Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Sounds good moot, with one request. Call week eight Play Your Illusion and use this pic...

220pxgnruseyourillusion.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • In preparation for Power of Illusion, week eight is now Play Your Illusion week, so take your pick from Castle, World, Land or Legend. No bad apples in that bunch.
  • How did everyone get on with Castlevania? Anyone else manage to complete it?

Duck Tales week moot, you completed it already? lol
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I have completed it already, but I'm gonna pretend I wasn't being impatient and not post about it until at least Wednesday.
  • I'm on the final boss run. Beaten Death - now up against the sorceress.
  • Week five: Ducktales (NES)

duck_tales.cover.front.2.jpg

Released on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1989 in NA, this Capcom developed Disney platformer the sees Scrooge McDuck and his trusty cane travel the globe (and eventually - spoilerz - the moon) in search of artifacts that will help him become the world's richest duck.  No princess MacGuffins here.   According to the Wiki, the dev personnel contained members of the original Megaman team.  The five levels can be tackled in any order, but items from certain areas are needed to progress past certain obstacles in others, and two further optional treasures are hidden somewhere within the five stages.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Lets talk about the moon level music
  • Let's not, because yawn.
  • I texted Retrokings while I was playing it, the text simply read: Music to the moon level FTW.
  • Haha, classic stuff. I'll get on this one evening this week. Great (although easy and short) game.

@Choke - Did you manage to finish Bloodlines?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Not yet, I'm still working. I'll should get a chance to run through it tomorrow. From what I remember, I had to hit the sorceress multiple times before the spheres come together. The sword one appears to be an unavoidable attack.
  • Choke wrote:
    Not yet, I'm still working. I'll should get a chance to run through it tomorrow. From what I remember, I had to hit the sorceress multiple times before the spheres come together. The sword one appears to be an unavoidable attack.

yeah thats right, you have to hit her as many times as their are spheres in order for the attack not to begin.

Might try and do Duck Tales tonight. What did you think moot? How did it compare to the MS Illusion games?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ducktales (NES)

I never played this as a kid, although the original Gameboy version is one of the few Nintendo games I ever completed in the early 90s (I borrowed as Gameboy from another unfortunate child in a neighbouring hospital bed, after the family dog had torn my eyelid off).  I'm gonna weigh straight in with the opinion that it's not as good as the 8-bit version of castle of Illusion, which I consider an exceptionally good game, but it's on par with The Lucky Dime Caper, another MS Disney favourite of mine. 

I've got nothing to fault this for gameplay-wise, it's the brevity of the quest and the ease of completion I have issue with.  If only a second set of levels opened up when you finished the existing five, this could be one of the top pre-16-bit platformers.  It's great to whizz through now as a ROM, but 50 notes for something that could feasibly reveal the entirety of its charms within an hour is a bit much.  As Reg and Retro mentioned, the music (particularly the moon level) is top drawer toe-tappy stuff, and the limited attempts to make the game non linear are welcome.  I did wonder why you have to press down+B in the air to use the cane rather than just jump +B, but this probably worked better on the NES pad than it did on my Caanoo.  I'm pretty sure I finished it in around 35-40 minutes, which is probably only 10 minutes shorter than Castle Illusion, but I was pretty shocked when the credits rolled. I didn't even bother to spam the save states tbh.     

I think I'll award it a 'fun while it lasts' 85%, but I'm pretty sure if I'd owned this as a kid you could add 5% to that score.
  • Have you had a chance to check that pad out moot?I didn't get a chance to test it before I sent it
  • I just tested it out on Streetfighter Alpha III.  It works perfectly, thanks.  I'll be playing Plok with it I reckon, as SNES emulation isn't that great on the handheld.
  • Choke wrote:
    Not yet, I'm still working. I'll should get a chance to run through it tomorrow. From what I remember, I had to hit the sorceress multiple times before the spheres come together. The sword one appears to be an unavoidable attack.
    yeah thats right, you have to hit her as many times as their are spheres in order for the attack not to begin.
    All the attacks are avoidable if you're quick enough. With the sword one you can't afford to miss her at all.
  • JonB wrote:
    Choke wrote:
    All the attacks are avoidable if you're quick enough. With the sword one you can't afford to miss her at all.

Yes, once I found the rhythm - hit her, duck, shift to the other side - I managed to do it without getting hit. Just Dracula left to go but Far Cry and Baldur's Gate II have been taking up my time.
  • Let us know what you think when you do finish it Choke, late homework is fine. 

Strider starts tomorrow, I hope I do better than I did the last time I played it.
  • Ooh Strider - I forgot we're doing that!
  • What was Strider on? Think I remember playing it on the C64 but what will you guys be playing it on?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Duck Tales (NES)

Replayed it this week, it's a great 8-Bit platformer but its a bit too short. Can't be arsed to write anything else so yeah...

4/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    What was Strider on? Think I remember playing it on the C64 but what will you guys be playing it on?

Mega Drive via the Wii VC
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Oooh,interesting. Cheers 'king',might actually look into that...
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Week six: Strider (Arcade, Megadrive, Virtual Console)

Originally released as an arcade game in 1989, then subsequently ported to the Megadrive in 1990 - one of the very first 8 meg carts, hence the sticker below - this hack 'n slash platformer is fondly remembered by many gamers over a certain age.  As Hiryu, a member of an elite group of high-tech ninja-like agents (that's what it says on Wikipedia) known as Striders, your job is to assassinate the evil Grandmaster.  The game was ported to a few other consoles, but the MD, PC Engine, Playstation (as a bonus disk with Strider 2), Xbox/PS2 and VC versions are considered the only ones worth playing.

HELLO BAD BOX ART.  If I stare at it long enough I might remember who it reminds me of. 

strider-genesis.jpg
  • Love this game. Made it to the end of the airship on one continue earlier. Will give it another go later this week.
  • WorKid wrote:
    it's Gary Barlow!

I think you've nailed it, perhaps with a touch of Shatner.  He also seems to be hanging from something in the background. 

I've finished this with quicksaves.  I'll stick my neck out and say that it hasn't really stood the test of time.  I'm sure this was excellent in its day, but I found it a bit cheap and as a result unreasonably difficult towards the end, especially some of the bosses.  Fuck the boss rush on the final level, I don't think I would have had the patience/skill to do it without save states.
  • Will play this. ALSO it's Barlow plus a teeny bit of James Van Der Dawsonscreek
  • Would Back to the future be worth revisiting? Had a flashback earlier when I was talking about yesterday being the date they travelled to in the film. Also,there's another classic...Flashback. Loved that game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!