52 Games a Year 2021 Edition/ Game Record 2021:
  • 8. Wave Race: Blue Storm (GameCube) - 4hrs 15mins 

God I miss the Nintendo that used to make games like this.

I bloody love this series, and whilst I still prefer the original on N64 this is possibly the better game.

A boost meter, not to dissimilar from the one in F-Zero games, was the main addition to this entry. It adds an extra little element of strategy to the races, with a good risk/reward balance.

There's also the weather, sounds like a small thing to bring up but it really makes a difference in this, race in a storm and the waves are much higher and harder to manage. 

What's cool is the game gives you a weather forecast and you get to choose what race you enter on each day. Choosing the courses you have the most trouble with on clear and sunny days can make a real difference to your chances of success in the tournament overall.

I'd love a new entry in the series, even a best of with all the tracks/characters from 64 and this would do. Spruce up the graphics etc and add online play and I'd be very happy.

Excellent game.

9/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • It's a gratuirous freebie (imo!) considering they usually charge full whack for Wii U ports. NSMBU had very little added. £45 pls. Bayonetta 2 had nothing added (iirc?). £50 was it? MK8 came bundled with the DLC but it wasn't much of a deluxe package. Toad was a smidge cheaper but it was barbones at launch. I'm not usually one for giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt with 'generosity', but they earned a thumbs up here for BF and online functionality for 3DW.

Edit: Tropical Freeze too. Funky Kong was a neat addition for kids but it was still a nothing update at full price.
  • As far as the freebie comment goes, I put it in italics. 

Is that not an acceptable equivalent to exaggerated quotation marks? As in free but not free.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As far as the freebie comment goes, I put it in italics. 

Is that not an acceptable equivalent to exaggerated quotation marks? As in free but not free.

Sorry, that's on me. I'm just done with a tough day in school with vulnerable kids so should have probably re read my post.

Apologies.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It's a gratuirous freebie (imo!) considering they usually charge full whack for Wii U ports. NSMBU had very little added. £45 pls. Bayonetta 2 had nothing added (iirc?). £50 was it? MK8 came bundled with the DLC but it wasn't much of a deluxe package. Toad was a smidge cheaper but it was barbones at launch. I'm not usually one for giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt with 'generosity', but they earned a thumbs up here for BF and online functionality for 3DW.

NSMU had the Luigi DLC, I think Toad had extra levels but I'm not 100%. The Bayonetta's definitely has sod all though.

Nintendo are the worst admittedly, but I have had the same on PS4 from PS3. God of War III didn't add anything akaik and The Last of Us Remastered only included DLC like NSMBU/MK8. The Uncharted's were in a nice Trilogy Collection thankfully though.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly wrote:
    As far as the freebie comment goes, I put it in italics.  Is that not an acceptable equivalent to exaggerated quotation marks? As in free but not free.
    Sorry, that's on me. I'm just done with a tough day in school with vulnerable kids so should have probably re read my post. Apologies.

No need to apologise.

Was a serious question in a sense though. Is... "this" the same as this ?

Hard to get your point across in text sometimes.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • So it did, forgot about the Luigi thing. Which I might play soon come to think of it. I thought the extra Toad levels were added post launch but could be wrong. I don't agree with the pricing of these things in general, all older 'ultimate' style rereleases should be cheaper (I reckons), but I'm pleased that they've taken a big step in the right direction with 3DW.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    You're fully correct in that you put it as an italic "freebie" but I guess I am just done with Nintendo spitting old games back at me. Of course, as a hound, I'm replaying everything, but I was really done specifically with Pikmin 3, where, because I knew what to do, I think I cleared the game in about 5 hours.

It was a mega disappointment.

I do think Bowser's Fury is good, and I do like the change in how it is presented, it just isn't fully there.
  • All good.

I think we all agree on Bowser's anyway. Good, ultimately lacking but has the potential with a full budget.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As I mentioned, 3D World did not quite wow me as the others did, and ice been digging into 3D Land which is an incredible amount of inventiveness.
  • 9.The Medium - 8 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox Series X

10.Little Nightmares 2 - 6 Hours - 7/10 - Xbox Series X

11.Ailment - 3 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox Series X

12.Endurance - 4 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox Series X

13.Mafia: Definitive Edition - 12 Hours - 7/10 - Xbox Series X

14.Mafia 2: Definitive Edition - 10 Hours - 5/10 - Xbox Series X

15.Mafia 3: Definitive Edition - 12 Hours - 10/10 - Xbox Series X
  • 6: God Of War ‘18 (PS5) - 10/10

GOW’s about a good as a violent single player adventure game can get.  Even with all the cloven heads and ripped-off jaws you get a pretty touching story too.  

It’s really good at making sure you’re not bored, swapping between violence, exploring, puzzles and story bits at just the right moment. Also there’s heaps of optional stuff (I did most of it on PS4, this time I mostly stuck to the main path).  

There’s always something cool and new to see.  At he same time it’s relatively restrained and saves a lot of the better known Norse stuff for the sequels.  

Really hard game to fault.  In fact my main negative thought while playing was directed at the PS5!  This 3 year old PS4 game looks as good as anything out on PS5 at the moment.  I don’t care if Assassin’s Creed Valhalla has a bigger world with more things going on, it looks way shittier than GOW!  This is really the least exciting new generation of hardware so far.  Er but yeah GOW is still awesome 10/10
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agree with all of that Wario, except the PS5 is a much better experience with this game than the PS4. The 4K/60 and lack of fan noise are great improvements that make a great game just that bit better.

But definitely the artists on this game are amazing. Don’t know if it won awards but it deserved to.
  • God of War and The Last of Us 2 have such huge wow factors.  And Red Dead 2, and Horizon: Zero Dawn (especially before dawn; the nightime visuals are superb).  I'm just listing stuff now but bear with me - FH4, Death Stranding.  LUSHO.  Has anyone taken a look at either of these two recently?

I swear both of these would have whoopgoons seal-clapping at an E3 conference if they were all-new Series X/PS5 trailers.  Both games are far more limited in terms of scope than like likes of AC Valhalla as Wario says, but: look at dem gwfx.  I'm up for the next gen and will join imminently, and I'm not knocking anyone who's gone full moran with all the gear or anything like that - why wait? The consoles won't drop in price any time soon - but I do think it's a lamest excuse for a gen jump we've ever had.  There's nothing on the horizon that looks super extra head-wobblingly gorgeous imo (even the next Horizon, which does look gorgeous but is also coming to PS4 in what I thought was one of the most unexpected developments in recent gaming years), but there are games on the shelves for the last round of consoles that do.  

I guess this boils down to: wasn't the PS4/Bone gen lovely, the next one has a tough act to follow.  

Hugely contradicting my 'games are the only thing I give a shit about' post from 20 mins ago in the PS5 thread here. :eyes:
  • I thought the jump from PS3 to PS4 was bad tbh, by far the shortest leap... up until then.

I'm with moot and wario on the jump to PS5, graphically I can't even tell the difference.

When they were doing that slide from PS4 to PS5 versions of FFVII, about half the time I preferred the PS4 visuals.

TVs seem to have just as much to do with it as the actual consoles these days.

I didn't get a PS4 until about 2 years after release, I've got a feeling the PS5 will be much longer especially considering my PS4 Pile O Shame.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    PS5 isn't as much about the graphics, as general performance. Those rock solid frame rates, fast loading times and quiet console, along with what I think is the best controller I've used, definitely make it worth the investment. And once the cross-get is out of the way, and Unreal 5 starts to filter down, I think we'll be seeing even more amazing performance.

No way TLoU2 graphically could be done on PS3 and so it will go.
  • Yeah in the long run it does become apparent, but we're talking that wow factor leap from past gens.

The last couple generations simply haven't had it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • We will have diminishing returns from now.  Already happened and still happening
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yep, the last noticeable leap was 360 imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I did a post about this a while back, but I can't remember where I put it (or if I even ended up posting it). Basically since the 360 it's all looked like one big generation that improves steadily to me, rather than something you could identify with performance spikes based on software. You'd struggle to Pepsi challenge the generational leaps based on latter cycle vs early cycle visuals, and this is especially true of upcoming SeriesX/PS5 games imo.
  • Agreed
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Lots of agreement here.

Really surprised with how good that Quantum Break trailer looks.

Don't get me wrong the PS4 to PS5 updates have really impressed me (like I get genuinely happy when one of my games gets an update announcement).  Guess I'm just hoping for some big showoff game to come out, where they have to drop it down to 1080p/30FPS to run, even if it's a bit rubbish.  Some level with Pantine hair models in a wind tunnel having a shootout with flare guns, shit like that.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Thought I was already in this thread but it seems not. Anyway, I’ll use this post. Gonna try and finish games this year - or rather, see as much as I want of them until I’m done.

Games “Completed”:

1. Destiny 2: Beyond Light
    2. Detroit: Become Human
    3. Control
    4. Rise of the Tomb Raider
    5. Bugsnax
    6. Danganronpa
    7. Danganronpa 2
    8. The Last Campfire
    9. Oxenfree
    10. Donut County
  • I bought Danganronpa in the PSN sale! Looking forward to them.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Enjoy - they’re great.
  • Updated to include Oxenfree.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I played Danganronpa 1 and 2 before 3 came out and then 3 was £50 and I was all "gettoutahere" and now I want to play 3. I know it's regularly on sale on steam for like £15 but maaannn
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I played Danganronpa 1 and 2 before 3 came out and then 3 was £50 and I was all "gettoutahere" and now I want to play 3. I know it's regularly on sale on steam for like £15 but maaannn

On sale on PSN right now too. Let’s face it, what could be a better test of the PS5?
  • What did you think of Oxenfree? Was really disappointed with Afterparty and ditched it after a couple of hours.
  • I really didn’t like it. Got so fed up that I tried to end the game as soon as possible and when I realised the game wouldn’t let me, I refused to engage in any dialogue with the characters for the last hour (it made no difference and they didn’t acknowledge this in the slightest).

The dialogue system was cute at first but I didn’t enjoy the slow walking through the areas. They just weren’t very interesting and yeah...I’m surprised I bounced off it as hard as I did.

Still glad I played it, though. Just about.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!