2020 52 Games in 1 Year Challenge!!
  • 16: The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit (XB1) 4/10
    17: Life Is Strange 2 (XB1) 5/10

Captain Spirit is the demo/accompanying chapter to Life Is Strange 2.  I didn’t find it enjoyable but it did add a bit more enjoyment to LIS2.  

I’m a big fan of the first game and prequel but this fell a bit flat.  Think this mainly comes down to the lead characters - Max and Chloe from the early games are two of my favourite game characters.  Meanwhile Sean and Daniel from LIS2 didn’t do much for me.  They are brothers and their relationship is believably written but they both grated on me for various reasons.  Also the supernatural hook doesn’t lead to the fun game sections like they did in LIS1.

Without liking the main characters I started picking apart the plot and their motivations (too many time I didn’t follow why the characters were doing the stuff they were).  I think the first games had a few issues in this regard but I still loved them.  Also there’s less reason to explore the environments and I get exponentially less out of it.  

It still has some good stuff, notably some fun teen/young adult relationships.  Stuff I don’t see much in games.  I wish there was so much more of this.  Like the first half hour of the game I was all in, but it quickly changes tack.  It does change things up a lot, and each chapter was very little like I expected it to be.

When it goes for action and tension and all that stuff it can get pretty boring.  There are some pretty pissweakly written bad guys to contend with too.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    1: (Fuck yeah 4 months in I have 'completed' a game...wooo!) Animal Crossing New Horizons (Switch) 90 hrs

Yes there's no completing this game, but I have paid off all my home loans, had my KK Slider concert and seen the credits roll, so I'm calling it a completion, and at 90 hours played so far it's more than probably any other game I play this year! And I'm certainly not stopping playing any time soon, gotta get the house sorted :P
    Super chill, easy to pick up and just potter around for an hour or two after work, to de-stress from corona bullshit. I have loved all the other games (though I didn't play the Wii one) so I was probably never going to dislike this. I will say however that the constant dialogues and lack of simple Quality of Life options (batch crafting, the ability to turn off the fucking puns after EVERY critter catch) drag this down to an [8]
  • 31. Sparkster - Megadrive (75 mins)

Finished this today.  I thought it was awful at first but it soon won me over.  It's no RKA (very few 16-bit games are) and while it's clearly a downgrade overall it's still a pretty good game.  Visually there's nowhere near as much spit and polish as Megadrive owners had the right to expect based on the likes of Tiny Toons, Castlevania Bloodlines etc.  It's all a wee bit budget for 1994 really (bear in mind Dynamite Headdy/Pulseman were doing the rounds on MD in the same year), but some sections look nice enough. Things moved far quicker at the time though, so I'd say if this had been released in early '93 it would've been given a bit more leeway as a looker.

Level design was fine, nothing particularly worthy of praise perhaps, but there are a few neat ideas as expected from Konami.  The jetpack means bosses are mostly pretty good though, staying airborne for the the first boss was the point where I realised it was actually a decent game.  The sword takes too long to swing for my liking though - a quicker attack would've been preferable.  Music is okay, functional for the most part but with one or two noteworthy ditties.  

81% with my 1994 head on for Sparkster, but like most merely 'good' platformers from the era that equates to something far more miserly in modern money tbh.
  • 32. Q-YO Blaster - Switch (30 mins)

Credits have rolled, so in it goes. Horizontal forced scrolling shmup that's currently 89p, which is a ridiculous price for a genuinely competent shooter. Has multiple characters and weapon choices from the off, which presumably makes it fairly replayable, plus two difficultly levels, presumably for mortals and Gods. I went for beginner and had a blast. The power ups, pulse and super weapon all work well, the bullet waves aren't irritating and everything soaks damage & explodes in a meatily satisfying way. Probably deserves a [9] for the price, but I'll go with an [8] as it's usually closer to a tenner. Really enjoyed it.
  • Damn that looks like a bargain.  Might have to bight.
  • 17. Splasher (Switch)
    If Super Meat Boy did a sex with Splatoon, their offspring would resemble this. One of the Ubisoft Rayman people was heavily involved in this and there's a good hunk of that thrown in as well. Mostly very good. 2D platform your way past saw blades, lasers, slime and other familiar obstacles. Your guy has a cannon that fires water (to clean paint), red paint (to stick to walls and ceilings) and, for the final third of the game, yellow bouncy paint which is great fun. Combine these for enemy kills, light puzzle solving, and boinging and sproinging all around the place and dying frequently. It's good and from the hard-as-nails, compulsively addictive, one more go, holy fuck thank god that bits over, Celeste and Meat Boy sub-genre. £4 or so at the moment. 

Complaints - It's not as tight as Celeste or Meatboy, slightly over-sensitive on the controls for my tastes. Little mid-air course corrections can shoot you off in the wrong direction. It's mostly fine but means if you don't get a jump bang on, you've got less chance of intuitively saving yourself, slightly less fluid than the top-tier examples. Plenty of times I nearly nailed a landing but instincitvely readjusted towards the middle of a platform and ended up over-correcting off the edge. 

The checkpointing is a bit off as well. There's 22 stages divided by three or four checkpoints. The rough pattern of each of those is mild segments through to really tough segment, checkpoint then back to mild. So you end up spending most of the time rattling through the same mild segments to have another crack at the tough bit. Once you've played Celeste or dealt with the almost telepathic checkpointing in Rive, it's less tolerable (although in fairness both of these games were made after). Some of the collectables you only need to pick up on the first run, some you need to do everytime. So you end up repeating a lot of side-stuff that you've already got, or just getting sick of making the same tricky detour and leaving it. 

Neither of those issues would stop me from recommending it. The final few levels, it gets properly tough throughout. Run and fire bouncy paint at the floor to boing into the air and fire red paint mid air to stick to the ceiling, but now there's a time activated laser that will fire in a couple of seconds of detecting you, so run across the ceiling firing sticky paint at it as you go, then jump off then ceiling through a narrow gap to fire water at a activation switch to bring up a platform which you'll need to bounce off onto a wall that you have to run up but there's a moving cannon spraying drops of acid at the wall so you'll need to time it right but there's an enemy closing in on the platform you're on so you've got to get that first. If you get past all that there's a small platform where you can stand still for a second and catch your breath, before the next hellish sequence and maybe, hopefully, a checkpoint after that. Ah you jumped a split second too early. Try all that again. 
    [8]   
  • On the pile of shame it goes, sounds good.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    3 - Hellblade
    Great sound design, some really good visuals, mediocre fight mechanics and decent puzzles. With about 7 hours it's not too long, and it's worth to see the end, I enjoyed that. Play with headphones.

Onto Zone of the Enders 2 now, I've finished it years ago on the ps2, but since I'm building Gundam again I needed some slick robot designs.
  • 11. Resident Evil 2 (PS4) - 9hrs 45mins

Pretty much a perfect remake of one of my all timers.

10/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 12. Shinobi (Arcade) - 75mins

First time I've played this, it didn't disappoint and has aged quite well for the most part.

Only real negative is some cheap boss fights, but that was standard for most arcade games of the time.

The series only improved from here, but I think this is still worth a play for retro enthusiasts.

7/10

My list
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 34. Little Inferno - Switch (3hrs 50 mins)

This has been on my radar for years as World of Goo was one of my favourite games of the Wii360 gen.  I've never been quite sure what it is is exactly, which is probably why I waited for it to drop to £6.  

Turns out it's nothing like anything else I've played, it's marvellous, and it's also two player.  In handheld mode I presume it has touch screen controls, but it uses single JoyCons as pointers for co-op mode on a TV.  I might be one of the biggest moaners when it comes to the poor build quality of the JoyCons, but this is a tidy reminder of how versatile they are while they work properly.  Back to the game though, it's easily one of the best Wiiware titles I missed on Wii U, and probably in the top ten games for that console.  It makes less of a dent on a best of Switch list of course, but it's still a remarkable experience.  

So what is it then?  In an attempted nutshell it's a one screen game where you order items from a catalogue, each of which take a certain amount of seconds to be delivered.  Then you burn them in a fireplace when they arrive.  When they burn, money pops out which can be spent on more things.  The more things you buy, the more catalogues appear.  When you've unlocked all seven (iirc) catalogues the end game kicks in.  There's a cryptic puzzle element to item combos to speed progression along (successful combos yield vouchers for instant deliveries), for example if the combo clue were 'Lunar Cycle', you might want to try burning a moon alongside a bicycle.  This part is fundamental to the appeal, they're great fun to solve.

Along the way you receive letters from various other characters, but the less said about that side of it the better (due to spoilers, not crapness).  I played with Tilly and she was transfixed by all things Sugar Plumps.  

One-of-a-kind off-kilter gaming with a big heart and a dark streak.  Loved it.  [8]

SpryForcefulCowrie-size_restricted.gif
  • Ooh.  That one's sitting on my Wii U pile of shame...

Considering all the big games are getting (or have already gotten) Switch re-releases, I could probably whip through that pile in a couple of weeks.  Might be time to plug it back into the telly, then box it up for good.

18: Animal Crossing New Horizons (Switch) 5/10

Well I haven't played it in a week and don't feel the need to check in, so I guess that's that!

This is the sort of game where I enjoy reading about other people's experience and seeing what they've done with it.  Unless there's some kind of in game reward for being creative, I don't tend to do anything out of the ordinary.  On top of that I don't really like crafting.  In any case I found it to be really clunky to play, with repetitive text boxes slowing things down further.

My island was kind of functional.  No grand design. I guess it looked okay.  My house had nothing in it except a bed and KK Slider pictures on the walls.  The KK Slider pictures were fantastic and my favourite thing about the game.

Was mostly just checking in every evening to pick fruit to pay off my mortgage and dig holes to get fossils.  Felt like a chore.

Still happy to read articles about people finding quirky things to do with it; it's just not for me.

19: Persona 4 Golden (Vita) 10/10

Loved re-playing this.  This and Everybody's Golf are what I think about when I think of the Vita.  One of my absolute favourite JRPGs.

Enjoyed my time with Persona 3 earlier in the year, and while I'm not sure this has a better story and characters (They're pretty close & I'm leaning towards P4G right now.  That might be recency bias.  But this game does have the best ever kiddie in all video games (Nanako!) and Chie) it's certainly a lot more player-friendly.  The interface is a lot less clunky.  You can directly control all the party members in battle, and it's kind enough to let you re-start not TOO far back if you get killed.  That goes a long way.

Like P3 the draw for me is spending time with the different characters you meet.  Being the best and most selfless person you can be, and helping others to do the same.  It's very touching in places and the series seems to be really good in giving you characters who are worth getting to know.

The dungeons are okay and the battles are quite good but neither are the real draw for me.

It has a good sense of humour on the whole.  Not all of it has aged terribly well (If you want to crack up a Persona series writer, just show them a pic of a bloke in a skirt.  I bet most of them have a Carry On film in their top 10's too) but it did make me crack up or grin a bunch of times.  It has a sweet heart but it's not afraid to be a bit goofy from time to time. My favourite goofy bit is when the gang become a killer pop band for a minute.  

• Good P4G write-up, that.
  • It's a cracking game isn't it.

Started on P5R last night - I saw in another thread you mentioned P5's translation was a bit flat.  Playing it straight after P4G the writing is noticeably weaker, at least early on.  Still fun though.
  • I'm gonna buy Everybody's Golf on Vita, not sure why I never have.
  • 35. Whipseey and the Lost Atlas - Switch (40 minutes)

Mildly entertaining no frills Kirby type with fairly solid foundation in place for a better game.  With more levels and a bit of extra care tweaking the collision detection this could've been a decent budget type.  I had the six stages done in just over half an hour.  Professional reviews might reach for the phrase 'criminally short', but is it though? (Galaxy brain).  It's eighty nine pence at the moment, short games are far less of a swizz these days than they were when they retailed for £40ish in 1990.  This one reminds me of the Disney types of the era - pretty good while they last.  File alongside but slightly above Squidlit in the ultra budget 8-bit indie platform homage genre I will henceforth refer to as quidlits. [6] @89p, probably less than [5] at full price (£5).

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-1.gif
  • Doing that “price affects quality of game” thing again eh Moot
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Aye, with this sort of stuff sure. Any talk of 'revolutionary' can stay away from my 10s too; a top score for me is just an exceptionally good game.
  • 10s having to be revolutionary can do one.

It's all personal enjoyment which is what we want to know, you're not reviewing a game for a mass readership and have no responsibility to critique as such.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yar. The quality of a game isn't tied to its price per se, but the score at the bottom of my crappy internet reviews might be.
  • 36. Steamworld Quest - Switch (16hrs 03mins)

Waffly intro alert.  I've had an odd journey with the Steamworld games.  I started with Heist on 3DS, which is planted in the top half of my top 100 in Cinty's thread.  Then I forced myself to play Steamworld Dig on Vita, which I'd convinced myself I'd hate because of the procedurally generated layouts, and ended up loving that almost as much as Heist.  Then I stumped up for Dig 2 at launch on Switch, which is generally considered the best in the series, but wasn't quite as taken with it as the first, despite all proc gen stuff getting the boot.  Good game though.  Then they announced Quest, and my screwface had FFS written all over it thanks to the RPG card battle thing.  Turns out they'd curried enough favour with the other three, so I took the plunge anyway in a recent sale.  

....And it's not as good as it could have been, which is annoying as I liked it a lot more than I expected to.  The card battling is by far and away the highlight of the game, and managed to hold me in a grip of addiction long after the rest of the it had run out of steam (clones of earlier bosses are relentless in the final third).  The card mechanics might be considered simplistic to those in the know, but to the layperson (hello) it felt like a genuinely rewarding battle system, up there with anything turn based I'd care to mention that doesn't involve a movement grid.  I was hooked, well and truly.  I was also unexpectedly okay at it, as even the final guardians all fell at the first attempt (with minimal grinding along the way).  I only really struggled with one early-ish boss and one sub boss, the latter of which which forced me to play entirely differently to my physical attackers + healer preference.  Everything clicked and I always felt in control, which is quite rare for me with anything remotely similar.  Maybe cards are my jam?  Slay the Spire here I come.

I pretty much loved the combat, but everything else was just slightly irritating window dressing.  I tend to like the look of the Steamworld games, but wasn't keen on the visuals here.  The script was weak, the characters were dull, the plot was shit and the exploration is rote.  It would've been a much better experience without any of the standard RPG trappings.  [7], but there's a much better game in there somewhere.

ActiveSerpentineArizonaalligatorlizard-size_restricted.gif
  • monkey wrote:
    17. Splasher (Switch) If Super Meat Boy did a sex with Splatoon, their offspring would resemble this. One of the Ubisoft Rayman people was heavily involved in this and there's a good hunk of that thrown in as well. Mostly very good. 2D platform your way past saw blades, lasers, slime and other familiar obstacles. Your guy has a cannon that fires water (to clean paint), red paint (to stick to walls and ceilings) and, for the final third of the game, yellow bouncy paint which is great fun. Combine these for enemy kills, light puzzle solving, and boinging and sproinging all around the place and dying frequently. It's good and from the hard-as-nails, compulsively addictive, one more go, holy fuck thank god that bits over, Celeste and Meat Boy sub-genre. £4 or so at the moment.  Complaints - It's not as tight as Celeste or Meatboy, slightly over-sensitive on the controls for my tastes. Little mid-air course corrections can shoot you off in the wrong direction. It's mostly fine but means if you don't get a jump bang on, you've got less chance of intuitively saving yourself, slightly less fluid than the top-tier examples. Plenty of times I nearly nailed a landing but instincitvely readjusted towards the middle of a platform and ended up over-correcting off the edge.  The checkpointing is a bit off as well. There's 22 stages divided by three or four checkpoints. The rough pattern of each of those is mild segments through to really tough segment, checkpoint then back to mild. So you end up spending most of the time rattling through the same mild segments to have another crack at the tough bit. Once you've played Celeste or dealt with the almost telepathic checkpointing in Rive, it's less tolerable (although in fairness both of these games were made after). Some of the collectables you only need to pick up on the first run, some you need to do everytime. So you end up repeating a lot of side-stuff that you've already got, or just getting sick of making the same tricky detour and leaving it.  Neither of those issues would stop me from recommending it. The final few levels, it gets properly tough throughout. Run and fire bouncy paint at the floor to boing into the air and fire red paint mid air to stick to the ceiling, but now there's a time activated laser that will fire in a couple of seconds of detecting you, so run across the ceiling firing sticky paint at it as you go, then jump off then ceiling through a narrow gap to fire water at a activation switch to bring up a platform which you'll need to bounce off onto a wall that you have to run up but there's a moving cannon spraying drops of acid at the wall so you'll need to time it right but there's an enemy closing in on the platform you're on so you've got to get that first. If you get past all that there's a small platform where you can stand still for a second and catch your breath, before the next hellish sequence and maybe, hopefully, a checkpoint after that. Ah you jumped a split second too early. Try all that again.  [8]   

Currently playing this, I like it.  Not far in (only got the red paint gun a couple of stages back), but I'm already worrying about the little guys you have to save.  As usual with anything like this I'm saving the vast majority of them at this early stage, but I've always got half an eye on ditching optional stuff once it starts to get tricky.  How essential are the 154 little guys for progression?  Am I going to get to the final level and discover you can only enter it if you've rescued 140 of them?
  • I don’t think there’s gating. I think you need to do the levels in sequence and that’s it. I definitely know I never had a problem with it. Just checked and I finished with 119. Neary always missed out on the last guy that you only get for picking up every last drop of goo. Plenty I didn’t bother with and plenty I got but then couldn’t be arsed to get the tenth time of trying one bit.
  • That's what I wanted to hear, thanks.
  • 13. DOOM VFR (PS4) - 4hrs

Before I get into the game, my brief opinions on VR. It's the successor to the Wii for me, I like it but can rarely be arsed to sit up and play it against laying down with a pad.

Outside of Astro Bot and the odd on rails shooter it's left me a bit cold. It works well for a few select game styles just like the Wii, but more often than not I feel a traditional setup would be better.

Trying Resident Evil 7 in VR mode just cemented my thoughts even more, it was a horrific cumbersome mess.

Enter DOOM VFR...

At first I hated it, but after giving it a bit of time I realised they hadn't just made a DOOM 2016 add on pack with a VR mode. They have actually made some subtle changes to the mechanics that make it work about as good as a FPS can in VR.

The 45 degree quick turns are still here, and at first it's still disorienting, but once you learn to use it in tandem with the free look of your head it starts to feel... ok.

What's necessary to learn and get to grips with is the quick move function mapped to the D-Pad, the teleportation move and the 180 degree turn. You won't get far without mastering them, and once you do you start enjoying the game.

But, let's just say after playing this and DOOM 2016, I'm glad Eternal is just another traditional control pad game.

7/10

My list

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 20: Donkey Kong Country 3 (3DS) 8/10

So this year have finally gotten around to beating the SNES trilogy (although have gotten nowhere near COMPLETING them) and have to say I'm very impressed!  I enjoyed this one the most; I think that's due to taking a break after doing 1 & 2 pretty much back to back.  It seemed a bit more creative with the levels, lots of fun little gimmicks for each individual stage.  

I also liked that it had a semi-open over world you can explore with an upgradable vehicle.  Even though I didn't find many secrets it seemed kinda ahead it its time with that.

Not sure if I'm just getting more used to the games or if there were less difficulty spikes, but I didn't need to save scum as much this time!  Although the last set of levels were just brutal and outside of my abilities.  

But yes, great series and could easily see myself replaying them on the Snes mini over the years.  Had them pegged as style over substance and very happy to be wrong.
  • @Wariospeedwagon nice!

I've still not played 3, despite owning it for about 20 years and loving the first two.

Really need to get around to it at some point.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 4. Doom Eternal (Xbox One) - 30/4 - c25hrs
    Bigger, better and more badass!  Wait, wrong shooter series...
    I liked this more than the first.  Mainly due to what I think are better designed levels.  Pacing is great and the combat encounters are as frantic and adrenaline pumping as ever.  A couple of weak boss fights aside, there isn't much to complain about here.

After I finished the campaign, I went back via mission select and mopped up collectibles and just enjoyed whooping ass while dashing and jumping around and bathing in the glory (kills).  So satisfying.  Started the Extra Life Mode for the final campaign achievement but I think that'll be too much.

Would play again in the future, but for now I'm done.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!