PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS)

Very mixed feelings about this one - it left me pretty frustrated.  Very high production standards, but the actual platforming simply let it down too much.  DK has too much inertia and the jumping never quite felt right, and too many of the levels relied on memory/instadeath rather than platforming reactions and instincts.  Enemies were also meh.  There was definite redemption within some levels (rotating gears & switch block levels stick out), but overall a [7] is probably me being generous.  I guess I might try the Freezy sequel - we'll see...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    80 Days (Android)

I thought I'd heard good things about this, but it didn't really win me over.  Too arbitrary in its choices, and I failed to related to any of the characters within.  Vaguely fun, but was glad it ended in success after 78 days.  [5].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Uncharted: Lost Legacy (PS4)

I really enjoyed this, with the execption of the big bit where you had to do three sections in any order / collect discs and whatnot.  As a series, it's just much better suited to tighter narrative than what that bit afforded it.  After that though, it was a great ride - and, unlike U4, it didn't outstay it's welcome.  Nothing new going on really (beyond even more Lara copying - protag, hair & grapple in particular), but a very comfortable [8]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Picross e (3DS)

Finished all the puzzles now, hurrah.  Some great ones within - it's just a genre of puzzle that works brilliantly on that device, when the levels are strong.  A few weak ones within, but generally top notch.  Don't have any of the other ones yet - but would welcome recommendations within them (and thoughts on the 3D one too...).  Another [8].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

I thought this was excellent.  I'm not a huge FPS fan, but the narrative handling was something special.  I'd be very interest on Sir @Tempy's thoughts on it in fact.  Highlights include selective amnesia, gameplay slowing down during the narrators toilet breaks, and open dishonesty.  Excellent stuff.  Also a nice tight package, again didn't outstay its welcome, and good enough visuals that I had no objections to stepping back to PS3 from PS4.  I'm in kind mood as this means @moot_geeza needs to cough up, so I'm going as high as [9]!
  • Gunslinger probably is a [9], easily my favourite FPS of the 360 gen.  Tropical Freeze is a lot better than DKCR, [7] is about right for that in single player mode.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    rain (PS3)

Yeah, hmm.  Obviously trying to do the Ico thing - male protag with female hanger-on, jointly suriving mysterious land with lethargic baddies and exploration puzzles that aren't very hard.  But it doesn't pull the charm off nearly as well - though there are some nice animation & music, decent sound effects, intriguing (though one-note) puzzle mechanic in terms of the rain itself, etc.  But just all a bit dull, and the story was nonsense, leading to the cheesiest of bollocks ending imaginable
    Spoiler:
    So yeah, hmm.  A generous [6].
  • I dug out my old review of that, I got on with it a little better:

Spoiler:
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Seems pretty fair, though my fear of the Unknown was more to do with forced replaying than care for the characters...

And yes, if forgotten about the watercolour annoying me. The text I thought was nicely rendered in-world, but yes off unnecessary... I think we basically agree o/
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)

Felt a bit meh at the start, particularly trying to get my head round the controls n stuff.  But it was definitely a grower, and it made good use of the main mechanic, stretching it in lots of different directions.  Still not exactly complex, but that was kind of a good thing as it didn't outstay its welcome.  Ending was very powerful, nice graphics - a solid [8].
  • I’ve dug out my review of that, too.

Spoiler:
  • On my Pile. Need to play it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Again, agree with all that!
  • I'm still waiting for that on PS+ or Gold.  Pretty sure I've had it free on both previous gen consoles after getting rid of them.
  • Echo (pc)

So, finished a basic playthrough.

Its solid, it's less than a chalice, but I'm not sure it did enough past proof of concept. I suspect there is hidden depth and some fun things to do with the ai etc, but the foundational play is pretty rudimentary.

Story is potentially interesting, and the two actors do a very good job, but I was possibly losing interest along the way so what should have been big reveals or clever plot twists lost me.

On to something else now.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS) Very mixed feelings about this one...

I've been pondering this one, as it's heading to Nintendo Selects and I quickly abandoned it on Wii due to the frustration you mention, thought it was possibly time to give it another shot.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)

So it's taken a while, but I'm finally there!

This one's another interesting one - it starts almost too slowly, oozing charm but failing to challenge, before going a bit flat.  But then it turns up the pressure with more ghosts and ghouls, upping the required concentration, inventively tweaking what you're doing with your hoover, and getting to the point you're battling so much with the difficulty that you start skipping past the charm!

But yes, overall, it's a good'un.  Luigi is excellent in it, and the NPCs and environments are beautifully rendered, feeling amazingly lifelike - both a great technical and artistic achievement.  As well as being a sight to behold, the sound effects (particularly the protags dismay at being sent back to the fray again, and then his humming along to the music in the less busy moments) are top-drawer.  And it's a good length (14h ish) with just about enough variety within.  

There are some unavoidable negatives though - despite the variations on it, the core gameplay does get a bit samey - it's all variations of hoovering (only in the final mansion getting sophisticated enough to involve cross-room object usage).  And the controls when dealing with crowds really did feeling like wrestling, as you're pulling ghosts all over the shop, getting pulled by the ghosts, all the while with your thumb slipping off the control stick...

Biggest single crime for me though is the lack of in-mission checkpoints.  As in, there are none.  And some levels are 20mins+ in length.  And there's a reasonable chance you'll die at least once or twice (I certainly did...), in which case repeating puzzles the appeal of which was solving them first time is just a chore... Not a tough problem to solve you'd thing, and a real downer when you hit it.  I even had to repeat once having glitched into scenery - not impressed!

But the charm wins, accidental-hero Luigi wins the show.  Could have been a [9] with a few tweaks I reckon, but despite them still a warm and cuddly, ghost-infested [8].
  • The professor's text noise is the best in all of gamedom.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    DOOM

RIP TEAR DIE CUNT SMACK YOUR FACE OFF WITH YOUR ARM RIP TEAR IM COVERED IN GUTS

[10]
  • It's for sure great.

Finished Amnesia, Resi Evil HD Remaster and Resi 7 so far this month.

I'll give them 8,9,8 respectively out of ten. Having a good time with survival horror for October. 

Next: Evil Within.
  • Halloween is the time of year for a spooky playlist indeed. Playing Hollow Knight now, might start evil within soon.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • My Resi 7 is supposed to arrive on Halloween, which is timely. If it's late I'll try the Amnesia Collection.
  • Both spooked me up well, they have an inverse spookity-curve, the openings being more scary than the later parts. The real tension and stress, in a good way, was from REHDR. No generous check-pointing or infinite saves there.
  • Metroid: Samus Returns - Thought it was great!  Also, it was the first Metroid I've ever beaten!

Was a fun map to explore even though I never solved anywhere near all of its secrets, or even really backtracked to previous levels.  The enemies were fun to fight with a couple of exceptions, and I loved the introduction of the parry move.  Not really sure about the 4 special powers that you have mapped to the d pad though; don't think they added a great deal of enjoyment to the game.

Just on that, my only real peeve with the game was with the 3DS's circle pad thingy.  I hate how it feels at the best of times, and there were a couple of encounters in this game that required some deft use of it and I really struggled with it (especially when having to swap between the morph ball and regular movement quickly).  As such I think I would have liked the game more if you could use the d-pad for movement, and just lose the 4 special powers - even if it made 360 aiming a bit shit!

Lovely looking game btw, really like that 3DS style, supercharged 32/64 bit look that you often get on that little machine!  Most of it is quite low detail but there's so much stuff going on especially in the background.  Wish I could use the 3d without a headache too; the little I used it for was spectacular.  Can't really speak of the audio as I usually had it turned down (or completely off).

Really pleased with it though and will make an effort to revisit some of the other games in the series.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yoshi's Woolly World (WiiU)

A slow burner, five of the six worlds are pretty straightforward - occasionally veering towards puzzler rather than platformer, but rarely very challenging.   But the aesthetic is nice enough throughout, and World 6 felt like an actual challenge at times.  Some nice riffs on Nintendo staples along the way (the Ghost House stands out in particular), but I never reallly warmed to the floatiness, so it's a comfortable tier below the Marios.  [7].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Steamworld Dig (PS4)

Did I dig it?  Well, kinda.  Fun enough, 4:19 to complete, kinda repetetive but just enough game loop to keep it going.  Final boss was a bit tedious but I guess they had to end it somehow!  A generous [7]?
  • If only you could play something better. Like Mario Odyssey.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If only you still had it to look forward to.  And BoTW.
  • Yes. Waiting to play something beats actually playing it. 

Moron.
  • Woah.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!