Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Here's my idea. One person picks one song for the day and everybody puts it on loop play for a few times, until they actually know the song, like it or not, and then comments on the song, hating or loving, taking it to pieces if so desired. Not necessarily for favourite songs or groups, perhaps just something that's come around on your player or the radio or whatever. You might get some new music out of it or confirm your dislike of certain genres, who knows. If there's any interest, I'll choose someone for tomorrow and then they will and so on.

Anyway, this is something that pops up on my walkman on a fairly regular basis and is getting into my head. Nice slice of pop/rock catchiness. Love their guitar sound, beefy drums and the organ. Retro style production also appeals to me. Let it into your head then comment. 

• Silly Kow!
  • Silly Kow!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Seems like a reasonable idea to me.
  • In the off topic bit perhaps.
  • I'm game.

The chords are kind of boring me. The vocals aren't gruff or otherwise idiosyncratic enough to keep me hooked, though maybe that's the production's fault.

If there's going to be a scratchy guitar in there, I think I want it higher in the mix. This isn't exactly a biting or chaotic piece of rock music and that's a pity.

I do like the kickdrum-driven beat, but again I think it's a bit overpolitely engineered.

Were this record a sandwich it would be: Chicken salad on allegedly 'artisinal' but functionally quite sugary white.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Shite, I put it in the wrong topic section, yes.

Fixed.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'm game. The chords are kind of boring me. The vocals aren't gruff or otherwise idiosyncratic enough to keep me hooked, though maybe that's the production's fault. If there's going to be a scratchy guitar in there, I think I want it higher in the mix. This isn't exactly a biting or chaotic piece of rock music and that's a pity. I do like the kickdrum-driven beat, but again I think it's a bit overpolitely engineered. Were this record a sandwich it would be: Chicken salad on allegedly 'artisinal' but functionally quite sugary white.

Cool, that's what I want.
  • Kow wrote:
    Seems like a reasonable idea to me.

It's a more than reasonable idea.
  • Nice idea Kow.
    I quite like this track. It's a good album to have on in the car when out for a drive on the old twisting country roads.

kinetic

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Listened 4 times now. Did not like.

Vocals were too weedy, especially with the trill harmonies and keyboard underneath. Seemed to be trying be more aggressive than Coldplay but fell short of having some actual grunt.

Was very flat, needed a key change for a big finish but instead just stops.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok, good. I like their previous album better, more blues styled. Guitarist is pretty good in a Fleetwood Mac style, doesn't come across in this track. That said I do like this song a lot.
  • I like this, but I'm a big fan of these guys.

I thought Brook's comment about it being overpolitely engineered was spot on though, it's very mainstream sounding.

Not their best by a long way, but still good :).
  • Listened to it a good few times now, so it's definitely in my head. Keep on meaning to get into the Black Keys but never get around to it. Much more mainstream than the other stuff of theirs I've heard (love thickfreakness), seems to be down to the vocals mainly - they've fine, but nothing special. Would have preferred a dirtier guitar sound as well, but yeah, it's a decent enough track. Might have to go shopping.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The album has a much more mainstream feel and production to it than their previous stuff. But I like them enough to get over it.
  • Drums are okay, in that old-fashioned Motown-style stomp. Didn't like the 'soulful' female backing vocals, didn't add much to me other that make it seem more bland. It sounds a bit like early Clinic, but with the idiosyncrasies ironed out. That keyboard or whatever it is farting away in the background should be demented and on the verge of falling out of tune at all times, Sister Ray-style. 

Didn't pick up anything of the lyrics.

Album cover picture is merely perfunctory, pretty lazy. I'm guessing it's mean to convey some kind of authenticity or is just another ironic retro hipster signifier. Remember when people had naff vehicles like this?

I'm picturing the chorus used in some kind of advert, with irritatingly twee girls in flowery dresses dancing about in slow motion, some kind of cheesy tagline about it being 'the time of your life' or some such shit.

It's quite bland, sounded like the Killers.
  • Bland is the word. It's vanilla ice cream.

There's a decent song in there but there's been little effort to try and make it into something distinctive. If you were in a bar and this came on, you wouldn't notice.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good thread, good tune. Reminds me of Arcade Fire.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Funny, their stuff stands out for me and I wouldn't dream of listening to the killers etc.

Don't think there are any female backing vocals?
  • I can't think of any band I hate more than the Black Keys at the moment. To me their songs are insanely repetitive, bland, unadventurous. Just pointless, pointless, pointless. It's like every song you've ever heard mashed up into one, all of the good and bad. Absolutely infuriating how everyone seems to love them. Give me something with a bit of an edge, please.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message

?
  • ZMM wrote:
    I can't think of any band I hate more than the Black Keys at the moment. To me their songs are insanely repetitive, bland, unadventurous. Just pointless, pointless, pointless. It's like every song you've ever heard mashed up into one, all of the good and bad. Absolutely infuriating how everyone seems to love them. Give me something with a bit of an edge, please.

Well it'd be a shit old world if everybody just loved what you loved wouldn't it? I don't really care about the Black Keys but I'd rather people loved them than One Direction or Cheryl Cole or whatever.
  • Can honestly state I prefer that U2 number to the OP. What a world.
  • Can I just point out that the Black Keys album cover annoys the hell out of me. That is NOT an El Camino.

And I hate U2. With a passion. I'd love to introduce St. Bono to a pack of hungry lions with bacon strapped all over him.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Cheer up, he's made a fortune today by sitting on his arse whilst Facebook floated.

On top of the fortune he makes every day sitting on his arse.

Still, he's bald and I'm not so who's laughing now?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Can honestly state I prefer that U2 number to the OP. What a world.

It's got a beat, I'll give them that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's wrong with mainstream?
  • Nowt, if music moves you, enjoy it in any form, apart from Mika, then you must die.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's usually shit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    My most anticipated album this year is by the Scissor Sisters. All aboard the mainstream train, woo woo!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm not getting it. Either it's good or shit. The popularity of it doesn't come into it, Shirley?
‹ Previous123456718

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!