2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • 37. Streets of Rage 4 - Xbox One (5hrs)

The Bear Knuckle/SOR franchise is a suitable poster child for a dormant genre that once had heavyweight clout.  Most gamers of a certain age will have played Streets of Rage 2 at one time or another, and from those you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who wouldn't describe it as (at least) one of the best scrolling beat 'em ups ever made.  In the late 80s/early 90s Double Dragon/Final Fight clones were ten a penny in the arcades, but the format grew stale. With the advent of more powerful consoles and a frenzied push for 3D experiences, the genre was jettisoned in favour of uncharted territory and any genuinely well-known examples since could be listed on one hand. God of War/Bayonetta and their ilk are an evolution of the format, but the side scrolling, meat in oil drums, gutter pipe toting army of doppelganger style 2D beat 'em up is a very specific thing.  Since 1992 the biggest splash made by a game of this type (or thereabouts) was probably when Castle Crashers had its 15 minutes on XBLA.  It was a fun game, but it really wasn't a patch on the genre's best.  The top efforts since remain comparatively unknown.  Some quick shouts: Scott Pilgrim (which nailed the more simplistic approach), Mother Russia Bleeds (cracking in co-op, deserved more attention), Wulverblade (quality solo, outstanding audio).  The recent indie boom has paved the way for a mini resurgence, most of which have flown under the radar.  There's a Jay & Silent Bob effort with an 8-bit style on the way.  Slaps & Beans are doing their thing if that's your thing (who?).  There's even one where you parry your way to victory (Way of the Passive Fist, and it's actually quite good!).  Anyone heard of Coffee Crisis, Fight 'N Rage or Dusty Raging Fist?  Hello?  Enough preamble then, what I'm getting at is that the scrolling beat 'em up has quietly made a comeback in recent years, but you'll often have to sift through online stores to find them.  The release of Streets of Rage 4 is like when a big wrestler returns to the ring and all the pretenders continue to strut their stuff with as much gusto as they ever did, but everyone knows the Big Daddy is back.  I probably shouldn't have gone for a wrasslin' analogy as I've never really seen it, but I imagine that's what happens.  More importantly than anything I've just typed, Streets of Rage 4 is the best game mentioned so far, and that includes Streets of Rage 2.  And Bayonetta.    

Crucially, Lizardcube decided that the key to refreshing the franchise close to 30 years on was to refine and tweak the foundations.  There's never been a scrolling beat 'em up that could accurately be described as notably superior to SOR2, so it makes perfect sense that this feels closer to that than the entry in between (no.3 is a good game, but it's rarely described as a great one for a reason).  The roll move from that game is absent, and the characters here feel weighty again.  Each of the four street brawlers has roughly the same number of moves available, all of which are executed with the same inputs as before, so straight off the bat this feels welcoming and familiar for anyone seeking that sweet Sega nostalgia hit.  The more you play, the more you begin to appreciate the deftness of the evolution - yes, it's SOR2 at its core, but the subtle tweaks appear to be successful across the board.  Moves can be chained together far more effectively than before, with air juggles now a viable option for combo seekers.  Previously energy sapping specials now only drain health permanently if you take a hit before a getting a few extra punches in yourself.  Adam suffers from this as the drain on his specials is pronounced, whereas Axel can be slightly more liberal with his big hitters.  Floyd and Cheery represent the new blood in the roster, but they're both familiar.  Floyd is Max and Cherry is Skate, and both characters scream early 90s.  They've either been designed by someone who deserves to be sniggered at (metal arms beefcake & Guitar punk grrl? lol), or they're the brainchildren of someone who absolutely gets what slightly shitty scrolling beat 'em up characters are supposed to be.  Either way the end result is perfect, and the whiff of jank to the cutscenes leads me to believe it's deliberately on the nose.  Well played says I.  Lalalala.  Adam can dash, Cherry can run.  Floyd can barely retreat from an exploding barrel without taking a hit.  From my two and a half playthroughs so far, none of them appear to be noticeably useless, although Adam (a secret character of sorts anyway) does seem to flex quite considerably in most key areas.  The grunts are a good mix of easy to dispatch and slightly annoying, the stages are tightly designed around a 3 life starting point and the bosses are decent.  Of course, everything is better in co-op, but this is easily the best solo SOR experience. 

Visually it's a triumph, I had some doubts from trailers but the finished product is absolutely glorious.  Blaze's nork-walk looks silly, and Barbon looks like a Slimfast Stacy Keach wearing Simon Cowell's strides, but the overhaul is a resounding success on the whole.  At first I thought the tunes lacked a certain something, but the score came alive in the back half, and when I went straight back in I realised the early efforts are quality too.  Nailing the audiovisual package was always going to be tough, but it gets a 'good job very well done' on both counts from me.  

It's the right length, the rinse & repeat nature of the core gameplay is enough of a hook to provide many hours of post credits enjoyment and the score attack element works well.  My only real gripes are the slightly weird screen push problem that can occur in co-op (a player being left behind feels a bit wrong for the series), one or two too many repeated boss fights (essential to the genre, but even so...) and the fact that numerous stones appear deliberately unturned with an eye on DLC.  This could have been the complete package, but it probably won't be for another 18 months or so, and I'm fine with that. 

As a series update it's even better than the excellent Sonic Mania, and I fully endorse this trend of faithfully updating franchises without fucking with the elements that made existing fans fans.  All eyes on Battletoads (titter).  [10] 

It's not really a 10, but it gets a lockdown point for arriving at just the right time to cheer all the old Segaboys up. 
  • 14. R-type II (Arcade) - 45mins

I played this on the Dimensions collection, which is the definitive versions of I & II afaik. It has updated graphics which you can change to the original on the fly which is always really nice.

I've always found R-Type incredibly hard, I don't think I'm particularly good at 2D shoot 'em ups, but I completed a few on NES and Mega Drive back in the day so I'm not completely useless at the genre.

I'm not sure if it's me or if it's generally regarded as one of the tougher shoot 'em ups. In all honesty I find it to hard to get much enjoyment out of.

A harsh score then for an entry in a legendary series, but I could easily name 20 other shoot 'em ups I'd rather play over this, including the much improved R-type Delta imo.

5/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Delta and Final are the pinnacle of the R-Type series IMO
  • @Wariospeedwagon nice! I've still not played 3, despite owning it for about 20 years and loving the first two. Really need to get around to it at some point.

Yeah man, reckon you'll like it!  I thought it was just as good as the others, though the consensus says it's slightly behind.  Worth a look anyway.

Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The release of Streets of Rage 4 is like when a big wrestler returns to the ring and all the pretenders continue to strut their stuff with as much gusto as they ever did, but everyone knows the Big Daddy is back.  I probably shouldn't have gone for a wrasslin' analogy as I've never really seen it, but I imagine that's what happens.

That's pretty much dead on actually!

Great review for a great game.  Can't believe how well it's turned out.  Will be doing the Switch double dip on the first sale.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Questor wrote:
    Delta and Final are the pinnacle of the R-Type series IMO

Delta is great, never played Final unfortunatley.

There's a Final II coming out soon for current gen apparently.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That Royal Rumble vid is lol. I thought he was going to rip his trousers off during the entrance, but that's just the way he stands as part of his routine???

Also considering a double dip for online play/access to four pads locally but I've built up a fair amount of XP for secrets on the Bone version already. I think I'll order a copy from Limited Run.
  • 7. Resident Evil 3 [7]
    This does well in distinguishing itself from the Resi 2 remake year and making something different of Nemesis after Mr X. The first couple of hours in particular set a great pace, with some nice set pieces and the relentless threat of the big guy creating an almost Terminator-like atmosphere. It's a shame it can't keep that up, and the back half of the game is almost all indoors, with Nemesis relegated to boss duties. The curtailed length isn't necessarily an issue on its own, but some sections just aren't interesting enough because they lack substance. It's still a solid game because the foundations are there from last year, but also pretty disappointing. 

8. Final Fantasy VII Remake [9]
    This gets so much right as a remake of one of my favourite games, and works well as a modern JRPG. Most of all it gets the locations and characters spot on, fleshing them out in ways that feel consistent with how I always imagined them. Sometimes it's enough to simply look up, or down, in Midgar to be struck by the remarkable structure of the place. And if the incidental dialogue and verbal sparring isn't Naughty Dog level, it does more than enough to give the main cast plenty of personality. It's great to see something with such iconic design as FFVII re-realised with current gen tech, while retaining the unique tone of the original.

Not that that would count for much on its own, but fortunately the adjusted combat is really very good, especially the way materia is deployed again to add tactical considerations to a more action heavy fighting style. Best of all, it feels like something new and yet faithful at the same time, as you switch between characters and wait your turn for moments to trigger powerful attacks and spells.

The game's problems come from stretching out the original's opening section to a full length game. There's padding, bland side quests, and a lack of pace in some of the important story sequences. It's also very linear for the most part, because you're mostly restricted to a particular area at any given time. Still I'd rather have the excess than trim it right down, because at least it has the scope of an RPG this way. It doesn't take too much out of the story and themes either, which are mostly well delivered, with some emotional punch as ever. Even the ending, as overblown as it is, promises interesting things going forward.

In all honesty, I know it's not that good if you look at the overall quality compared to some other modern AAA games. But a lot of the issues are also what make it work as a remake, such as a commitment to making room for traditional JRPG dungeons, which I really appreciate. And most of all, the first play through I had of it was one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've had in years. I don't think that's pure nostalgia, it's also down to the enduring excellence of the source material, and the care with which it's been treated to create another hugely memorable adventure.
  • 9. Streets of Rage 4 [9]
    A perfectly judged sequel after all these years. Does enough to feel modern and add some extra depth, but always feels like it's building carefully on the original foundations. It's great that they made it reasonably short and replayable, rather than bulking it up too much. But really pretty much everything about it just feels right and the new visual style, soundtrack and mechanics make perfect sense. Perhaps they could have done even more in terms of characters and enemy variety, and there are some minor frustrations with uneven difficulty, but that's being picky.

10. Uncharted 4 [6]
    Got this on PS+ and thought I should see what it's all about, although I've not really wanted to play it before. It's pretty much what I expected, which is very impressive on one hand and not really fun or interesting to play on the other. It's the kind of game style I associate with the early 360/PS3 days, where it's like a movie, but a movie where you've been asked to stand in for the leading actor at the last minute, and sort of bumble through as best you can.

It nearly always wants you to do something very specific, so you spend the time looking around for the thing that you can interact with and then interact with it. Sometimes it's not obvious what that is, so you get confused and wish it would just tell you what it wants. A lot of the time you find the thing and interact with it, and you've not had to think about what you're trying to achieve or why that's the solution. You just know it's right because it's there and has a button prompt next to it. This all takes place in the most incredibly detailed environments I've seen in any game, and yet it never asks you to think about how they fit together. You can pretty much tune them out for the most part to focus on the one path forward.

I've also never seen a game with cinematic pretensions make the same things happen so many times. It's basically a joke within the game that bridges and platforms collapse, or another bunch of mercenaries turns up exactly when you expect, but that doesn't make it any less absurd. The many combat scenes throughout the many chapters barely evolve either. By the end, some of the enemies have more armour and bigger weapons, but otherwise the fights are the same as the ones at the beginning. They're often really confusing too. It's a strange decision to have so many battles against large groups of enemies, when fewer battles against fewer, more interesting enemies would make more sense narratively and be more enjoyable. They could also cut out nonsense like recharging health then, which makes the whole thing feel farcical.

Still, the animation is really good of course. The chatter between characters is as advanced as anything I've seen anywhere (although the game drags on so long, even that's wearing thin well before the end). The views are often stunning if you stop to look around. And there are a couple of good set pieces that aren't repeated to death.

But it's such a strange beast overall. It goes to all that trouble to build believable places and characters, then almost none at all to maintain the illusion as soon as it has to be a game. It's all so perfectly streamlined and user-friendly, with everything considered to make the experience run smoothly, but at the same time it somehow manages to make an exciting, exotic adventure feel bland and tedious. That's actually quite an achievement.
  • You probably should have played Uncharted 2 instead, the series has been on a downward spiral since then.

The collection is free atm until May 5th, regardless of what you think of them it's well worth adding to anyone's library.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nah, 4 is the best of the bunch. Jon won’t like any of the others if he doesn’t like 4.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Jon's order would be 2>4>1>3, which is slightly wrong but not massively so.
  • Yeah, I got the Collection for free. It's unlikely I'll ever play any of it. After all, the best thing by far about this one was how good it looked.
  • 38. Super Buster Bros - SNES (50mins)

Always enjoyed two player Pang on my mate's Amiga in the early 90s, but assumed a ball bounce puzzler where you control the character would've aged pretty horribly.  Turns out I was wrong, it's stood the test of time pretty well.  It's fairly simplistic in the Bubble Bobble one screen mould. with various puzzle patterns that require planning by the back half of the game.  Plans go awry and it plays well when you're readjusting in a flap.  For what it is, which isn't quite my cup of tea, it's very good.  I played on Easy and was glad to have save states by the end, so I'd imagine Normal mode would be well beyond my patience threshold.  Loses a few points for a bizarre lack of two player mode on SNES, which is near Final Fight levels of crying shame.  84%

c2020ae860b80cba0a87fc0a4caa9d3c.gif
  • 39. Splasher - Switch (3hrs)

Excellent checkpoint platform game recommended by monkey a page or so back.  I liked the sound of it but wasn't expecting it to be quite as good as it is.  The fact that such an inventive and well executed platformer can be - to the best of my knowledge - lost in the flotsam and jetsam of the indie market speaks volumes about the levels of choice these days.  Aside from the obvious goings on rn, what a time to be alive (nabbed it for £4 too).  

This starts quite well and gradually improves with each and every upgrade, yet never makes the 'too many abilities' faux pas.  The final unlock is so good a couple of stages reach Meat Boy heights.  It's getting late and I'm up early so I'll leave it there (read monkey's review for more thorough thoughts), but this is in the upper tier for me, relegating Mr & Ms. Splosion Man.  Graphics are appealing too, it scales in and out exceptionally well, which doesn't sound noteworthy until you play it, but the close-up sections are always welcome as it looks so chunky & nice.  A lot of games go for this visual style these days, but not many pull it off successfully.  Might be one for @acemuzzy. 8.5 rounded up to [9]

InfatuatedUglyAngora-size_restricted.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mmm. Not heard of it. What platforms, I wonder...

Edit: all of them, it seems...
  • Well, it is a platform game...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yes. Yes...
  • Not all of them.  No clouds or ice blocks, for example.  No bridges erroneously claiming to be made out of cheese either.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Nnnggg

It's £12 not £4 - frickin switch tax
  • It's worth that I'd say but there's no point these days, it'll be on sale soon enough.  

40. Pocket Mini Golf - Switch (80 mins)

None too shabby ultra cheapo (£1.50ish full price) minigolf game that's hamstrung by its mobile roots.  The paywall stuff hasn't really been adjusted for console play so you have to grind, a lot, to collect enough gems to get through the single player.  Even then the levels just start to repeat past 60 or so.  Entertaining enough if you find sinking balls in holes relaxing, and probably fun in the interesting looking mp mode, but only really worth a punt if you're jonesing for some crazy galf.  There's no snap, so it's just aim, power and shoot, but it's a decent enough Flash type while it lasts. [6]

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd-UN_A5x7wKIwK0m2Sruh_sZHbMrQWJL-WutgQZIPAi66D-ugfg&s
  • I should get to double-figures this year. Lockdown is helping. Did I manage it last year?

Have 2 games on the go that I can finish soon. Plus another 2 that will take a while. Short games on Game Pass will boost it too.
  • 15. Super Buster Bros. (Arcade) - 2hrs
    16. Super Buster Bros. (SNES) - 1hr 15mins

There's really not much to say about this. It's perfect for what it is and a great co-op game to boot.

The only problem with the collection on PlayStation is it's just the arcade game, which is to say it's tough as nails and has no home console sensibilities such as saves or passwords.

Obviously I had the luxury of save states and without them this would have been high on impossible. It's one thing to complete a level after 20 consecutive tries, but quite another to restart and get back to said level and complete it with however many lives you may have left.

Enter the SNES version. After finding out about the PS collection I pretty much dismissed this. How wrong I was to do so.

Instead of a straight port the game has some arcade perfect levels, some arranged arcade levels that are made slightly easier, and exclusive levels. This alone makes it more of a companion title than a poor port.

But what the game gets right like many home ports of arcade games did, is adjusting the difficulty. 

Arcade games by nature as we all know were designed to be quarter munchers. The SNES game is still tough, but it's just easier enough to make it more manageable and fun. 

If I'd owned both of these when they were contemporary, I could have seen myself completing the SNES game but giving up on the arcade version on the PS collection.

With that being said before I make a FINAL decision in this FIGHT, there's one unfortunate omission from the SNES game... co-op.

It really is a shame. We all know about the systems slow processor and as an early title it might have proved to difficult to get it running without to much slow down. If only it had come out a year or so later, I'm sure the developers would have had the experience to get around it.

Arcade unsurprisingly wins, but not by the massacre I expected.

Arcade - 9/10
    SNES - 8/10
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 17. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS) - 45mins 

Playing through some games on my modded PS Classic, I thought I'd delete this curio after a few rounds but actually saw it through with Ken.

I always thought this was meant to be a terrible unplayable mess? Seemed fine on the surface tbh. I'm sure missing frames and hit detection differences make this terrible for experts ala HD Remix, but I strung together all the basics with specials and supers with no problems. 

It felt like SSFII Turbo enough to me, maybe if I'd played for longer and with a few different characters I would have started to notice its faults.

Of course it's not worth playing over SSFII Turbo, and it's redundant to anyone who doesn't have a soft spot for the terrible movie its based on like me.

One I'll keep on the Classic which I was not expecting.

6/10 

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What do the digitised graphics look like these days?
  • Worse than PS MK Trilogy, but better than the 16-Bit versions. For what it is they're ok.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 17.Streets of Rage 4 - 2 Hours - 8/10 - Xbox One X

Never really played anything in the genre bar Metal Slug and Super Probotector but the hype around this was huge and as it was on Gamepass it made it a no brainer...and thank god it was. Absolutely aces, such great character to the entire product and obviously made with love. The attention to detail and gorgeous graphics satiated my eyes, the score is awesome and fits perfectly with the beat, and the comic style story sequences are sumptuous.

I’m not great at it being a bit of a beginner to the genre now, but it’s good enough to make me want to get better and play through the originals and maybe some similar series available now.
  • 18. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - 2hr 30mins 

This started off in jaw dropping fashion, but once the novelty of the tech wore of it revealed a merely good on rails shooter instead of a revolution of a genre that's lost its way.

Like the Wii shooters before it they just can't match the feeling of holding a light gun and actually aiming.

That's not to say it's not good, I really did enjoyed it, but it's not a patch on Virtua Cop etc.

8/10 

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 41. Fight 'N Rage - Switch (80 mins)

Decent arcade style scrolling beat 'em up.  Was 50% off before SOR4 arrived, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered, but it was pretty well received among fans of the genre so I thought I'd take a punt on it.  The moveset is a bit 1991-ish, so this is feels closer to the games on the Capcom Beat 'em up bundle than the very best the genre has to offer (albeit better than any of those in fairness*), but that's fine, I knew this going in.  The visuals are appealing enough, although the excellent CRT cab/scanline effects are doing some of the heavy lifting.  Won't set anyone's world alight in this day and age, but it's 3-player, which is nice, has three very distinct characters (and presumably more to unlock), numerous modes, scope for juggle combos, parry moves and multiple routes.  It gets a bit tough in single player, even with constant crowd control planning, and waiting for the special to recharge is a bit annoying, but it's still fun.  If you've got room for more than a small handful of these games in your life it's well worth a look, especially with some mates round to bash the buttons with, but Streets of Rage 4 wipes the floor with it in all areas. [6]   

E9D80EAE5D6CAFED35FDF0BEEBB72FFEA82E0032

*I love Final Fight but it was usurped quite quickly as the genre king.  SOR1 is better, for example.  Much respect to FF, it's iconic as fuck, but it's also quite limited and a bit mean.
  • 5. Streets for Rage 4 (Xbox One) - 6/5 - 3hrs??
    Never played a SoR before, but it really is quite possibly the best beat ‘em up around. But that’s not saying much. This is one for the retro heads. Cos it’s amazing how far games have come and how unenjoyable these retro games can be.

SoR4 was enjoyable in some parts but I just found the whole experience a bit frustrating. Too many enemies with insta-moves, getting trapped between attacks, being bounced from one attack to the other, getting rushed - cancelling moves into a dodge or something like that would’ve done wonders. Other little frustrations too spoil the game. I was also disappointed there were no stages in a different style to break up the repetition like a chase sequence or something.

Still, thankfully I didn’t pay for it , it was on Game Pass. I’ll mark it up a notch for that.
    [6]
  • 17. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS) - 45mins
    I remember being really impressed when I rented that one with my next door neighbour back in the day.  Even the rental clerk urged us to not get it and wait 'til Alpha came out.  Gee it was only an overnight rental!  We enjoyed it!
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
      E9D80EAE5D6CAFED35FDF0BEEBB72FFEA82E0032

Love the look of this.  Almost a Secret of Mana beat em up look or something, really nice.  Not interested in playing it right now but will put it on the wish list.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!