52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • 18. Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)
    Starts off ok but goes the full nob halfway through its three and a half levels. Had this at the time and remembered the first couple of levels. Then there’s a stupid skyscraper climbing bit with stuff being dropped from above that is impossible to dodge (without save states). No familiarity with the game after so that was probably as far as I got. Then a piss easy boss, then a piss easy final level then a dreaded cunt from hell as the final boss which I’m going to go out on a limb and say is uncompletable without modern assistance. You’ve got to dodge between a load of fireballs and the hit zones are well off. Tiny little spaces to jump through, seemingly no method of ensuring you don’t get trapped by them and even if you dodge properly it might still decide you haven’t and take off 3/4 of your life.

Plays alright aside from the difficulty spikes. I like the bits that aren't shit. Straightforward 8-bit run and slash 'em up but your man is nice and fluid. Two tracks in the whole game. Both good though.
    64%
  • Was ready to start wagging the finger but I've just realised the GG and MS versions were different. MS Ninja Gaiden is very good, you should try that if you haven't already.
  • I've just had a look and yeah it's completely different. MS looks more like the NES ones. I'll put it on the list.
  • I was about to start wagging the finger then realised he reviewed Ninja Garden and not the GG Shinobi.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Are you building slowly towards Cyber Shadow?

Ninja Senki DX was an 8-bit imitator from a few years back that I enjoyed (but Muzzy hated because he got bullied by the last boss). Very basic but enjoyably so, it's better than most genuine 8-bit examples of the genre.
  • 10 Second Ninja X is well worth a look too, nostalgia goggles not required. Ninja platform puzzler with a ten second limit to each stage and one to three stars dished out depending on how quickly you manage each one. Well designed and very precise, enjoyed that on Vita.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Citation needed

(Or at least, I vaguely remember it, but not wholly, and would like my Just Completed / Just Given Up On to nudge my memory...)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ahaha lol
  • [9] is a fully moronic score in hindsight.
  • I stand by my [8] for Everybody's Gone to the Rapture though.
  • Ninja Seki was decent, yeah. More like a 7.

I really enjoyed 10 Second Ninja though. Mainly because of that super-condensed format. Even I can string together just under 10 seconds of skilful play.
  • Wow, am I still on just one game so far? ‘Game’. No way I’m gonna match last year’s 19. 

Guess I could count the following due to spending so much time on them:
    Slay the Spire (again)
    Smash Ultimate (with kids)
    Street Fighter V (started playing again)

Will finish SM3DW with kids at some point soon. And will count Hades once I’ve gotten my first clear but StS taking up all my Switch time.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    http://thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/1490288#Comment_1490288

[4]. Seems legit. Moot full moran, Jon semi moran.
  • Not sure about Cyber Shadow. Had a very quick blast of the first level on gamepass. Seems decent but dunno. This whole genre is a bit of a tightrope for me between enjoyment and out-of-the-blue ramp ups in difficulty that break it. Even with cheating, it becomes no fun at that point. Ninja Five-O stayed more or less balanced all the way to the end. Given up on a couple of Shinobis recently because they don’t. Ninja Senkai looks like it’s on the wrong side of that. I’ve played a bit of 10 second ninja on the Vita and that seems good. Nice mix of puzzling thrown in there and the built-in check pointing.

Same thing with scrolling shooters really. Game play exactly what I want but then sooner or later it’s a rote-learning nightmare (or brute force state-loading to power through).
  • Interesting. I thought Ninja Cop was quite tricky but the repeat 'em up types tend to feel easier for me, even though they're not, as the restart points are often far more generous.
  • While we're on ninja platformers, this one looks good to me but I've never been quite ready to pay  £13 to find out.  It's currently £9 though..

• 19. The G. G. Shinobi (Game Gear)
    I'm pretty sure I still own this cart. For whatever reason, the Game Gear is the only thing that survived my Dad's car-boot culling of my childhood. So complete guilt-free cheating here because I know I've sunk the hours into this before. It's good but it's tough as old boots. You can play any of the first four levels immediately, then onto the last one once you've done all of them. Only the default first level is mild and then they step up into tough, then the last level is a nightmare maze of experimentation, back-tracking, wrong doors taken and death. The Megaman structure is really decent, and it makes the levels and gameplay nice and varied. It does the Shinobi thing of giving you the time you need to react but not a split second more. 

They've really put a lot of time and care into this, unlike Ninja Gaiden which felt quickly shat out. They've done their best at bringing in the MD Revenge look into the graphics, they don't have the pixels to work with but it's a good effort. Strong soundtrack. The bosses are a slight weak point as they're considerably easier to deal with. I managed to work out cheesing methods for a couple of them straight off the bat. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. It's too brutal really. There's a million ways to die instantly, some of the enemies are an absolute nightmare. The design really shines through though. It's constantly changing and evolving as you progress through. Half-tempted to play through the levels in a different order to see how they pan out. Not going to though. 
    86%
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    7. Spider-Man: Miles Morales.
    I was a huge fan of the first game - suspect it ended up in my top 5 of that year- in a large part because it does the "doable" open world checklist. It was entirely possible to 100% it, without having to shoot pigeons or the like.

I was a little surprised when I came away from Miles Morales this afternoon loving it more. Miles is just a better character than Peter, the story, although still focused around major destruction potentially happening in Manhattan, feels far more personal - the writing is far snappier and a line from Miles' Mum set me off to tears yesterday. Flora rightly laughed at me.

I know there was a lot around this game in terms of its length - was it DLC or a full game? It feels like a full game to me. I got 100%, although not every trophy (got the gold 100% one though) and that probably took around 15 to 18 hours, which felt great. I didn't feel a grind, and part of me wants to fire up NG+ to get the last upgrades.

Just a delight, and I wish I had played it at Christmas because of the snowy vibes of it all. Highly, highly recommended.
  • I'm considering bypassing Spiderman to play Morales when I get a PS5. I don't like to overdo it with open world games and 8-10hrs to non hundo enjoy it appeals.
  • I enjoyed what I played of Spiderman but my PS4 was dying by the time I started it and a big crash wiped my (minimal) progress.
  • I found miles morales (game) really frustrating and annoying. It’s another one of those stories where everyone is too rushed to do anything but in game you have characters waiting around forever. I think it’s a consistent bugbear of mine where massive conflicts are generated where a hug or listening would suffice and this is one of those. It was so annoying. Layered on that was the bloated mission structures (both in the numbers but also the missions themselves).

I quite liked some bits of it - miles morales interactions in his community were really nice and saving those locals was warm.

I just came here to see what Jon said about ghost but to see Moot wavering I thought I’d pitch in.

Just to contribute something good to this thread but I played and finished gnosia. It’s a really interesting twist on the traditional visual novel style game by actually having a game in there (you still press A a lot). The game in question is the werewolf or resistance card game where there are hidden enemies. I think the game does a fantastic job of some how conveying this idea of getting to know people better (through RPG stats and pattern regonition - when does this guy pipe up etc) into something that feels like a decent simulation of using deduction to wheel out the liars and hiding to avoid being caught.

After a while thought the game switches gear into a more visual novel territory (ie once you’re aware of people and charismatic enough you can basically control a round like a puppet master) and you look for story beats by forcing certain events to happen and that is kind of cool too.

I quite enjoyed all of the characters and the story is a really cool one with some nice “what is really going on here” elements.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Theres like 10 main missions in the game, none of them more than about 30 minutes long. I'm not sure that's bloated to me, felt absolutely right. If you wanna get into side quests / collectibles, fair enough, but can't say that felt excessive.

The one bit I didn't like was the late game enemy hideouts. I was done with them following the first one, and I've had enough of the Arkham style combat puzzles. Plus, due to Miles' invisibility, it just becomes, perch takedown, kick in auto invisibility, get another 1-2, wait for it to recharge.

The FNSM app was a delight, and the actual side stories are lovely, especially, the collectible post-credits.
  • It's unlikely I'll do any side quests, I only did two or three in RDR2 iirc. I want the game that gives me the best experience for story hopping, especially as I plan to do the same with Tsushima soonish.
  • It might have been the “finish all the extra parts before the main part” in these games that did me in. The missions at the end might have coloured my overall impression of the game.

There were a couple of odd choices that made me extrapolate maybe the whole game was like this but closing three valves or chasing three birds just felt excessive.
  • 27. Fury Unleashed - Switch (5hrs+)

In my still limited experience, roguelikes tend to build magical things on top of rock solid foundations.  It's very rare to find one that isn't on point on terms of the movement/shooting or whathaveyou.  Fury Unleashed gets the basics right, but the layers of intricacy are fairly restrained.  This suits my taste, and I'm learning enough about the style of games to identify the chunky luddite types to play.  This one's a slightly floaty twin stick platform shooter with a double jump, a mid-air dash, a sprint, a melee attack, a stomp, a two weapon limit and 'nades.  It plays exactly how you'd assume it would at a glance or from that description, but adds a combo system that rewards you for barrelling through the screens to maintain any chain kills perks.  The action is framed as pages from a comic, with randomised rooms generating at the start of each chapter.  You begin in the top left of the map, and the bottom right frame progresses to the next set (or boss).  As you play you'll earn XP which can be spent on a skill tree.  The more you play the more weapon sets unlock.  So far so le shrug in terms of doing anything new, and that's all it aims for really - a strong run & gun shoehorned into a perfectly serviceable roguelike set-up.  There are four comics to play, and if you defeat the three bosses at the end of each (which will require three successful runs) you can choose to start at the next one.  It also has difficulty sliders, which I'm a big fan of in these things as they take the sting out of the learning process.  

It looks fine - in an 'I guess' kind of way - and it sounds okay.  Guns make all the right noises and stages are tidy enough, but you wouldn't hang the art on your living room wall.  It makes some mistakes, chiefly the inability to remap controls, which was a huge problem with weapon swap for me as it's assigned to a click of the analogue stick used for aiming.  I would've had a much smoother ride if I'd been allowed to move the weapon change to the dpad - accidentally swapping to a weak sub-weapon during more or less every busier boss encounter was infuriating, but I suppose my now piss-weak JoyCons are partly to blame.  Also there's maybe not quite enough incentive to explore as opposed to pushing on, but perhaps that comes into play on higher difficulties.      

It's good (there's a chance it approaches superb in co-op), but the weapon switch pad complaint is enough to keep my final score down to a very strong [7].  

Fury-Unleashed-gameplay.gif
  • 20. The Secret of Monkey Island (SCUMM VM)
    They don’t make them like this anymore. Although I haven’t played Thimbleweed Park. Maybe they do. They probably shouldn’t if they do.

Impossible to judge this objectively. Obviously dated but in a million ways I don’t care about. This got some full on belly laughs out of me. Computer games don’t do that. Straight onto 2 so if I’ve got anything worth saying I’ll save it for that.
    [97%]
  • Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!