52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • 83. Battle Princess Madelyn: Royal Edition - Switch (2hrs)

In the end I refused to let this get the better of me as I'd effectively paid for it twice, even though the total spend was around a fiver.  Non essential back-story:  I bought Battle Princess Madelyn for £3.37 a few years ago, even though I knew it was supposed to be a bit shit, as I fancied its separate left to right arcade mode (the Metroidvania main game was a mess, apparently).  Turns out I didn't like it.  Then a deluxe/rejigged edition appeared, which I foolishly grabbed when it dropped to an even lower price, just in case.  It does away with the 'vania trappings entirely and doubles down on the arcade thrills.  I tried it and still hated it.  

Fast forward to Tuesday night.  I thought I'd give it one more chance before binning it forever, and I managed to get going with it at long last.  It's a Ghouls 'n Ghosts clone that harkens back to a bygone era and thinks it's beautiful but actually isn't, like a playable Katie 'Jordan' Price.  I'm not sure what it is about the look that doesn't hit the spot but it's a swing and a miss for me.  The first couple of stages are pretty tough, after that I don't know whether I found my groove or the rest of the game was a pushover but I managed to get through at least half of the subsequent stages without continuing.  The bosses are abysmal.  Some of them only have three attack patterns that take 30 seconds to work out, and after that there's no reason to get hit, so the only consideration is the infuriating ticking clock (yes, it has an instant Game Over countdown, everyone loves them).  There aren't any pre-boss (or even mid-level) checkpoints but that's no excuse to make the guardians this pathetic.  It's one of the strangest difficulty curves I've ever encountered - an initial toughness that quickly subsides, one-shot easy for ages, evil bastard final boss.  It's clearly been designed as a love letter to a particular game, but one that doesn't appear to have been written with a dominant hand and was posted to the wrong address.  Essential considerations such as 'can the player avoid this attack?' don't appear to have been discussed in certain instances (evil last boss, I'm looking at you), and the majority of the stages struck me as slapdash copycat cringe.  I can't believe this is the refined version of a game that was already supposedly finished.  

Admittedly I had fun in places as it still managed to feel like GnG thanks to the near identical template, but played on a recorder in a way that makes you wonder if the whole thing's a parody.  Cursed Castilla EX is more Goblins than Ghouls, but also a far better bet if you're looking for an homage.  I might have to check out the recent reboot as a palate cleanser.   [4] 

una-fase-inesperada-ambientacion-battle-princ-L-lgkiPw.gif

And don't let the gif fool you, it's the worst downward plunge in recent memory.
  • No one likes a poorly executed dp
  • I mean dragon punch
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You love to see it
  • I'm impressed by the perseverance of seeing a 4/10 through until the end.

Granted it might not be apparent its that poor until the final stretch, but you've played enough that there must be a few that you knew were pants pretty early on.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 84. Space Jam: A New Legacy - Xbox One S (45mins)

Not quite sure the backstory to this one.  It's a free game based on a film I didn't know existed until I heard about the game, which is a sequel to a famous 90s film I haven't seen.  It's a brief and very simplistic scrolling beat 'em up with chunky 1992 arcade visuals and an ultra basic moveset that wouldn't have passed muster (or cut mustard) at any point since '89.  As a two player game it's just about playable - Tilly enjoyed herself as Lola Bunny - but that's more thanks to the braindead charm of the genre than anything the game does particularly well.  Probably worse than the majority of mid-tier 16-bit scrups.  [3]

SPACE-JAM-V2.gif

Obviously a budget title but another game that makes me think Battletoads 2020 got a bum deal from many.  Some of the minigames were disastrous but it was eager to please and the fight system wasn't half bad.  It's all moot after SOR4 though, I guess.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I want to play that.
  • There are worse ways to spend three quarters of an hour.  Scrolling beat 'em ups aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'm happy enough playing the bad ones tbh.  You only get three lives but you can keep continuing by mashing the X button for an extra go once they run out.
  • 85. The Magnificent Truffle Pigs - Switch (2.5hrs)

I should probably review this when I'm sober but I fancy it now and I have my glasses on.  It's a walking sim that revolves around metal detecting in the English countryside by the lead designer of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.  

Anyone still here?  Probably not, but just in case - I loved EGttR, and I know I'm in the minority with this one but I thought it was a hugely memorable experience.  Like almost all walking sims it wasn't quite as good as it could have been, but it hit the mark with its Mary Celeste via The Archers vibe.  I'm aware everyone hated it, but it's not far behind Finch for me.  Which is why I took a punt on this.

Okay look, it's probably going to be crushingly dull for most people.  But as a massive fan of The Detectorists and naturalistic dialogue driven entertainment where not-much-happens, I was pre-disposed to like it.  Cards on the table: it's no Rapture, which I'm sure is a JFC for most people, but it's still a worthwhile experience.  I could nitpick (there's plenty wrong with it in fairness) but I don't want to; I enjoy the genre now and then, and this gets a warranted thumbs up from me.  [7]

Steam_Landscape_1b.gif?t=1623697142
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmmm
  • 28.Aliens Fireteam - 6 Hours - 7/10 - Xbox Series X

Did exactly what I wanted. It’s like playing the action scenes in Aliens. And I didn’t mind it was that over and over…and over again as it’s what I expected. To shoot thousands of Xeno’s whilst making my way through some kind of storyline. Shootings good, the sound effects are to die for. The motion tracker, rifle and Xeno scream never get old.

Didn’t offer anything different, crazy or new. Just good old 3rd person shooting, just an old style arcade shooting game. Will pick up again when some mates have picked it up for some mp fun as it’s a tough battle and the harder difficulties with AI are impossible. It’s a real
    Challenge which made it even more fun.

A solid 7.
  • 21. Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4) - 35hrs

Standard AC stuff here, which is perfectly fine with me.

Loses 1 point for being quite grind heavy when it comes to unlocking parts and new aircrafts, which unfortunately are pretty much a requirement for later levels.

Still, when your in a dog fight, the adrenaline is pumping and your head is tilted to half past 7 there's nothing quite like it.

7/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I tried that one, seemed a bit brutal with its checkpoints compared to most games these days.
  • 30: Arkanoid DS (DS) 5/10

This is quite a pissweak version of Arkanoid.  Luckily Arkanoid is pretty cool and can only be so bad.  It has 2 issues those being
    1: it runs at 30fps which makes it hard to follow the ball when things get hectic
    2: it uses both screens on the DS; your paddle is on the bottom, the bricks are on the top screen.  Of course there is a gap between the 2 screens, and when the ball’s travelling between them you can’t tell where exactly it is!  It’s a pretty bloody big gap.  The DS systems seemed to turn normal studios into lunatics who came up with horrible ideas that ruined games quite often.

31: Gears 5 (PC) 8/10
    32: Gears Hivebusters (PC) 7/10

I was worried about Gears 5 as it seems a little too over egged.  You now have a robot pal who opens doors and shit like that and also helps in battle. You can mostly ignore him.  I did.  It also has a little open world stuff.  Thankfully your waterworld style craft is fun to drive and there’s not much essential buggering around.  It just ended up being an enjoyable brief break between fights really.  

Great loooking game, some nice locations to blow shit up in and see monsters explode.  The fighting is still fun.  I quite liked the story and characters this time, even if it does do the old ‘pick which of these 2 bad things will happen’ which I think was played out a decade ago wasn’t it?  Just has no effect anymore in any case.

Hivebusters was more of the same but with a little less bombast and 3 new characters who I didn’t care about until the game was almost over.  Solid fun though.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I tried that one, seemed a bit brutal with its checkpoints compared to most games these days.

Yeah, there's a few levels where you have to complete a mundane 10min task before getting to a challenging part, just to have to do it all over again.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I remember being quite excited to 'try' Arkanoid DS on my flash cart because I loved the arcade game as a kid. 10 minutes in I was glad I didn't pay money for it, put it that way.
  • 29.The Ascent - 10 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox Series X

Great game but could’ve been so much more with suck little change.

The good, looks stunning. Sound effects and track are great. The world is stunning and the depth in the detail is sublime. Best Cyber Punk world I’ve seen built. It plays smoothly and I didn’t encounter a single issue, like butter. The gameplay is simple but effective and the gunplay is simple but chunky, aggressive and never got old for me. The number of weapons and gadgets means your approach to combat has a lot of depth and it’s upto you.

The bad, the script could and should’ve been much better, especially because the story is actually quite interesting if hugely under developed and very much rushed at the end. Most common problem associated with the game is the story, considering the world they’ve built it’s such a shame they didn’t fill it with a rich story through narrative, such a disappointment.

BUT, it’s still great to play. Looks great, sounds great, and well deserving of a sequel with better story direction and implementation. Great little game.
  • Questor wrote:
    I remember being quite excited to 'try' Arkanoid DS on my flash cart because I loved the arcade game as a kid. 10 minutes in I was glad I didn't pay money for it, put it that way.

Found it in the local second hand shop for $3 and my eyes lit up, thought it was a steal at that price.  Turns out I was the one getting fleeced lol
  • 86. 1943: The Battle of Midway  (Switch, 40mins)

I've played this befiefly in the past, but we're talking a credit or two here and there.  Thought I'd stick with it and shovel virtual coins in until the credits.  It's always going to be tough to attempt to work out quite how good games like this were at the time, but I'm gonna go ahead and suggest magnificent.  Good player movement and strong enemy patterns/variations, plus a touch of stategy to the weapon drops and special attacks.  The way the energy bar doubles up as the special bar is ingenious as far as coin guzzling goes. as you're more powerful immediately after you continue than you were before you lost the life.  It doesn't strike me as a particularly 'fair' game, by modern standards, but shmups rarely do as I'm terrible at forced scrollers. I wasn't convinced by the emulation in a couple of places as it felt a bit stuttery (played undocked on the Capcom Generations package), but it may be perfectly accurate so I'll have a read up on that shortly.  Great fun.

Verdict: Deserving of its place on the hall of fame.
  • 87. Ghosts 'n Goblins (Switch, 1hr)

Another game I've dabbled with, having probably played the opening level a dozen or so times over the years, but never one I'd seen through.  I've got some Ghouls stripes: I've managed to finish the excellent Master System port, the strong MD effort and the insanely difficult Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts port on GBA on the respective host hardware, but (the superb) Ultimate on PSP is my only proper Goblins time.  

I knew this would be tough, although going into it foolishly considering myself half decent at these I wasn't expecting it to be quite so hideously brutal.  There were parts of it that had me alternating between the handy rewind button and rubbing my face in dismay.  The flying demons of Demon's Crest fame are an absolute nightmare, and the bigger ones that eventually appear as guardians just cube the annoyance factor.  How the hell anyone can do this with the proper checkpoints (I think there's one per stage maybe?) I'll never know.  I'm convinced that there's no way I ever could have done it, even back when I got a handful of games a year and the philosophy was git gud or cry trying.  

I didn't hate it - I love the template and crave nostalgia ticklers that mimic it - but it's disgustingly tough and I think with the benefit of hindsight it's just too much for me to endorse this as a classic.  Having to do a harder version of it all again after the final boss (which I didn't do, full disclosure fuck that) is beyond a kick in the teeth too; it practically stomps them clean through the back of your head then laughs in your face cavity.  The ticking clock is equally harsh and the residual feeling is one of partial hatred, tbh.  There's a bit where you go up a ladder in the sixth level and there are two of the nastier beasties on either side, so the best tactic seems to be to suffer a hit then grab replacement armour further up the stage.  

Verdict: Laid the groundwork but not up to the standards of whichever game gets officially described as its sequel.  I don't think I would have plopped too much money into this as a kid because there's only so much Level One a boy can take.  Will watch an expert run because I'm intrigued, but this is easily one of the most horrifically difficult games I've ever played.
  • What version did you play?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Which ROM revision do you mean?  Whichever the default is is on the Capcom Arcade Stadium, will check.
  • Speaking of bosses, the Unicorns have shown up to greet you right as you climb the first ladder. Depending on the version that you're playing, you may encounter two (old version) or one (new version).
    GnG_Stage6_partA.png

So it looks like I played the old version.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Which ROM revision do you mean?  Whichever the default is is on the Capcom Arcade Stadium, will check.

Na, just meant Arcade or NES etc.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    11. Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS5 - 30 hours - 8/10
    After bouncing off this twice I finally decided to give a proper chance and I’m glad I did. The world, setting and main story are very well realised, supported by some stunning art design and graphics. The frame rate bump on PS5 also improved the experience of the last third of the game. The story, told as usual in little snippets of journals and voice logs slowly reveals what happened to mankind, with a slightly different take on the apocalypse that I enjoyed and the ending was suitably satisfying while leaving enough mystery to make me want to play the sequel.

The main negatives for me included; far too many things on the map and weak side quests mainly due to the  character animation, probably the biggest weakness in the game. I was able to get to the endgame with only a bit of grinding as I’d arrived at the end about 6 levels too low, but went and explored some unknown areas of the map, which was reasonably fun.

A good, solid, open world third person game that the sequel hopefully improves on.
  • 88. Golf Club Wasteland - Switch (2hrs)

I do like a good curio.  This is a very simplistic, genuinely pretty but almost Flash-like golf game underpinned by a post-apocalyptic narrative mostly told via the ever present Radio Nostalgia (which plays hits of the 21st and early 22nd century between phone-ins from Mars).  The radio station is the real star of the show and does an excellent job of elevating this into....above par territory?  Below par?  Either way, I really enjoyed my time with it.  If you're mainly in it for the golf you may be disappointed - although the repetitive chill vibe certainly worked for me - but if you approach it expecting a short, unusual, well told story game with some surprisingly neat touches that also happens to require that you sink some balls I think you might be delighted.  One for @afgavinstan, I reckon.  [8]

• 89. Below - Xbox Series S (12hrs)

Disclaimer: unfinished due to progress scuppering bug.    

Stunningly beautiful, oblique roguelike exploration adventure that doesn't have the gameplay chops to back up the glorious aesthetic.  I think it's fair to say that I wanted to like this more than it deserves - it's unlikely I'd suffer the pretty one-note (and slightly sloppy) combat in many other games, but this is tantalisingly close to being extra special.  At some point in development it must have been shaping up to be astonishingly good, but mistakes were made - mistakes that have only been partially rectified post launch.  It launched on Gamepass in late 2018 and promptly dropped off the service, but not before the majority of players that tried it bounced hard.  You can tell it's an unloved game on the whole due to the achievement stats that pop up (I stumbled on an obvious item early on that only a small percentage of players had found).  When the game was ported to PS4 it arrived with an additional Explore Mode with the OG experience relabeled Survive Mode, and a free patch was offered elsewhere.  A few websites reevaluated the updated package and unanimously decided that the new mode should have been in from the start as the minor tweaks offered major quality of life boosts.  Quite how anyone had the patience to play this to completion in its original form is beyond me, and I doff my cap with sincerity.  

The thing is though....Explore Mode still falls well short of what the framework around the mechanics deserves.  It's one of the best looking games I've ever clapped eyes on and the impenetrably mysterious location is absolutely sublime.  The music drips in and out as you attempt to learn what the game requires of you (no handy tutorials or signposts here - just about your only clue in terms of direction is the title itself) and if you're anything like me you may find yourself being duped into full addiction.  I was thinking about this while I wasn't playing.  I was urging others to buy it (successfully in some cases, soz).  I was playing for mammoth 2hr sessions in the evenings after repeatedly bagsying the TV, relegating the wife to the bedroom to watch Netflix on her phone.  I was keeping anyone who'd listen abreast of my progress, or lack of, in the Currently Playing thread.  I even started listening to the music at work (Progression is a superb track).  Then Silke warned me of the impending and much derided darkness segments.  At that point I was still confident they wouldn't be able to buck me off as I had plans to ride this pony into the sunset, but they very nearly did.  They're brutal, and they hammer home all of the control deficiencies I'd been willing to overlook up to that point.  Plus the majority of the brutality is caused by poor design rather than the game giving you a fair go and emerging victorious.  I used the word numerous times when I was melting down elsewhere, but those sections are hideous.  It was at this point I thought of an analogy that I've not been able to shake, so here it is in all its nonsense: it reminded me of a guy that started getting my train who I ended up getting pretty chatty with.  Seemed like a decent bloke, had a few laughs, lots of music chat, got quite pally over the course of maybe a month, plans to grab a beer were made.  A new friend appears!  Then BAM, it turned out he was a racist.  The darkness sections in this are that level of rug pull after a positive start.  /end analogy, insert Gob gif.

I've wasted too much time on this already.  My entire time with it could be considered wasted in fairness, it certainly smarts that I had to watch the last hour on Youtube after the ridiculous oversight which led to me being stuck in a cave forever.  The thing is though, I've still got a ton of things to say, so I clearly don't know how to hate it.  Believe it or not, in spite of everything, I'm glad I played it.  I could call it a hodgepodge of this and that, but on the whole it's unlike anything I've ever attempted to tackle and it's such a shame its shortcomings are so prominent after extended play.  [6], but still an experience that's going to leave one hell of a lasting impression.

ss_57a4dfb80c548491d5f9e8751d6d32764a71980f.1920x1080.0.jpg
  • I'm one of those who tapped out early on the original gamepass release and wouldn't have got that achievement.  Though I think my main issue was the man was too small and I couldn't tell what was going on. Hashtag 32 Inch Telly Problems

Shame they couldn't quite bring it together; always a frustration when something's almost awesome

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!