2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • 95. Super Punch Patrol - Switch (70mins)

Stylised scrolling beat 'em up from the creator of the Gunman Clive games (and also the under-appreciated Mechstermination Force).  It revisits the Gunman Clive sketch aesthetic but applies it to a Streets of Rage/Final Fight clone rather a scrolling shooter.  Basic stuff, more than a little annoying in places, but serviceable enough.  It launched at £4.49, so it's well in budget territory.  As usual with this sort of thing it'd be worth a crack in two player.  Normal difficulty is far too tricky though, even genre vets will run out of credits before the end and I'm not convinced practice would make perfect with some of the enemy types.  Easier settings just up the available lives/credits rather than making the brawling any less irritating (it's also quite satisfying, but maybe that's just me; I can't get enough of the genre this year).  Bang average but not without merit, lovely visuals for a start.  [5]

• I finally ‘finished’ another ‘game’!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 13. Telling Lies (Switch) - 22/9 - 4hrs
    I love piecing a story together, bit by bit. This had a good story and interesting characters, but I didn’t enjoy the task of going through the files as much this time round. I liked Her Story better.
    [7]
  • I'm intrigued by it but it's been a struggle to get my wife to commit to a third attempt to piece it together. Probably because we achieved more during the first go than the second. It's a shame Her Story isn't on consoles, I would've gone for that first.
  • I got over 2/3 of the clips during the playthrough and having read up on the story, it doesn't seem like I missed much of importance.  Not bothered about seeing the further 2 'endings'.
  • 36.Crysis Remastered - 10 Hours - 5/10 - Xbox One X

What a technically borked release. Right from the off problems everywhere. Poor framerate whatever you do, mixed options present mixed problems, bad enough on a PC but on a console it’s just a joke. This will very probably be the last of my money Crytek will get unfortunately as I don’t know how they dared release it.

Aside from that, when you can get it just about running, there’s a good game buried in there but to be honest it shows it’s age in so very many ways and without the incredible looks wow factor it’s just a half decent game.

Nostalgia has added at least 3 points to the score.
  • 96. Graceful Explosion Machine - Switch (4hrs)

Top notch Fantasy Zone wrap around screen style shooter.  Tapping L1 changes your craft's direction, R1 dashes (during which you can safely pass through enemies but not bullets), and within a handful of stages you'll have learned how to use all four weapons.  The main cannon overheats with overuse and the other three weapons need some juice in the special gauge to fire.  Laser beam is relatively weak but focused with a long range, the spinning hammer is great for fending off enemies that stray too close (plus crucially destroys incoming fire) and the powerful missiles give it an almost Bangai-O feel at times.  Enemies drop yellow crystals which recharge your special bar but disappear very quickly, so there's a clear risk/reward system to the shooting as you attack/flee and dash through crowds to grab crystals.  It's masterful really, one of those games where you feel in complete control of success or failure at all times, even when you're down to a slither of life.  There's not a whole lot to it but it's nigh on perfect at what it offers.  I paid £5 but I'd recommend this at full price, it's vastly superior to Black Bird and contains a challenge mode for those not content with reaching the credits.  Plus the scoring system is quite in depth and online leaderboards are included.  It's also one of those shmups that feels tricky as your progress - although the lives system does make it a tad easy - but revisiting earlier stages with extra nous will see you decimate the waves for A and S ranks.  As it should be. [8]

22a75ef396c464d0f8a153fb53996b05.gif
  • 97. Mantis Burn Racing - Switch (5hrs)

Was sifting through my indies last night, redownloaded this on a whim.  Turns out I didn't have far to go on my third rookie season, and there's absolutely no way I'm playing it for a further 15hrs+ to get through the Pro, Veteran & Elite seasons.  It's easy to moan about rubberbanding when it's overly pronounced in games like Hotshots, but when there doesn't appear to be any the flipside can be frustrating after a poor start too.  That's not to say I didn't like this (@stellavista), because the handling, drifting and racing is good, but getting through further difficulty levels would be far too much repetition for me.  The events go on for ages and even though there's an attempt to add variety with time trials, endurance races and whathaveyou, it's pretty samey throughout.  'A poor man's Motorstorm RC' would be a needlessly mean yet accurate enough assessment.  It's decent though; it runs well, looks good and has plenty of multiplayer options (including cross-platform online play and split screen), but it's all just stretched out way too thinly over the single player mode, plus it takes a while to tune your cars to the point where you could call them nippy.  I bet it's a cracking time trialer, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to offer the endless Motorstorm lap attempts.  A strong [6], I expect there's a lot of value here for some. 

AdoredDefinitiveHoverfly-size_restricted.gif
  • Must have played that Explosion machine demo four or five times. I think I decided to wait for a sale. Maybe I’ve bought it now. Can’t remember. It’s good though.
  • Not sure how much the demo lets you try but once a handful of different enemy types are in play it pushes from good to great.  I've been reading a few reviews this morning, nice to see it got some well deserved love at launch.
  • I like the look of Mantis Burn, real shame no one seems to be all that into it though.  Always had a soft spot for top down racing stuff (Probably goes back to Rock N Roll Racing) and wouldn't mind a good one on Switch.  Hopefully Circuit Superstars comes good, though the lack of buzz for it is getting a little concerning

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-11-circuit-superstars-is-a-wonderfully-dinky-motorsport-game-from-square-enix
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • It's all gone a bit quiet so maybe it's slipped to 2021, it certainly looks the part. There are quite a few on EShop but of varying quality of course, Mantis seems the most legit. There's a thread on here iirc but it never quite took off.

Micro Machines 2 and Motorstorm RC are the kings for me.
  • 25. Yoshi’s Crafted World (Switch)
    Spoiler:
  • I didn’t mean to spoil that and now I can’t clear it. Ah well.
  • Kirby has a similar vibe, have you tried that? Not games I'd enjoy solo but co-op made both worthwhile.
  • Yeah we’ve done the demo. That went down ok. It’s on the maybe pile. Probably going to give Captain Toad a try next as I’ve already spent money on it. We did a few levels of that about a year ago but the camera switching around and stuff was a bit too confusing for her at the time. Luigi’s Mansion is another maybe.
  • 98. Monkey Island 2: Lechuck's Revenge - Special Edition - Xbox One (4hrs)

The remaster was the first time I got to play Monkey Island 2 properly.  I used the hint system liberally on release (and again this weekend), so I definitely don't know it inside out like the first game.  It's tough to judge the puzzles in these things this way, because if you haven't sat there and smashed your head against a brick wall for hours many solutions can appear incredibly obtuse.  Spoilers ahead mateys: I'm not sure I would've known to look for books on voodoo or shipwrecks in the filing cabinet without hints, I almost certainly wouldn't have thought to pick up the dog unless I'd exhausted every other possible combination of everything everywhere, and the goddamn monkey wrench bit [sizeable yeesh meme].  Plus probably a few more.  I don't remember such Discworldy bits in the first game, but perhaps that's because I was far more tenacious as a kid.  Anyway, this is clearly a brilliant sequel on the whole.  The excellent island trifecta in act two really opens things up compared to the first game (which probably assisted with the feeling of being slightly overwhelmed), and it's easy to see why this is considered on par with or superior to the original.  It lacks a section as outright brilliant as the insult swordfighting, but the script is probably sharper on the whole.  "Natty dreads", lol.  The remaster sticks with the 'orrible style of the first SE, but it just about suits this one; it's less of an affront to the eyes for sure, and as usual the voicework is fun.  Special mention for the ending too, quality stuff.  

A slightly mean [8] overall then, I expect it'd be higher if I'd played this at the time but I jumped from the first game on my mate's Amiga (sleepovers until it was done) to the underrated third game on my sister's Mac.      

49d0fd76a12b75c27145514faf9e4721.gif
  • I’ve had the first two Monkey Islands on my replay list for ages now. They don’t really stand up as puzzle solvers from memory. They don’t have logical solutions. They come from walking around completely stuck and trying every combo with every item. They’re fun on replay (at least Day of the Tentacle was) because memory is giving you either the solutions or enough of an end point to make the leaps for yourself.
  • 44: Hades (Switch) 10/10

The cool kids are right - this is really, really good.  

It is a diablo 3 style rougelike and it is very polished and very moreish.  Try playing just 1 game.  Go on!

This is not much of a review because

a) I'm not done with it yet.  I've 'won' twice, but it turns out there's still millions of things to do.

b) I played it like an idiot - with the sound on mute, ignoring the story, and with youtube blaring in the background.

It turns out the story and audio have been very well received.  You should check out the thread here.  Everyone loves that stuff.

So I'll start the game from scratch and play it like an adult, after I've taken a break.  Why am I taking a break?  So I can get to 52 games for the year!  Games like Transformers War For Cybertron or some shit.

45: Transformers War For Cybertron (PC) 6/10

This is a brief little 3rd person shooter from a decade ago.  It's really average stuff.  I don't know how many times you walk into a large room and have to hold off 5 waves of enemies.  

It's Transformers, so it has a gimmick where you get to drive around a bit.  In practice this mostly just means there'll occasionally be a long corridor you'll have to drive down, in between the large rooms with the waves of enemies.  It's a short game but the levels just drag on.

The exception is when you get to play as the flying robots.  The levels completely change - you have dogfights, blow shit up, transform and have a regular shoot out.  They're really good stuff.

On PC it looks quite good for its age - everyone's a robot and they're supposed to look angular.  The levels look pretty dull and samey though. It sounds pretty good, and the story suits it - it's all very silly and their plans barely make sense but there's always something happening.

Not great but could've been a lot worse.  It's fine.  Whatever.

As an aside I am shocked no one has made a giant AAA Ubi style open world game about the transformers.  Like I'm sure it would turn out to be a nightmare of DLC robots and paint jobs but I reckon there's potential for something great for the fans there.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    b) for Bob, eh? Jesus fuck
  • So I'll start the game from scratch and play it like an adult, after I've taken a break.  Why am I taking a break?  So I can get to 52 games for the year!  Games like Transformers War For Cybertron or some shit.

I enjoy this thread, but that is the negative of it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 44: Hades (Switch) 10/10 The cool kids are right - this is really, really good.   

I wish I liked roguelikes, I just haven't got the time or drive to commit to them.  Or rather I have got time, but I prefer to spread that across multiple smaller, more straightforward titles rather than doing the big 30hr training montage thing (cue Elf).  Thing is though, roguelikes are mostly where it's at for the tight 2D gameplay & screen to screen goodness these days.  I nearly got on with Dead Cells, nearly.  It'd make such an excellent linear/single layout hack 'n slash game too, I'd love it.  See also: Gungeon - the top down shooter basics are top quality.

Scourge Bringer is the next one I'm going to try properly I think, the demo on Xbox recently was great.  One day I might get there, I used to bounce off the Metroidvanias and that's one of my favourite genres now.
  • Yeah I have the same issue with rogue-likes. At some point I’m going to commit to forcing myself into a solid 10 hours or so with Hades.
    It’s the ‘fuck you back to the start’ of it that I can’t quite get past. Even though you’re making progress it’s not the type I want. Once they get their hooks into you, they’re probably great.
  • The next Meat Boy is one too, annoyingly. Because everyone who liked SMB wants an autorunner roguelike sequel right? I'll play that I guess.
  • 46. Wave Race 64 (N64) - 2hrs  

Still one of my favourite ever racing games, has such a unique and satisfying feel, even the sequel didn't quite get it right.

Still play it every so often even 23 years after it's release, pure comfort gaming. I love it.

10/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 47. Two Crude (Arcade) - 45mins  

Slightly better than Bad Dudes Vs. DragonNinja, but ultimately still pish.

3/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • RE Roguelikes, I THINK I prefer just a standard story/arcade mode.  With that said, games like Hades and Slay the Spire have sucked my in like few others recently.  There's something to the format that keeps me wanting more, to the point I have to uninstall the game to avoid temptation.  

LOL I used to love the Two Crude Dudes box art on the Mega Drive!  Never actually played it, but it's a classic in my mind.

220px-Twocrude.jpg
  • 46: Super Mario 64 (Switch) 7/10
    I found this mostly interesting to see how well such an early 3D game holds up.  Aside from the infuriating camera and the old school 90's graphics this could come out today and be well received - Mario is fun to control, the levels are pretty diverse and well laid out, there's a good range of difficulty in finding the stars.

Awesome music too; I never owned this as a kid and barely played it but most of these tracks have been in my head for a couple of decades.  Quality stuff.

Those old graphics grew on me, the camera sent me mad, in fact I hated it more as the levels and challenges get harder.  I walked poor old mario off every skinny platform and long jumped him off into oblivion more times than I can count.

Would love to check out a full blown remake with Odyssey graphics and whatnot.  As it stands I'm glad to say I've beaten one of the classic games but will NEVER play it again.
  • Stone cold 10 for me, it's impact on me is to strong to shake off.

Interesting to see a modern take on it though, a 7 is respectable and probably fair in that regard.

The fact you think it could be well received with a lick of paint and improved camera is spot on and speaks volumes to how well it's aged at its core imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Absolutely, it's a really nicely laid out game - from the castle to the actual levels, figuring out how to get to particular places etc.  Always seems to reward you for trying something different and exploding.  It's amazing they could come up with all this on their first try.  It's just that camera holing it back!  Crazy.

Also forgot to mention how intuitive flying and swimming are. Mario's always a joy to control.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!