52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • I mean ‘prefer’, not ‘like’. You’re not that bad.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FFS
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm firmly elf's side of this debate
  • I'm looking to go straight into another platformer and have downloaded Celeste and The End is Nigh to replay, but I might go for the excellently titled New Super Mario Luigi U Deluxe instead.
  • Yeah do Mario Luigi.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's Maneater down. I like sharks and have done since I was a kid, so that was a few extra points. The rest of the game is a very generic tick off the boxes mission list and then move on to the next environ. I can't really recommend it except for the fact I like getting a wee cheeky hundo in areas on open world games. It was fine, a bit novel, but very repetitive.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I thought the controls were dire which is why I uninstalled it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They are. I just liked being a shark
  • 9. Curse of the Dead Gods [8]
    I don't know what counts as completed exactly, but I beat all the chapter 3 bosses, which seems good enough, even though it then adds on a tough four chapter run. Either way, I thought it was very good in the end. Cribs off the most successful modern Roguelike design sensibilities (Hades, Slay the Spire, Dead Cell) to form a very well balanced experience. Its biggest success is making every decision meaningful, whether it's which route to take, or which upgrade, or weapon, or whether to refuse new stuff altogether and take a minor cash boost or health refill instead. The combat is solid too - meaty, deliberate, testing and varied. The slight issues are repetition in the early stages after a while and the main curse gimmick often being a bit of a non-event.

10. Astro's Playroom [9]
    Did everything in this in short order. It has such momentum that it's hard to stop. I think it really benefits from being effectively an extended demo, in that it gets to just chuck different things at you every few seconds. But what's amazing is just how intuitive and slick every one of those things is. You can segue from jumping to shooting to gliding to rolling in a big ball and get what you're supposed to be doing instantly. Even with the controller functionality being put through its paces (often in very clever ways), it just clicks into place and you rarely have to break your rhythm (the monkey climbing bit was one exception, but it ended up being one of my favourite parts). In that sense, each stage is more deliriously enjoyable than almost any Mario level (with the balance point that if it ever was expanded into a full game, there's no way it would be able to maintain the pace). Plus, it's just great to have a pack-in game on a new console again, which has been made to showcase the hardware. For all the PlayStation nostalgia on show, that's something I'd really missed from 'the old days'.

11. Narita Boy [7]
    The pixel art and soundtrack are fantastic. The game itself is rather ordinary. Platforms, sword combat, lots of running around. The fighting is fairly good, but otherwise the design is rather loose. Go here, get a key, open a door, get another key, etc. True, there is some variety in the action, but not much that will really stick in the memory. And that's a real shame because everywhere you go the backgrounds and character designs are stunning, and there are loads of standout tunes. You won't hear many better soundtracks this year or see better 2D visual design. Worth playing an average game for that? I think so.

12. Mundaun [7]
    Pencil-shaded, black and white eeriness in the Swiss mountains. It's all a bit low-tech and clumsy, and the early pacing is a too rapid. But once it gets going there's a quality horror tale here and some nice little details and twists in your means of interaction. It smartly avoids trying to outright scare you most of the time, so doesn't fall back on common horror tropes. Instead it aims for the unease of unfamiliarity, and towards the end of the game it all really comes together. I also particularly liked that it's not simply the walking-sim with a few puzzles it initially appears, as it has some properly smart layout design and chucks in segments of stealth, driving and more besides. It's quite rudimentary, and not too taxing (thankfully), but it melds with the overall sense of strangeness and unpredictability.
  • Will start Narita Boy on Tuesday. What's the length, roughly?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Will start Narita Boy on Tuesday. What's the length, roughly?
    Maybe 6 hours. It's not huge anyway.
  • Edit: Forgot Astro's Playroom. Added in above.
  • 31. Asterix - Master System (1hr 12 minutes)

I've got a fortnight off - home alone for most of the day until Thursday! - and I've been constantly rearranging my gaming itinerary.  Everything went out the window last night when I half-drunkenly decided that speedrunning 8-bit favourites was the best idea ever, so I kicked off with this one....and it took me longer than I expected.  It's not the pushover I remembered, and some sections are rather tricky.  I've revisited this once or twice for a retro play and it never disappoints, and is very much in with a shout as the best MS platformer (alongside the definitive Castle of Illusion, two Wonderboys and Miracle World, imo).  Great big sprites, good music, decent punch or downward plunge basics, two characters that alter level layouts slightly, a fairly long quest and an unusually strong hidden secrets game.  This was primo tail-end 8-bit goodness and all things considered it holds up very well indeed.  Inside the octopus has a special place in my heart as an all-timer eyesore, I love it.  93%

Even the emulator struggled with it at some points, causing extra slowdown in places and thus proving that it's still too powerful for modern technology, obvs.  Changing to a US ROM helped, for some reason. 

509f733623dfb2d5807fdb9c251ebebb.gif
  • Yeah it’s still really good and absolutely up there with the best 8-bit platformers.
  • 32. Astro Bot: Rescue Mission - PS4 (6hrs)

The best thing about having a new used PS4 is being able to revisit my favourite PSVR offerings.  In early 2019 I went with...
    Easily one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had, and to think I was secretly mocking VR up to a few weeks ago.  Phenomenally inventive, beautifully presented corridor platformer (think Sly Racoon or Super Magnetic Neo for better examples than Crash Bandicoot) with a massive twist.  'Be the camera' isn't going to shift units, but don't knock it until you've tried it.  Great visuals, quality sound design and music, terrific stage layouts, inventive item mechanics, old-school screen-filling pattern bosses, well spaced checkpoints, replayability, post credits longevity (challenge mode), perfect movement controls (which sounds simple, but think how many games have got this wrong over the years), buckets of charm and bundles of character - it doesn't put a foot wrong for my money.  The best exclusive on PS4, it's mere inches away from a ten.  Exquisite craftsmanship, sequel please.  [9]
    Which all sounds about right to me, but for some reason I'm finding myself leaning towards top marks on reappraisal.  It's the sort of endlessly delightful package that might spring to mind when you think of The Full Nintendo, but in reality it surpasses the vast majority of even their very best offerings over the years.  This is Galaxy 2/Mario Odyssey platinum standard platforming.  Every zone is polished to perfection and everything it throws at you is a success.  Nothing is half baked and the whole shebang just oozes class, from Astro shielding his eyes in bright light to the incidental animations and routines of your lost crewmates.  It's a touch on the short side, which is a shame given how utterly fantastic it all is, but you try playing with a euphoric 6yr old who holds her breath when waves submerge the screen and tell me it's not a perfect game.  [10] 

Worth the price of PSVR, even if you only ever play the one thing.

FeminineWeeklyGuillemot-size_restricted.gif
  • Can't wait to play that one!  Picked up the free copy and it's sitting in my library, taunting me.  Holding out buying the VR kit in case Sony announces a revised model soonish though.  

RE Jon's Playroom notes, it's an awesome little game!  Had a quick go on the weekend, just a couple of time trials, and the only disappointment is I've not played any other PS5 games that make full use of the new controller gimmicks.  I really hope they don't get forgotten about over time.

Persona 5 Strikers (PS5) 8/10

This is a lovely little (er, it's still 50 odd hours) addition to the main game.  Even though it's now a beat em up there's lots of story and hanging out with mates to be done, plus it looks and sounds just like Persona.  The story's not an all time classic or anything and I think it does tread old ground a little but the gang are a joy to hang out with and I'd absolutely play a Strikers 2.

The fighting was my biggest reservation coming in, I've never gotten into your Dynasty Warriors games and this did take a minute to click, but once it did, it was really fun stuff.  There's a lot going on and, for a while, it's hard to know if you should be attacking, dodging, using magic, swapping between characters, using the environment etc etc... but before long it starts making sense.  As the game goes on there are some pretty intricate fights which are a joy to figure out and pull of.

The big thing I did miss from the Persona games was deciding how you'd like to spend your free time.  This is a lean story over a short period of time so you don't really get to hang out with non essential characters.  Made it feel like I was rushing through the game, even though that wasn't the case.  There's not much fan service for that kinda thing either; I was hoping to coincidentally bump into like Ms Kiwakami while shopping in Kyoto or some shit. 

I did like the fighting but I think it could have done with a couple of revisions.  Like you can recharge your magic points at checkpoints, but you have to leave the dungeon to do it.  There's no penalty to leaving the dungeon, and the only reason not to do it is if you don't walk to look at loading screens.  Why not just recharge automatically?  Also for big boss fights, if you don't have the right characters selected you really have a choice between an arduous war of attrition where you waste your items and time, or letting it kill you and reselecting a good team before battle.  I wish it let you switch out characters during a fight.  

Not that big a deal; I didn't have too many problems with the game.  Impressed.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • @Wario - they announced PSVR 2 recently. Don’t know much other than what the new controllers are like and that the new headset uses a single wire setup. Unlikely to be out any time soon, though. Late 2021 / early 2022 maybe...
  • Cheers mate - I'll keep an eye out for preorders
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 33. Thumper VR - PS4 (5hrs)

Another revisit of a game comfortably in my all-time top 20, in this case with the headset on for the first time.  In 2017 I wrote:
    34. Thumper - Switch

Outstanding.  There's pretty much nothing I didn't like about it.  As a test of memory/rhythm/reflexes that can be enjoyed in either short bursts or full sessions it's practically peerless, so I'm gonna add a point to the score and award it a perfect [10] as a handheld game, or a [9] in home console/PC guise.  It's tough; I struggled here and there, but in those moments I hated myself more than the game.  It's tricky enough - and enjoyable - to just make it to the credits, but there's huge scope for improvement and score chasing so it's got the lot, Trials style.  Then there's the Game+ mode, which sounds like serious business with the speed up thing & extra multipliers.  I expected/hoped to like it, but I'm surprised how much I love it.  Best game on the Switch, best game of 2017.  BOSSES.
    An extra point for handheld play eh?  If I agree with the thought process of younger me I guess that means the VR version would have to be a [10] too, as it adds to the enjoyment a smidge.  The virtual reality trappings aren't essential by any means - you're still playing exactly the same game - but it does add a welcome layer of immersion (and makes the timings a touch easier I reckon, unless I retained some of my skills).    

It's absolutely not for everyone, given that you could boil a description down to 'rhythmic runner', but if you're content in the (blissfully repetitive) 'Thumper zone', so to speak, there are few games that can touch it.  Imagine an imaginary VR game from an early 90s tech-bandwagon film where the whizzkid character has to hone his skills in virtual reality for some sort of irl tunnel run climax, and that's pretty much exactly what it is, albeit with greater emphasis on audio syncing than you would've had at the time.  Old school score chasing with less-is-more mechanics at eyebleeding speed - only Jackson Keen can handle the rush (but he's just a kid!).  

The boss loops are particularly strong, bonus points for the way they break the game up.  I'm still not sure if the giant weevils are necessary or unnecessary, but all other hazards are excellent.  After two runthroughs I maintain that the audio sync merely compliments the on-screen action rather than dictating it (Syph mentioned a tell on the tunnel sounds, but I don't hear a Go Left or Go Right noise, or a sound that would give you enough time to react), but it's all seamlessly interwoven and certainly assists with timings.  It's hard to fault, and in terms of doing what it does to near-absolute perfection it's close enough to the likes of Tetris to break social distancing regulations. Topical! [9.5]  

giphy.gif
  • Couldn’t get on with Thumper. Just one that isn’t for me. Not even in gameplay, which was fine and solid. But the graphics and soundtrack were toxic to me. I get stressed playing it.
  • 22. Another World (MD)
    Disappointingly, it plays like total dog shit. Flashback is stiff and unwieldy as well but miles better than this. You’ve got to jump about a half a second before you think you have to. The shooting is bad. The shield and shooting and megashot interplay is a decent idea but you need your man to be more manoeuvrable. You're getting shot at from both sides sometimes so you've got to balance shields and megashots to kill their shields, and small steps are needed to get your gun past your shield so you can shoot. All the while, they're closing in on you and you've got the turning speed of a bus, your standard walk is painfully slow and the run has way too long a stride to be useful in those situations. Fiddly and unsatisfying. 

The trial and error gameplay is quite tedious as well. Most of the puzzles don't quite work. I knew mostly what I had to do but found executing it was, not fun. You kill a guard but you needed him to throw a bomb at you before killing him to bust open a floor so you've got to kill yourself and do the sequence again. I got sick of dying so unashamedly used a walkthrough for the final 5 minutes or so to get the sequence of things I needed to do. 

It was never really about the game though, more the cinematics. But I don’t even think that stuff has aged especially well. I had a look at the Anniversary edition on youtube and think that probably makes some of it, especially the character sprites, look even worse. They get away with it more when it's fuzzier. It's all pretty charmless though. The big alien guys are almost slapstick sometimes, which I don't think they were going for. 

It's still ok. I can't hate it. I still love the opening first ten minutes or so. It does the thing I like of telling the story in the game and has some memorable bits that you can't help but admire. A bit like Dragon's Lair, it deserves its place in the game animation textbooks, but probably best left in the past by everyone else. 
    63%
    oy3W3Td.mp4
  • I think some of the best modern games have roots that can be traced back to Another World (Inside and other cinematic puzzle platformers), but yeah that all sounds about right. If you can emulate it you should give Heart of Darkness a go (and then still me of its any good because I still haven't played it).
  • I’ve actually just installed a load of PS1 games, including HoD, on the Vita. Well, hacked onto the PSP emulator inside the Vita. Never played it either.
  • Might be a good one for the retro club thread, it'll be easy enough to add to my PS Mini library. Will suggest once DKC winds down.
  • I can go along with that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    5. Doom 64 (PC) - 15hrs - [7]

Great nostalgia trip. Not for this game specifically, but for Doom in general. I missed this when I had my N64, but always loved Doom on PC. Nice combination of puzzles (some obscure solutions in there) and blasting demons. It was gonna get an 8 or 9, but the last boss was bullshit. Solution? 
    Spoiler:
  • 13. The Last Campfire [5]
    It's all very nicely presented and the structure of semi-open areas with puzzles to find and solve is one I can appreciate. But the puzzles are really quite dull, with an array of block rolling and switch pulling that I've seen in some form or another before. Few of them put up much of a fight either. In some cases it's hard not to solve them just by moving a few pieces around. I know it's supposed to be gentle and soothing, but you've got to liven things up now and again. Still, I stuck around, so I guess that counts for something. It's pleasant enough to drift through enjoying the scenery and the occasional bit that does keep you guessing for a while.

5 is a bit mean, but I'm sticking with it because they should have done more with this.
  • 34. New Super Luigi Bros U Deluxe - Switch (5-6hrs)

On paper this could've been my perfect 2D Mario as it merges the undeniably excellent platforming you'd expect from the series with a touch of the masocore checkpoint types, but a few trivialities held it back.  It's a Wii U dlc port, but NSMBU Deluxe was a full price release and it should have been refined further than it was imo - the save system and finite lives make progression unnecessarily annoying.  I don't tend to care too much about load times, but instant restarts are an absolute must in assault course platformers - and this doesn't have them.  It doesn't have checkpoints either, so dying at any point in a level (or boss, if the stage has one) boots you back out to the map screen, which constitutes unwanted thumb twiddle time and doesn't strike me as acceptable these days.  Plus if you run out of lives between castles your progress won't be saved.  It has a quick save system, but big whoop as that doesn't alleviate the lives thing, it just suspends the action and disappears once you resume, like sleep mode with the ability to change games.     

Enough moaning though, on to the juicy bits: It really is an excellent platformer.  Most stages give you a 100 second time limit, which makes the optional three coin quest extra tricky (I assume, lel).  The courses themselves are very well designed, with a couple of deaths under your belt you can really tear through them.  Luigi controls slightly differently from Mario too, and his extra airtime makes it feel quite different.  There are plenty of secrets - presumably - but I only fancied dashing through it to see what it was all about.  As a single player experience I found it better than a straight run through the main game, and also the pre-loaded sp stages in Mario Maker 2.  It wasn't too difficult either, which was a relief as I'm not particularly good at Mario games.  For a certain type of fan willing to forgive the aspects that should have been consigned to the past, I'd wager this could be an absolute belter.  For me, it's a strong [8] and possibly my favourite 2D Mario after SMW.  If only Nintendo had spruced it up a bit more for rerelease in 2019 - a few very minor tweaks would've gone a long way.

ArtisticHarmoniousAmericancreamdraft-max-1mb.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oof harsh from Jon

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!