Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Flashback I would definitely play again.
  • That counts as two votes, Flashback added as week ten.

Which Back to the Future Hodge?
  • YAY ! I wonder if I can be bothered to set my Amiga up. You know, for Flashback, I just might.
  • I just watched a video of the first level of Plok (next week's game).  I think mistercrayon was on a wind up, it looks SHITE.  I said that about Bollockoff's Magic Football and had to eat my words though.
  • Not sure. I just remember being on a galloping horse and you had to react to obstacles/bullets coming your way. Possibly 3? It was along time ago and I haven't seen the films to be able to make a link.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Plok doesn't look too bad. Only problem I'd see is that it looks very colourful!!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • That sounds like the Mega Drive Back to the Future 3 game I think.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeah MD back to the future was based on the third film and is notorious for being impossible to get past the first level
  • I remember it being ridiculously hard but impossible?? Sounds like more of a reason to give it a try.
  • I'm up for it then, why not - if only to hear the Megadrive soundchip sing again. It is a truly abysmal game though, I borrowed it once. Probe knew their way around an awful tie-in; the heady Croydon night life must've wiped its feet.
  • Fuck it, one more vote for Back to the Future 3
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just watched a vid. Best of luck! I've a funny feeling the first level wil be getting skipped after a few attempts. Vaguely remember the first person shooting though so it can be done. My brother probably managed it to stop a little me whining about how hard it was.
  • This is a good a place as any to say that Moot, I love you for that Koshiro soundtrack. Listening to SoR 2 at the moment and it is as gorgeous as it always was and is taking me back to my childhood. 

I'll be buying up those Koshiro soundtracks. The one you gave me doesn't have Actraiser on it tough. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Good stuff.  Best Collection vol.1 has Actraiser, I thought I had the MP3s, but I don't.  I might get it at some point though, mainly for Story of Thor. 

I'll be angling for Actraiser votes here at some point.  I've only ever played the first couple of levels of the arcade mode, it seemed like a much better game than Strider.  Or Rastan Saga II, which was my shoddy Sega equivalent as a kid.
  • The action stages aren't as good as the sim stages, IMO. Together though they make an overall great game.
  • Week seven: Plok (SNES)

Released in 1993, developed by Software Creations (Ste & John Pickford).  It's an eye poppingly colourful platformer starring Plok, who is searching for his grandpappy's flag.  Plok uses detatchable limbs to dispose of enemies (pre-dating Rayman), but certain switches require you to sacrifice a limb for a short time, so some sections require planning rather than carefree jumping/attacking.  Reviews at the time were generally favourable, and the game was praised for its size.  Good luck, it's also hard as nails. 

At the time of writing it remains unreleased on Virtual Console, but perhaps signing this red hot petition will help?

snes-plok-box-front.jpg
  • Id like to say that this game is really good. Its really damn hard (only beat it because of saves states).

I quite like the bosses. They're fairly straight forward in method but do get trickier to beat!

The graphics are brilliant. Even though it is clearly of its time its lack of cutting edgeness mean it doesn't look rubbish now.

there's one level about three quarters of the way through where you have to traverse purely on your arse and its a right bitch. That's about as far as I got playing as a kid.

also don't play easy mode (Childs play). Because it pulls out a number of levels (including some of the funniest bits of the game).
  • I might see about this. Used to have it and remember it being pretty good. Certainly original in its art design, and some catchy music.
  • I've played around 90 minutes of it so far.  I was quite enjoying it as a straightforward get to the flag romp, but now that I have to find all the fleas to finish the level the enjoyment has been sucked out a little (a lot).  I'm hoping the flea destroying sections take a back seat to straight ahead platforming soon. 
    Even though it is clearly of its time its lack of cutting edgeness mean it doesn't look rubbish now.

This is a great quote, I had this conversation the other day.  Back when most of us were begging for digitised sprites, silicon graphics, virtual reality and polygons, games considered old hat graphically were unfairly derided in some circles.  What looks better now though, Dragon or Primal Rage?  Tournament Fighters or Ballz?  Yoshi's Island or Bug!?  Comix Zone or Johnny Bazookatone?
  • I have mint copy on SNES. Hard game. Never completed it. Lovely Follin music.
  • My friend looooves Plok. Might give him a push in this direction.
  • The game has just become decolourised and I'm now playing as Plok's grandpappy in a flashback, who looks similar to Plok but has a walrus moustache.  And when you pause the game it says 'intermission' instead of 'paused', which is a nice touch.  Also, you just have to find the exit, rather than kill all the enemies, so I'm quite happy with it again.

Edit: Grandpappy's section done.  I struggled with the boss, again.  Even though it was basically the first boss in black & white.  Back to the flea hunt...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The sepia levels are really nicely done - I like the old style plinky plonk music too in that section. The boss has all 3 Bobbins Bros as this was before they separated due to artistic differences.

Got to a large cavern level in this back in the day - don't think it was that far from the end...will boot it up again. There are some rather useful warps to find too - something to do with shooting certain pieces of fruit in the trees. Moving in the opposite direction you would expect at the start of a level reveals some too if I remember right.

The bug hunts can be annoying but There's a buzzsaw-style move you get after the B&w section that comes in pretty useful with the bugs/fleas. You can pick up wasp nests that let you launch homing missile style attacks on them too.

I remember liking the costumes quite a bit - the blunderbuss costume and the cowboy were highlights - great music.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The cowboy might have had good music but it was a comedy shit power and useful for one purpose only.

The warps are interesting as you have to risk no energy to check if there's a warp.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If I remember correctly you shoot the fruit to make it bigger (more energy) but if you shoot it too much it disentegrates - if you grab the fruit when its at max size then you get the warp.

It must be 20 years since I played this - I have no idea how I can remember that.

EDIT: I'm wrong - memory not as good as I thought -, crayon is right - if you shoot the fruit when it's at max size it will either disentegrate or open the warp...all coming back now

Think I got to the boss that has hands coming up out of the ground...

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If Flashback is added I am IN. 

I have it on Mega Drive cartridge!
  • The first half of Flashback is still brilliant.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I gave up at the violent gameshow bit.....tried it again a while back - the controls are hard to go back to.

• The controls were a pain at first. We were stuck on the first two screens for ages.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!