2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • 26. Volgarr the Viking (Switch) - 4hrs 

Hard as nails action platformer that's addictive, fun and satisfying, the controls are spot on, when you get hit it is your fault.

The main minor complaint I have is the nature of the difficulty. You will die almost without fail at every new segment of a level, there's very little room for reactions and using the mechanics of the game to overcome a battle if you've approached it in the wrong way.

Once you figure out how to tackle each scenario you will breeze though it. I ran out of time on one session so had to restart Level 2 from the beginning and done it in just over 10 minutes.

It feels like a game designed for speed running instead of standard progression gaming. Each level is almost one big boss fight with a very scripted way to tackle it, the platforming equivalent of Punch-Out!! There's no getting good at the game itself, just a case of memorisation.

I liked it though, but it's an acquired taste and definitely not for everyone.

8/10   

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 27. Super Bomberman R (Switch) - 5hrs 

It's been over 20 years since I last played a new Bomberman, and this scratched the itch well enough.

Enjoyed the campaign in co-op and solo play, and had a good time playing online.

Not sure what else you'd want from a Bomberman game. It might not be manys favourite Bomberman, but if you like the classic formula you can't really go wrong.

8/10   

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    4 - Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner
    PS4.

Still great. Loved it on PS2, loved it on PS4.
    Still one of the best robot designs I've seen. Action feels good, music is good. Close combat can feel a bit chaotic at points. Lots of drawn cutscenes which have some good action direction.
  • 25. Volgarr the Viking (Switch) - 4hrs 

Hard as nails action platformers that's addictive, fun and satisfying, the controls are spot on, when you get hit it is your fault.

The main minor complaint I have is the nature of the difficulty. You will die almost without fail at every new segment of a level, there's very little room for reactions and using the mechanics of the game to overcome a battle if you've approached it in the wrong way.

Once you figure out how to tackle each scenario you will breeze though it. I ran out of time on one session so had to restart Level 2 from the beginning and done it in just over 10 minutes.

It feels like a game designed for speed running instead of standard progression gaming. Each level is almost one big boss fight with a very scripted way to tackle it, the platforming equivalent of Punch-Out!! There's no getting good at the game itself, just a case of memorisation.

I liked it though, but it's an acquired taste and definitely not for everyone.

8/10   

My list

Spot on review. I love stuff like that, tamable frustration in 2D is about as good as it gets for me.
  • 51. Valfaris - Switch (8hrs 9mins)

Ghastly looking run & run side scroller with visuals that seem to be stuck in an undesirable early 32-bit limbo.  Overly pixellated characters coexist on a 2D plane with some fairly obvious 'HERE COME THE POLYGONS' geometry additions such as rotating cogs, all coupled with a strong metal motif (replete with the devil horns/power chord/headbang combo when you collect new weapons).  It's certainly not a sight for sore eyes; it's more likely to be the cause of the eyesore.  It's the designer's vision and it's probably a job well done on some level, but no sir I don't like it.  CRT filters help to an extent, but half the game looks like a magic eye picture of Dio's haemorrhoids. 

That's pretty much it for the negatives though, the game itself is sailing pretty close to masterpiece territory.  Yes, I like lots of things I play and I'm reasonably easy to please with tight new retro experiences, but this is one of the best games I've played in recent years.  It's not quite as air-punchingly good as Huntdown for my admittedly oddbod tastes, but that was a very specific tarted up retro experience that erred on the simpler side of gaming history.  Valfaris is the better game if we're talking head vs heart.  

It's fairly standard in terms of the basics; multi directional shooting with a bumper assigned to lock you in position.  You also have a melee attack and a secondary weapon (which has its own energy bar).  Using the former replenishes the latter.  Throw in a shield on top of the rock solid foundations and you've suddenly got a game that feels a little different to its genre peers.  The shield relies on the same energy bar as the secondary weapon, and a last minute block can turn projectiles into a counter attacks that are unleashed when you release the button.  It all feels pretty intuitive once you get going, and the levels themselves are superb.  The bosses might not look particularly memorable, but each one requires a pattern to defeat that many Cuphead guardians would be proud of.  The various weapon unlocks mostly seem worth experimenting with (all of which can be ugraded), and it turns out I happily backed what seems to be the Reddit crew's equivalent of the water magic for the majority of the game.  *Shrug*, it worked for me.  

I'm struggling to think of a run & gun game that plays better than this, all things considered, and as I can't do so off the top of my head I'm willing to declare this the best example of the genre ever created.  If you appreciate what this is trying to do it's a pretty special game.  Ultimate form [insert retro template] types are the best thing about modern gaming for me.  I might moan about open worlds getting larger elsewhere but at the same time I've never been this well catered for with the kind of experiences I love.  [9]

BlackandwhiteGreenHoverfly-size_restricted.gif
  • Nice. Imma get it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've heard good things before, but was definitely put off by the aesthetic. Actually I still am.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    4 - Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner
    PS4.

Still great. Loved it on PS2, loved it on PS4.
    Still one of the best robot designs I've seen. Action feels good, music is good. Close combat can feel a bit chaotic at points. Lots of drawn cutscenes which have some good action direction.

Such a special game. I learned about NGE because of it. Second Runner is even better.
  • JonB wrote:
    1. Control [8] 30 Dec-11 Jan This is an excellent and original AAA action adventure game with some minor issues that just bring the overall experience down a touch. I loved the location and the way the scenario allows for all kinds of reality bending events. The combat is also great fun for the most part, especially once you've unlocked a number of skills, with a great fluidity between the different moves. It encourages you to get in amongst the action, rather than hiding behind cover, and reeling in a hefty piece of scenery then chucking it back at an enemy never gets old. But still there are too many regular battles with enemy designs that could've been more interesting. The middle of the game certainly started to feel a little padded out. It's also annoying how quickly battles can go wrong when you've been doing well, as you're suddenly caught unawares by a projectile or fall off the edge of something while charging about the place. The health recovery system is a nice idea but sometimes just isn't convenient, and the checkpointing system is a bit weird, adding to the frustration. Other than that, special mention to the map for being next to useless half the time. And although performance on my base PS4 mostly wasn't too bad, the loading times became an issue. And yet, there's so much clever stuff to find and do, so many neat little touches or amusing characters, none of that can really spoil it. In the end, the main story is almost merely a way of introducing all the areas and powers and getting you used to how the place works. What I enjoyed most was doing all the side missions, many of which are better left till after the credits have rolled. It's here that things get more imaginative, and there are some proper bosses to take down, which were genuniely interesting and solid challenges. It's a brave game that hides so many of its best ideas, but it works in terms of gradually unravelling all the mysteries of the place. I was happy to just keep investigating and uncovering new stuff, to the point I ended up exhausting it all and getting the platinum trophy (rare for me these days). After all that, I think I'd really appreciate a sequel. Perhaps one that involved travelling around different places investigating reports of strange activity. There's certainly plenty of potential in the fiction to explore, and with a few tweaks to the systems the results could be very special.

27: Control (PC) - 8/10

I agree with a lot of this - with a couple of further issues on my end a) I'm pretty bad at 3d shooting games so I really struggled with the Dark Souls style checkpoints! and b) my laptop could only run it decently on the lowest settings, so I missed out on a lot visually.  It still looked very stylish.

Pretty keen to save up for a decent computer within the next year and will be keen to revisit this to try the DLC and bits that I didn't do during the game (good advice re: just following the story and worrying about the side content later.

28: The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ (Switch) 9/10

Played a previous version of this quite a few years ago - I'm not too sure what's different but it's a really engrossing little game.  Never really liked the gross cartoon graphics but at least it's clear what's going on.  It seems to have a good balance of luck and skill, but then again I don't have a clue what many of the power-up items do, so I can't really say much about that.

Was one of those games where I was playing it obsessively for a few games but now that I've 'beaten' it, the urge is gone.  There does still seem to be an unlimited number of things to unlock but I'm fine for the time being.  Good stuff.

Also the Switch physical comes with an instruction book!  I miss those things, but not to the point I actually read it.

EDIT: I can't stop staring at that Valfaris GIF!  Looks awesome
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Outer Worlds - [8] - 24hrs

Started better than it ended, but overall enjoyed the Fallout-a-like gameplay. Yeah a lot of fetch quests, but some if the decisions were genuinely tricky.
    Spoiler:

Gameplay was a bit unbalanced as the side quests made you very powerful by the time you are at the end game. But good length for me as an action RPG. Not a classic, but definitely better than Fallout 4.
  • 26. Devil May Cry 5 - 10 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox One X

That was awesome!! Can’t believe I’d not played it until now. Perfect mix of everything DMC. Stylish, fun mad story, great characters, looked absolutely stunning, played beautifully. Perfect DMC. Can’t say a tremendous amount about it as it’s DMC, you stylishly take on waves of Demons, kill a few bosses, and enjoy some corny devilish jokes, but what a ride! Hope the series continues even if it continues to do only what it says on the tin.
  • 28. Tetris Attack (SNES) - 8hrs 15mins  

I'm not a massive puzzle game fan, but a few over the years became an addiction. Tetris, Dr Mario and Bust-A-Move being the big three, and this is most definitely up there with those. 

The aim is to match 3 tiles of the same colour, the catch being you can only rotate your tiles horizontally. Once you get that down chaining combos and matching 4-5 tiles becomes the aim, and it becomes very addictive.

Like most good puzzle games, if it clicks it's almost a perfect game, for me the only negative is its difficulty. I only completed it out of sheer perseverance and a bit of luck.

9/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Well done Retro!  Knew you could beat it!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Cheers, it was really tough. Good feeling of accomplishment finishing it, which is quite rare these days.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Haven't had anything to put in here for a while:

11. Jetlancer [5]
    Finally finished this off after getting stuck a couple of times on the timed score attack levels. They're some of the oddest difficulty spikes I've seen in a game for some time, and along with a few other poorly designed mission objectives bring the whole thing down. For the most part, it's very similar to Luftrausers, with the same nippy and tight plane control. But to compensate for its repetitiveness, it feels like they've overcomplicated it, with too many buttons to remember and too many customisation options that aren't worth the bother. Still, the basics are solid, the bosses add some variety, and the blue skies are nice. It's OK.

12. The Last of Us Part 2 [9]
    This was much better than I expected, and than the first, which I was luke warm on. It's the usual Naughty Dog stuff, but more varied and less rigidly structured, which makes a big difference. The locations, characters and many of the set pieces are stunningly good. It's too long though, the violence is misjudged, and overall it's probably trying to be more clever than it really is. But there are a ton of wow moments that make it well worth the trouble.
  • 52. Arise: A Simple Story - Xbox One (5hrs)

I'd been itching to play this since launch, finally spotted a half decent discount on XBL earlier in the week and thought it'd be a nice way to reach MacGuffin peak in the thread.  I knew about the platforming issues beforehand, but I had a slightly dismissive 'how bad can it be?' attitude towards it and was fairly confident I'd enjoy it regardless.  The answer to my flippant non-question was actually 'bad enough to to take the shine off the whole thing and a few more layers besides'.  It's such a shame the character control wasn't overhauled somewhere in the run up to release, because what we've got is an Accrington Stanley level 3D platformer that's constantly gawping in awe at the milk-guzzling Liverpool standard it sets pretty much everywhere else.  The visual style is stunning, the music expertly hits its marks, the tale itself does what it says on the tin yet delivers, and more importantly the time lapse controls assigned to the right stick open it all up into something fairly remarkable.  There's some lovely, lovely game design in here, but the deadweight character, poorly judged inertia and often confusing camera positions consistently negate the goodwill that's constantly being earned elsewhere.  It's maddening.  I really wanted to love it, to the point where I feel like I forgave more than I should have while settling on an overall score of [6].  It has weapons grade charms, and it is worth playing, but it could have been truly excellent with, surely, minimal amounts of tweaking.  Everything other than the way it plays is on point.  Probably my biggest gaming disappointment since Creature in the Well.

445071825825600.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic @JonB
  • Focus on the positives. None of the control/camera stuff took much of the shine off for me. It's not like it's a Mario game. The character is an old man.
  • All valid, it's chock full of positives, it really depends how much you're willing to forgive iffy jumping and climbing in a game that requires a lot of both. He's an old man, but he can scale cliffs by his fingertips and perform huge leaps between chasms (he seems to have plenty in the tank most of the time). It's just a shame that old has equated to cumbersome when it comes to the way he controls, imo. I would've rather watched it than played it I think.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    it's chock full of positives...

I would've rather watched it than played it I think.

Sounds like The Last Guardian.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 53. A Short Hike - PC (2hrs)

Since we packed away my dad's 486 SX PC that wouldn't run Alone in the Dark 2 (not that I'm bitter), my desktop gaming history has consisted of 45 mins of Far Cry and a dozen or so matches of the original COD online.  Thanks to the megabundle that dropped last week and a bit of cajoling from Nick, I'm back in the game.  My laptop isn't supposed to be able to run this, but it managed it and I can probably play Super Hexagon now too.  Plus there are half a million other games in that bundle that I'd probably buy for £2 each in EShop sales.  I feel like a galaxy brain.  

As expected, this is a lovely little thing.  Unlonely Mountains Uphill with a sprinkling of Animal Crossing and maybe even sort of microcosm Breath of the Wild thing going on with its unhurried/unforced exploration.  Your goal is to reach the highest peak, but it's unlikely even the most straight-ahead players will take the shortest route.  Some odd mid-air camera shifts aside, I can't really fault it.  It's so leisurely and agreeable it's pretty much le grand chien of floatation tank gaming.  Quality soundtrack too.  [8]

1a26ff2c5c9488f7c92d25da19895994.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Have you not played Super Hexagon before?? You're in for a treat!
  • Nope, it's been on the list but it's not on consoles afaik.
  • No iPhone or iPad? It’s such an awesome game.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nope. I have had an android phone for about three years now but I don't play games on it.
  • 13. Atomicrops [7]
    I'll call this done, even though I've just finished the first year. After that you unlock a second year and so on, each one a little more difficult.

Anyway, I'm pleased with what I've played. It's a Roguelike that combines farming mechanics with a twin-stick shooter. Plant crops in your little patch, explore the surrounding areas for further seeds and various enhancements, then defend your plants at night from hordes of slugs and gun-toting rabbits. Visit town to sell crops and buy stuff, then back to the farm for a new day.

And it just works. The systems all link together logically (e.g killed enemies leave behind fertiliser that can enhance crops). The simple resource management stuff slots in unobtrusively around the action and the random roguelike element, keeping you strategising on the fly. The combat itself is also satisfying, and gets pretty hectic by the third season.

There are a ton of different upgrades, as you'd expect, plus permanent unlocks and things to discover over extended play. My only real issue is that the areas, enemies and bosses seem to be the same each time. More varierty in those areas and I'd be willing to carry on.
  • 54. Stories Untold - Switch (4hrs)

Low level spoilers ahead: 

Episodic narrative puzzle game with various balls in the air.  It kicks off as a text adventure before moving into the puzzle room genre.  The closest comparison for me would be Statik on PSVR, but as few people have access to that particular gem, something like Zero Escape might be a more useful point of reference.   The second and third chapters in particular require constant cross referencing with in-game manuals, and I assume most players may need to consult the interwebs for assistance in non-cheaty ways.  Nudge nudge say no more.  It's not a format everyone is going to enjoy as the situational sleuthing often moves at a glacial pace, but the way the episodes intertwine as you progress earns a tip of the hat.  I'll leave it there as the less you know going in the better.  I took a while to warm to it as it's a sea change compared to my usual fare, but it's a rewarding, surprising, purposefully infuriating and very well crafted adventure. [7]

Here's the episode intro, rather than a gif, because it's quality:

• 27. God of War 3 Remastered - 10 Hours - 6/10 - PS4 Pro

Good fun little hack and slash that is what it is and nothing more. Usual fun Demi God vs Gods story, good action, irritating QTE’s and even more irritating flying sections BUT when it’s just crazy combat with a little puzzling included it’s good fun. Imagined there may have been a little more set up for the next in the series but alas, it just, ends. Decent fun and has aged well for a ten year old game.
  • 2. Observation - 8.5/10 - PS4

Definitely a hidden gem of this gen. If you like the movie 2001 space odyssey then you will probably like this. Plot is good enough to be a movie in its own right.
    Some puzzles were annoying, a contrast on the hud would help at times. Also maybe some hints as to what in a room you can scan to save you time of scanning the whole fecking room. Anyway minor quibbles.
    I dont want to say too much about it as it would spoil the game for others. It was really good. I think about 4-5 hours in total.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!