52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • I think I'll try The Last Stop at some point.  I didn't hate/almost liked Virginia.
  • It's less 'arty' and more entertaining, for sure.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    10 - Enjoyed Omno (Xbox Series X) played over the last two nights. Missed one animal at the start somewhere and not going back to 100% everything. It’s Journey-like without having the emotional feeling that Journey builds to. However, props to the one man (plus composer who is adding a couple of points to this game as I felt the music was excellent) - [8]
  • 79. A Monster's Expedition Through Puzzling Exhibitions - Switch (14hrs 52mins)

It's not fair to say 'near-perfect' for this, which I was considering as part of my opening sentence; it probably is perfect, all things considered. The puzzles certainly delivered - a big plus for a puzzle game! - and the way the (basically) open world gradually knits the individual tasks together takes sublime design to stratospheric heights.  I'm considering a perfect score here, NGL.  You control a monster who pushes trees down and rolls them around small islands to create paths to other islands, slowly revealing sections of a foggy map and occasional exhibitions displaying human items from a monster's eye view.  It works on a grid system and the stumps can either be rolled or flipped.  Learning the rules is part of the joy so I won't explain them further, and the limited scope of the individual puzzles is intrinsic to the game's appeal.  After an hour or so you can glance at a layout and cross off/work towards possibilities.  Of course there are tweaks and twists here and there, but the basics remain from start to finish.  The absolute majesty of the whole package is the slow burn of the genius, and how the map doesn't fuck itself thanks to what must have been painstakingly intricate conundrum blueprints.  It's a masterpiece, frankly.

I don't tend to love games like this.  I don't often gel with brain-teasers-for-fun and would never voluntarily sit down for a spot of sudoku or what have you as things like that just tend to a) bore me or c) make me feel a bit thick.  I occasionally like puzzlers (scattershot list: World of Goo, Fez, Hitman Go, the Portals, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Slayaway Camp, Toki Tori up to a point, umm....The Swapper until my brain 'sploded) but more often I merely admire them and I wish I appreciated them more than I do (The Witness for example - I absolutely know I'd hate it, which annoys me), but this got its claws all the way in.  I played at least half of it with Mrs. Moot, which is a rarity, and probably the reason why I'm going to stick with my earlier consideration for the score.  'For what it is' it gets the big [10]. I can't fault it, it's such a deftly clever game, and it's funny too.  There aren't many better fits for portable gaming either, it's rewarding whether you hammer it or dip in and out for a few mins a day.

chop6.gif?t=1628181259
  • I’m guessing it gets vastly better after the first 50 or 60 islands or so which were a bit simple and dull and repetitive?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My guess would be you'd be guessing incorrectly, it's a textbook YMMV experience.  60ish islands is probably enough to get a bead on whether you like the format or not, I think by that stage I could see stumps being shunted around when I shut my eyes.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You might enjoy the dude's other stuff, if you've not tried them, moot. They're similarly well constructed, with similarly glorious complexity curves & aesthetics/maps. Specifically:
    - Cosmic Express
    - Sokobond
    - A Good Snowman (Is hard to build)

As I said above i think, I challenge anyone to name an indie with four distinct games as good as those.
  • They're coming to Switch I think (or may have arrived along with this one).  Will need a run of cheap & cheerful arcade thrills to top up my gaming batteries before I tackle another puzzle game but will definitely check them out.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah yeah think I saw that.

The impressive thing is they're each a risky different core mechanic, but in each case it just builds and builds. Snowman probably the weakest (and in fact closest to Monster's Expedition in feel), the other two in particular are toppest of tiers. So a triple pack is what you want, when the mojo fits.
  • Fully basking in the afterglow of Monster's.  Such game.

91. The Art(ifice)ful Escape - Xbox Series S (4hrs)

A bogus journey with enough flamboyance to pass as an excellent adventure; something something time to face the music.  For an hour or so I thought this might be a cheeky contender for the contestable spots on my GotY list but by the time the credits rolled I might've booed an encore.  I didn't dislike it on the whole, so let's get that out the way first, but the foundations of the experience are eyebrow-raisingly creaky and it runs out of steam roughly halfway.  It's basically a hugely flashy narrative adventure build on top of an atrocious platformer with rudimentary (and largely poor) Simon Says pattern parroting.  There are some lovely touches here and there and the dialogue isn't half bad for the most part, but the plot just kinda noodles towards a bum note.
  • I keep dropping into monsters but there’s times I genuinely get stumped (see what I did there). I just can’t work out what to do and often on islands with only a couple of trees. Keep coming back though. Think it may well be the colour palette that pleases me so that I’m happy to return. It reminds me of Alba, Lonely Mountain, A Short Hike, Wide Ocean and Firewatch. Genuinely think it’s the choice of colour tone in all these games that just subconsciously appeals.
  • And probs the natural ambience to the sound work?
  • They've changed the colour of a couple of trees in the Switch version (included possibly the recent update for other formats too).  I've been watching some secrets vids and earlier versions don't seem to have.....a certain signifier that I don't want to spoil.  Which seems absolutely essential to me, not that it's a pushover either way.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I went back in after the update and some trees looked different which confused me.

I also couldn't work out how to get to any of the new areas. So I cried at my inadequacy and closed it.
  • 27: Rym 9000 (PC) 3/10

I could only manage about 15 minutes with this one.  It is a shmup made by Sonoshee, who made Critters for Sale, a point n click game I recently enjoyed.  It seems like a competently made shmup from what I can tell.  I can barely look at it though.  It certainly has a vision and a distinct art style.  Epilepsy warning for this video.

I was exhausted after playing it.  Perfect if you don't like not having a migraine.

28: Gears Of War Tactics (PC) 7/10

I liked a lot of this game but was pretty over it 2/3rds of the way through.

Really nicely made Xcom style turns based tactics game.  It has its own spin and encourages aggressive play (IE you can get in close to finish off a downed opponent and the rest of your turn will get an extra action that round).  Visually it's very clear and there's never any doubt whether your units are sufficiently covered, what skills they can use, what the enemy is up to (the ones you can see, anyway); like I never found myself accidentally walking over a mine or left out in the open.  All perfectly good.

I thought it was let down by a bad story that didn't really feed into the missions.  It was always like 'hey, we need better weapons to fight the baddie, lets go loot this base' and it's pretty much the same mission you've done half a dozen times before.  I wish there were more unique missions were something relating to the plot happened within them.  It's a bit much when you will sometimes have to do a bunch of mandatory 'side missions' towards the end when you're a bit sick of it.  Just filler stuff.

Biggest issue is you can't speed up or skip the enemy's turn.  Half the game is watching them fart arse around.  The strongest monsters move the slowest too.  It death when you're struggling, near the end of a mission with half your team on low health, having to watch some fat arse alien with a bazooka swaggering around and taking half an hour to line up an easy shot that will kill probably someone and make you restart.

Also I would do something about the first round of games like this; if you play properly it always takes a couple of rounds before you meet an enemy, edging your team forward in cover.  It takes about 5 minutes for anything to happen.  And the thing that happens is watching the enemy take their turn for 90 seconds.  This might just be a whinge I came up with during the last 3rd of the game when I wanted it to be over, though.

That's a lot of complaining for a pretty good game.  I think this is one of those games where they could make a sequel and it would be twice as good.  I won't revisit this but would definitely try a new one.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Agree that not being able to speed up the play always felt weird, was convinced I just hadn't located the correct button even after 10hrs or so.

Overwatch owns in Tactics. Have you tried Skulls of the Shogun? Slightly different, possibly more in line with the upcoming Rabbids non grid approach, but definitely worth a look. Especially as it's often on sale.
  • 80. DOOM Eternal - Curse of the Ancient Gods Part One - Xbox Series S (5hrs)

Picked up the dlc double pack at half price.  I don't think the Series S is doing much to it on a 1080p display but I don't think there was much that needed doing.  Load times are now ridiculously quick, so that was a bonus.  I enjoyed the main campaign (and gave it an 8 ) but I was definitely in the 2016 camp overall.  I mostly play games to unwind and Eternal is so relentless it's not something I could ever relax to.  I made the decision early doors to knock this down to I'm Too Young To Die and didn't regret it for a second.  In the right hands it's a bona fide masterpiece but with me holding the pad it's a bit too Clockwork Orange eyelids.gif.  I respect the hustle but I can't embrace it as my previously above average skills have dadbodded themselves down to what might be described as cackhanded efficiency.  I felt like the baby mode should've been normal difficulty tbh, which basically cements my scrub status.  It's a next level FPS and it would be rude to find fault with the core mechanics, so I'll lay the blame at my own doorstep.  I will complain about the way this leans into the pinpoint jumps for the just about half decent platforming bits though - it can be an annoying game outside of skirmishes.

Still, anyone wanting more of the same won't be disappointed.  A strong [7].  Players with the drive and patience to master it can probably add two points.  It's so goddamn DOOM.

tumblr_puk0zf6I9w1s9hwyio1_500.gifv
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Agree that not being able to speed up the play always felt weird, was convinced I just hadn't located the correct button even after 10hrs or so. Overwatch owns in Tactics. Have you tried Skulls of the Shogun? Slightly different, possibly more in line with the upcoming Rabbids non grid approach, but definitely worth a look. Especially as it's often on sale.

Haven't tried Skulls; that's one of those games I always think about getting.  Cheers for the tip.

Like you say it's always on special.  It's on sale on Switch right now, as you would assume. 

I'll wait for the Steam version though; Switch Sale Price is just Normal Steam Price.  

Will get Rabbids 2 on release, first one was such a great little game.

Good to hear Doom is more of the same, if a bit intimidated.  Got the expansion but want to do Gears 5 and Mass Effect 3 first...  Did have a look at it but only like the first bit of the main game.  You mentioned in the other thread about it making you feel like a badass.  Christ even the intro has you pumped up.  Watching Doom guy saddle up, then the heavy metal kicks in as the Doom logo comes up... Just perfect.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    13. 12 Minutes

The Shining carpet should have been more of a warning. 12 Minutes is a game about families, more specifically of the fucked up kind.

It plays as a point and click - I was on Series X and it was more cumbersome but not impossible. The puzzle jumps are mostly logical, with 2 glaring moments. The logic jumps are, at times, gran guignol. But the advertising (Hitchcockian) and concept should have clued me in to where we were going.

The acting, given the talent, veers massively. At times there's realism, at other times Winding Refn delivery, and is really inconsistent.

The ending was not as upsetting as I expected given the loop before, but wasn't as satisfactory a I would have liked.

That said, more of this weird and wee shit please. If you have Gamepass you will know really quickly if it will take you or not. I enjoyed the ride. Ymmv.
  • Gonna be the cunt who says the Locust aren't aliens, they're native to Sera afaik. Assuming the Locust are who the aliens ref is about.

Yeah I'm that pedantic.

Would love to play Tactics, deffo on my list for if/when I get a xbx/gp.
  • You’re right!  Sorry Nick/any Locusts who were reading

I also called them monsters.  But it turns out man was the real monster all along
  • :D

Apology accepted, don't do it again ;)
  • 81. ONMO - Xbox Series S (3-4hrs)

Another if you liked Journey try this adventure, with a touch of Rime.  This is the second one man team game I've played this year, and much like The Falconeer it's a heady mixture of genuinely impressive and the recurring caveat of 'for a one man team'.  It plods along nicely and successfully ups its game for the back half but I was never totally sold on it, unfortunately.  Fundamentals like a sometimish ledge grab, clumsy platforming and button placement missteps never quite let you forget that it's steeped in the spirit of Net Yaroze, which gives it a certain charm and plenty of plucky underdog wellwishers no doubt...but it's not a great game.  It is a good one though, just about, and I preferred it to one or two fuller fat Flower types (Abzu, for one).  I'm not a huge fan of the genre as they often feel like the way they feel to play is secondary to the way they make you feel while you play (or something), but I must find their laid back charms appealing on some level as I've tried quite a few.  

A fine effort [insert caveat]; some of the puzzle design is pretty neat and I liked the way you could choose which three orbs to collect to push on, rather than having to find them all. [6].  

GIF_small_separator_4.gif?t=1627924284

P.S: This is dedicated to someone called Rebecca, 'without whom I never would have been able to make this journey', so at least the guy embraces his inspiration.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That feels closer to my view than the [10] which yeah lol.
  • 82. ART SQOOL - Switch (1hr)

I put a fiver on my EShop account and told Tilly she could pick anything suitable.  She settled on this almost immediately, and with a trailer as banging as this can you blame her?

You play as Froshmin, who must complete 50 art assignments to graduate from the titular Art Sqool. If you want you can plod around the numerous eyesore islands on campus and pick up various brushes and colours to expand your kitbag, but it really doesn't matter as the grading system is totally random.  You can spend ages on a piece and be told to have another go, or scrawl the word POO on the page and receive an A.  Or you could immediately resubmit the failed effort and receive a B.  Every so often you'll get a brief cut scene where Froshmin sings a letter to him mum or frets about his life choices in 645ar style, so it sashays between a [2] and a [10] for the hour or so it takes to finish.  Assignments range from PAINT A SCENE FROM YOUR CHILDHOOD to DRAW A MAN WHO USUALLY WEARS GLASSES NOT WEARING GLASSES.  The campus sections are so bad the devs don't even care how you get about, so it's possible to keep double/triple/quadruple jumping on thin air until you reach an invisible ceiling miles above the play area.  It's an atrociously bad game (worse than the 46% Metacritic average would suggest), objectively one of the worst on Switch - a towering achievement - but I swear it'll enrich your life.  I'm nearly 40 and the trailer kills me every time, we've been quoting it all day.
  • 25. Resident Evil Village - 5 Hours - 20/10 - Xbox Series X

Knew it…Extreme with a few New Game+ items. Maybe just as good as 4. What a game. This is how it should be played, mentally hard waves of crazy enemies but a crazy arsenal to combat them. Every encounter becomes a crazy little war and I absofuckingloutely loved it. Will give it a rest now but go back to mop up some of the crazier achievements as it’s totally worth it.

26. Marvel Avengers - 10 Hours - 5/10 - Xbox Series X

First this year I’ve not actually finished but that I’m really not going to. Which is a shame as it’s not a terrible game, just repetitive beyond belief but just going on and on and on…It looks nice, plays nice, the sound design is excellent. And I’d imagine a kid would get a hell of a lot out of it as theres a lot in the package, but…it’s just boring after a while mashing hit and listening to the ‘story’.

27.Hades - 16 Attempts - 10/10 - Xbox Series X

What a game. Have been awaiting its arrival on the Xbox for some time and it was worth every second. What a game. Simple but hugely complex. Short but worthy of play after play with so many extra options especially upon your first completion to completely change the play.

Love the art style, the story and how it plays out little by little as you get deeper into the game, it’s just a work of art.

Easy 10/10.
  • 29: Quake (Switch) 10/10

This has aged remarkably.  Its 90's 3D graphics look very stylish now - Switch can't run the remaster with all the bells and whistles on at 60FPS, but it has a wonderful grimy occult atmosphere even at a low resolution.  You do get motion control aiming too!

Best of all it's just a fast, no buggering around FPS.  You start a level, you shoot baddies, you have a bit of a look around, but mostly you're done after 5 minutes.  It's so fast paced and the shooting is a joy, at least with the machine gun style weapons and explosives.  

The shotgun is famously not very good which is a bit disappointing.  I only used it when I was out of ammo elsewhere, or had Quad Damage on.  Also, there's only 2 proper boss fights.  That's all there is to complain about, though.

It comes with a ton of expansions including Quake 64.  It looks pretty bloody cool.  I've only played the proper game and had a cursory look at the other stuff.  Can't wait to get stuck in.  Great value.
  • 35. Road 96 [9]
    In terms of narrative structure, this is very smart. Procedurally selected scenes, guided in part by your chosen mode of travel, that link together to form a unique journey. It's an excellent way of recreating the vibe of classic road trip films, by keeping things unpredictable and forcing you to improvise in interactions with strangers. But the stories of the people you meet are just as important as your own, as you try to flee to the border in an oppressive dictatorship and discover their roles in the politics of the place. Then some basic survival concerns and a string of neatly interwoven mini-games make it a bit more than the walking sim/visual novel it might otherwise be, ensuring that don't simply feel like a passenger.

36. 12 Minutes [7]
    It's been fun watching everyone tear this to shreds since it came out, but I still quite liked it. I know it's flawed, with some dodgy puzzle logic at times and characters that don't react as you might expect. And yes, the story is rather contrived to fit the premise, to say the least. But it's a decent achievement fitting a whole point n click 'adventure' in a single space, and it does as good a job as any game of capturing the frustrations of a time loop. The aim is to create a sense of panicked claustrophobia and coax you into to some dark decisions - without ever explicitly pushing you - and on those counts it works for me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've also been enjoying the 12 Minutes discourse. The kotaku article is extreme but actually there's a lot I agree with.
  • 20. Super Star Wars (SNES) - 3hrs

Considering the state of movie tie-in games in the early 90s, this is phenomenal, but thats compared to shite like Terminator 2 and Home Alone.

The first thing most people will notice is the brutal difficulty, but once you realise enemies constantly respawn and all drop health you shouldn't die too much from combat, especially considering enemies also drop health and weapon upgrades.

The trick is to treat the game more like a walk and gun rather than a run and gun, there is a time limit to keep an eye out for but this was never an issue for me during my playthrough.

There are a few mode 7 levels in the game using both the Landspeeder on Tatooine and the X-Wing on the Battle of Yavin, the game also switches to a cockpit view for the final run on the Death Star. Whilst it changes things up from the standard platform sections, they're not particularly great and are just kind of there.

You also unlock Han Solo and Chewie on your travels, but they don't really add anything. In fact, by that stage in the game you have acquired Lukes Lightsaber, so there's no reason to pick the the other two who only have a standard blaster.

The big bugbear comes with cheap deaths, a few leaps of faith, getting squashed by pillars and being pushed down a pit by oncoming enemies to name a few. Thankfully they're infrequent enough not to completely ruin the experience.

The presentation and sound are superb, and like I said ealier it's a great movie tie-in for the time, but compared to something like Contra III which came out slightly earlier in 1992, its a bit rough and unpolished.

Good, not great.

6/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!