2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • 23. No Straight Roads [5]
    I thought this looked like it would be fun in a cheesy 90s sort of way. But while it gets the presentation right and has a suitably foot-tapping soundtrack, the actual game is pretty poor. The bits leading up to each boss battle feel like afterthoughts. The bosses are much more interesting, but let down by poor controls and visual confusion. Shame.
  • Off the list it goes, for now anyway. Liked the look of it but it launched at The Wrong Price.
  • 84. Wonder Girl: The Dragon's Trap - Switch (2hrs)

Fancied something familiar and short, this was perfect.  Didn't realise you could play as Wonder Girl, not that it makes a difference to the quest.  As I possibly mentioned last time I played the remake, it took a revisit to appreciate just how good this was for an 8-bit game.  I always preferred Monster Land on MS, and I probably still do (just), but it's remarkable how good this still is with absolute minimal tweaking to the gameplay (an easy mode has been added, which seems to reduce how much damage you take while dishing out more currency).  It looks fantastic, and a tap of the button screenwipes the whole thing back to 1989.  Modern/retro music and SFX can be toggled in the menu, as can CRT filters. Comfort blanket gaming. [9], all things considered.  

k14xzzshtbqj0ty9flel.gif
  • @Wariospeedwagon was it you that played Swords of Ditto in one of these threads?  Can't find it but someone reviewed it.
  • 32.Daymare - 3 Hours - 3/10 - Xbox One X

Fancied this so decided to give it a go for £15...just don’t. It’s abysmal. Looks awful, awful frame rate, awful enemies, script, everything really. In fact that’s about it. Just don’t. I just could not play anymore and deleted it from my HD and felt dirty. But not even in a good way, just muck dirty.
  • 85. Florence - Switch (35mins)

Short, but priced accordingly (and currently half price at £2.50).  I presume this was a mobile game at some point too.  It's a lovely little thing - an interactive snapshot of a brief but important period in the eponymous character's life.  It's best not to ruin anything when describing such a succinct experience, but there are some deft touches and enchanting sections.  I was happy to let Tilly play after I'd finished it.  Despite the fact that the main character is 25 when the game starts and it deals with the comparative mundanities of a young adult's life I thought it might be a nice experience for a 6yr old.  She loved it and I enjoyed watching her play such a nice game even more than I enjoyed playing such a nice game myself.  Next on the agenda is to watch her watching my wife play such a nice game.  Nice.  [8]

florence_motionposter_tagline.gif
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    @Wariospeedwagon was it you that played Swords of Ditto in one of these threads?  Can't find it but someone reviewed it.

Not me mate.  I like the look of it, good price at the moment, but I'm trying not to buy any new games before the new consoles come out.  You jumping on?
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • 40: International Cricket Captain 2006 (PC) - 6/10

My yearly thrashing of this is over.  I'm sick to death of it, for a while at least.

Only difference to my usual way of playing, I picked up my previous save.  Think I'm up to like 2045 or something.  It is a dystopian cricket future where there is only one keeper with a half decent batting average in the world.  Leicestershire have won like 30 County Championships.  One of my bowlers took so many first class wickets that his stats buggered up and reset to zero.  He is 40 and still kicking on.  

Most recently the random name generator threw up a South African batting prodigy called Gary Strydom.  I recruited him because there was an South African bodybuilder with the same name.  He is mostly well known nowadays for Vince McMahon from the WWF losing his s**t over him in this video clip.  Figured this was a good time to retire for another year.

Talk about stepping out for a night on the town.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    @Wariospeedwagon was it you that played Swords of Ditto in one of these threads?  Can't find it but someone reviewed it.

Not me mate.  I like the look of it, good price at the moment, but I'm trying not to buy any new games before the new consoles come out.  You jumping on?

I've had it for a while but haven't given it a proper go yet. Someone on here definitely finished it but the search isn't helping.
  • 86. Kentucky Route Zero - Switch (7-8hrs)

Narrative adventure that masquerades as a point and click to the untrained eye.  There's no [USE] [wax lips] on [sleeping dwarf] here though, as there's no inventory to speak of.  Gradual progression is the order of the day, so if you're looking for something challenging in a traditional sense you may well bounce off.  It flows along like some sort of Lynchian stage adaptation of a Flannery O'Connor inspired John Prine shroom dream, which means it's just about the most beautiful thing I've ever held a joypad to.  There were sections where even the feels had goosebumps, to the point where most other companies making walking sims and suchlike need to give their heads a damn good wobble.  I don't even necessarily mean feels in terms of where the story goes either; the whole thing just has this delicate overarching melancholy that resonated with my tastes completely.  Even when I wasn't reading about naked banjo players.   

Visual novel isn't a bad way to describe it as you'll read your way through five distinct acts, selecting dialogue choices that affect the journey rather than the destination, while taking in the glorious sights and sounds.  I can't do it justice really, so I won't bother hammering out paragraphs to explain something that should be experienced rather than described.  

I absolutely loved it and would place it alongside Melee to Monkey Island as the best trip in videogame history.  Wild. [9] 

13272giphy.gif
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    6. Lithium City (PC) - 4 hours

Beautiful looking cyberpunk-esque game mostly made by a one man team (other than the music).
    Isometric action in a Hotline Miami style, where you are probably going to fail a bit in some parts but you can just keep trying.
    Absolutely loved it for the most part EXCEPT for the final boss which was cheap as hell - it has 2 big attacks that basically can one shot you if you don't dodge them, and you have limited dodge ability until it recharges. PRoblem is it can use those attacks back to back leaving you no chance to avoid them.

I wanted to love it, and up until the final boss I really did, but given that the boss took me almost as much time to beat as the whole rest of the game, I can't give it more than a [7]
  • I like the look (and sound) of that. Hopefully it comes to consoles sooner or later.
  • 87. Aqua Kitty UDX - Switch (2hrs)

Definitely one of my favourite perennial cheapos.  Had a less snazzy version on Vita, think I gave it a [9] in one of these threads.  The bulk of the game is a very simple Defender homage played either solo or co-op (or for a more recent reference, think stripped down Resogun).  Shoot enemies with either your infinite popgun or slow recharging heavy/missile attack and stop them stealing kitties.  Go too far right on the map and you'll pop up on the left, small playing areas; you'll know the drill.  Well balanced and worth playing for fans of a good retro arcade experience.  This new version has had something called Dreadnaught mode added, which is what I played here.  Each level has a core which has to be activated by destroying enough blocks throughout the stage - then you can aggressively attack the core itself.  Not quite as good as the main game but I still had a blast, I thought the difficulty was perfectly pitched.  [8] I think, adjusted for inflation.

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif?format=1000w
  • 33.Ghost of Tsushima - 30 Hours? - 8/10 PS4 Pro

Strange as I’m glad that’s over, but at the same time I truly will miss it. Overstayed its welcome but there’s no denying it’s a beautiful game at times with an absolutely fantastic combat system combined with a simple but enjoyable story. At times it’s one of the beauties of the gen, with some incredible use of HDR, absolutely stunning scenes in some places that really do make you stop to appreciate them. The combat is excellent too, sticking to a sword throughout sounds limiting but you can switch between stances on the fly best suited to certain foe. It certainly isn’t rocket science but it keeps you switching it up and developing different tactics as the game progresses and didn’t get old for me once, loved feeling like a Samurai bad ass taking down groups of enemies, striking fear into their comrades as I mowed them down and then also stuck the instant kill black and white super bad ass mode on for a few kills if I’d struck down 6 without being touched.

What a fucking awesome game that really let me be a movie Samurai throughout.

Only bad points would be it lasting a little too long, having some very flat scenes that looked much worse because it was usually so stunning, and some characters with some boring missions to fill out their individual stories. Still absolutely loved it and I’m gonna miss being the ghost and tearing through some mongol dogs trying to fuck to my island.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    86. Kentucky Route Zero - Switch (7-8hrs) It flows along like some sort of Lynchian stage adaptation of a Flannery O'Connor inspired John Prine shroom dream, which means it's just about the most beautiful thing I've ever held a joypad to. 

Nice!  I got this on PC when the first level came out back in 2013 and really liked it.  Never played the others though.  Figured I'd wait for the full game.  It would be too hard remembering what happened if you had to wait a month or two between releases lol.  

Will have to get onto it shortly.
  • 42. Captain Commando (Arcade) - 45mins  

Didn't enjoy this anywhere near as much as Moot. By 1991 there had already been a few superior scrolling beat em ups with deeper moves sets imo.

I just found it a bit dull and uninspired. There was times playing where I was punching air after the enemies had died because I was in a day dream just button mashing.

Is there such a thing as a bad co-op scrolling beat em up though? This is probably one of the worst I've played so I'm gonna say no... there isn't.

It's brainless fun, and there's far worse ways to kill an hour.

5/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    86. Kentucky Route Zero - Switch (7-8hrs) It flows along like some sort of Lynchian stage adaptation of a Flannery O'Connor inspired John Prine shroom dream, which means it's just about the most beautiful thing I've ever held a joypad to. 
    Nice!  I got this on PC when the first level came out back in 2013 and really liked it.  Never played the others though.  Figured I'd wait for the full game.  It would be too hard remembering what happened if you had to wait a month or two between releases lol.   Will have to get onto it shortly.

Nice.  It's been in my head since playing, Huntdown and SOR4 are glancing over their shoulders on my GotY list.
  • 43. Knights of the Round (Arcade) - 45mins  

Another brainless scrolling beat em up from 1991. Again, there were far better examples of the genre by 1991.

The move set is once again is far to simple, but at least each of the three characters has a unique move. There's also a blocking/parry mechanic, but I struggled to get to grips with it tbh.

Then there's a levelling up system that increases your power and armour, but it's no River City Ransom.

Ultimately another forgettable game like Captain Commando, but mindless fun none the less.

5/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    7. 198X (PC) - 1.5 hours
    Got this as part of a Humble Monthly a few months back and thought it looked interesting.
    Pixel art coming of age story set in the 80s (as the title suggests) through the lens of a girl playing oldschool arcade games.
    I kinda liked the idea and where they were going with it, but it didn't really feel super well fleshed out, and the different games had nice ideas, but just felt a bit....'off' somehow.
    I think if it had been twice as long I could have given it a better rating but for now it will have to be a [6]
  • I do enjoy reading this thread. Great stuff everyone. Carry on.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Have you managed to download a game this year g?
  • Heh. Tbh, I just tether my unlimited 4G phone to the consoles now whenever I have to download stuff. It's an inelegant solution, but it does the job.
    Don't seem to do a lot of gaming these days. I've played The Division 2 and Halo 5 this year. Struggling to think of anything else tho.
  • TBH, I miss the old school social aspect of being a gamer. 
    Going to indie stores and chatting the chat with the staff. 
    Pouring over all the titles on the shelves.
    Picking up the new releases.
    All these things are lost now, like tears in rain.
  • 87. Knights of the Round - Switch (45 mins)

Funny how these scrolling beat 'em ups fare today.  I thought this was absolute bobbins in comparison to Captain Commando.  It's been a long time since I played Double Dragon but I'm convinced that had a wider range of moves than this.  All this seemed to offer was a basic stab-stab-stab attack combo, an ineffective jumping slash and a special that didn't seem worth bothering with as it depleted more of your own energy bar than your opponent's.  If Retro hadn't mentioned the block/parry I wouldn't have known it was there, so perhaps I played the entire game hammering two buttons when three were on offer.  Certainly with my double button approach it never felt like the moveset was wide enough to deal with the bosses in particular, which puts it at a sub-TMNT standard in terms of flagrant coin guzzling - it's deal a hit and get one back stuff in places.  The characters are varied at a glance, but they all felt equally underpowered in battle.  Big chopper Percival is slow but can run (there's no specific running attack though, he just stops and performs a standard attack), I guess rapier Lancelot :eyes: moves a little quicker in general and the fifth character (Arthur, presumably carrying a moist Excalibur) probably deals damage somewhere in the middle.  Meh.  

Always liked the look of this but wasn't feeling it at all.  Golden Axe doesn't get nearly as much credit as it deserves in the 80s-into-90s scrolling beat 'em up hack 'n slash field.  Yes, you gradually level up throughout the game here, but only to stay a step or two behind irritating enemies that love hogging the space just beyond outer edges of the screen. [3]

My favourite bit was these two chaps in the background, so I'm glad someone's made a gif of them:

IHPBNk1JTyUh0PBTDblsPultoK5jednAK4LVvt5us9YxTg_ckRzews-TXLPk5uHKE2x5Eug1pdpGR1mIqr6CFskeMHoWrDwmmWkF2tlpIyce4sY6yWZV6Ob5FrvCcJCeaehjwovBB2UwOZzKF-3_HeuOt8zMfg
  • The scrolling beat em up is a weird genre for me. I doubt I'd ever give a co-op one less than a 5, but on the flip side I don't think it offers enough for any game to be higher than an 8.

Golden Axe would easily be in my top 5, maybe even 3 of all time. Love it!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • When we're back on the proper co-op sessions you should try Mother Russia Bleeds or Wulverblade - neither is too far behind SOR4.  Loving the bitesize Capcom arcade romps though, even if some are a bit shit.

Edit: Mother Russia might be up to four players iirc.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The characters are varied at a glance, but they all felt equally underpowered in battle.  Big chopper Percival is slow but can run (there's no specific running attack though, he just stops and performs a standard attack), I guess rapier Lancelot :eyes: moves a little quicker in general and the fifth character (Arthur, presumably carrying a moist Excalibur) probably deals damage somewhere in the middle.
    Nod of approval for that.
  • 34.Control: AWE - 4 Hours - 6/10 - Xbox One X

Well...it was more Control which is always a good thing...but was it too much or was there just so little new that it was disappointing? Expected a lot of the Alan Wake link and was left disappointed. Hardly anything beyond admittedly interesting collectibles. Could’ve been much, much more. Kinda sad to end my relationship with Control on that note...few extra bits but, my time there is done.
  • 34 games, eh? Man, I’m still on 12!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!