2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • 38. Top Gear Overdrive (N64) - 4hrs

The fifth generation of consoles was the last pocket money generation for me, so there was plenty of games I wanted that I never got around to playing. Unlike 8/16-Bit consoles though, I never felt the urge to collect for my PS or N64 after they were contemporary.

Since purchasing the PlayStation Classic and an Everdrive for the N64, I'm finally getting around to checking out some of those games I spent hours reading about in the monthly mags.

After initially booting up Top Gear Overdrive I was quite optimistic it was indeed one of the good games that I'd missed out on back in the day. The handling had a nice weighty arcade feel to it, so it was one of the ROMs that made it pass my initial cuts. Unfortunately, the more time I put in the less I enjoyed it.

For a game of its era it looks pretty good. There is literally no pop-up from what I saw, something that plagued the era for the most part. Everything is nice and solid and the car models are decent, there's also some nice light effects, but what lets it down is the drab colour palette. There's no fog and the fuzzy™ N64 graphics aren't to bad here at all, but unfortunately everything just seems brown or grey and it really makes the whole thing feel lifeless.

The music is what it is, its all done by a grunge band called Grindstone. Whilst not awful, its all to similar so I soon muted it. Unfortunately the sound effects aren't the best either, so from an audio perspective its a bit of a dud.

The game is set out in six seasons, there are only seven tracks, which is bad by todays standards but about average for the time. The game employs the usual tricks of the time to lengthen the experience, alternative routes, reverse and mirror modes and weather effects. It works well enough to be fair.

Where it really fell apart for me though was the crash physics. If you go over a hill to fast you simply fly off into the horizon and explode. This is manageable with a bit of track memorisation, but what isn't is the inconsistency in crashing. Sometimes you bump into a wall at 120mph and be fine, others you'll tap your bumper and simply explode into a ball of fire. This also happens when landing after a jump, 20ft drop? No problem. 5ft drop? BOOM! 

Fortunately crashing isn't the end of the race and you restart from the scene pretty quickly, but a few of these unfortunate crashes in a race will result in it being impossible secure a top 3 finish, it happens far to often and really takes the shine off an otherwise decent racer.

At the end of the day this is a bit of a deal breaker. If the air and crash physics were better this would have been one of the N64s better racers, as it is its unfortunately not one to remember.

5/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 39. Cruis'n World (N64) - 45mins 

So after playing Cruis'n USA again this year, curiosity has got the better of me and I've decided to play the two sequels before deleting the ROMs.

The positives? It's nice and colourful, I wish Top Gear Overdrive had this much vibrancy to be fair. Erm, thats about it.

The pop up is even worse than in USA, possibly the worst I've seen on the N64. Outside of that it's essentially an expansion pak to that game, all new stages for what its worth.

So yeah, terrible. I'd say worse than USA simply because this came out years later and made no improvements, and USA has a bit more significance in the history of the Nintendo (Ultra) 64.

3/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 40. Cruis'n Exotica (N64) - 45mins 

To be fair just about everything in this game is better than the previous two. Pop up is still bad but not as bad. Controls are a bit more responsive but still poor. Tracks have more to them, alternative routes and better design all round but are still sub par.

At the end of the day it's cut from the same cloth, and the incremental improvements the series made only made it fall further behind the competition, which were doing much more.

3/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm definitely done for now. Top Gear Overdrive was the average main course, the Cruis'n games were the poor starter, side and desert.

I've got plenty of other N64 games to play, but I'm going back to current gen for now.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I did try the SF Rush games quickly though. 2049 looks like it's running on different hardware compared to the first game, I was quite impressed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 2049 was quite nifty on Dreamcast iirc. One of those unexpectedly enjoyed it spindle games.
  • 41. NES Remix 2 (Wii U) - 11hr 30mins  

Bite-size chunks of classic first party NES games. It's brilliant one more go gaming, and very hard to put down once you get into it.

There's twelve games to choose from. For me:
    The Good - SMB2, SMB3, SMB: The Lost Levels, Punch-Out!!, Metroid, Zelda II, NES Open Tournament Golf, Dr. Mario
    The Bad - Kid Icarus, Kirby's Adventure
    The Ugly - Wario's Woods, Ice Hockey

If all twelve games were games I liked this would be 9 or even a 10, as it is those four unfortunately drag down the overall experience and fun.

8/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 78. The Dark Pictures Anthology - Man of Medan - Xbox One (4hrs?)

This was a lot more enjoyable than reviews had led me to believe.  I was a bigfan of Until Dawn so would've bought this at the right price, but it was poorly received so I left it.  It's not that far off really, these games are rarely something I'd call genuinely good anyway.  UD was a riot, but the foundations were creaky enough in 2015.  This is built around the same basics - slow wandering around locations searching for clues or the next scene (srsly, it gives you a fast walk button early on and seems to take it away almost immediately, never to return), snap choices impacting plot, QTEs all over the shop and gaggle of youngish people whose survival depends on your decisions or reactions.  Some of the dialogue had me howling and the way the characters wander around wobbling their heads in the direction of pertinent items isn't too pretty either, but I wonder whether these games need this mid-level whiff of jank to appeal.  Would I enjoy myself more if everything was polished, better written and less irritating to control?  Hear me out here - perhaps not.  Take this with a pinch of salt as horror is my 'always ready' genre for films; good, bad or mediocre, I rarely struggle to sit through them, and I think some of that seeps through into this.  It's more enjoyable than a dodgy horror movie, and I love a good dodgy horror.  These games are miles away from working without the interaction, this one would surely get pelted with rotten tomatoes, but holding a pad seems to elevate them to somewhere worthwhile.  I had two characters die on me (one spectacularly) and managed to save three.  The fact that you're aware your characters can die at regular intervals really does add an air of peril to the proceedings that you wouldn't get from watching a random horror film on Netflix.  There's just something about the wonky interactive movie Fighting Fantasy Bandersnatch FMV walking survival horror sim genre that appeals to me.  It's a tough sell I guess, as certain aspects of these games really are appalling when you break them down, but I thoroughly enjoyed this - possibly because of the warts and all - and will definitely be on board for the rest of the series.   

There's a group mp mode too, which I didn't try.  I presume each player chooses which characters to control, which sounds like a great idea to me.  Extra points for the in between bits where the curator is talking to the player.  If you enjoyed Until Dawn and you're happy to play what feels like a slightly cheaper DLC tale I don't see how you can go wrong with this really.  Gamepass delivers again.  [7]

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_794b2a7a-8422-4b41-a985-a1758f4bd4a2_500x244.gif?ssl=1
  • 36: Glass Masquerade (Switch) 7/10

This is effectively a pretty jigsaw puzzle game.  Instead of a jigsaw puzzle, you're putting together, like, a shattered stained glass window.  Each puzzle is between about 30 and 60 pieces.  Even though the pieces are in different shapes to what you would expect from a jigsaw puzzle, you get used to seeing where each shard should fit.  You can't go too wrong.  The only reason you would fail to beat this game if you get a bit sick of dragging the pieces around the screen.

On the plus side it is relaxing and nice to look at.  On the minus side the interface is a bit wonky and seems to be built around using a mouse cursor.  Analogue sticks are sluggish.  You can use the touch screen, but then your big sausage shaped fingers cover up the piece and you can't see where it's going.  But it's an okay game for a few hours.

I got it on sale in a 2 pack with the sequel, which is more of the same.  Good enough.

37: Persona 5 Royal (PS4) 9/10

There are 2 reasons this did not get a 10/10 from me - I've played a bit too much persona over the last year.  They're pretty similar games.  I think the 4th is the best, and I played it directly before this.  That was a mistake.  It's a tremendous game in its own right but I burned myself out on the formula.

Also - I am a goose and missed most of the new content.  Like I literally paid money for this game to try out the new content and I missed it.  95 hours later.  There's a new guy you're supposed to hang out with. I was too busy doing laundry and eating hamburgers so I could build up the courage to ask my teacher to clean my room.

Even still, I really got sucked into the game all over again by about halfway through and was sad to say goodbye to the gang.  Need to weigh up whether I should begin a new game plus now, or give it some time.  Either way I'll be skipping most of the dialogue, I can't really justify anther 100ish hours on replay for a while.  Not with my entertainment backlog leering so judgementally at me.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I loved Persona 5 but can’t see myself ever going back. I will restart P4 as only got about half way.

• 37: Persona 5 Royal (PS4) 9/10

Also - I am a goose and missed most of the new content.  Like I literally paid money for this game to try out the new content and I missed it.  95 hours later.  There's a new guy you're supposed to hang out with. I was too busy doing laundry and eating hamburgers so I could build up the courage to ask my teacher to clean my room.

Yikes, I think that’d break me.
  • Yeah pretty annoyed with myself for not looking it up first, making sure you couldn't mess up.

Will hold off 'til at least next year; the idea of doing the dungeons again is a real downer.  Also, even skipping most of the dialogue, it's still a freaking JRPG and will still take like 50 hours to do it all again.  Ah well, move on.  Good game and will be up for it one day.
  • 79. Aces of the Luftwaffe Squadron - Switch (6hrs)

Took five/six hours or so took finish, but at least two of those were spent on the final two bosses.  It's a serviceable enough shmup lacking any desirable feedback from the actual shooting of things, plus there are medals to collect and perks to assign which chucks any purity out the window for me.  Nonsensical dialogue obscures the view of your aircraft as characters intermittently spout shit at each other, and you can even tuck yourself away behind part of the hud in the bottom left if you fancy a cheap death or three.  Nice one.    

Was a pushover until level 5-3 (of 5-5), then I had to reassign a load of abilities and tinker with aircraft.  Turns out the bomb is useless and active power ups are the way forward.  Wish I'd learned that a couple of hours before the end.  Actually, I wish I'd read this review before playing it, then I wouldn't have bothered.  Aside from the feeling of satisfaction for pushing myself through the difficulty spike it was a waste of time.  Sky Force Anniversary (and presumably the other one in that series) are miles better than this, even with all the arbitrary grinding.  At least the enemy bullets in those games aren't camouflaged against the backdrops.  A harsh [4], but fuck it. *   

giphy.gif

*As the gif seems to reveal a four player mode I'll up the score to a [5].
  • 37: Persona 5 Royal (PS4) 9/10 ... Also - I am a goose and missed most of the new content.  Like I literally paid money for this game to try out the new content and I missed it.  95 hours later.  There's a new guy you're supposed to hang out with. I was too busy doing laundry and eating hamburgers so I could build up the courage to ask my teacher to clean my room.
    Yikes, I think that’d break me.

There are so many! I’m giving my time more to certain individuals than others. I’m only 60 hours in, not sure who this guy Wagon is talking about, but I think I’ll just be happy neglecting one or two characters.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I would quit gaming if that happened to me.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    There are so many! I’m giving my time more to certain individuals than others. I’m only 60 hours in, not sure who this guy Wagon is talking about, but I think I’ll just be happy neglecting one or two characters.

That was pretty much it - there were just other people I'd rather hang out with and things I'd rather do than hang out with this person!  I'll spoil it in case you don't want to know - 
    Spoiler:
  • I just glanced at spoiler. Thanks. I’ve already got him up a fair bit so will spend time and not miss out on that extra content then. Sounds like quite a lot? Dunno. Don’t want to read anymore. I mean you’re right, it’s a huge game and I’m not gonna go back to it for a number of years after this so would be good to see as much as I can.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • 80. Captain Commando (Capcom Beat 'em up Collection) - Switch (45mins)

A quick blast through with retroking in co-op, online play is a nice addition to these games.  Such a shame that the implementation seems to be random these days, feels like a lot more games had the option last gen.  Huntdown would be perfect for it, but it's offline only and we're having to pick and choose from a fairly limited list of games.  

This was fun.  There's nothing particularly outstanding about it but I thought it was one of the more enjoyable rubber stamp scrollers of the era.  Controls are basic, although you can perform a tenderise jump attack and run, so not as basic as some.  As far as I could tell, picking up weapons was usually worthwhile but jumping on discarded enemy vehicles was not.  Anyway, I would've happily pumped 20p's into the is the early 90s.  Character balance seemed off as it felt like the crackingly named Mack the Knife absolutely wrecked compared to the weird baby on a man's body character.  As it lacks the depth of a SORII I'm not sure practice would make perfect with the lesser characters, but we didn't play it enough to find out.  Good, straightforward fun for those who like to revisit these things.  [7] compared to its peers, far less if we're straight up talking 'how good is this game in 2020'.  

tumblr_ogcyoeMkRG1r7sijxo1_640.gifv
  • 31.Control: Foundation - 6 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox One X

I absolutely loved Control when it was released so any excuse to go back I’ll grab with both hands, and I’m glad I did. This is an excellent bit of DLC, good bit of story that makes sense...as much as Control can...beautiful environment, as much as you can make of a foundation system beneath the oldest house, decent new mechanics and enemies, and more time in the awesome Control universe. Only downside was buggy last boss which was a disappointment, but that was the only downside. Aside from that very good bit of DLC and cannot wait for the next slice, just wish they’d planned for more.
  • 81. Paper Mario: The Origami King - Switch  (roughly 30hrs)

30hrs still counts as epic, right?  It felt pretty epic to me, Tilly and I have been chipping away at it most days since launch.  I had hoped to click with the battle system, despite most reviews suggesting that it's not the main draw.  I didn't, unfortunately, but I didn't find the panel moving line-em-up sections as obtrusive as battle systems in RPGs of yore (the Final Fantasy VII battle music would still annoy me no doubt, and I used to place the pad on the floor in despair when the Dreamcast whirred to denote a fight was coming in the otherwise excellent Skies of Arcadia).  Folded minions can often be avoided, so believe it or not this didn't prove to be massively problematic even over the course of such a long game.  Special mention for the bosses though; I thought the slightly tweaked system worked a treat for them.  

I didn't know what to expect from the non-battly bits, but it turns out everything else on offer is big-grin gaming.  The toad hunting is just about the most moreish optional extra I can think of - I've never been a hundo hunter but we found the vast majority of them, and having each one become a visible hype man in the arena is genius.  There's a ton of variety to the tasks and quests, most of it front and centre in the trailers but I'll avoid direct spoilers, and just about everything attempted outside the arena felt more hit than miss to me.  It looks gorgeous, the soundtrack is one of Nintendo's best for years, its pun game is stronk (as is the script in general), plus the story unfolds beautifully and genuinely goes places.  Was reading all text to Tilly and I needed a good cuddle once or twice.  I take back wot I said in the Switch thread about Nintendo's not-quite-major releases lacking a bit of spit & polish on Switch as this is about is lush & lavish as it gets. [8], but I tell you what, it'd be a straight [9] with more agreeable battles.   In with a shout for my GotY top 5, with Olivia winning character of the year hands down.

paper-mario-the-origami-king-2-5.jpg
  • 82. Battletoads - Xbox One (3hrs 50mins)

This was always up against it as it's predominantly a throwback scrolling beat 'em up releasing in the same year as Steets of Rage 4, but the basic brawling is actually pretty strong.  It's the constant attempts to add variety along the way that turn the experience into a bit of a pot luck tombola.  I'd say 65% of the game is the surprisingly proficient fightmens, and the rest is either one-shot or recurring distractions/diversions that either work (the into the screen scooter sections are decent enough) or absolutely do not (not going to spoil it, but I thought one of the slightly more out-there late game sections was RIDICULOUS).  The scattershot approach to gameplay coupled with fairly decent cut scenes works pretty well on the whole, but unfortunately the non scrolly/fighty bits never really threaten to be anything special in any way.  The hodgepodge is worth playing though, probably moreso as a couch co-op experience (although quite how that works on some stages is a mystery to me), but it's a bit of an Earthworm Jim game: all over the place, heavy on the wacky tween TV animation style, maintaining an average of 'quite good' throughout its many styles whilst never troubling the very best of the competition.        

Despite some earlier standard stages outstaying their welcome, whenever the scrolling & punching sections returned in the latter half of the game I was relieved.  It's slightly draining to play back to back sections of new gameplay experiences (poor puzzle platforming, average platforming, QTEs, vertical shmups and so on), but judged on the fisticuffs it attempts some interesting things and mostly succeeds.  The tag system seemed oddly overpowered as it worked far better than the dodge for a quite blast of invincibility, but the tongue grab to either propel yourself toward enemies or Scorpion them over to you is well implemented.  You can dash, spit wads of bubblegum to stick enemies in place and guard break attack, plus there's a genuine rhythm/tactics game going on on standard difficulty, with enemies staying in a dizzy state for ages, certain types posing far more risk and so on.  Some of the enemy placements suggest a game designed first and foremost as a co-op experience, but it's never quite unfair as a solo game.  It's not quite there when compared to SOR4 but it'd give Wulverblade a fair fight (and eventually lose), to name another good modern stab at the genre.   

Overall it feels like a game intended to be developed as a labour of love that ended up a bit rushed.  The visuals have a certain style that seems to rise and fall in terms of quality from stage to stage.  Gav described it as Cuphead played on a recorder, which is glorious but actually a bit harsh; the finished product is no eyesore, but some of the stages just look a wee bit...off.  Not sure who to recommend it to as the series doesn't have much of a fanbase as far as I can tell, but it's not half bad really. [7] feels about right, glad I played it.

WarpedThickIsopod-size_restricted.gif
  • Sounds like a bit of an intriguing mess, assumed it'd be a straight forward brawler more or less.  will give it a try this week .
  • 38: Glass Masquerade 2 (Switch) - 5/10
    39: UFC 4 (Xbox) - 6/10

Could probably just copy n paste whatever I wrote for Glass Masquerade 1 and UFC 3; these games  are just more of the same.  They're okay.

I did get pretty bloody sick of GM2.  The puzzles have a lot more pieces to put back together.  I'm not sure it's a game you get good at, so it's just kind of tedious.  The interface is the same.  It's slow and fiddly.  

Did enjoy UFC though.  I don't think they've figured out how to make MMA intuitive to control but you do get kinda used to it after a while.  But I do like a sports fighting game where you have to look after your stamina meter, and a fight can stop at any second.  As with UFC 3 I played it on easy and quickly reset the game when I lost.  I won the belt and retired undefeated like the big man that I am.
  • 21. Peaky Blinders: Mastermind [6]
    A low budget licence job that's actually quite clever in how it interprets the material. It's a puzzle game really, with you controlling each of the family members and using a time rewind mechanic to synch up their actions. It's a shame it keeps thing too simple until the last couple of missions.

22. Mortal Shell [6]
    Yet another Darlk Souls homage. There are some new ideas, especially the 'harden' mechanic, and it's a nice compact game that resists any temptation to pad itself out. But it's overall a bit uneven and repetitive, as well as a little to familiar.
  • I started Battletoads earlier today. It seems... fine I guess?
  • Pretty much. It's a bit weird but it mostly works. Post an update if you get to the bit. You'll know what bit.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    5. Horizon: Zero Dawn Complete Edition (PC) - 50 hours including Frozen Wilds DLC

I'm not normally one for the AAA titles, but I was gifted this during the Steam summer sale so I thought it deserved a play.
    And all I can say is I am very glad I did. 
    The story was excellent, and while it's always hard to make a video game story believable, I think Guerilla did a good job in world building and making you care about the characters. Speaking of which, the characters were for the most part good, and definitely well voice-acted.
    Hunting giant robot dinosaurs is always fun, and the gimmick of removable components (some of which you can then use against them) made it a little different than your average open world combat.
    The game is also GORGEOUS looking, especially now it's on PC and can take advantage of higher powered graphics hardware. The music also is nicely atmospheric and not distracting.
    On the negative side, I can't ignore the port problems to PC. The game was apparently farmed out to a different studio for porting to PC (unlike Death Stranding which runs on the same engine and was done in house) and the stability is....less than great. Before updating to the most recent Geforce drivers, I was getting crashes every 15 minutes, mostly related to lading in new textures I think, and after the update, it was down to every couple of hours or so. Some people have had good stability, and others less so, but it's worth bearing in mind if you are thinking of picking it up on PC.
    Combat against humans was also not ideal, but I can forgive that, as the robot dino combat is really the focus of the game.

Overall, I think it's a must for any fans of open world gaming [9]
  • 83. Mortal Kombat 11 - Xbox One (4hrs)

My Mortal Kombat journey is as follows: 

Knee deep in the hype for no.1, played it a lot in the cab office at the top of my road but only ended up renting/borrowing the Megadrive game.  In at launch for the the MD port of II and absolutely rinsed it.  27 year hiatus.  Mortal Kombat 11.  Aside from one go of X on gamepass earlier in the year I can't recall playing any releases in between.  Vs fighters aren't my thing these days, despite the fact that I would've licked the chip shop floor clean for ten minutes on [Street Smart] in 1991.  It turns out modern ones occasionally have story modes though, rather than the simple 'pick a character and defeat all the other characters while the AI slider gets cheaper and cheaper' format, so here I am.            

And what a blast it was.  I'm only reviewing the story mode as I have no idea how balanced this is as a proper one on one fightman type, but it felt good and the grandiose interactive cinematic package was enough to get me back on the hook with the series.  As soon as the DLC drops to somewhere near the £12.99 I paid for the base game I'll be all over it.  It's got Robocop in FFS.  I played it on easy as I've got no time for resistance in games like this.  Scrub, aye, but I just don't find challenge enjoyable against the computer in vs fighters, it fucks me off no end - probably why I ditched the genre in the first place.  Plus you character hop for most of the game and having to practice to succeed would've noped me out.  I didn't see any traditional Fatalities in the mode I played but there was a low health mid-bout soft fatality of sorts, a couple of which had me guffawing thanks to their ludicrously OTT choreography.  The one with the coins, ahaha.  

Graphics are outstanding, I assume there's plenty of post-processing stuff going on for the in-engine cut-scenes, but regardless of the secret electrickery it's a stunning looking game that maintains gloriousness whenever it hands you control.  As stated, my thoughts only apply to the story mode, but I'm buzzing about the whole thing so it gets a big fat [9].  

giphy.gif
  • My man!  Yep they've got the beat em up story mode down to a fine art.  Great stuff.  Loved the old and young Johnny bits.

They seem to come down in price pretty quickly; hopefully it's the same with the new expansion.  Will jump on that too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!