game I had no idea what was going on, but all I did know was I'd rather be beating up street punks than generic aliens.

Probably the pick of the trilogy, but the alien aspect made me wish I was playing Rushing Beat Ran.

5/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I also played another hour of Rock N' Roll Racing.

Had no idea the campaign was multiplayer, so I'm gonna do a rare revision on my score and bump it to an 8.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    14. Warioware - Get It Together

It's Warioware, it's slight, it's insane. Saw the last of the story mode this morning and obviously it opened up some extra stuff. I'll definitely give the Wario Cup ranked stuff a go, and still have some mini games to unlock, but the end did come a little fast for me.
    Biggest disappointment is that it doesn't have the little toys / doodads from the gatcha system. The gatcha mechanics only opens costumes / ranked mode levelling up etc. But still, good fun all round.
  • Looking forward to it but the demo promised greatness.
  • 35: Everybody's Golf World Tour (single player) (PS3) 8/10

Golf games turn me into a goldilocks kind of whinger.  It doesn't matter how good a game it is, I'm always left having a cry about something.  It seems I'll never love a golf game as much as those early months with PS Vita's Everybody's Golf.  

This one is pretty much the same as that one, except with no online challenges (they might have been there once upon a time, but are long gone).  It's still a top game, and I imagine it only gets better with multiplayer.  There's really not too much wrong with it.  Ball behaves as it should, you have a decent range of courses and characters that can be modified with different balls and clubs.  You unlock new characters, clubs and balls by doing different challenges (ie 9/19 holes @ a course with different weather conditions, mirrored courses etc).  You have a really nice sense of progression.  I did think the final head to head challenge was a real bastard though.  The lady you play against toys with you.  Like, early on she's chipping in birdies and eagles, then halfway through she'll miss a 2 mitre putt just to give you hope, before fucking you up over the last couple of holes.  I only beat her after AT LEAST a dozen tries when I nailed a few arsey chip ins myself.

Trying to think of exactly what I'd want from a golf game.  It would be something like.

Plays like Everybody's Golf
    Looks like Mario Golf BUT only has courses with green grass (none if this castle of desert bullshit)
    A Smash Bros level roster with like 10 different unlockable outfits etc
    A NBA 2K career mode
    A Daily Challenge Thing

36: Saints Row 4 (PC) 9/10

Swapping to a superhero game from a gta game was a masterstroke.  This game does have quite a few problems but I think they are pretty much cancelled out by allowing your character to run fast, jump high and glide everywhere.  This is one of the few games where I like to explore the whole map because getting around is too much fun.  I do like playing dress ups in computer games and Saints Row is second best at letting you make your character look as awesome or silly as you like (equal best, for some reason, is every wrestling game, ever).  It has the infectious fun momentum of SR3's opening hours but maintains it for the length of the game.

There are too many 'do this challenge 5 times' bits, and any mission that takes your powers away just reminds you how much better this game is as a superhero game.  Still though this was a blast and just as good as I remembered it being.

37: Saints Row Gat Out Of Hell (PC) 5/10

I bounced off this back in the day.  Big mistake getting you to play as Johnny Gat instead of your created character.  He does nothing for me.  I never played SR 1 and 2 really.  I don't get why I'm supposed to love him.  He's just some bloke.  

Bigger problems are this is JUST 'do this challenge 5 times' and your powers are removed.  You do eventually get them back, and in fact you can now fly rathe than glide.  By the end of the game, flying is very good.  It was a misstep to have these powers unlocked over time.  Further your can't play dress ups.  This game takes away most of what I enjoy from the previous.  Also the game is set in hell and it looks like generic shit.  I did think the Devil, his daughter and the other new characters looked alright though.  Pretty ordinary all up.
  • I didn't get money's worth out of Everybody's Golf World Tour, iirc I had two enjoyable couch mp sessions with it and that's it, I don't think I even tried the sp. 

I loved the challenges in Mario Golf World Tour.  They weren't even all that good, but it was a sort of Crazy Taxi Crazy Box mode which I enjoyed so I'd have that on my list of golf game requirements.  I don't need an RPG-esque solo mode but it worked for Advance Tour & World Tour, just not Super Rush.
  • Do you remember why you didn't play it much?  Didn't get along with it or just not in the mood?

Holding out hope that there'll be a 20gb patch for Super Rush with a bunch of new modes and such.  That adventure mode was something else! Already feels like a half remembered amalgam of a few different games.  Good on them for having a crack I guess.
  • 93. Rain on Your Parade - Xbox Series S (3-4hrs)

Enjoyable enough knockabout checklist indie effort that I suppose you could just about call a puzzle game.  Cloudy the cardboard cut-out cloud must do the business across 50+ levels, tasked with various objectives per stage with abilities that range from wetting things to (spoilers!) snowing on things.  It's all silly, it's mostly reasonably good fun, but it's also an accidental eye-opener for me in terms of how far the goalposts for 'mediocre' have moved in the past few years.  If this had been an XBLA title from 2008 there would've been a modicum of buzz I reckon, but with copious amounts of good quality titles releasing on a near enough weekly basis these days it's a modern [5] imo; not a waste of life but bang average on the good ol' Edge scale.  I started this with Tilly but she lost interest in actually playing halfway through and turned her back on it completely after the dino extinction stage, which meant I could push through back half of the campaign rather than mess around.  Every cloud etc.  Insert infinite power/cloud nine lines I couldn't be bothered to shoehorn in, and pretend I found a good spot to put the caption cloud strife

bus_stop.gif?t=1630624002
  • Do you remember why you didn't play it much?  Didn't get along with it or just not in the mood? Holding out hope that there'll be a 20gb patch for Super Rush with a bunch of new modes and such.  That adventure mode was something else! Already feels like a half remembered amalgam of a few different games.  Good on them for having a crack I guess.

I didn't play much at the time, believe it or not.  Was a weird few years for me in terms of gaming, especially before the indies took hold.  I was still pretending videogames were my main hobby and kinda forcing myself to keep up with the Joneses.  At one point I was finishing maybe six or seven games a year but still buying plenty more, and clockwatching every time I sat down to play (forcing myself to play for more than 45mins).  I blame the demise of the Dreamcast, I still dabbled but it took me a while to get my mojo back.  I  owned a couple of PS2/3 games that never even saw the disc drive, and one of them was Gradius V #FML
  • Oof RE Gradius.  Who could have known.  Hopefully in 2050 a Switch jam packed with long lost Eshop games will be worth more anyway.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!