Just completed
  • Yeah, but only did the intro and got to village. Might stop Tomb Raider if it doesn’t improve massively soon and concentrate on better games! Need to get back to your Resi 7 as well. (Sorry)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • No, that's fine. I don't need it back. But it's a nice, straightforward 8-10 hour story, so one you could tick off without much trouble.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I need to play Resi 4.

There's lots I need to play :-(. Fricking work and life keep getting in the way though :-(
  • You’ll probably struggle with the 52 game challenge.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I need to play Resi 4. There's lots I need to play :-(. Fricking work and life keep getting in the way though :-(

You Really do.. it's legendary for a reason. I could not believe how good it was and how it kept on being good.

In fact port it to Switch and take my money already.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RE4 was decent enough to see me through to the end, but I don’t get the reverence others hold it in, personally speaking.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I need to play Resi 4. There's lots I need to play :-(. Fricking work and life keep getting in the way though :-(

You Really do.. it's legendary for a reason. I could not believe how good it was and how it kept on being good.

In fact port it to Switch and take my money already.

Yes
    Yossarian wrote:
    RE4 was decent enough to see me through to the end, but I don’t get the reverence others hold it in, personally speaking.

No
  • Human Resource Machine
    By which I mean, I’ve completed all of the mandatory levels to see the end credits. I haven’t found the most efficient solutions for all of the levels (although, I have for many) and I’ve completed all but one of the optional levels (and have achieved the optimisation challenges for a few of them, too).

For anyone who doesn’t know it, it’s by Tomorrow Corporation (World of Goo, Little Inferno, and the forthcoming 7 Billion Humans, which looks like it’s at least a spiritual sequel to this) and it’s essentially like a BASIC programming puzzle game. In each room, you have an inbox, a grid on the floor, and an outbox. Numbered (or lettered) tiles come into the inbox, and you’re given instructions as to what you need to output. You have a selection of commands, and essentially then compile a series of if-this-then-that instructions. It gradually brings in more powerful commands and, as you would expect, requires you to comply with increasingly challenging requirements.

The last level was a monster, although it didn’t help that my ultimate solution was, apparently, horrendously inefficient. I hadn’t been using the labels up until that point, but had to on the last level, to keep track of the various sub-routines and reference numbers I had all over the place. It took me a few clean-slate rewrites (and a lot of my thinking time when swimming this morning) to get my code to work then, as the code worked through the inbox, it encountered a string so long it overwrote my reference tiles, sending my results into spiralling loops. I had to go back through the whole code, moving my reference tiles to overwrite the reference tiles I no longer needed by that point in the algorithm. Then, as I ran it again, and you code churned through the long string, I noticed that the last string was one number, and I had no idea if my code was sufficiently well written to deal with just one input. I had to wait an age to find out.

It was.

Sorry, this is probably really dull, but I’ve really enjoyed HRM. It’s a while since I’ve felt the same quality of satisfaction and achievement when finding a solution in a game. Although the fact that some of my solutions exactly matching the efficiency challenges highlights that there often is one ideal solution, it feels more open than other puzzle games, more like you’ve worked out the solution for yourself, than worked out which one the developers decided you should use. Take my solution to the last level; it involved at least twice as many lines of code as I would need to meet the desired efficiency, but it’s robust, and it feels like it’s my solution.

I’ll keep going back to this game, because I want to see if I can make some of those efficiency challenges. And I need to work out how the fuck to do that last optional level; break down numbers into their prime factors, essentially just using addition and subtraction. Welp. (If you know, please don’t tell me.)

7 Billion Humans will be a must-buy for me next year.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm up to level 20 or so, enjoying it too. Check out the puzzle thread for others you might enjoy, eg Zachtronics and a few others.

Don't know anything about 7 Billion Humans but will go look...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ah ok it's a pretty similar looking sequel. Will crack on with this for the time being.

I'm definitely getting less efficient as the levels progress ...
  • There’s some where I’m well over, but I nailed a few first time, and even got some in under target. On the off-chance you want to compare, here’s where I’m currently at:

Spoiler:
  • Nice review. You’ve inspired me to jump back in. Up to level 9.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Looking at that, I got the efficiency challenges for a lot fewer levels than I thought. Ah well.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Up to 29 now, just blasting through, most are over from the last 10, most (but not all) green before that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    OK just done 34, that's me for tonight.  Only done the first set of optionals mind, so a fair bit of back-filling to do...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna~The Golden Country
    And... It's over.
    My unhealthy obsession with Xenoblade 2 has reached its end, with a thoroughly satisfying ending that does what all good prequels do, setting up the next part, and it doea so with equal parts sadness and happiness that I know where the plot comes.
    It has been a strange ride with the game. After getting the original title on launch day in December last year, I fell into and then out of love with it. It wasn't until round about May, I think, that I picked it up again. From then on, it was a lot of brute forcing my way through the game, as the impenetrable system of mechanics, combat levels and so forth were completely gone by then. And then, bizarrely enough, on the final boss fight, I finally understood how all the pieces fit together. So it finally finished with me sitting there going "but... But now I get it", and having nothing more to do, unless I wanted to NGP it.
    Roll round to the end of September and Torna is suddenly coming. I've completely consumed it, doing a full run, with all community, meaning all side quests, and maxing out as many of the skills as I can. And I've adored it. Plot wise, it fills in a lot from the main game, particularly around Mytrha and Assam (and I guess Jin) but what I've enjoyed more is being in an RPG world where I genuinely understand everything. The mechanics, the need to ensure I was picking up stuff, the way combat works, it has all been so satisfying to me, and I've consumed it as comfort gaming as life and work have been tricky over the past few weeks. Add in a soundtrack that plays with variations of themes I already know, and some real satisfaction in narrative beats, and I'm just over the moon with it. I will, at some point, NGP both this and the main game, but not yet. Anyway, personally it has been a great crutch to rely on, it's a stunner visually, and it just has enough of that JRPG silliness to see it there. I adored it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I have also now done Human Resource Machine

Probably not quite as gushing as Andy, as it slightly feels like Zachtronics-lite, but still some good puzzly challenge to be had.

I've got two optional levels to go (currently feeling smug that I've just simultaneously beaten (not just matched) both targets on Alphabetizer, so parking it there for the night), then a bit more polishing perhaps.  But yeah, good clean fun really, and makes me glad there are sensible programming languages these days.  [8] bits in ya byte.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    All levels now done, but not all optimized (and some a fair bit over....)
  • Including the prime one? Well done. I’ve been going through optimising them. Occasionally shaking my head at the youthful naivety I demonstrated in some of my codes in those heady teen years.
  • JonB wrote:
    How many hours did you put into it?
    Sorry, just edited it in. About 60 to the credits. Could certainly be done quicker though.

That's reassuring - hoping to have this completed before Red Dead Redemption comes out.

Think I can stick to the story from here without guilt - haven't been blown away by any of the side content, and have been actively avoiding fights with monsters for the last couple of hours.

Seem to be enjoying it pretty much the same as you.  Enjoyable stuff but hoping for a little more.

Still loving the graphics (some of the bosses especially look incredible) and it's old school style is very charming.

EDIT Sorry if anyone got spoiled by my post
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I assume that was supposed to be spoilered.

I was at around 35 hours at that point and flagging a bit. But the second half is faster paced and really the best part once it gets going.
  • Yeah, I f**ked the spoil tags up.  Sorry to anyone if they got spoiled.

That’s good; I’m only at 27 hours.  Should have time to finish it.  Also good to hear things pick up in general.
  • You still have time to put on spoiler tags.
  • Ended up deleting the offending bit just to be safe!
  • JonB wrote:
    expecting a lot of post-credits stuff now

Did you end up having a look at that stuff

Managed to beat it in a very brisk 45.30.

There is indeed some great stuff after the credits.  I'm miles too underlevelled to see it all though.

One bit in particular, my starting 4 got wiped out before we'd had a chance to attack.  Checked an online guide, and it said it was a tough fight even at level 99.  I'm still in my 40's!  Time to call it a day.

Really liked the game, though I would have loved it with a handful of changes (fights being more entertaining (with a normal battle camera), item management not being fiddly, no crafting (nothing more deflating than finding a treasure chest and finding a crafting ingredient, or a recipe!)).

Fun succinct (for a jprg) story with likable characters and a beautiful setting. Had a great time with it.
  • I played for a few hours or so after the credits. I was surprised how much more story there was, rather than just some optional dungeons and bosses. But when I realised it was basically a whole new part of the game I decided to take a break and play something else. Will go back to it in a few months I think.

Also, crafting is one of the best bits. Finding recipes is much better than finding a single piece of equipment!
  • I was surprised too.  The main story was was complete and satisfying.  Might be a bit of a trend with similarish games like Nier and the Bravely Defaults being a bit weird with how to end and continue a story.  I don't mind it.

Agree to disagree re: the crafting!

Will probably replay it, when it's cheap on Steam in a couple of years, and try some of the difficulty modifiers, fully level up and see it all the way through.
  • Just completed 'What remains of Edith Finch'.
    Whoa, that's some next level storytelling right there. So much depth and layers to it. I love it!

It's also perfect Halloween fodder.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • That tune though, eh? Beautiful.
  • The whole presentation, and that includes the music, is stunning. Sets a new standard in interactive storytelling.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!