b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    2. Observation - 8.5/10 - PS4

Definitely a hidden gem of this gen. If you like the movie 2001 space odyssey then you will probably like this. Plot is good enough to be a movie in its own right.
    Some puzzles were annoying, a contrast on the hud would help at times. Also maybe some hints as to what in a room you can scan to save you time of scanning the whole fecking room. Anyway minor quibbles.
    I dont want to say too much about it as it would spoil the game for others. It was really good. I think about 4-5 hours in total.

• I fancied that, will play if it's BC on PS5.
  • 55. Pop 'n Twinbee (SNES/Switch) - 2hrs

Not sure what to make of this really.  Played co-op with retroking over a sensible social distance of maybe half a mile.  The online two player option on the SNES app is a pretty nifty addition, even if it is hamstrung by a paltry selection.  It's a cheerful vertical scrolling shmup with an annoying weapon upgrade system.  Team up moves like the throw and health share are neat features, as is the adaptive difficulty that seems to see enemies aiming for whichever player is having the better of it.  There's not really much oompf to it all though, and I'm feeling slightly harsher on it than I was when the credits rolled last night, so it gets a miserly 73% 1993 score from me.  Which is probably a [4] in actual 'if it was released as a nu retro title now' modern money.  I enjoyed it, but it's not a vintage 16-bit shooter for me. 

tumblr_oe9vjhDrV41s9677oo1_500.gifv
  • 29. Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken (SNES) - 3hrs

Went with a fan translated ROM of the Japanese version after hearing good things in the retro community. The game itself is the same, just better presentation, a better translation and one uncensored scene.

I've actually owned Cybernator for about 20 years but never played it further than the first level. It seemed ok, but it never grabbed me like I expected. Thanks again to this thread, I've uncovered another 16-Bit gem, definitely not a hidden one, but one I've ignored for far to long.

The gameplay starts off good, not amazing but it's simple and responsive. It's not Contra, it's a slower more methodical shooter, and probably the reason I never clicked with it initially.

Its the rewards of exploration and subsequent upgrades and new weapons that the game goes from being merely good to very good. Thats not to say it's a complicated game, it's still linear A-B gaming, but if you try to rush through you'll have a tougher less enjoyable time.

This is most apparent on the last level. By that time you should have at least one weapon fully powered and will cut through the waves of enemies to the final boss instead of it being a slow slog. Very rewarding if you put the effort in earlier in the game.

The music and sound are all top notch, especially the main theme which is now ingrained into my brain, great stuff.

I actually failed one mission but still progressed. I have since discovered the game has two endings, a good and a bad, I obviously got the bad. I'm not sure how many of the 7 levels have different outcomes and what the stipulations are for the good ending, but it's a big plus point for replay value.

Very good game, really enjoyed it.

8/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Anyone with Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics could smash this challenge in no time.
  • 30. Pop'n TwinBee (SNES) - 2hrs  

Decent Shoot 'em Up, not a bad game by any means but a bit under par for Konami's ridiculously high 16-Bit standards. 

The ability to share health and the adaptive difficulty in which the CPU goes for the more experienced player are great additions.

I enjoyed the dual layer of enemies. Like Xevious there are land enemies that can only be shot with bombs, as oppose to the airborne ones who are taken down with the standard weapons.

I'm really not a fan of the bells for power-ups though, especially having to juggle them to change their colours. It can get a bit much when you have a screen full of enemies. I'd much prefer the standard Gradius/Parodius system.

The graphics are nice and colourful and the music is typical Konami, but it just feels a bit like it doesn't get out of second gear. There's better shoot 'em ups on the SNES and tons if you include Mega Drive and PC Engine.

It is good fun though, and gets an extra point for being co-op.

7/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 31. The Last Guardian (PS4) - 12hrs   

Despite claiming this was the worst game I've played in years, overall there is just to much to love to truly hate it.

Anyone who didn't enjoy ICO or SotC should steer well clear. This game still has the cumbersome delayed controls that they had, back in the PS2 days that was more forgivable, although even then they weren't great.

The visuals and performance are also a mixed bag. They have the same artistic style of ICO/SotC, which is absolutely fine, but most of the time it still looks like a PS3 game at best. Don't get me wrong, there are moments when it opens up and the scale of the environment starts pushing the PS4, but then the frame rate drops and the disappointment comes back. 

Dispite all these minor issues, I still enjoyed it. As a huge fan of ICO/SotC, the same things that made those games great are still present here, and if you enjoyed those you do owe it to yourself to play this.

The BIG problem for me though was Trico. He can be an absolute bell end, and despite some lovers of the game comparing it to taming a wild animal/training a pet, it doesn't make it any less frustrating as a video game. I'm firmly in the camp of it being bad AI as oppose to the programmers making it part pet sim.

It's one of the most divisive games I have ever played:

Its best moments are up there with the best Fumito Ueda/Team ICO has ever created, the last two hours in particular were simply superb. If Trico did as I asked with minimum hesitation, this might have been my pick of the trilogy - 9/10

At its worst it feels broken, there is absolutely nothing fun about pointing in a direction for 10 minutes waiting for Trico to move. At times I didn't know if I was gonna smash the control pad or break down into tears of frustration - 2/10

Overall the good outweighed the bad for me, just.

6/10  

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I honestly do wonder sometimes if Sony shipped 2 versions of that game for a laugh.
  • They definitely did. It’s the only explanation.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I mean, it’s because of Trico that I rate it in my all time top 10. Whilst retro has just downgraded his score because of Trico!!!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Tricouldn't
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You've gotta tri harder than that
  • 56. Horizon Shift '81 - Switch (5hrs)

Properly basking in the glow of this one, was close to giving up on it two thirds of the way through as it gets TOUGH.  You should have seen me on the last levels, the crowd would've gone wild.  

I've had it for ages but until last week I'd only dabbled.  It's a regular member of the 89p brigade, of which there's a specific sub-section of deceptively simple tate mode types that really suit the Flipgrip.  Downwell is the most well known, fair enough because it's a nifty little game, but Switch 'N Shoot and this are of similar calibre*.  Switch 'N Shoot is twitch heaven (and probably marginally superior if I had to hang my hat on one), but this is a bit of a deeper cut.  It's an assured take on the classic arcade shooter template, screamingly and faithfully retro, yet stuffed with extra little tweaks and systems that nudge it beyond simplicity of the coin-ops of the time.  Your craft sits on the horizon line and can be manually flipped to shoot up or down the screen.  You can jump or barge left/right (granting brief invulnerability) and certain enemies can take a chunk out of the line if you let them, which of course you can fall through.  You'll be managing oncoming waves in both sections, kind of like a dual screen LCD Game & Watch type, but with top notch classic arcade shmup controls - deciding which enemies to focus on, which of the floating upgrades to pick up, when to drop your bomb and generally plotting how to survive on the fly.  Every five levels there's a checkpoint, followed by a boss.  The bosses are a bit weak in fairness - they're all fun, but they're also far easier than the rest of the game.  The single stage respite comes as a relief in a way, but still has to go down as a criticism.  This, coupled with the random nature of the weapon drops means that it falls just shy of excellence overall - sometimes it can be a horrible cunt to you for minutes on end, other times it giftwraps the tools to succeed.  I suppose luck of the draw is the nature of the beast, but there are some clear cut OP/*AVOID* weapon choices in there.  Because of the checkpoints and gradual progression rather than three-lives-and-out nature of the gameplay I probably enjoyed this more than the incrementally harder scorechasers of old.  Galaxian was my game as a nipper, photos of me standing on a wooden crate to play it at a caravan site in Dymchurch etc., but this pushes the very best at times.  It's pure yet inventive and more importantly, perfectly formed.  It might be buried under 100 tons of (glorious) indie fodder on whichever store you're lucky enough to find it on, but it's remarkable how well it all works.  [8]     

*Hyper Sentinel fits the bill too but you can't flip the screen.
  • Brace yourselves, I've been given so much time to myself today I might have three to add before the day's done. 

57. Shovel Knight - Showdown (50 mins)

A quick one, didn't realise the new arena battle DLC had a story mode.  Played through as a couple of characters and then had a mess around in two player for a bit.  It's fun, and free if you own the Treasure Trove edition.  The base game is pretty much the best thing this side of Trials for me, and previous rounds of DLC have all been welcome, with King of Cards in particular giving (what's now known as) Shovel of Hope a run for its money in places.  The package is now packed with content no-one expected at launch, and to the best of my knowledge it's been added to and expanded upon more than any other title*.  It's quadrupled in size since 2014, and I'd still give the OG release a [10].  It even has co-op as standard on the main campaign now, which would have been laudable extra on its own imo.  The battle mode - the final round of DLC, released five years on - is a fun addition, and while it wouldn't give Towerfall Ascension much to worry about in a straight brawl it's still impressive that it works better than most one screen battle mode indie releases (believe it or not there are loads of them about).  It's not deep, but it does madcap well across numerous modes and the unlocks come thick and fast the more you play.  As a standalone title in the £5-8 range I'd probably give it a [7] based on what I've played so far.

GregariousAmbitiousApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

*Okay No Man's Sky sprung to mind after typing this.
  • 58. Inside - Xbox One (2hrs 15mins, second playthrough)

There's not much to say about this that hasn't been said already.  Not many people on here who might be interested slept on it afaik, but I'll preach to the choir quickly: it's one of the most perfectly executed, thrilling, moreish, wondrously formed and beautiful looking games I've ever been lucky enough to play.  A defining moment of this generation for sure; it's quite brilliant from start to (that!) finish.  [9]

tumblr_oavqhdbE4M1r61mabo5_250.gifv
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Why does that look borked?? 

Edit - Ugh fixed, was http://http:// derp
  • 29: Forza Horizon 2 (XB1) - 8/10

Really liked the first game, but this takes the series into the current generation with a bit more graphical flare and the ability to go a little off road to open things up a bit.  This is pretty much the FH I know and love.

There's not too much wrong with it but the creep of way too much stuff to do is in.  Like, a seemingly endless supply of races over similar looking and feeling stretches of road.  It does leave a bit of an odd feeling, 'completing' a game and still having the lion's share left to play, but little desire to do so.

30: Valfaris (Switch) - 8/10
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    51. Valfaris - Switch (8hrs 9mins) Ghastly looking run & run side scroller with visuals that seem to be stuck in an undesirable early 32-bit limbo.  Overly pixellated characters coexist on a 2D plane with some fairly obvious 'HERE COME THE POLYGONS' geometry additions such as rotating cogs, all coupled with a strong metal motif (replete with the devil horns/power chord/headbang combo when you collect new weapons).  It's certainly not a sight for sore eyes, which is a bit of a catch-22 as it's a fucking eyesore.  It's the designer's vision and it's probably a job well done on some level, but no sir I don't like it.  CRT filters help to an extent, but half the game looks like a magic eye picture of Dio's haemorrhoids.  That's pretty much it for the negatives though, the game itself is sailing pretty close to masterpiece territory.  Yes, I like lots of things I play and I'm reasonably easy to please with tight new retro experiences, but this is one of the best games I've played in recent years.  It's not quite as air-punchingly good as Huntdown for my admittedly oddbod tastes, but that was a very specific tarted up retro experience that erred on the simpler side of gaming history.  Valfaris is the better game if we're talking head vs heart.   It's fairly standard in terms of the basics; multi directional shooting with a bumper assigned to lock you in position.  You also have a melee attack and a secondary weapon (which has its own energy bar).  Using the former replenishes the latter.  Throw in a shield on top of the rock solid foundations and you've suddenly got a game that feels a little different to its genre peers.  The shield relies on the same energy bar as the secondary weapon, and a last minute block can turn projectiles into a counter attacks that are unleashed when you release the button.  It all feels pretty intuitive once you get going, and the levels themselves are superb.  The bosses might not look particularly memorable, but each one requires a pattern to defeat that many Cuphead guardians would be proud of.  The various weapon unlocks mostly seem worth experimenting with (all of which can be ugraded), and it turns out I happily backed what seems to be the Reddit crew's equivalent of the water magic for the majority of the game.  *Shrug*, it worked for me.   I'm struggling to think of a run & gun game that plays better than this, all things considered, and as I can't do so off the top of my head I'm willing to declare this the best example of the genre ever created.  If you appreciate what this is trying to do it's a pretty special game.  Ultimate form [insert retro template] types are the best thing about modern gaming for me.  I might moan about open worlds getting larger elsewhere but at the same time I've never been this well catered for with the kind of experiences I love.  [9] BlackandwhiteGreenHoverfly-size_restricted.gif

Excellent write up and recommendation - Read this and then saw a physical copy on sale in the local game shop!

Largely agree with your review, though I kinda like the tacky graphics.  On the other hand, I had a REALLY bad night with it to wind things up.  I'm not that good at these games, and I was having a shocker over the last few checkpoints and final boss.  That last stretch took me somewhere between 5 and 7 hours (I lost track of time).  I died over and over again but just had to beat it before bed!  I got there by like 2:30AM but it was a hollow victory.  Died over 700 times all up!  My own fault but it did taint my experience I bit.  But yeah, for normal people this is a fantastic little game.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I got snagged in the middle somewhere, it's definitely extra tricky in places.  Second phase of the final boss was daunting for a good while.  

I bought Slain after finishing Valfaris, which I think is by the same guy (come to think of it I haven't checked this though, so maybe I'm just basing this on 'they look at bit similar').  It was torn to shreds at launch but it's been rejigged and free patched into something that resembles a decent game apparently - it has the subtitle Back From Hell now too, as a nod to its own problems.  Problem is I got is as part of a bundle on Switch, and wondering whether this version has been patched is really bugging me.  I know it launched as Back From Hell on Switch, but with technical issues on the port (30fps for starters) but was fixed shortly afterwards (stable 60fps!).  The bundle version feels pretty jerky to me, and I can't work out if I'm imagining it.  Surely those mostly God-awful three/four pack indie bundle releases would be the most recent versions of games, especially as punting unfinished software out the door seems to be the way of it these days, and if not why isn't the patch available (or is it)?  Nothing updated after I installed it.  I need to stop focusing on this really, it's minor but it's been winding me up on and off all weekend, like a low level descent into madness. I'm half tempted to buy the game on its own as it's cheap, just to compare it, but I'm reluctant fully mug myself off.  Especially as it really isn't all that good based on the first level.  I could handle the gameplay clunk to an extent if I knew what I was playing was living its best life. I've been scouring the the web for an answer and I'm not going to get it.  

/end nonsense.
  • 59. Limbo - Xbox One BC (80 mins-ish, second full playthrough)

Meant to add this yesterday, blitzed through it again with the aid of Youtube in places after playing Inside.  It was one of the games that led the charge for indies to a certain extent, and it's stood up pretty well considering it's what, ten years old now?  Plenty of the puzzles are very good, and playing Toby: The Secret Mine recently really showed me how wrong this sort of thing can turn out in the wrong hands.  In hindsight it feels a Playdead practice session for Inside, which is similar yet markedly superior in every way, but this still stands up. [7] with 2020 hindsight eyes, but it was an [8] at the time.   

AAarnLaQjZ9WhXKQvaQulomE91WBzuvoB2CGL33C_VK0ZVHcRrpJDPL9-9scEBjVqkYGS59Mlv-PMyvJM_2uk7GiQkbrDtlyi47HcVl9zrNzJ5zfQwzfBbVShg
  • Sorry mate; can’t help you with how those bundles work, and haven’t played Slain either.  Have been thinking it over after Valfaris but can’t really justify the purchase ATM.  

So with those bundles, do they appear as 1 game tile on your dashboard?  I assumed they’d just be the same game file you get when you make a single purchase.  This is Nintendo though so who knows!
  • Yeah it appears as a bundle on the dash and lists it as a bundle on the recently played section of the profile.
  • 31: The Last Of Us Part 2 (PS4) - 9/10

I accidentally Spoilered myself with this.  Luckily the spoilers I read turned out of be only partially accurate, and the actual game was far better written than I feared.  But still not as good as it nearly was!  It got pretty over egged at the end.  I think this is because the writing team got a bit carried away with how good they are after the first game.  Think if they tried to be a bit more generic (And 10 hours shorted) it would have gone over better with me.

Great Naughty Dog adventure though, very much like the first game but slightly more fun to play and stupidly good looking.  Like you can just stare at Ellie’s rubbish shirt and how it moves about properly.  Or the pretty scenery I guess.  I was more excited by the clothes.  And the guns!  The bit where you work on your guns on a workbench is so good.  The have a weightiness to them, like the clunk when you put them down and clink when you take them apart, they’re all shiny metal and varnished wood.  You can practically feel them and I literally wondered why I never considered being a professional gunsmith while playing it.  I know Naughty Dog wanted to make the violence a bit more thoughtful on the whole but that did not happen.  There’s too much spectacular gore.  Bits of people flying about, blood gushing everywhere.  It’s great just maybe not in the way intended.  I don’t know.

The faces are very expressive too.  When Ellie is cutting a bloke’s throat out she is gurning like a suspect in LA Noire.  But it turns out I have less to say about faces than I do about guns.  

Really good stuff, it is one of those games though where I reckon it was very close to being an all timer but didn’t quite stick the landing and that overshadows things a bit.  Well worth a look though!
  • Huh.  Well there you go.  I’ll let you know if I do buy it and see how it runs.
  • It's probably not worth buying unless you're a glutton for punishment. It has a stupidly annoying charge move for a start, and a rubbish dodge.
  • 10. New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Switch) - 23/6 - c10hrs
    Co-op with my Boy. Frustrating in places, but was mostly fun. Co-op shenanigans aside, the game itself is one of the best 2D Marios. Great levels and the right level of challenge - not easy, not too hard. There’s nothing really not to like here. I gave it a [9] when I first played it with my little kids watching me. That score hasn’t changed playing it in co-op with them now that they’re older.
    [9]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Out of your ten games, you've given six [9]s, one [10] and one [8]. Your scale is clearly bogus, particularly vs moot's 57 data points.
  • Yeah I just pick games randomly, not based on my taste in games, and just allocate high scores for the sake of it. And it’s not like I’ll replay games I love either.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gotta play shit to calibrate man. Basics.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!