Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • I think I'm just about done with Plok, for a couple of reasons.

1. My SNES emulation keeps crashing when I quicksave.  Roughly one in three times at present, which requires a hard reset of the Caanoo (so roughly 90 seconds of fiddling about to get back in).
    2. The bosses are kicking my arse.  Even with quicksaves. 

I put over three hours in, and it's a shame I won't be finishing it as I've played through everything else in this thread, but it's just unpleasantly hard at times. An above average game for those with patience, but I seriously doubt I would have completed this without cheats even in my gaming obsession heyday.

74%.  

Choose your Illusion net week.
  • Plok was a bastard. In its defence:

• Is sorta cool that gfx tech is sufficiently robust now that you could actually do a game in the style of the boxart.
  • Hi guys, i'm new here.

My friend tigerswiftly mentioned to me about this forum. I happen to have Plok!, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Yoshi's Island as probably my three favourite games of all time.

I'm a big fan of 2D games in general, especially the whole WarioWare series. To me, that's what gaming is all about. Not all this 3D bullshit. The 'worlds hardest game' (the online flash one) is just a whole load of squares, and is mega fun.

So yeah, plok is just simply amazing. To diss Plok is almost, to me, as uninformed as dissing Tetris. Apparently Bubsy the bobcat (who I saw mentioned earlier in a post) overshadowed Plok, and that's why Plok became a sleeper hit. Bubsy is so inferior.

For me, what makes Plok! so great is the music (which is listenable even without the game, and soulful) and the control system. The parts where you lose all your limbs and have to slide down everything are just genius.

I have never actually completed Plok!, and actually, part of me never wants to.
  • Welcome to the B&B eze.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Thanks!

By the way, plants vs zombies is another one of my favourite games. They have made it free for halloween.

http://www.stopzombiemouth.com/
  • I'm glad it wasn't me who mentioned Bubsy then; I have now played both, as a retro gamer, and can concur that Plok is most definitely superior (although surprisingly Bubsy wasn't entirely unplayable, I have to say).  Plok seems to be one of those games that I'd be more fond of had I played it in '94, but as a first time experience in 2012 (to a fellow 2D enthusiast), I thought it edged towards the unreasonable side of hard, and I found the detachable limb attack a bit cumbersome.  Don't hate me, I'd still rather be frustrated with Plok than play Unreal Powered Testicles on Sleeveathon: Mumcuss Edition.      

Welcome to the forum, feel free to recommend us (mainly me admittedly) some 2D classics/underrated gems to play in the coming weeks.  The current schedule is in the original post.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm glad it wasn't me who mentioned Bubsy then; I have now played both, as a retro gamer, and can concur that Plok is most definitely superior (although surprisingly Bubsy wasn't entirely unplayable, I have to say).  Plok seems to be one of those games that I'd be more fond of had I played it in '94, but as a first time experience in 2012 (to a fellow 2D enthusiast), I thought it edged towards the unreasonable side of hard, and I found the detachable limb attack a bit cumbersome.  Don't hate me, I'd still rather be frustrated with Plok than play Unreal Powered Testicles on Sleeveathon: Mumcuss Edition.       Welcome to the forum, feel free to recommend us (mainly me admittedly) some 2D classics/underrated gems to play in the coming weeks.  The current schedule is in the original post.

I like the difficulty of plok. I think it helps to counteract the friendly colours. When you get to the bobbin bros. for the first time, it's like "woah, this isn't so cutesy after all". I'm not going to battle anyone about their views about 'Plok!', after all, it's just what I believe.

For me, my top 10 games of all time (If I was to recommend some to people) are:

1. Donkey kong country 2 (DKC 1 is unplayable once you play this one, 3 is unbearably hard and charmless)
    2. Yoshi's Island (I don't know what people see in SMW1, *compared to this* seriously)
    3. Plok! 
    4. Theme hospital (A more polished sequel not coming out is a crime)
    5. Wario Ware: Minigame mania
    6. Advance Wars 1 (Such a good storyline and feeling)
    7. Okami (Possibly the first game to make me laugh?!)
    8. Day of the tentacle (Me and my sisters completed this together back in the 56k days. Everything is just so twisted and lovely)
    9. Tetris DX (I like the multi user design, but not the cheat where the pieces go back to the top :-/ )
    10. Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney (The way the music changes makes me jump every time)
    EDIT: Oh my god, I missed out Resident Evil 4!

I know this isn't a 1 to 10 posting thingy, but hey. That's pretty much all I have to say about gaming anyway.
  • 2. Yoshi's Island (I don't know what people see in SMW1, *compared to this* seriously)

Good call - Quite possibly the best 2D platformer ever IMO

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • SMW was a different game. Can't compare the two really. They are both amazing.

Not sure what you see in DKC games, they were a bit shit. At least the first one was anyway, didn't bother with the other 2 as a result.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Actually YI and DKC are of a similar vein - relying on their looks quite a bit- so it's not a surprise to see them on the same list. Having said that I'd put YI way above the DKC games - (and to be honest most other platformers) but a bit below SMW.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I know this isn't a 1 to 10 posting thingy, but hey. That's pretty much all I have to say about gaming anyway.

Don't worry, most people on games forums love lists (the process is usually as follows: someone posts a thread requesting lists, a few people moan about another thread requesting lists, then the replies start flooding in anyway).  Some great games there - WarioWare and Yoshi's Island are within a hair's breadth of my top ten.  Here's what most of us thought at the time of writing, if you fancy a look.  The first half is kindly summed up by adkm if you skip to page 10.
  • Week eight: 220pxgnruseyourillusion.jpg

Take your pick from Sega/Disney's excellent Illusion series, so Castle of Illusion (Megadrive), Castle of Illusion (Master System/Game Gear), World of Illusion (Megadrive), Land of Illusion (Master System/Game Gear) or Legend of Illusion (Master System/Game Gear).  It think it's fine to stretch the rules slightly to include further, non Illusion Sega/Disney titles, so you could also pick from The Lucky Dime Caper (Master System/Game Gear), Quackshot (Megadrive) and Deep Duck Trouble (Master System/Game Gear). 

Whether you're fighting Mizrabel or Magica de Spell (this isn't going to rhyme, don't worry), there's tonnes of retro fun to be had firing plunger guns, bum bouncing on the heads of grandfather clocks, swimming in cups of tea or smashing lions in the face with mallets.  I've never played Deep Duck Trouble or Legend of Illusion, but without vouching for those titles, that's a cracking list to choose from.  The Master System version of Castle of Illusion is one of THE great 8-bit platformers for me.  I'm pretty sure Escape agrees, iirc.  Once upon a mouse...

disney00.jpg

I've called it 'Choose Your Illusion' to annoy Retroking after he spent ages making that image. 
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've called it 'Choose Your Illusion' to annoy Retroking after he spent ages making that image.

3685668_o.gif
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I dabbled in Castle and World on the MD a few weeks ago when I was playing with the emulator. They're both a bit dull TBH, with slow control response and some pretty uninspired design. And despite being generally quite easy they can be unfair, with enemies suddenly flying into view when you've already started a jump and being unavoidable (and respawning the moment you scroll the screen back). Basic platforming even for the time, especially as the second one is probably post Super Mario World.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Master System version of Castle of Illusion is one of THE great 8-bit platformers for me.  I'm pretty sure Escape agrees, iirc.  Once upon a mouse...
    I played the Master System Castle over the weekend. Took a couple of hours with state saves which is the only way I play these things now. Not taking the piss with them or anything but I definitely try and take the tedium out of difficulty spikes. 

These games have got some special memories for me. The Lucky Dime Caper and Castle of Illusion were some of the first computer games I ever played. Quackshot was one of the first MD titles I played. Castle of Illusion holds up really well. Cutesy cartoon graphics tend to stand up the best over time. The bum bouncing mechanic is enjoyable enough when you get to chain them up or turn it into a hillslide. Very megaman-esque level design. The soundtrack is wonderful. The bosses range from hard to piss easy and that doesn't match with what stage you are in the game but that's a small gripe. Another gripe is the physics of Mizrabel's bouncy balls things in the final battle (they pass right through the top set of platforms. Why?)

In terms of the greats of the era, its up there.
  • Hear, hear.  Much better than its big brother imo (the Megadrive version is far better than JonB suggests though, for me anyway, although I do agree with some of his complaints).  The Lucky Dime Caper was also superb - I haven't played it for years but I can still remember the music.  A fair bit trickier than Castle too.
  • Completed Castle (MD) will post my thoughts at the weekend. Gonna do my best to play Castle (MS) and one other.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I completed Land (MS), which was very good, but not as good as its predecessor.  Perhaps nostalgia has clouded my judgement though.  Music not as memorable, graphics not quite as crisp, but longer and more varied, albeit with a little less charm.  87%
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mickey's Magical Quest is another one of this type I've spent some time on recently - it was a very early SNES release by Capcom and is rather good. It's typical early 90's fare and variation comes from the various costumes that Mickey can don that have their own moves etc.

There's a grab and spin move that throws enemies away but in some cases makes them helicopter up the level - so you can grab them to access hidden sections. All of these platformers, including the excellent Castle of Illusion on the Megadrive, suffer in comparison with Super Mario World though. I'm still rather fond of Quackshot though - I think something more could have been made of the plunger mechanic.

If you are looking for a decent post-Mario platformer then I'd recommend Rainbow Bell Adventures or Buster Busts Loose on SNES - maybe for a future week (probably need to give platformers a rest for a while though)?

• I watched some Youtube vids of Rainbow Bell Adventures a few weeks ago, researching forgotten SNES classics, it looked really good.

That counts as two votes for Tiny Toons as Reg voted for it early on. Will put it in the schedule after a non-platformer or two.
  • If you want a shooter I'd still recommend Gynoug/Wings of Wor. Played it again recently and it's still very enjoyable. Might be a good change of pace.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

For a shooter SNES-wise you are limited - but I can vouch for Super Aleste aka Space Megaforce, RType III and Pop n Twinbee. Never played Axelay.

Megadrive-wise I'd vote for Sub-Terrania - a quite lovely thrust-em-up.

• wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    For a shooter SNES-wise you are limited - but I can vouch for Super Aleste aka Space Megaforce, RType III and Pop n Twinbee. Never played Axelay.

Megadrive-wise I'd vote for Sub-Terrania - a quite lovely thrust-em-up.

Super Aleste is a great game.

For the megadrive Musha Aleste is great.
  • I second Gynoug.

And, erm, third Buster Breaks Loose.
  • New schedule:

Week eight (29/10): *Choose Your Illusion* (take your pick from Sega's excellent Illusion series)
    Week nine (05/11): Snake, Rattle 'N Roll (NES)
    Week ten (12/11): Flashback (Amiga, Megadrive, SNES)
    Week eleven (19/11): Gynoug (Megadrive)
    Week twelve (26/11): Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose (SNES)
    Week thirteen (03/12): Super Aleste (SNES)
    Week fourteen (10/12): Back to the Future III (Megadrive)
    Week fifteen (17/12): Sub-Terrania (Megadrive)

Re-jigged so it's less platformy.  I'd bumped BttFIII back a bit because it's bound to be on telly at Christmas.  Sub-Terrania is one of my favourite MD games.  I tried to complete it again last month and failed near the end, will happily give it another go.
  • Made some positive progress last night towards actual participation. So hopefully soon...
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • davyK wrote:
    Axelay was pretty amazing at the time, and not too tough. R-Type 3 gets very harsh after a few levels. There's always the Parodius games of course - surely we have to do one of those at some point.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - I went back to Super Parodius recently(SNES) and I was surprised how good a job was made of that compared to the peerless Sega Saturn version. 

But really, Super Aleste on the SNES is an amazing tech achievement (loads of things going on with no slowdown or flicker) while being a very sharp game too.
  • Completed World of Illusion in co-op with Retroking last week.  It's one of the best simultaneous two player platformers I can think of from the era.  Too easy, too short, and inconsistently balanced at times (plus the bosses are pretty much all weak sauce), but so pretty, so polished and so playable.  The team-up moves are quite central to the proceedings and don't feel like an afterthought, which is rare.  I prefer jumping on heads, as seen in the previous Illusion games, to the magical cape attack, but (thankfully) not all platformers play the same, and apart from the bizarre annoyance of being able to hit your partner I grew to like it quite quickly.  The pastel graphics are gorgeous, the tunes are decent and there's enough variety to spice up the left-to-right jumping (magic carpet rides, underwater sections, minecart levels). 

I remember it being quite dull in one player, but it comes alive in co-op and I'd happily play it again at some point.  Once again, it's woefully lacking in longevity and replayability, but while it lasts it's a rare two player platform treat.  Not a game you'd be happy spending £44.99 on though.  81%.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!